IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

Just now, bristol red said:

Tommy wants the Burnley move. Twine wants the City move. They are negotiating so see this happening soon now.. 

is this live updates coming through here 😂

• Like 1

Just now, Selred said:

And we aren’t talking about City’s decisions here.
We are talking about reality, and reality is Conway + £1m is a bad deal for Twine. 

No it has devalued him.

It would be a bad deal without a doubt but we have brought this on ourselves somewhat. It isn't a deal I'd endorse btw.

• Hmmm 1

10 minutes ago, bristol red said:

Boro have offered better offer but Conway wants to go to Burnley so… interesting times await

⬇️⬇️⬇️

8 minutes ago, bristol red said:

Wolves and Leicester are also interested but no offers made yet…

No reason to doubt you, and not having a go at you at all, just using your post to make a point…but it’s amazing how there’s “no interest” if you set a stupid fee, but suddenly there is interest now Boro’s low bid has gone public!  Maybe there is a player in there after all??? 😉

6 minutes ago, Selred said:

Thats an awful deal. Conway has more potential than Twine. Conways proved it in the Championship for one. 

I agree, but…⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

One's featuring in every pre-season friendly and one has been binned to training with the 21's and kicked out the first team changing room

City have made their bed, now they gotta lie in it!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I expect they will be looking to lowball as late as possible into the window as far as possible.

In particular Wolves given the Scott stuff last year but that is pure speculation on my part.

Wolves didn't have much of a transfer budget last season.

I thought they'd be on their way down, but Gary O'Neil did an amazing job. Should have been PL coach of the season.

Tommy would do amazing to get a move there.

Edited by Sleepy1968
did -> didn't
  • Like 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

No it has devalued him.

It would be a bad deal without a doubt but we have brought this on ourselves somewhat. It isn't a deal I'd endorse btw.

Yes Conway is devalued. I still think he’s worth £3m.
Twine? £2-2.5m. 

Hence my comment, but not sure why people are disagreeing with it. 

4 minutes ago, marmite said:

As I said straight swop. It was meant to be. Even the threads here have become one. Twine wants to be here and Tommy wants to go to Burnley.  Let's just get it done.

Would love to be a fly on the wall when the Board go to SL to sanction this value of deal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Selred said:

Twine? £2-2.5m. 

Splitting hairs over 500k. Wild.

Twine? £2-2.5m. 

I think Burnley will be asking for £3.5-4m for Twine personally. Just a feeling.

I don't disagree on Conway but they are somewhat Parachute bolstered, Parker may or may not rate him and 2 years left vs 1.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Would love to be a fly on the wall when the Board go to SL to sanction this value of deal.

Was tongue in cheek Dave. I'm just fed up with this saga now.

• Haha 1

Twine? £2-2.5m. 

I still agree with you Sel…but we’ve backed ourselves into a corner.  It’s what I’ve been saying all along.  I will give credit to our hierarchy if they negotiate a good outcome from this.  Albeit it will be refelective of a stupid strategy this summer (and January to some extent).

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

If you remember, Massengo said his goodbyes to the crowd on the final day of the season, before he left. Massengo then messed the club around all summer and didn't get his transfer. Instead of banishing him to the U21's, NP integrated him in to the first team squad during pre season. From day one of the season and after deadline day Massengo was very much a part of the first team until his atrocious display A to Birmingham in November after which, Pearson's patience with him was exhausted and he was dropped. He then went on loan to Auxerre in January until his contract expired.

How can you possibly compare that to the Conway situation.

As per my reply to Mr Pop, I accepted that I was mistaken and also set out why the action with TC appears to be correct 

If those offers from Burnley are genuine. We should just move on. They want too much and are trying to take advantage of the Conway situation. Surely Conway would prefer Boro instead of our under 21s all season. We've already set that stall out. 

The problem is we've clearly got no plan B for Twine. Even though Tins said we did. 

2 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

If those offers from Burnley are genuine. We should just move on. They want too much and are trying to take advantage of the Conway situation. Surely Conway would prefer Boro instead of our under 21s all season. We've already set that stall out. 

The problem is we've clearly got no plan B for Twine. Even though Tins said we did. 

Not another move on .

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

59 minutes ago, mozo said:

Surely there are more teams besides Burnley and Boro willing to take a punt on Conway?!!

26 minutes ago, bristol red said:

Wolves and Leicester are also interested but no offers made yet…

👍

24 minutes ago, Selred said:

Thats an awful deal. Conway has more potential than Twine. Conways proved it in the Championship for one. 

