IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

1 hour ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Sounds like a ‘REGULAR’ poster has been having a stroke of other sorts. 

I have absolutely no idea who or what this is about BS? If I'm being 'whooshed', I apologise. 🫣

3 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Come on Kid….everyone gets fed by a source over time and sometimes they move on and sometimes they stay…..he’s doing no different from anyone else (if people choose to say things, which not all do to respect the source). Hes currently the most ITK city fan like it or not. 

Well most of what he spouts is bullshit, totally obnoxious thinks his word is gospel when it comes to football know how, doesn’t like to be challenged, loves the sound of his own voice, thankfully twentyman used to put him in his place and now he has people thinking he’s the bloody oracle and licking his ass

• Flames 1

27 minutes ago, stokes7 said:

Well most of what he spouts is bullshit, totally obnoxious thinks his word is gospel when it comes to football know how, doesn’t like to be challenged, loves the sound of his own voice, thankfully twentyman used to put him in his place and now he has people thinking he’s the bloody oracle and licking his ass

Are we talking about Tinnion or Ian Gay in their current iteration here. 🙃

I can see why they get on I suppose...how many interviews with Twentyman did Tinnion do in his present position I wonder.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Another normal day with everyone behaving normally.

Sometimes I’m at a loss.

Occasionally we all get hold of the wrong end of the stick (pun intended) or get into it with someone or what ever. I try to be life’s too short so spend more time arguing with people you’ve never met on the internet (joke)  

But that stuff up the page is weird!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Are we talking about Tinnion or Ian Gay in their current iteration here. 🙃

I can see why they get on I suppose...how many interviews with Twentyman did Tinnion do in his present position I wonder.

Gay used to ring up twentyman all the time talking crap and Geoff would put him in his place 

8 hours ago, milo1111 said:

He could just as easily not get much game time at boro and end up at the blue few in 2 or 3 years time. Wouldn’t surprise given the agent he has and their obsession with ex city players. Conway won’t be on his 30s by then so maybe he’ll be too young for the retirement home at that stage !!

That’s all hypothetical though. The facts are at Boro he will be on a pay rise, and a higher chance of playing in the Prem. 

• Flames 1

@Davefevs

Can I just ask, if 5m ends up being the fee would you be pleasantly surprised and would that be within the 3m of the asking price that you didn't think we'd get?

I presume if it is the lower end of the speculation at 2-3m then that is way off our initial asking price.

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

Can I just ask, if 5m ends up being the fee would you be pleasantly surprised and would that be within the 3m of the asking price that you didn't think we'd get?

Who said £8m was the quoted price we didn’t think we’d get….?

21 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

@Davefevs

I presume if it is the lower end of the speculation at 2-3m then that is way off our initial asking price.

I think what you have to remember is that per all reports, it’s a fee of up to £5m which includes all kinds of add ons. And the key is how realisable those add ons are - there was a post a few weeks ago on the Twine thread that said add ons were holding that one up, which is frankly nonsense as all the add ons which could have been put in (caps, promotion etc) were unlikely. With Conway add ons like international appearances and promotion at Boro are more likely so I’m more amenable to them, but again, they are a risk. I think people have to get the “get £5m and fund x” out of their heads because it’s not a £5m deal guaranteed. It’s more likely to be £2m, and, answering for Fevs, that is way below what the club seemed to have been quoting but IMO in line with market value considering how we’ve played this

13 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Who said £8m was the quoted price we didn’t think we’d get….?

I think we thought we’d get it! Sure it was in the EP at one stage but the club IMO set sights too high and the “up to” £5m heavily contingent on add ons is a bit of a way to try and keep egg off face in that we’ve got a far lower guaranteed deal then they’d wanted/expected

11 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

take 5m. don't let boro walk away. we could end up with nothing. 

As above, it’s not £5m. So the question you need to ask is, as add ons by nature are not guaranteed, would you take the lower mooted up front fee?

• Like 1

This is all dependant on Tommy actually wanting to go there, from what i have heard staying in the championship wasn't what he was hoping for. 

I would imagine is SL and Gibson are close then this would be one of the least likely deals to get out in the open. My guess is that his agent has leaked this news in the hope of getting better or perhaps Celtic back to the table.

Edited by Port Red

20 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

take 5m. don't let boro walk away. we could end up with nothing. 

