IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No he isn’t at all. Armstrong is built like a brick shit house and able to bully defenders and is lightening quick. Whilst TC  had decent pace he’s not as rapid as Armstrong nor could he ‘bully’ defenders.

Obviously forgetting Forest at home iirc. Bullied the big centre half, did him for pace was brought down in the box and the ref waved play on.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No he isn’t at all. Armstrong is built like a brick shit house and able to bully defenders and is lightening quick. Whilst TC  had decent pace he’s not as rapid as Armstrong nor could he ‘bully’ defenders.

But Conway was 10x the finisher

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

How many City managers have made poor signings? The list is almost endless.

I mean, it's not, there's only a finite number of people who've been City manager...

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

But Conway was 10x the finisher

He can be 100 times the finisher, it makes no difference because he wants out (and that applied when Nige was in charge too), he's off to another Championship club. It's not like we have swapped them 100% out of choice. The only "issue" is whether we have taken the correct steps to maximise the value of a player who was always going to leave. One for the hierarchy to explain in due course.................

We've got Mayulu and Armstrong, that's who we have to get behind this season like it or not. I certainly won't be worrying or rushing to find out what Tommy Conway does elsewhere, that's for sure.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We don’t know that yet - none of us have seen Armstrong play in the Championship.

1, we have 2, he can’t hit a barn door with a banjo (although that’s not to say his finishing won’t get better with time/coaching) 3, I can pretty much guarantee Tommy is a better finisher than him currently

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We don’t know that yet - none of us have seen Armstrong play in the Championship.

Its hard for you to be much more wrong then you have been previously but wow you're out doing yourself here

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 3

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He's played 55 times in the Championship

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Its hard for you to be much more wrong then you have been previously but wow you're out doing yourself here

Yep, those 61 Championship appearances were obviously all a mirage..

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A Talksport pundit (fwiw) thinks if Middlesbrough can pull off the Conway deal it would be a top addition for them.

https://www.boro.news/news/talksport-pundit-offers-verdict-on-middlesbrough-transfer-target-tommy-conway/

I don't listen to it save for the occasional FFP or City related but yeah.

Quite a few Bristol City pundits.......think otherwise, but will be absoultely delighted if we achieve 5 Mill for him?  😄

4 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

1, we have 2, he can’t hit a barn door with a banjo (although that’s not to say his finishing won’t get better with time/coaching) 3, I can pretty much guarantee Tommy is a better finisher than him currently

There's no doubt (to me) if Conway goes to Boro, is supplied by Azaz and managed by Carrick, then he will score 12/15 goals at least next season.

Armstrong, on the other hand, supplied by Mehmeti will be lucky to get up to 9 goals.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

Sinclair Armstrong is certainly a poor finisher theres no real hiding that, Mayulu and Conway are both decent finishers. At least, for the standard of the division.

It's interesting though Conway played 700 more minutes (equivalent to about 8 matches) than Wells last season, but Wells actually had more/higher quality chances created for him in total. Maybe the chance creation issue is a two-way street?

Edited by MythikRobins
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

There's no doubt (to me) if Conway goes to Boro, is supplied by Azaz and managed by Carrick, then he will score 12/15 goals at least next season.

Armstrong, on the other hand, supplied by Mehmeti will be lucky to get up to 9 goals.

Boro will have to change their style to accommodate Conway.

4 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

Sinclair Armstrong is certainly a poor finisher theres no real hiding that, Mayulu and Conway are both decent finishers. At least, for the standard of the division.

It's interesting though Conway played 700 more minutes (equivalent to about 8 matches) than Wells last season, but Wells actually had more/higher quality chances created for him in total. Maybe the chance creation issue is a two-way street?

Interested to know how you can say with certainty that Mayulu (6 goals in Austria’s top league last season) is a decent finisher for the standard of the division.

One that he’s never played in.

We have bought potential, not proven & anyone suggesting otherwise is simply guessing.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

10 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I agree mostly, question is I guess does he get in ahead of Latte-Lath. next cab off the rank, does he perhaps play behind him.

If we can get a creative 10 and a consistent structure perhaps the game changes. Perhaps Yu can be a bit of a gamechanger too injury permitting. However Middlesbrough are very much more creative than us atm.

Just now, GrahamC said:

Interested to know how you can say with certainty that Mayulu (6 goals in Austria’s top league last season) is a decent finisher for the standard of the division.

We have bought potential, not proven & anyone suggesting otherwise is simply guessing.

Let’s be honest all 3 of our signings this summer have been massive gambles (que everyone telling me every transfer is a gamble) 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Just now, GrahamC said:

You can see every single shot he took in every game he's played quite easily if you truly wanted to (or were bored enough to like me). Also, the Austrian Bundesliga and the Championship are pretty comparable divisions so is it unreasonable to expect it to somewhat apply here? 

Conway is decent. Not a ‘great’ at the moment, but has significant potential. For me, he is a ‘natural’ striker. His instincts create goal opportunities for him and he’s got calmness in front of goal. These are rare attributes and are extremely difficult to coach - you either have it, or you don’t. 