Contract situations are very different though.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

No reason to doubt you, and not having a go at you at all, just using your post to make a point…but it’s amazing how there’s “no interest” if you set a stupid fee, but suddenly there is interest now Boro’s low bid has gone public!  Maybe there is a player in there after all??? 😉

I agree, but…⬇️⬇️⬇️

City have made their bed, now they gotta lie in it!

Well if Conway is at a cut price as you say, then these clubs should be like seagulls round chips atm. In which case, we may have opened the door for a lowball offer, but we have also driven up interest. Or am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

It’s possible that (if true) any add-ons (and sell-ons) might be more likely to be achieved with a club like Burnley than Boro.  Just another angle to this beside “transfer fee”.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

👍

Contract situations are very different though.

Well if Conway is at a cut price as you say, then these clubs should be like seagulls round chips atm. In which case, we may have opened the door for a lowball offer, but we have also driven up interest. Or am I missing something?

Multiple clubs showing interest does not guarantee an auction.  If for example Tommy only wants to go to club x,  it becomes very difficult for City if they aren’t the one offering the biggest “deal” and City want to get shot.

Imho I’d have kept him onside this summer.  But maybe even then it might not have helped.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Multiple clubs showing interest does not guarantee an auction.  If for example Tommy only wants to go to club x,  it becomes very difficult for City if they aren’t the one offering the biggest “deal” and City want to get shot.

Imho I’d have kept him onside this summer.  But maybe even then it might not have helped.

Good point 👍 

I'll be shocked if a more illustrious club doesn't jump in at the last minute. 

Looks my loan prediction is totes unlikely!

Edited by mozo

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I think the under 21 thing has been nonsense unless the club felt it was only way to get bids in to show he really is up for transfer. 

Surely this would be (has been) a ridiculous way to approach it if the club want to sell him.

It would be like trying to sell a car by smashing the windscreen to prove you want to get rid of it.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

54 minutes ago, bristol red said:

Twine defo wants move and is pushing for it so will happen at some point whatever so prob reason why we haven’t moved on. It will happen.

Whilst we’ve got you, do you happen to know the other player we may be afters position? Another striker? 

25 minutes ago, mozo said:

Good point 👍 

I'll be shocked if a more illustrious club doesn't jump in at the last minute. 

Looks my loan prediction is totes unlikely!

It was a good option for a while.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

You would think burnley would be a preferred option for conway, but really, he will to rovers for an extra few quid in his pocket

Incredible. I see words on a page but somehow, I see no coherent sentence.

• Haha 2

I think the straight comparison of the value of the two players is a bit too simplistic. The value of each player to the clubs interested is far more important, we need a "10" and one that can hit the ground running, the teams looking at Tommy presumably are looking for a "striker project", but whether they are desperate enough to put in a good bid seems to be the sticking point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedEyez said:

Splitting hairs over 500k. Wild.

I’m guessing numbers aren’t your strong point. 

Conway (worth £3m) plus £1m on top = £4m. 

Twine is worth £2-2.5m.

So if we pay £4m (Conway plus £1mil) it’s £1.5-2m more than Twines worth. 

Not so wild now hey…

• Facepalm 1

A 7, a 9 and a 10.

Clearly that was with Conway plan, we are awaiting the 10 but we have a 7 albeit maybe injured, a 9 and another striker given the Conway saga.

Where does the right sided player or indeed the extra player come in. By all means, if a good player within the right financial parameters arises absolutely do try but can someone explain the strategy here.

Yu, Sykes and even Cornick in extremis can play on the right.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A 7, a 9 and a 10.

Clearly that was with Conway plan, we are awaiting the 10 but we have a 7 albeit maybe injured, a 9 and another striker given the Conway saga.

Where does the right sided player or indeed the extra player come in. By all means, if a good player within the right financial parameters arises absolutely do try but can someone explain the strategy here.

Where has it been said that the other player we may be after is a right sided player?

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A 7, a 9 and a 10.

Yep, baffles me as well. We have four out and out wingers in Sykes, Bell, Hirakawa and Mehmeti. 5 with Cornick and apparently Armstrong can play out wide. So 4 natural and 2 versatility options. 

Added to the fact we have some very decent youth prospect who play on the wings this seems slightly overkill, unless one leaves (potentially cornick? but he’s had a very good pre-season so i doubt it.) 

Thought it was going to be another more defensively minded midfield option personally. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George Rs said:

Yep, baffles me as well. We have four out and out wingers in Sykes, Bell, Hirakawa and Mehmeti. 5 with Cornick and apparently Armstrong can play out wide. So 4 natural and 2 versatility options. 

Added to the fact we have some very decent youth prospect who play on the wings this seems slightly overkill, unless one leaves (potentially cornick? but he’s had a very good pre-season so i doubt it.) 