I’m surprised that any club are interested in TC and it’s obvious why  Manning isn’t included him in future plans. The sooner Conway goes the better for all concerned.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 7

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m surprised that any club are interested in TC and it’s obvious why  Manning isn’t included him in future plans. The sooner Conway goes the better for all concerned.

Like any young player he's got the potential to improve but that's not certain and all we know is he hasn't scored more than 10 league goals in a Championship season; he's a 1 in 4 man including penalties.

He's way down the list of Championship goalscorers and that's why there seems to be no interest in him from PL clubs and why it seems he won't be offered the sort of wages he and his agent apparently believe he merits. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

As above, it’s not £5m. So the question you need to ask is, as add ons by nature are not guaranteed, would you take the lower mooted up front fee?

Personally, anything North of £1.5m actual transfer fee I would take, negotiate some "very realistic" (i.e. almost certain to materialise unless the kid bombs or Middlesbrough sell him in the January window!!) appearance and goal add-ons to get the fee up to £3m-£3.5m and then negotiate what you can thereafter (things like 25 Scotland Caps, Boro reach the Prem and as high a sell-on %age as you can etc. etc.) to take it to the £5m mooted.

It's got nothing personal to do with Conway personally, it's just a case of getting the whole thing resolved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Take away penalties, how many goals has he scored for us? 

Take away the games he’s missed through injury how many goals might he have scored for us? 
Penalties still need to tucked away and the lad has the confidence and skill to score them. 

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Personally, anything North of £1.5m actual transfer fee I would take, negotiate some "very realistic" (i.e. almost certain to materialise unless the kid bombs or Middlesbrough sell him in the January window!!) appearance and goal add-ons to get the fee up to £3m-£3.5m and then negotiate what you can thereafter (things like 25 Scotland Caps, Boro reach the Prem and as high a sell-on %age as you can etc. etc.) to take it to the £5m mooted.

It's got nothing personal to do with Conway personally, it's just a case of getting the whole thing resolved.

Probably agree. I think we’re in a place now where we don’t hold many cards and I do think it’s the right move for him and his level currently. I’d think we will be looking at that up front fee so as you say it’s all about the add ons. And we need resolution.

What is annoying at the moment is (not you) all the comments about “meh he’s not that good” and “serves him right”. Boro is absolutely the right move for him currently, but on a more pertinent level, had we just signed a 21 year old striker who’d been top scorer for his club at this level two seasons running and just got international honours for a (say) £2m fee, those same people would be congratulating the club for pulling off a great deal, so the bitterness here is palpable.

End of the day we’ve undersold him based on market because of how we handled things. It might be a level below what he wants but it’s the right level for him. There aren’t any real winners here, but closing it off is wise for all parties.

• Like 4
  • Flames 4

18 minutes ago, Nuno Gomes said:

"Steve nest egg Lansdown’,

Steve used the term nest egg!!

I mean I'm sure it is for the betterment of the club, but he himself used it on a rather puzzling Interview on BBC Radio Guernsey in August 2023. The phrase and discussion was just a City snippet within a wider one.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, citywest30 said:

@Davefevs

Firstly as others have said the transfer fee itself will be less than £5m.  

I’ve heard £2m transfer fee + £3m add-ons.

Ive heard £3m transfer fee+ £2m add-ons.

In both cases I’ve no further insight into what the add-ons are, nor whether there would be a sell-on.

If Ian Gay is reading or Lez / Dog / <insert new forum name> would like to feed back to him, the payment terms will be based on the transfer fee (so somewhere between £2m and £3m as it stands).  There is no amortisation, his book value is £0, it’s all transfer profit, and will be booked into the accounts in full on the day he is sold.  It is this that will count for FFP / P&S, not when we receive the “cash” (payment terms).

Also, I don’t believe City have accepted this offer from Boro, I understand they don’t think it’s enough.

Nor is it anywhere near what they quoted one club, to part answer your initial Q.

Sorry, I’m not gonna divulge the amount.  

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think what you have to remember is that per all reports, it’s a fee of up to £5m which includes all kinds of add ons. And the key is how realisable those add ons are - there was a post a few weeks ago on the Twine thread that said add ons were holding that one up, which is frankly nonsense as all the add ons which could have been put in (caps, promotion etc) were unlikely. With Conway add ons like international appearances and promotion at Boro are more likely so I’m more amenable to them, but again, they are a risk. I think people have to get the “get £5m and fund x” out of their heads because it’s not a £5m deal guaranteed. It’s more likely to be £2m, and, answering for Fevs, that is way below what the club seemed to have been quoting but IMO in line with market value considering how we’ve played this

I think we thought we’d get it! Sure it was in the EP at one stage but the club IMO set sights too high and the “up to” £5m heavily contingent on add ons is a bit of a way to try and keep egg off face in that we’ve got a far lower guaranteed deal then they’d wanted/expected

I wish James Piercy hadn’t put that number in his headline.