I await to see whether the two strikers we’ve bought are ‘natural’ finishers. If they’re not and we sell Conway, I fear another season in the doldrums. The only hope in the ‘we’ve bought another couple of donkeys’ scenario, would be if Bell can emulate Conway - which he could, Cornick is reborn, Wells has age reversal treatment or Manning sees the light - which he won’t - and plays Sykes in the ‘hole’. 

Anyhows, as the Club slogan says ‘always believe’ that our brilliant recruitment team have hit the striker bullseye and we’ve got ourselves a couple of quality 10-15 goal players.

25 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

So only the 9 from Mehmeti, add about 16 from Yu (if his leg has been sewn back on by the start of the season obviously) and he'll be doing alright.........................

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, City Slicker said:

The club really have ballsed up here. Imagine looking after a local talent since they were 7, get him to a good championship standard, piss about with his contract, then loose him for well below market value. 

It's a worry to think how bloody thick 'they' actually are....and mind boggling to think how they rise to the position they find themselves 🙂

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

So only the 9 from Mehmeti, add about 16 from Yu (if his leg has been sewn back on by the start of the season obviously) and he'll be doing alright.........................

Crikey, if Mehmeti scores 9 goals next season, even a sceptic like me will be one of his biggest fans.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

Crikey, if Mehmeti scores 9 goals next season, even a sceptic like me will be one of his biggest fans.

I was thinking assists to the Big Man but I'll take nine goals instead........................in all seriousness, he SHOULD be looking to score a half dozen if he wants to move on to the next level of being a solid Championship performer. Sykes would get you that if played for a full season, so would Bell from the wide left and hopefully this Wu kiddie can notch a few too.

Bell is the one for me that needs to step it up a gear if he is to enjoy a successful career at the higher levels of the game. He's not "promising" any more......he's 22.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Selred said:

But you missed QPR every time they were on TV?

I only saw the Championship highlights on Sky. QPR must have been on but i don’t remember seeing them.

Tommy at the same age got 9 Goals, 34 Games Conversion Rate very decent. None of them penalties.

Albeit Tommy and Sinclair seem to be a different profile of Players in any event. What the latter did get was 3 Assists to add to the 3 Goals.

That said Tommy also got 3 Assists in 2022-23 but Sinclair can seem to play a bit wider too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I only saw the Championship highlights on Sky. QPR must have been on but i don’t remember seeing them.

Why did you take such an interest in Boro where you remember every game, but don't remember any QPR games?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

It's a worry to think how bloody thick 'they' actually are....and mind boggling to think how they rise to the position they find themselves 🙂

If Nige had been manager it WOULD have been dealt with by January and if Tommy had indicated he wasn't signing we would have listed him, no doubt about that. Whether you liked his football, think he underperformed or whatever he did bring that experience and know-how to the party imo. I wouldn't blame Liam for not doing that though because he had enough on his plate establishing himself enough to get a fair crack this season and very few breaks in between to think about the Tommy Conway Contract situation tbf to him. That is where you need somebody above Liam to step in.............but they never had Nige to advise them.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Selred said:

Why did you take such an interest in Boro where you remember every game, but don't remember any QPR games?

Because Boro were higher up and far more interesting to watch than QPR who iirc spent much of last season near the relegation zone.

• Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I am also interested on that note as to whether NP and especially NP plus Gould in unison in a counter-factual world would've considered it prudent to put TC in the U21s to train?

He did it to Massengo

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Appears to be a Middlesbrough supporter too.

I remember a chap I worked with telling me that signing Flint from us was the icing on their cake and they would walk the league that season.

He didn't like it when I said it was entirely plausible that we had seen his best years and they had better have a quick player to play along side him, and that teams had sussed him out as an attacking force too.

They finished 7th, 3 points ahead of us and Flint scored 1 goal in 39. 

I guess my point is that, some 'Boro supporters don't know their arse from their elbow, like all clubs.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

He did it to Massengo

He continued to train with the first team though as per a Report last year.

Fortunately he found a loan move to Auxerre in January, it was mid-season.

With a key asset though, hmm- harder to say.

1 hour ago, City Slicker said:

Question to anyone. What would you suggest TC would be worth in the market if he still had 2 years left on his contract? 

A lot closer to eight figures, in this market 7-8m would seem pretty reasonable. Have a sneaking suspicion that’s what the club where valuing him at the start of this summer anyway. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Before the start of that season i would’ve called Massengo a key asset to be honest. 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair point, thought he was dropped mainly to U21s.

