IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

When we say "backed" it is all relative when you compare the transfer fees AND WAGES parachute clubs we compete against are able to pay out. We talk of a manager getting £5m transfer budget as being backed.......it's peanuts compared to a few in this league.

• Like 3

I don’t think we are weaker based on what we have.  What it doesn’t feel at this point is that it matches the stated ambition of the hierarchy for a playoff push. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

So Pearson was backed then?

Not as much as he’d have liked but there is a cigarette paper difference between him & Manning.

Neither get the sort of funds others in our division do.

The LJ/Ashton era saw to that.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think we are weaker based on what we have.  What it doesn’t feel at this point is that it matches the stated ambition of the hierarchy for a playoff push. 

Tend to agree with that.

The only loss from last season which may have a bearing is James imo.

To counter that we have several new and recovering players - Atkinson, Benarous, Mayulu, Yu, Bird, Stokes, Murphy. It remains to be seen if the new players are at the standard (aside from Bird), Atkinson and Benarous are dependent on their injuries being behind them. And Twine coming in will add to the depth, although Conway will be a big loss imo.

Overall, as it currently stands, its difficult to make a judgement on how well we will do, but I don't see us doing much worse than last season but nowhere near the playoffs without significant investment.

Another mid-table season methinks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Whilst I want Tommy to stay and sign a contract as I think he is a talent that will come good, we cant be held to ransom if he thinks he will be better off elsewhere, cant blame if he can get a big move, but don't think he is ready for it, and whilst we can give excuses about systems, he did not do enough or was good enough a lot of games last year, so perhaps we are better off taking the money and finding someone else if he is not prepared to commit

How is he holding the club to ransom? What has he demanded? He has not refused to play, there has been no suggestion he has asked for more money than we can afford, and he has met his contract obligations, playing to his best ability, despite the club paying far more money to other talents. 

The issue seems to be, we want him to sign a new contract because we want a bigger transfer fee. Alex Scott turned down a new contract, as did Antoine .  I do not recall anyone saying we should stick them on the bench. What is the difference? The difference is, there is no Prem club chequebook. But he is not at the level of the other two so he will attract less interest, and therefore money. He wanted to leave last summer, Celtic is the suggestion, and what a move that would be for a player (like a PP club circa £60M wage bill). You can beat him all you want, but there is a big difference playing for Celtic or Bristol City. It is not his fault no Prem club is offering £10M pus, yet it seems he is to blame for that. He has not wanted to sign a contract for some time , there will be reasons for that. But any remote chance of changing his mind went out the window with the way we now want to play, and the desire to sign 6ft 3 in forwards to play up front alone. Sign a new contract and sit on the bench anyway? Apart from the financials, it is hard to understand why the club would even want him in the squad, he does not fit the requirements of Manning. 

When it suits, we have these threads, but when we want to dump a player it does not matter about the contract. Look at the comments about Cornick and Naismith. 

I like Conway a lot, but the root of this issue goes back a long time and the club were slow to react when it counted, and then it became a cumulative impact of different factors. 

He will likely move this summer, and that will be best for all. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 3

Neither is being properly backed (IMO) but as far as these things go, as % of Wage Savings, Fees generated, Amortisation removed definitely Manning moreso it would appear.

Fees Spent on one ledger

Minus Fee(s) Generated from Sales, Loans and Sell Ons

Net Wages saved from Departures v Signings.

It's not enough for any kind of real top 6 tilt in either case but definitely NP didn't get much of what was removed put back in. (Granted for 2 years it was impossible- FFP etc).

15 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

How is he holding the club to ransom? What has he demanded? He has not refused to play, there has been no suggestion he has asked for more money than we can afford, and he has met his contract obligations, playing to his best ability, despite the club paying far more money to other talents. 