My view is that his transfer fee value is circa £3m in this window.  That might flex with add-ons / how late in the window it goes on until.  I think the presence of a Premier League club could bump it up too.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

This shorthand of £5m is just lazy and misleading. Excellent post Dave.

A City page I post on or read- not City Till I Die but Bristol City BS3 whatever it is called- basically had the OP or Admin citing an article and writing

"£5m"

😠

I have no inside Intel £2-3m rising to £5m if and only if Add-Ons sounds about what I'd expect at this stage I agree, these circs.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Firstly as others have said the transfer fee itself will be less than £5m.  

I’ve heard £2m transfer fee + £3m add-ons.

Ive heard £3m transfer fee+ £2m add-ons.

In both cases I’ve no further insight into what the add-ons are, nor whether there would be a sell-on.

If Ian Gay is reading or Lez / Dog / <insert new forum name> would like to feed back to him, the payment terms will be based on the transfer fee (so somewhere between £2m and £3m as it stands).  There is no amortisation, his book value is £0, it’s all transfer profit, and will be booked into the accounts in full on the day he is sold.  It is this that will count for FFP / P&S, not when we receive the “cash” (payment terms).

Also, I don’t believe City have accepted this offer from Boro, I understand they don’t think it’s enough.

Nor is it anywhere near what they quoted one club, to part answer your initial Q.

Sorry, I’m not gonna divulge the amount.  

I wish James Piercy hadn’t put that number in his headline.

My view is that his transfer fee value is circa £3m in this window.  That might flex with add-ons / how late in the window it goes on until.  I think the presence of a Premier League club could bump it up too.

Tbf if it’s either 3+2 or 2+3 I’m very surprised that we haven’t bitten their hand off, I really hope we aren’t going to jeopardise this deal by marketing him unrealisticly

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

Tbf if it’s either 3+2 or 2+3 I’m very surprised that we haven’t bitten their hand off, I really hope we aren’t going to jeopardise this deal by marketing him unrealisticly

I’m not, because City think he’s worth a darned sight more…as I’ve been saying for about 67 pages! 🤣🤣🤣

Of course, whether they can eke any more out of Boro or attract anyone else is going to be tested over the coming hours, days and weeks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

I don't get why we aren't pushing for more. If we paid nearly 2m for a striker much less promising than Conway in Armstrong, I'd hope we get at least double.

2 hours ago, Port Red said:

This is all dependant on Tommy actually wanting to go there, from what i have heard staying in the championship wasn't what he was hoping for (i.e he was expecting a move to the Prem)

I would imagine is SL and Gibson are close then this would be one of the least likely deals to get out in the open. My guess is that his agent has leaked this news in the hope of getting better or perhaps Celtic back to the table.

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Be glad when he has finally gone so all this is put to bed. He isn't as good as he thinks he is, very simple.

I've seen loads of comments of this nature about Conway.

Is there any actual evidence for either of these things? Surely only those who have spoken to Tommy know how good he thinks he is and the level he thinks he should be playing at?

All we really know is that he doesn't want to continue playing for Bristol City.

• Like 1

Just now, citywest30 said:

I don't get why we aren't pushing for more. If we paid nearly 2m for a striker much less promising than Conway in Armstrong, I'd hope we get at least double.

Bear in mind Armstrong was in exactly the same contractual situation, if not the same situation relationship wise with the club.

1 minute ago, citywest30 said:

Because we are in probably the weakest negotiation standpoint imaginable

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not, because City think he’s worth a darned sight more…as I’ve been saying for about 67 pages! 🤣🤣🤣

Of course, whether they can eke any more out of Boro or attract anyone else is going to be tested over the coming hours, days and weeks.

I don’t see where City are coming from thinking he’s worth more than that with a year left on his deal

3 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

I don’t see where City are coming from thinking he’s worth more than that with a year left on his deal

Agree. 

If I was Boro I’d be asking if he was so good why isn’t he in the squad now. If City answer that they’ve replaced him with £2m Sinclair then surely that’s all Conway is worth. 

Just now, citywest30 said:

We were pushing for more, but no one was interested at that price.