Think the difference is, we have maybe known since TC returned or maybe before then, that he was not signing a contract so therefore had to be moved on to retain any value in him. According to the Northern Echo Boro have held an interest in him for some time and no doubt other have perhaps been in contact and waiting to see what happened. So assume BCFC know of the interest and were confident they could move him on this window, just about at what price and if maybe having to push Tommy to club he may not have been so keen on. (thought of wasting away in u21's and not just seeing out his contract is a significant pressure)

I see no issue with going in the U21's with above seeming to be the way things are panning out, I don't think it has any bearing on his value as anyone who is going to stump up several million on a player will have done there due diligence. Had he played in our pre-season and either performed badly or worse got injured then that could have impacted both value and if he moved on.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

He did it to Massengo

If you remember, Massengo said his goodbyes to the crowd on the final day of the season, before he left. Massengo then messed the club around all summer and didn't get his transfer. Instead of banishing him to the U21's, NP integrated him in to the first team squad during pre season. From day one of the season and after deadline day Massengo was very much a part of the first team until his atrocious display A to Birmingham in November after which, Pearson's patience with him was exhausted and he was dropped. He then went on loan to Auxerre in January until his contract expired.

How can you possibly compare that to the Conway situation.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, George Rs said:

Before the start of that season i would’ve called Massengo a key asset to be honest. 

Hard to say. I think he got overplayed a bit joining from Monaco. Then I don't think he was altogether suited to how we often set up and vice versa like a few players in that era.

I'm open minded on it. In a central 2 no, in a bona fide central 3 yes perhaps moreso.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hard to say. I think he got overplayed a bit joining from Monaco. Then I don't think he was altogether suited to how we often set up and vice versa like a few players in that era.

I'm open minded on it. In a central 2 no, in a bona fide central 3 yes perhaps moreso.

Yeah it was definitely a weird one. But looking at the base facts a 18yr old monaco youth player for £3m (or whatever we ended up paying) who started games for us immediately puts him up there imo. 

Edited by George Rs
  • Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Honestly, some of the things I’ve read on Twitter this week about Conway, truly pathetic. I actually feel embarrassed for them.

Fatal error.

Don’t go on Twitter, giving it a miss is good for your blood pressure and IBD symptoms. The added bonus is you are not tempted to read the ramblings of certain individuals!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Yeah it was definitely a weird one. But looking at the base facts a 18yr old monaco youth player for £3m (or whatever we ended up paying) who started games for us immediately puts him up there imo. 

A midfield of Korey, one of Nagy and Massengo, Brownhill. Albeit Korey was injured persistently l.

That works very nicely.

The various shapeshifting under Lee Johnson? Not so much!!

10 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

If you remember, Massengo said his goodbyes to the crowd on the final day of the season, before he left. Massengo then messed the club around all summer and didn't get his transfer. Instead of banishing him to the U21's, NP integrated him in to the first team squad during pre season. From day one of the season and after deadline day Massengo was very much a part of the first team until his atrocious display A to Birmingham in November after which, Pearson's patience with him was exhausted and he was dropped. He then went on loan to Auxerre in January until his contract expired.

How can you possibly compare that to the Conway situation.

Wasn't the only one. I think Bentley played his final game for us that day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Oh thanks.

Could you also tell me what religion the Pope adheres to? 

Nick Pope?

3 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Wouldn't mind Odobert....

More likely Dilbert!

1 hour ago, City Slicker said:

Question to anyone. What would you suggest TC would be worth in the market if he still had 2 years left on his contract? 

The kind of amount city offered him at to a club this summer!!!!  Maybe City have Delorean and a Flux Capacitor, and didn’t realise the photo of Tommy had faded! 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Because Boro were higher up and far more interesting to watch than QPR who iirc spent much of last season near the relegation zone.

What about when QPR were playing teams at the top of the table?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What about when QPR were playing Middlesborough?

Wasn't on TV. I sadly looked up the fixtures to catch Robbored out.

• Haha 3

Tommy Conway, like Cole Skuse….loved because he’s a local player. Scott and Semenyo, actual class, both not local players. End of. Tommy is never in my view going to be good enough for the PL, so good luck to him if he gets more money at Boro. Let’s all move on, take away the penalties and latching onto back passes and he does very little. Snap their hand off, we don’t need him, we need a creative player! We’ve lacked that since (funnily enough) Tinnion (and he was never Graham Kavanagh level). 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

14 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Tommy Conway, like Cole Skuse….loved because he’s a local player. Scott and Semenyo, actual class, both not local players. End of. Tommy is never in my view going to be good enough for the PL, so good luck to him if he gets more money at Boro. Let’s all move on, take away the penalties and latching onto back passes and he does very little. Snap their hand off, we don’t need him, we need a creative player! We’ve lacked that since (funnily enough) Tinnion (and he was never Graham Kavanagh level). 

You realise he is still developing yeah?

Soon to turn 22, strikers don't tend to peak in many cases until their mid 20s onwards. 

Maynard didn't really get going with us until he turned 23 e.g. 

Semenyo showed flashes and an injury didn't help but turning 21 was a bit of a turning point for him although raw potential was always there.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Elemenf of sour grapes among some perhaps.

£5m or up to big difference.

No sour grapes on my behalf..........I always believe that if players wish to go, then let them go, if a player is not fully commited then they can leave...... IMHO?   I do think that TC has had his head turned by his best mates  AS's departure?    The grass isn't always greener?   And Middlesborough is either gonna be a stepping stone, or a mis-step  ?  But  I hope he does well, because if he succeeds we will get more add on financial bonuses?

• Like 2