The issue seems to be, we want him to sign a new contract because we want a bigger transfer fee. Alex Scott turned down a new contract, as did Antoine .  I do not recall anyone saying we should stick them on the bench. What is the difference? The difference is, there is no Prem club chequebook. But he is not at the level of the other two so he will attract less interest, and therefore money. He wanted to leave last summer, Celtic is the suggestion, and what a move that would be for a player (like a PP club circa £60M wage bill). You can beat him all you want, but there is a big difference playing for Celtic or Bristol City. It is not his fault no Prem club is offering £10M pus, yet it seems he is to blame for that. He has not wanted to sign a contract for some time , there will be reasons for that. But any remote chance of changing his mind went out the window with the way we now want to play, and the desire to sign 6ft 3 in forwards to play up front alone. Sign a new contract and sit on the bench anyway? Apart from the financials, it is hard to understand why the club would even want him in the squad, he does not fit the requirements of Manning. 

When it suits, we have these threads, but when we want to dump a player it does not matter about the contract. Look at the comments about Cornick and Naismith. 

I like Conway a lot, but the root of this issue goes back a long time and the club were slow to react when it counted, and then it became a cumulative impact of different factors. 

Maybe he is maybe he is not holding the club to ransom allegedly we offered to make him our highest paid player (maybe I wrongly worded, who knows unless you know what he is asking for or why he has not signed),  

You blame Manning style as a reason he would not sign, but he also did not sign under NP

I have no issue if he wants to move on for his career, I do not think he is ready for that and as much as I like him and think he will come good, last season suggest he is nowhere near it yet and if he does not want to sign a contract now, let him go if we get a good offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollsRoyce said:

Bravo sir, well articulated

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Maybe he is maybe he is not holding the club to ransom allegedly we offered to make him our highest paid player (maybe I wrongly worded, who knows unless you know what he is asking for or why he has not signed),  

You blame Manning style as a reason he would not sign, but he also did not sign under NP

I have no issue if he wants to move on for his career, I do not think he is ready for that and as much as I like him and think he will come good, last season suggest he is nowhere near it yet and if he does not want to sign a contract now, let him go if we get a good offer.

Quite right, but as per my earlier post, any chance Nige might’ve had of changing his mind went (imho) because of a) the style employed b) the style employed and c) the style employed which ultimately doesn’t help Tommy’s aspirations.  The shit sandwich in this is, knowing that Tommy isn’t re-signing, the less goals he gets the opportunity to score the less money we will get for a fee.

That is the harsh reality of this outside looking in.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I clearly said this issue goes back a long way, I clearly said he wanted to leave last summer to Celtic (meaning under NP, in case you missed it, NP was our manager last summer). I also said, "But any remote chance of changing his mind went out the window with the way we now want to play". It is the final nail in the coffin. Remote chance of changing his mind. Meaning, as it seems it needs explaining, his mind was made up and nothing has happened that would cause him to change it. 

I also finished with

"I like Conway a lot, but the root of this issue goes back a long time and the club were slow to react when it counted, and then it became a cumulative impact of different factors." 

That is why he has not signed. 

So I am not sure why you missed the context of the post. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bravo sir, well articulated

Quite right, but as per my earlier post, any chance Nige might’ve had of changing his mind went (imho) because of a) the style employed b) the style employed and c) the style employed which ultimately doesn’t help Tommy’s aspirations.  The shit sandwich in this is, knowing that Tommy isn’t re-signing, the less goals he gets the opportunity to score the less money we will get for a fee.

That is the harsh reality of this outside looking in.

I think that’s a real unknown Dave, he didn’t manage to change HNMs mind.

All about opinions I know, but I think his best mate Alex Scott going really opened TCs mind to the possibilities and gave him a glimpse of what could be. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kibs said:

All about opinions I know, but I think his best mate Alex Scott going really opened TCs mind to the possibilities and gave him a glimpse of what could be. 

