IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@NcnsBcfc someone told you on a podcast last week he wasn’t a target…so we should instantly rule him out, shouldn’t we?

I see 5 Champ clubs are in for Dembele at Birmingham for £1.5M. I do wonder if Liam wants an upgrade on Sykes, does Sykes have that pace, power and consistency to get teams on the back feet? I wouldn’t be surprised if he or Cornick are moved on for our last addition if indeed it’s another attacking signing. 

3 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

I am far from  johnson fan so not just defending him here but I completely get it. Eliasson was great at crossing and shooting but when the ball was not at his feet it was like we were playing with 10 men and we were not a good enough team to be carrying a player.

I agree LS.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

So, Tommy Conway, anyone?

No wonder this thread has hit 95 pages, at least half of it is not related to the subject at all.

You've just added to it, but added nothing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@NcnsBcfc someone told you on a podcast last week he wasn’t a target…so we should instantly rule him out, shouldn’t we?

Currently lying on a beach in Kefalonia regaining my mental strength for the season ahead 😂.

Yes, once again, Bristol Live, numerous French press outlets (including I'euipe), James Piercey and everybody else who has either reported or spoken to me about the 4 bids we made for him are completely wrong and he is right.

No explanation why, just that he is right.

Well that was good enough for me. Hail messiah.... 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I see 5 Champ clubs are in for Dembele at Birmingham for £1.5M. I do wonder if Liam wants an upgrade on Sykes, does Sykes have that pace, power and consistency to get teams on the back feet? I wouldn’t be surprised if he or Cornick are moved on for our last addition if indeed it’s another attacking signing. 

1 hour ago, JAWS said:

Sykes undervalued & not utilised to full effect IMO. Clever player who makes things happen

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree LS.

I like Sykes but maybe Manning has a subconscious dislike of him.  He joined Oxford not long 12 months or so after we nicked Sykes on a free, quite a toxic exit.  IIRC he said something to the effect that he was better than Oxford and wanted to play at a higher level.

3 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Currently lying on a beach in Kefalonia regaining my mental strength for the season ahead 😂.

Yes, once again, Bristol Live, numerous French press outlets (including I'euipe), James Piercey and everybody else who has either reported or spoken to me about the 4 bids we made for him are completely wrong and he is right.

No explanation why, just that he is right.

Well that was good enough for me. Hail messiah.... 

I love Kefalonia 

4 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

I am far from  johnson fan so not just defending him here but I completely get it. Eliasson was great at crossing and shooting but when the ball was not at his feet it was like we were playing with 10 men and we were not a good enough team to be carrying a player.

I kinda agree but high on the left in a front 3 may have suited all parties better? We had a few different shapes none of them optimal (IMO).

True central 3 behind may have masked his weakness a bit.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I like Sykes but maybe Manning has a subconscious dislike of him.  He joined Oxford not long 12 months or so after we nicked Sykes on a free, quite a toxic exit.  IIRC he said something to the effect that he was better than Oxford and wanted to play at a higher level.

Dislike?? Sounds like they have a lot in common..

2 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I like Sykes too.  Would Manning put something that happened before he arrived at Oxford against Sykes?

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Didn't work, see above post.

Anyway, back to Twine, sorry Conway!

Think this could drag on.  Boro interested, but bid not accepted which is heavily weighted to add-ons.  Burnley tentative bid, Wolves and Leicester “interested”.  Those are the stories.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Redland said:

Disquiet??? Manning was brought in because we were told we had a top six squad and we were underachieving under Pearson. Anything less than a promotion push next season will demonstrate that the board was wrong, although of course they will never admit it.

Define Promotion push.

Parachute clubs are well ahead financially, if you mean Top 6..well yes the claims were made and any kind of regression or notable signs of it will be jumped on.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Define Promotion push.

Parachute clubs are well ahead financially, if you mean Top 6..well yes the claims were made and any kind of regression or notable signs of it will be jumped on.

We all know what this league is like though, we could be in 15th place and be able to put forward a good argument that we are both under threat from relegation and on the verge of the playoffs. There is rarely more than 10 points between the two.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Sykes joined us in May ‘22, Manning joined Oxford nearly 12 months later.

He may or may not rate Sykes, but the stuff you mentioned is completely irrelevant.

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

We all know what this league is like though, we could be in 15th place and be able to put forward a good argument that we are both under threat from relegation and on the verge of the playoffs. There is rarely more than 10 points between the two.