Thought it was going to be another more defensively minded midfield option personally. 

Can Benarous even play wideish albeit he is depth and 2 years injured or is he predominantly central only.

I still have hopes of a primeish years marquee or at least expressly here and now striker but I can dream. ;)

• Like 1

Or is Yu going left eventually to compete with Anis & Bell but Nelson has played great too. Not sure if this should be another thread but as we don’t know who it is, prob best to see what random name pops up soon 

1 minute ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Think Manning might want a left footer for the right side as an option, he likes the cutting in wingers, so wouldn't surprise me.

Which could mean Sykes on the left, which perhaps reduces our effectiveness that bit further.

I'm a little more orthodox in some ways, not sure whether our squad is altogether suited to invertered wingers!

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Which could mean Sykes on the left, which perhaps reduces our effectiveness that bit further.

I'm a little more orthodox in some ways, not sure whether our squad is altogether suited to invertered wingers!

Get the feeling he doesn't like Sykes too much for what he wants in a wide player but he's one of our more consistent attackers so sticks with him even if it is out of position on the left or LWB.

I'd play Sykes on the right and Bell on the left if it was me.

Just think he will want that left footed option on the right side, there was no reason for him to play Mehmeti on the right and Sykes on the left in previous games (when the reverse is more comfortable for both players) APART from Mehmeti being more likely to cut inside when he is on the right hand side as he's not an out and out winger like Sykes is. 

Mehmeti wouldn't get to the byline much on the right as he would drop into pockets of space and let McCrorie overlap, that's why I think if he does go for another wide player it will be a natural left footer who will cut in.

Wouldn't be surprised if LM moved any of Cornick, Sykes or Bell on next summer and got his own type of wide forwards in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Get the feeling he doesn't like Sykes too much for what he wants in a wide player but he's one of our more consistent attackers so sticks with him even if it is out of position on the left or LWB.

Just think he will want that left footed option on the right side, there was no reason for him to play Mehmeti on the right and Sykes on the left in previous games (when the reverse is more comfortable for both players) APART from Mehmeti being more likely to cut inside when he is on the right hand side as he's not an out and out winger like Sykes is. 

Mehmeti wouldn't get to the byline much on the right as he would drop into pockets of space and let McCrorie overlap, that's why I think if he does go for another wide player it will be a natural left footer who will cut in.

Wouldn't be surprised if LM moved any of Cornick, Sykes or Bell on next summer and got his own type of wide forwards in.

What’s the likelihood of LM being here next summer ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Unless we are top by Xmas and some Prem team comes calling, or we're 10 points adrift at the bottom by Xmas - his job is pretty secure.

I don’t think we’d need to be 10 points adrift.

If the football turns out to be dull again with poor results and any risk of relegation then I don’t think he’ll be spared.

They couldn’t pull the trigger on him when things weren’t looking good last season because of how it would of reflected on them and his appointment.

But I’d say they’d look less incompetent if he went this season as they’ll be able to say he had a preseason and they brought in players that he wanted.

That way they can shift the blame onto him and divert it from themselves.

Edited by Back of the Dolman
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

28 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Think Manning might want a left footer for the right side as an option, he likes the cutting in wingers, so wouldn't surprise me.

I've been wanting a left footed winger at the club for a while. It gives us an option we don't have and potentially a nice bit of balance.

Pretty sure all of our senior wingers are right footed? Sykes, Yu, Mehmeti, Cornick, Bell (+ Armstrong if we're considering him an option out wide in a front 3)

3 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

If the football turns out to be dull again with poor results and any risk of relegation then I don’t think he’ll be spared.

They couldn’t pull the trigger on him when things weren’t looking good last season because of how it would of reflected on them and his appointment.

But I’d say they’d look less incompetent if he went this season as they’ll be able to say he had a preseason and they brought on players that he wanted.

They are backing this horse now. They got their man and i think they'll stick with him through it all now.

I don't think it was because they couldn't pull the trigger, but I think it is because they wouldn't. 

I'm probably (definitely) fickle but I think if we beat one or two of Leeds, Burnley, Sheff U etc at home and finished 15th-18th, I still think they would stick with him.

1 minute ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

They are backing this horse now. They got their man and i think they'll stick with him through it all now.

I don't think it was because they couldn't pull the trigger, but I think it is because they wouldn't. 

I'm probably (definitely) fickle but I think if we beat one or two of Leeds, Burnley, Sheff U etc at home and finished 15th-18th, I still think they would stick with him.

To finish 15th - 18th certainly wouldn’t tie in with their ambitions and the reason for appointing LM in the first place though, would it ?