I think it’s really simple, Tommy doesn’t see us challenging for promotion’ play offs anytime soon’ he’s correct imo’ he’ll end up at 1 if the 2 Glasgow clubs or a championship side with more ambition than us , I can’t really blame him.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What’s confusing @sh1t_ref_again?

any chance Nige might’ve had of changing his mind went (imho) because of a) the style employed b) the style employed and c) the style employed which ultimately doesn’t help Tommy’s aspirations

so your saying the reason why he would not sign was because of the style NP employed,

1 minute ago, Glen hump said:

I think it’s really simple, Tommy doesn’t see us challenging for promotion’ play offs anytime soon’ he’s correct imo’ he’ll end up at 1 if the 2 Glasgow clubs or a championship side with more ambition than us , I can’t really blame him.

Spoke to a guy  today loosely connected to someone at the club, not itk but said one thing that has been made clear is that TC is going nowhere on the cheap , at least until January when maybe have to review, the numbers mentioned on here 1.75 million and the the likes are nowhere near , and if at least a reasonable offer well above that does not come in they will ride with it for now, which for what it’s worth I totally agree with 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Spoke to a guy  today loosely connected to someone at the club, not itk but said one thing that has been made clear is that TC is going nowhere on the cheap , at least until January when maybe have to review, the numbers mentioned on here 1.75 million and the the likes are nowhere near , and if at least a reasonable offer well above that does not come in they will ride with it for now, which for what it’s worth I totally agree with 

Hope your right’ but I think he’ll be off soon and for a lot less than we should of got for him.

19 minutes ago, Kibs said:

The point is it’s really about the club not matching Tommy’s ambitions.  He wants to move quicker than City do.  He believes other clubs will give him that opportunity. Whoever fuelled that is immaterial really, but Tommy looks pretty single-minded to me.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

The clubs prerogative to do so.

January he goes pre-contract.

The horse has bolted in reality.  Hey-ho.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The point is it’s really about the club not matching Tommy’s ambitions.  He wants to move quicker than City do.  He believes other clubs will give him that opportunity. Whoever fuelled that is immaterial really, but Tommy looks pretty single-minded to me.

Yes, definitely agree with you there Dave 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The clubs prerogative to do so.

January he goes pre-contract.

The horse has bolted in reality.  Hey-ho.

I just wonder what if anything Tommy lacks that others don't. It isn't a dig at him but a mystery to me.

Gykores final year of deal, £15-20m albeit further along in his development but also older than Tommy- but Tommy had done more at his age.

Delap, 2 years left, less proven in some ways, £15m, rising to £20m of targets hit.

Yokuslu aged 30, final year of deal linked with a £5m move back to Turkey.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

11 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

With this attitude he goes for compo.

Maybe we aren't getting any offers, but there seems a bit of a gap between our valuation and the market for him.

3 hours ago, RollsRoyce said:

" playing to the best of his ability " is abit of an over reach 😂 blokes been shit those 5 pens bailed him right out in terms of his numbers last season sooner he is gone and we sign a proper striker the better.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 3

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

.... as is the case with every young starlet we've had to let go.  People speculate where we'd be if we had hung on to player x, y and z, but what can we do?  Until we can convince them we really mean business, there's really no point in them wasting too much of their short playing career here if they're ambitious.  Pretty depressing that SL seems happy with this situation, but as he's the bloke with the dosh, we've just got to live with it and suck it up.

This is part of the reason why I share Mr Pops current lack of enthusiasm, as we seem to be on a perpetual rinse and repeat cycle, with no obvious end to it.  At least we aren't the G*s!!!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think any fan with a shred of intelligence has seen through that.
Unless we get off to a disastrous start we look like a solid mid table team. Frugal on goals conceded, not a lot of excitement to our play and struggling to score.

• Like 4

The problem is that Tommy thinks there is a big move out there and waiting for the big dream to happen. 
what he and his agent seem to have forgotten is he has to play to be in the shop window with his current attitude Manning could well freeze him out and just name Tommy on the bench. 
I just hope we don’t end up with a HNM situation. 
However if Tommy wants out so be it 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

The problem is that Tommy thinks there is a big move out there and waiting for the big dream to happen. 
what he and his agent seem to have forgotten is he has to play to be in the shop window with his current attitude Manning could well freeze him out and just name Tommy on the bench. 