Yeah that would be in and around midtable to lower midtable or thereabouts, but fans possibly will be expecting us to be closer to the top 6 than that. Especially with an (on paper) okay start.

10-12, maybe 15 Games a decent benchmark.

7 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

If we're there Manning will be out in the international break..

Yes, precedent set?

Was a decent start to last season too, notably before the injuries but when appointed 21 Pts 15 Games and 11th place.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Cornick definitely needs to be moved on, 

sykes is player with quality and composure wouldn’t want to see him go

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

If we're there Manning will be out in the international break..

Sykes is a decent player who has pace and works well with Tanner. But he has to be on the right side to be at his best. Him on the right with Bell on the left and we have two genuine quick players to get beyond defences and provide chances for Armstrong and/or Mayulu. Lets see what happens on Saturday against Willem 11.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BCFCJK93 said:

McNally & Twine in exchange for Conway would be fantastic and that would explain why Manning said he wanted 2 more transfers… this might’ve been in progress for a few days now. 

Agreed. Given the position the club finds itself in such a deal would be at least maxing out on what we can get for Conway.

Well hang on, why McNally.

Fine player yes but were we looking for another CB?

If we continue to play a back 3 need another right sided option most likely and/or it’s proactive as Naismith probably isn’t being renewed at the end of this season. 

• Like 3

Wouldnt be a stupid move.

Good experienced championship CB. 

Roberts used as the back up LB, leaving Vyner, Big Rob 1, Big Rob 2, Mcnally, Naismith as the CB’s (given we play 3).

Naismith and Big Rob 2 still injury prone and Naismith’s OOC in summer.

Smart move imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's a cut throat business. If he improves the squad then someone like Naismith might be moved on late in the window................if he's a good player that can improve our squad it doesn't matter whether we "need" him imo.......if it's also squeezing every last pip out of the Conway saga then that will do for me. Have an inquest later!!

• Like 4

Just now, George Rs said:

If we continue to play a back 3 need another right sided option most likely and/or it’s proactive as Naismith probably isn’t being renewed at the end of this season. 

We played a back 4 in pre-season, why would we suddenly go to a back 3 again.

Proactive I can get behind yes..

It's an intriguing proposal anyway.

1 minute ago, cheddarwedlocker said:

Wouldnt be a stupid move.

Good experienced championship CB. 

Roberts used as the back up LB, leaving Vyner, Big Rob 1, Big Rob 2, Mcnally, Naismith as the CB’s (given we play 3).

Naismith and Big Rob 2 still injury prone and Naismith’s OOC in summer.

Smart move imo.

I never said it would be stupid, it is an interesting plot twist.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We played a back 4 in pre-season, why would we suddenly go to a back 3 again.

Proactive I can get behind yes..

It's an intriguing proposal anyway.

Why would we only build a squad to play a singular formation/ set up? 

Think LM is very clear in wanting two natural players per position so it makes sense to me, Vyner and Tanner are our only right sided CBs and tanner is more of a RB. 

And as a 4-3-3 and a 3-4-2-1 are very easy to shift between it does make sense to recruit to allow us to maximise both options, if it is a viable option both squad size wise and financially. 

Edited by George Rs

Why would we only build a squad to play a singular formation/ set up? 

Think LM is very clear in wanting to natural players per position so it makes sense to me, Vyner and Tanner are our only right sided CBs and tanner is more of a RB. 

And as a 4-3-3 and a 3-4-2-1 are very easy to shift between it does make sense to recruit to allow us to maximise both options, if it is a viable option both squad size wise and financially. 

Is McNally a profile of player who can enable us to do this more readily. I still see gaps fwiw but I'm warming to it more if he is.

I see Naismith as someone who can perform the dual role as in a back 3 or part of a CM 3/deepest of a CM 3.

McCrorie can also play wingback and full back, see also Pring.

Tanner and Roberts at wingback? Not for me. Yet.

Any other CBs or CMs able to fulfil that dual role of Naismith? Unsure.

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Do we really need another CB??

What we need is better players who have more ability and/or potential than what we've got. If McNally is that then I would be happy for him to come. If he isn't then, of course, question it. There might be one or two going the other way.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

Is McNally a profile of player who can enable us to do this more readily. I still see gaps fwiw but I'm warming to it more if he is.

I see Naismith as someone who can perform the dual role as in a back 3 or part of a CM 3/deepest of a CM 3.