Understandable, given that we've publically shown that we're desperate to get rid, he's keen to leave, and everyone knows we'll lose him for next to nothing in 12 months time.

Also, in fairness, if the £2m-£3m up front with add ons taking it to around £5m is correct, then it is roughly double what we paid for Armstrong (both in terms of up front fee and total deal).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bcfc24 said:

There is a case where he is, and it’s been articulated many times across these pages. That case is where you intend to use the player, who by your own valuation you believe is your best asset. In such a circumstance clubs have to pay you a premium to effectively compensate you for the fact you will no longer have the player to use.

As, however, has been articulated because we don’t intend to use the player that “compensation” for lost goals, assists, availability etc gets removed.

And in a nutshell that’s why we had to pay what we did for Sinclair Armstrong - also 1 year left on contract but not frozen out by QPR. If he had have been, we’d have got the player for less.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Is there any actual evidence for either of these things?

No there's not, people are just sour that an academy product has bigger aspirations then playing for City and can't seem to grasp the concept of a fixed term contract. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I've seen loads of comments of this nature about Conway.

Is there any actual evidence for either of these things? Surely only those who have spoken to Tommy know how good he thinks he is and the level he thinks he should be playing at?

All we really know is that he doesn't want to continue playing for Bristol City.

The story is that someone saw him “down corn st acting a bit of a knob, mind” so he’s tarred for ever! 😉😉😉

11 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

I see why City might think he’s worth more, but I don’t agree with them! 😀😀😀

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

No there's not, people are just sour that an academy product has bigger aspirations then playing for City and can't seem to grasp the concept of a fixed term contract. 

Jilted bride mentality, “she was a minger anyway”.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Exactly this.   And from grown ups as well.  Quite funny really….! 

Honestly, some of the things I’ve read on Twitter this week about Conway, truly pathetic. I actually feel embarrassed for them.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

Supply and demand I’m afraid. If the demand isn’t forthcoming then we can ask whatever the juice we want it makes no difference. 
In principle I agree with you. 

• Like 3

Including Penalties he is a bit better than 1 in 4.

73 Games, 19 Goals.

Strip out Penalties and it is 14 in 68.

4 Assists on top.

He has a lot to learn and is by no means the finished article but think he stacks up well things considered- weighted for age, potential etc.

41 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Supply and demand I’m afraid. If the demand isn’t forthcoming then we can ask whatever the juice we want it makes no difference. 
In principle I agree with you. 

I agree but there is no way he could be valued the same as Armstrong. We should definitely be trying to get more if we can. Like I said a number of pages ago, would be disappointed with less than 5m tho I accept that is now only likely with some incentives that may or may not come to fruition.

Just now, Lrrr said:

Wouldn't mind Odobert....

Yes good shout. Value is roughly the same as Tommy right?

2 minutes ago, BCFCJK93 said:

Give us Massengo back! 

Very good idea. 

I wondered about Brownhill maybe?

There must be someone we've got an eye on in their squad.

Anyway, we should probably check who's gone on their pre-season tour as anyone out there is a no go.

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Exactly this.   And from grown ups as well.  Quite funny really….! 

If we sold him for 2 million and he ended up getting 20 goals, playing in the prem, playing and scoring for Scotland then those same grown ups will be complaining that we let him leave for so cheap. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

35 minutes ago, City Slicker said:

Robbored, I normally think you get a hard time on here, but you've had a stinker with this one. 

It’s my opinion CS, this is a forum after all and opinions differ. It’d be really dull if we all agreed

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Well we have Armstrong and apparently he's basically the same player as Tommy, so we're on our way.

No he isn’t at all. Armstrong is built like a brick shit house and able to bully defenders and is lightening quick. Whilst TC  had decent pace he’s not as rapid as Armstrong nor could he ‘bully’ defenders.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s my opinion CS, this is a forum after all and opinions differ. It’d be really dull if we all agreed

Quite right.

I’d take your in depth knowledge of the game over Michael Carrick’s every day.

What has he done in football?

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No he isn’t at all. Armstrong is built like a brick shit house and able to bully defenders and is lightening quick. Whilst TC  had decent pace he’s not as rapid as Armstrong nor could he ‘bully’ defenders.

Oh thanks.

Could you also tell me what religion the Pope adheres to? 

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Quite right.

I’d take your in depth knowledge of the game over Michael Carrick’s every day.

What has he done in football?

How many City managers have made poor signings? The list is almost endless.

• Confused 1