I think interested clubs will have seen enough by now without the need to be in the shop window.

Might of just been a case that playing and playing well might bring in other suitors.

5 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

Clearly he isn't valued enough outside of the club for somone who he would want to go to, to part with there money looks like they would take a punt on him on a free if your conway that isn't really faith shown in him isit the club would be stupid to let player and agent fleece them if we can't find a buyer he rots in the reserves because we won't get money for him anyway sign another striker which I beileve is the intentions and move on with out him.

6 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

Why’s he got a attitude’ he’s not refusing to play’ he’s just not signing a contract’ he’s prerogative.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I think his best path would either be signing a new deal with release clause to really hone his skills as he moved from early to mid 20s, a high end Championship club or one of the Old Firm.

At the same time, clubs appear to be taking the piss in respect of offers.

3 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Why’s he got a attitude’ he’s not refusing to play’ he’s just not signing a contract’ he’s prerogative.

Then the club need to stop being so weak and bomb the little ***** out.

• Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 7

4 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

You don't just bomb an asset out of the club. You don't cut off your nose to spite your face. 

I reckon he'll go, Manning clearly wants committed players and Conway won't want to bench warm in the meantime. However, simply there will need to be compromise on the price. 

7 hours ago, 95red said:

Unless  we got a few more players  in the bag coming  in ,we're going  to start the season much weaker,very uninspiring  so  far ,both massive  gambles. 

Max Bird , Adam Murphy , Josh Stokes , Fally Mayulu , Yu Hirakawa .  Five 5️⃣ in so far to replace two 36 year olds and a loanee who never played a game ! How exactly are we weaker . 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 3

I'm conflicted.

Part of me with want away players wants to have them sit in the stand, have them compete for a place in the U21s etc.

Otoh we have a potential asset on our hands but £2m, or £1.7m or whatever well it is better than nothing but definitely a bargain for whoever gets him.

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I just wonder what if anything Tommy lacks that others don't. It isn't a dig at him but a mystery to me.

Gykores final year of deal, £15-20m albeit further along in his development but also older than Tommy- but Tommy had done more at his age.

Delap, 2 years left, less proven in some ways, £15m, rising to £20m of targets hit.

Yokuslu aged 30, final year of deal linked with a £5m move back to Turkey.

Gyokeres - playoff profile, PL “upbringing”?

Delap - PL “upbringing”?

Yokoslu - circa £2m, bigger profile?

I dunno, just hypothetical reasons

19 minutes ago, Philly The Kid said:

I think any fan with a shred of intelligence has seen through that.
Unless we get off to a disastrous start we look like a solid mid table team. Frugal on goals conceded, not a lot of excitement to our play and struggling to score.

Yep, most will have.

9 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I think interested clubs will have seen enough by now without the need to be in the shop window.

Might of just been a case that playing and playing well might bring in other suitors.

Yep. And it’s still early in the window for the “bigger” clubs.  What if Celtic have Adam Idah as their top target, and Conway second? They’ll exhaust their attempts for Idah first.  What if a Burnley or a Southampton or whoever are doing the same?

9 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Why’s he got an attitude’ he’s not refusing to play’ he’s just not signing a contract’ he’s prerogative.

Because someone saw him in Corn Street once and everyone reckons he’s a knob on nights out - think that’s how it goes.

5 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Jeez.  What’s he done to deserve that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Well I’m guessing that he’s not ‘one of (y)our own. 

Strong on the vitriol? Hangover?

Just the positive reinforcement players need 😜 

Footballers are effectively self employed with a short career/earning potential where an injury can threaten that in quick fashion. 