I don’t know a huge amount about McNally to be fair but it fills a potential gap not a current one if that makes sense imo. 

Whether we play a back 3/4 we current have 4 players who’s natural position is centre back, 5 if you include Tanner who tbf has looked much better in that rcb role. 

Rob Dickie, Zak Vyner, Kal Naismith, Rob Atkinson and George Tanner. 

Kal Naismith as we’ve seen can be susceptible to injuries, is entering his last year of contract and Manning might prefer him at the base of midfield. 

Rob Atkinson has just come back from a 14 month long injury so there could be potential concerns there. 

It gives us 6 Players who can players who can play CB in various ways, overkill in a 4 atb? Maybe. 2 per position in a 3 atb. 

But see last year, LM and probably everyone won’t want a repeat in having to play Vyner and Dickie for what 20+ consecutive 90mins, no matter how well they coped with the task. Get a couple injuries and once again 5 CBs goes down to 3 and we look short stocked. 

I don’t know a huge amount about McNally to be fair but it fills a potential gap not a current one if that makes sense imo. 

Whether we play a back 3/4 we current have 4 players who’s natural position is centre back, 5 if you include Tanner who tbf has looked much better in that rcb role. 

Rob Dickie, Zak Vyner, Kal Naismith, Rob Atkinson and George Tanner. 

Kal Naismith as we’ve seen can be susceptible to injuries, is entering his last year of contract and Manning might prefer him at the base of midfield. 

Rob Atkinson has just come back from a 14 month long injury so there could be potential concerns there. 

It gives us 6 Players who can players who can play CB in various ways, overkill in a 4 atb? Maybe. 2 per position in a 3 atb. 

But see last year, LM and probably everyone won’t want a repeat in having to play Vyner and Dickie for what 20+ consecutive 90mins, no matter how well they coped with the task. Get a couple injuries and once again 5 CBs goes down to 3 and we look short stocked. 

I take your point, have to plan for injuries on one level..

Roberts can play CB too albeit more in a back 3.

Naismith at the base fully fit could be good. Was not bad albeit before injury when we switched set-up under NP.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

Really want this swap deal to come off but because of how much we want this to happen it probably won’t, it’s very very ambitious 

I thought a straight swap for Twine would've been a stretch, to add a quality CB to the deal is even better.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think players like Naismith are great when you were in Nige's position of needing to be competitive on a very strict budget - lads that can do three or four different jobs to the standard you need at the level. However, if we want to move on a level it still needs to be a flexible squad, I agree, BUT square pegs in square holes and tactical (not as much positional) flexibility. Lads who are quality operators in their positions and can do it in a couple of different systems. There is always room for one utility player in the squad, your get out of jail card, but that's the limit for me!!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bristol red said:

They are trying to do a deal with Burnley hence the delay. Separate deals but still far off valuations for both players but negotiations are ongoing.

Credit where credit is due for this Bristol Red great info!

Just now, BS3rich said:

So potentially 3 new incomings..Twine, McNally & a right sided attacking player from abroad?

Exciting stuff, let’s hope it comes off 🤞

Where have you heard this?

If it is a swap deal.

The article seems to be light on deal..would it be Player 1 + Player 2 for Player 3.

Or would it be 3 separate deals- or 2 minimum.

I'm now wondering if one of the two players will be a loan?

If it is a swap deal.

The article seems to be light on deal..would it be Player 1 + Player 2 for Player 3.

Or would it be 3 separate deals- or 2 minimum.

I've heard Maguire speak about swap deals before and how they are very complicated due to ffp? 

1 minute ago, TammyAB said:

I'm now wondering if one of the two players will be a loan?

Agreed,,, yesterday it was burnley offering 1.5m for conway, with twine and mcnally presumably being valued at around 3.5 each… now we are supposed to be swapping conway for both? Maybe both on loan, but unless we want to give them conway plus 5 million, theres no way a swap for those 2 is likely?!

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've heard Maguire speak about swap deals before and how they are very complicated due to ffp? 

What I'm getting at basically, is would McNally be in lieu of a fee for Conway?

It can be complicated due to Book Value remaining at time of Transaction among other easons yep. IMO. Albeit Conway as an Academy Product Book Value Zero and Burnley can easily absorb moderate Impairments at their end.

What I'm getting at basically, is would McNally be in lieu of a fee for Conway?