I’m not trying to start a NP - LM debate by the way but the vast majority of football owners don’t have great deal of loyalty for managers when things aren’t going well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

But I’d say they’d look less incompetent if he went this season as they’ll be able to say he had a preseason and they brought in players that he wanted.

Agreed.

Yeah. I know the Conway situation but unlike NP he has so far while not spending loads, spent some.

NP and his team had to cost cut for 2 years, give or take and some more into this year.

I think even pre-dating Scott he had a negative net spend and that is before we even look at Wages and or Amortisation. Or maybe he was a little ahead in terms of Net Spend Idk.

Bird, if there was any loan fee for Twine, loan fee Mbeude, 2 strikers this year, okay Bird maybe tracked before...Yu? FFP was fixed by Summer 2023.

NP and his team plus Gould and Alexander improved the on pitch offering while cutting the cost base. Sterling work all round.

Manning has had a solid base and an even keel. 15th to 18th would represent a significant regression.

(That isn't to say I'm fully happy with the Recruitment, ie a Prime age striker would be welcome- for either).

Not my intention either to go NP v LM more that he has had a lot more room for manoeuvre to date and big praise for NP, Gould etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Just now, Back of the Dolman said:

To finish 15th - 18th certainly wouldn’t tie in with their ambitions and the reason for appointing LM in the first place though, would it ?

I’m not trying to start a NP - LM debate by the way but the vast majority of football owners don’t have great deal of loyalty for managers when things aren’t going well.

Yes of course, it's been done to death and its very easy for conversations to stray offtopic and I agree but you know what this club is like, they'll back who they like.

Back on to half-topic, I don't think it has to be an out and out winger for the right side, but someone like Mehmeti (I don't consider him a winger - he isn't an old school run and gun byline type) with a left foot on that right side would be what Manning wants is my guess.

And on to full topic, I hope Conway gets the move he wants and I'm sure he will do well elsewhere, just think it's quite funny how we now seem to be playing with two forwards and think he would play really well with Armstrong up front, it's a shame it all fell apart as it did. Let's hope Manning and the staff find the right formula and have some good back-up plans when we get found out.

• Robin 2

59 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

I have a feeling Sykes won't be here going into next season or if he is he will have learned and improve his play as an 'inverted winger' on the left.

I think he's got all the capabilities to play that role he's already a dangerous finisher imagine if he gets the "cut-in curler into the top-right" type shot in his arsenal.

54 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Yes of course, it's been done to death and its very easy for conversations to stray offtopic and I agree but you know what this club is like, they'll back who they like.

Back on to half-topic, I don't think it has to be an out and out winger for the right side, but someone like Mehmeti (I don't consider him a winger - he isn't an old school run and gun byline type) with a left foot on that right side would be what Manning wants is my guess.

And on to full topic, I hope Conway gets the move he wants and I'm sure he will do well elsewhere, just think it's quite funny how we now seem to be playing with two forwards and think he would play really well with Armstrong up front, it's a shame it all fell apart as it did. Let's hope Manning and the staff find the right formula and have some good back-up plans when we get found out.

If we're going 2 up top then the best formula you could get IMHO would strangely be Conway & Wells, ridiculous!!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Eliasson is champion with AEK Athen. How LJ almost never played him will never understand.

I am far from  johnson fan so not just defending him here but I completely get it. Eliasson was great at crossing and shooting but when the ball was not at his feet it was like we were playing with 10 men and we were not a good enough team to be carrying a player.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Selred said:

I’m guessing numbers aren’t your strong point. 

Conway (worth £3m) plus £1m on top = £4m. 

Twine is worth £2-2.5m.

So if we pay £4m (Conway plus £1mil) it’s £1.5-2m more than Twines worth. 

Not so wild now hey…

Wasn’t it reported that Twine was for sale at 3.5m - 4m not too long ago?

You’re literally basing your argument on figures you’ve made up in your own head. You’re really just saying whatever suits your narrative at this point. So yeah, pretty wild that you present the above figures as a fact when really, you don’t have a clue.

Contract lengths play a part . Twine has 2 years left, Conway 1.

We’ll agree to disagree without getting personal about it though. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

What’s the likelihood of LM being here next summer ?

Likely. We're incredibly patient with managers and I can't see us being in a relegation fight this season.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If we drop back to 17th, 18th or even bottom 6 or 8 in October/November I think there will be disquiet.

Disquiet??? Manning was brought in because we were told we had a top six squad and we were underachieving under Pearson. Anything less than a promotion push next season will demonstrate that the board was wrong, although of course they will never admit it.

• Like 7