Benarous being the perfect example, he’s probably one long term injury away from having his dream taken from him and plummeting down the leagues and possibly ending up in non league or if it’s that bad not playing at all

I could be wrong (obvs) but this smacks of TC assessing his options with 12 months of a contract to go, he’s probably said he doesn’t want to sign and is open to leaving but that requires the club to have an asking price someone is willing to pay.

If that price is too high and no one comes in for him then the dice gets rolled again in Jan or he goes for free next summer and a lot of that is out of control. 

As I’ve said before, the club have handled this appallingly by basically airing our transfer policy in a public forum giving club(s) interested all the power. 

That said,if no one comes in then he may try and negotiate a 12 month extension on higher wages and same situation in 12 months but he might have scored 20 goals and our fee and his wage potential could be much higher. 

But for me and the reasons in the first two bits, I say good luck to the lad but it takes two to tango and the club having too high a value might be an issue as well.

But due to how we’ve dealt with this as a club we’ve created an unnecessary mess and that’s on the club not TC in my eyes anyway 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Ashton Fete said:

Footballers are effectively self employed with a short career/earning potential where an injury can threaten that in quick fashion. 

Benarous being the perfect example, he’s probably one long term injury away from having his dream taken from him and plummeting down the leagues and possibly ending up in non league or if it’s that bad not playing at all

I could be wrong (obvs) but this smacks of TC assessing his options with 12 months of a contract to go, he’s probably said he doesn’t want to sign and is open to leaving but that requires the club to have an asking price someone is willing to pay.

If that price is too high and no one comes in for him then the dice gets rolled again in Jan or he goes for free next summer and a lot of that is out of control. 

As I’ve said before, the club have handled this appallingly by basically airing our transfer policy in a public forum giving club(s) interested all the power. 

That said,if no one comes in then he may try and negotiate a 12 month extension on higher wages and same situation in 12 months but he might have scored 20 goals and our fee and his wage potential could be much higher. 

But for me and the reasons in the first two bits, I say good luck to the lad but it takes two to tango and the club having too high a value might be an issue as well.

But due to how we’ve dealt with this as a club we’ve created an unnecessary mess and that’s on the club not TC in my eyes anyway 

I get what you are saying but to be fair TC had had the contract on the table for the last year , 2 years out from the end of his contract, but the moment best mate Alex Scott got his prem move he’s obviously decided he’s having some of that so no point in signing, both the club and him are in a bit of limbo, as we won’t sell him on the cheap and for whatever reason there’s no immediate prem interest for him 

I get what you are saying but to be fair TC had had the contract on the table for the last year , 2 years out from the end of his contract, but the moment best mate Alex Scott got his prem move he’s obviously decided he’s having some of that so no point in signing, both the club and him are in a bit of limbo, as we won’t sell him on the cheap and for whatever reason there’s no immediate prem interest for him 

I’m pretty sure that long before Alex Scott went to the premier league, it would have been Tommys ambition to play at as high a level as he could.

Scotts transfer didn’t suddenly bring the Premier League into his mind.

It amazes me how many people seem to have an insight into the mind and thoughts of Tommy Conway and how he is as a person, without even knowing him 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

You don't just bomb an asset out of the club. You don't cut off your nose to spite your face. 

I reckon he'll go, Manning clearly wants committed players and Conway won't want to bench warm in the meantime. However, simply there will need to be compromise on the price. 

If no one puts money on the table this summer and the window shuts he is no longer an asset therefore stick him in the reserves. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’m pretty sure that long before Alex Scott went to the premier league, it would have been Tommys ambition to play at as high a level as he could.

It amazes me how many people seem to have an insight into the mind and thoughts of Tommy Conway and how he is as a person, without even knowing him 

And he could’ve moved on last summer before Scott did, so I don’t buy that Scott moving played a part in his thinking.