It can be complicated due to Book Value remaining at time of Transaction among other easons yep. IMO. Albeit Conway as an Academy Product Book Value Zero and Burnley can easily absorb moderate Impairments at their end.

They will likely do 3 separate transactions but with the finances tallying a swap deal effectively 

1 minute ago, TammyAB said:

Bristol Red the other night on here posted.

+++++

Intrigued by this development.  McNally is the 3rd ex-Oxford CB (Atkinson and Dickie previously) we may end up signing!  What has poor old Elliott Moore done wrong! 🤣

Seriously though, pros and cons to McNally.  Good age 24, Championship experience (50+ games), won’t be in huge wages having signed for Burnley in summer 2022.  One decent half-season loan at Coventry, but last season he was pretty error-strewn when I watched him, although not as bad as Michael Rose, who seems to have dropped off a Cliff!  McNally faults were mainly on the ball, not necessarily defensively.  Coventry set up to play on the counter in 22/23, and alongside McFadzean and Doyle in a three, maybe protected him?

IMG_1216.thumb.jpeg.1b02aa8d8e6a1488a79ef2a008de8fb7.jpeg

This feels like a player Burnley are keen to “move on” (not that kind of move-on), and City are the recipients.

A signing for £1.500m-£2.000m, halfway through a 4 year deal, book value at £0.750-£1.000m, a nice little “shifter” off the books, wages and all (although not huge).

Similar kinda concept with Twine I guess.

+++++

Do we need another CB?  One for LM to answer!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

They aren’t complicated due to FFP.  The only complication is the underlying transfer fee / value placed on each.

15 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Agreed,,, yesterday it was burnley offering 1.5m for conway, with twine and mcnally presumably being valued at around 3.5 each… now we are supposed to be swapping conway for both? Maybe both on loan, but unless we want to give them conway plus 5 million, theres no way a swap for those 2 is likely?!

McNally ain’t valued at £3.5m.  I take that back, actually.  Burnley might value him at that, but they won’t get it.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

+++++

Intrigued by this development.  McNally is the 3rd ex-Oxford CB (Atkinson and Dickie previously) we may end up signing!  What has poor old Elliott Moore done wrong! 🤣

Seriously though, pros and cons to McNally.  Good age 24, Championship experience (50+ games), won’t be in huge wages having signed for Burnley in summer 2022.  One decent half-season loan at Coventry, but last season he was pretty error-strewn when I watched him, although not as bad as Michael Rose, who seems to have dropped off a Cliff!  McNally faults were mainly on the ball, not necessarily defensively.  Coventry set up to play on the counter in 22/23, and alongside McFadzean and Doyle in a three, maybe protected him?

This feels like a player Burnley are keen to “move on” (not that kind of move-on), and City are the recipients.

A signing for £1.500m-£2.000m, halfway through a 4 year deal, book value at £0.750-£1.000m, a nice little “shifter” off the books, wages and all (although not huge).

+++++

I expect Naismith will be moved on if this happens, I also think Cornick will be moved on if the Foreign winger happens

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

+++++

+++++

In a word, no Dave. 

34 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think players like Naismith are great when you were in Nige's position of needing to be competitive on a very strict budget - lads that can do three or four different jobs to the standard you need at the level. However, if we want to move on a level it still needs to be a flexible squad, I agree, BUT square pegs in square holes and tactical (not as much positional) flexibility. Lads who are quality operators in their positions and can do it in a couple of different systems. There is always room for one utility player in the squad, your get out of jail card, but that's the limit for me!!

Naismith was player of the year taking Luton to the play offs. He’s achieved more than most in our dead and is a good player when fit and utilised 

• Like 3

Just now, Shauntaylor85 said:

Naismith was player of the year taking Luton to the play offs. He’s achieved more than most in our dead and is a good player when fit and utilised 

We've utilised him pretty much every time he was available.........availability has now become a huge problem.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

In a word, no Dave. 

I would say wait for ALL OF THE TRANSFER BUSINESS to be completed (in and out), watch the players play a few times and then judge whether or not they are needed or are good/poor additions.

On 28/07/2024 at 16:51, Glen hump said:

Cotterill didn’t get involved in contracts’ the club went back on deals that were already agreed’ it’s not gossip.

Nowhere near true.

There was a good reason the club went back on deal

• Like 1

On 29/07/2024 at 21:19, Bobbie said:

Hopefully this starts a bidding war

He's not good enough (yet) to start a bidding war.

Not surprised that it looks like he'll get a sideways move.