7 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Of course I am not saying that it  suddenly brought the premier league to his mind ! 
What I am pretty sure of is that Scottys move hardened his stance as in that signing a new contract would not be in his interest 

Of course I am not saying that it  suddenly brought the premier league to his mind ! 
What I am pretty sure of is that Scottys move hardened his stance as in that signing a new contract would not be in his interest 

Which he is well within his rights to do, just in the same way that if the club didn’t want him anymore then a contract wouldn’t be offered.

its a two way street and a lot of people seem to forget that with some of the unpleasant comments being made on here about Conway.

Not saying you have said anything unpleasant by the way Cov 77.

But some of the comments on this thread have seemed rather unnecessary 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Which he is well within his rights to do, just in the same way that if the club didn’t want him anymore then a contract wouldn’t be offered.

its a two way street and a lot of people seem to forget that with some of the unpleasant comments being made on here about Conway.

Not saying you have said anything unpleasant by the way Cov 77.

But some of the comments on this thread have seemed rather unnecessary 

Agreed the ‘unpleasant’ comments are way out of order , agree again that it is his prerogative to do as he wants, not saying I know his mind just making the point that Tommy has made it clear where he stands and that works both ways 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Yeah, for the amount of extra earnings he's already missed out here, he now needs a good move to claw that loss back.

In another 12 months he'll need a £1m sign on fee to get all that back (OK, maybe not that much).

I would Say that financially unless we are getting over 1.5 million then it’s not worth selling. He has cost us nothing other than a percentage of the cost of the academy but has given us two seasons where we have had the benefit of his goals. If we sold him now and wanted another striker to replace his goals what would that cost us in transfer fees for  three year deal. Tommy doesn’t strike me as a player who will down tools so we may as well stand firm and just take the compensation at the end. In theory  if we sold him for a million that equates to 700k benefit over running down the last twelve months.

I get he isn't the same type as Scott or explosive like Semenyo but seeing that vid we would be losing a fine player.

Only just turning 22. Don't really want us to feel ripped off, otoh a prime years striker age say 24-28 if it was him plus Fally could consolidate and maybe accelerate our development- Fally will take a bit of time to acclimatise just because of age, different League, style etc.

39 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Yeah, for the amount of extra earnings he's already missed out here, he now needs a good move to claw that loss back.

In another 12 months he'll need a £1m sign on fee to get all that back (OK, maybe not that much).

So, maybe he isn’t as money driven as made out by others on here! 😉

2 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Max Bird , Adam Murphy , Josh Stokes , Fally Mayulu , Yu Hirakawa .  Five 5️⃣ in so far to replace two 36 year olds and a loanee who never played a game ! How exactly are we weaker . 

One bloke with champ experience out of that lot blimey  don't be sucked in with cheap untried players. We are being took for a ride ,tinnions  following order & getting well paid to.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

I think I’d just take a low offer at this point. I like Tommy a lot but not sure I trust ‘value on the pitch’. I think players who know they’re going play like they’re going, for the most part. 

If this drags on and he leaves late in the window, we’ll be really scrambling. We can’t end up with striker options of Wells, who is naturally starting to slow down, and Mayulu, who is brand new to the country and league, and still pretty young.

Take the money, capture the replacement. 

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So, maybe he isn’t as money driven as made out by others on here! 😉

You can always sign a new deal & then play up to engineer a move anyway if you were so inclined.

I think we had a player like that. I'm not sure what his name was now, but I understand a few Gregg's franchises went bust when we finally moved him on ...

• Like 2

So spitting in the wind a bit, but surely a possible solution would be some sort of a swap of Conway for Twine. Burnley are always short of goals and with a new manager weighing up his options they could be open to a young and proven Championship striker and willing to consider this, 
on the other hand we don’t have an unlimited budget and with a striker keen to progress up the League it could seem to be a win-win for both clubs and similarly for both players. Just a suggestion….. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm conflicted.

Part of me with want away players wants to have them sit in the stand, have them compete for a place in the U21s etc.

Otoh we have a potential asset on our hands but £2m, or £1.7m or whatever well it is better than nothing but definitely a bargain for whoever gets him.

I think we will do very well to get £2 million for Conway. Last season was not that good for him and any club knows we have to sell him this season or get nothing. 

Posted (edited)

Just thinking of a possible replacement or possible list of replacements.

Call me out of touch with our new budgetary planning but how much would someone like Riis Jakobsen be?

Final year of the contract.

1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

I think we will do very well to get £2 million for Conway. Last season was not that good for him and any club knows we have to sell him this season or get nothing. 

I'm looking at other value and clubs and it just doesn't seem very different to Delap say. His record I mean.

Lots of subjective views on TC and his abilities, but @Davefevs have you done a graph or one of your tables for Tommy to see how his performances look against some objective metrics? 

Maybe this will explain why he isn't being courted by other clubs and why the bid from Rangers is at the level it is.

I'm also interested to see how he measures up to our thoughts on his abilities, and also how he compares in these metrics to some of the other names mentioned in this thread e.g. Delap. 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just thinking of a possible replacement or possible list of replacements.

Call me out of touch with our new budgetary planning but how much would someone like Riis Jakobsen be?

Final year of the contract.

I'm looking at other value and clubs and it just doesn't seem very different to Delap say.

Has he gone anywhere yet? Had an injury I think towards the end of last season but Hull fans were raving about him. Seem to finally settle. Go somewhere with more potential than us I’d imagine. 

2 minutes ago, Jose said:

Has he gone anywhere yet? Had an injury I think towards the end of last season but Hull fans were raving about him. Seem to finally settle. Go somewhere with more potential than us I’d imagine. 

Yep, off to Ipswich for £15m Delap! Rising to £20m if targets etc hit.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yep, off to Ipswich for £15m Delap! Rising to £20m if targets etc hit.

Say what you want about Ashton but what that club has achieved since he went in there has been remarkable. 

If they come straight back down they will be pushing to go straight back up. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Lots of subjective views on TC and his abilities, but @Davefevs have you done a graph or one of your tables for Tommy to see how his performances look against some objective metrics? 

Maybe this will explain why he isn't being courted by other clubs and why the bid from Rangers is at the level it is.

I'm also interested to see how he measures up to our thoughts on his abilities, and also how he compares in these metrics to some of the other names mentioned in this thread e.g. Delap. 

Here’s 4 other youngish Champ strikers compared to TC.

If you look across each category, especially the goals category (red), and the ithers, there are a lot of good reasons why many clubs are interested.  Don’t take lack of bids as as indicator that he’s worse than he thinks he is.

Its quite possible City have priced him out of the market for the time being, but things change.

image.thumb.png.fb9408792b6e725d1ee13964bd7718f5.png

Edited by Davefevs
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, KegCity said:

Spend several million on Mayulu, don't recall Pearson spending that on one player. 

Whether the signings turn out to be any good, or if it's fair to not backed Pearson, are separate conversations, but the club are definitely backing Manning more than they did Pearson.

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Atkinson wasn’t far behind, TGH was circa £2m, Knight too.

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

McCrorie...

8 hours ago, KegCity said:

So Pearson was backed then?

Reminds me of....

image.png.c1615d93f4a05e7d9493f2c61fca601c.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Jose said:

Say what you want about Ashton but what that club has achieved since he went in there has been remarkable. 

If they come straight back down they will be pushing to go straight back up. 

I hope he spends them into trouble. :)

That is a bit churlish of me but he is spending with gusto as expected, yes they have had a meteoric rise, element of positive timing- post Covid market vs League One rules, and they are signing dome very good Championship with potential to step up but lots of room for growth.

Interesting if expensive recruitment so far.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s 4 other youngish Champ strikers compared to TC.

image.thumb.png.fb9408792b6e725d1ee13964bd7718f5.png

Thanks. I can't say I understand them though!! 😂

Do the numbers stack up?  Are we right expect a big fee, or is he more at Rangers end of a valuation?