IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

41 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

I expect Naismith will be moved on if this happens, I also think Cornick will be moved on if the Foreign winger happens

Though this might make sense, it's not as simple as us just deciding to move someone on - we'd need interest in the player.

I wonder how many clubs would be willing to offer a fee we're happy with for someone like Cornick.

11 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Nowhere near true.

There was a good reason the club went back on deal

The fee and wages didn't look too bad given what was reported on here, once Amortised in the case of the fee.

I'm still open-minded on it and subject to contractual rises that kick in post Promotion I reckon we had in Summer 2015 £8-9m to improve the squad.. Wages, Amortisation, Loan Fees.

£8-9m to improve it and remain FFP compliant I mean.

Maguire, Kodjia, Gray..whatever was remaining after that.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

The swap deal, having had a little think about it, actually makes sense to me. 

Burnley wanted £4m for Twine. 
City wanted a fair amount more than that for Tommy. 

Both parties weren’t budging. 

Now, Boro have done us a favour and come in at £5m for Tommy. 

This has meant we’ve lowered our acceptable value for him, so Burnley are back and saying :

”Ok, if you want £5m for Tommy we’ll give you a £4m Twine and a £1m McNally”

Everyone is happy. 

If Tinnion can manage to pull that one off then fair play to him. 
(caveat - although I think the situation has fallen into his lap with the Boro valuation which has meant we’ve had to accept lower than we actually wanted). 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The fee and wages didn't look too bad given what was reported on here, once Amortised in the case of the fee.

I'm still open-minded on it and subject to contractual rises that kick in post Promotion I reckon we had in Summer 2015 £8-9m to improve the squad.. Wages, Amortisation, Loan Fees.

£8-9m to improve it and remain FFP compliant I mean.

Maguire, Kodjia, Gray..whatever was remaining after that.

There was another reason.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

The swap deal, having had a little think about it, actually makes sense to me. 

Burnley wanted £4m for Twine. 
City wanted a fair amount more than that for Tommy. 

Both parties weren’t budging. 

Now, Boro have done us a favour and come in at £5m for Tommy. 

This has meant we’ve lowered our acceptable value for him, so Burnley are back and saying :

”Ok, if you want £5m for Tommy we’ll give you a £4m Twine and a £1m McNally”

Everyone is happy. 

If Tinnion can manage to pull that one off then fair play to him. 
(caveat - although I think the situation has fallen into his lap with the Boro valuation which has meant we’ve had to accept lower than we actually wanted). 

Does that then leave us with budget to sign a winger? Eg this right sided player rumoured by a couple. We were going to spend £3M on Twine. Can see Naismith wages be sent off to a Wrexham. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85

14 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Though this might make sense, it's not as simple as us just deciding to move someone on - we'd need interest in the player.

I wonder how many clubs would be willing to offer a fee we're happy with for someone like Cornick.

I think they’ll go on loan if they can’t shift them permanently, there will be suitors for both on loan later in the window

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Can see Naismith wages be sent off to a Wrexham. 

Know he was linked last year, but do they actually need / want him still ?

After all this endless going round in circles debating the Twine and Conway deals it would be ironic if suddenly the club finds a deal that fans can generally get behind (or at least accept) 🤣

Also, if the deal went through we can merge threads into an absolute beast!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

We were interested last year too.

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep.  They just bided their time, waited for another club to low-ball City (in fairness Boro’s is a reasonable current situation valuation) and then used that to their advantage.

Still no idea which club Tommy will go to, but if you were City you’d be trying to steer him to Burnley wouldn’t you?  Shame they treated him with such pettiness!!!

If someone like Southampton now come into the frame (that’s one club I know we’re interested), imagine thinking you can get Tommy for a fraction of what you were quoted a couple of weeks ago.  You’d probably buy Steve Gibson a multi-pack of monster munch as a thanks for showing first.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If someone like Southampton now come into the frame (that’s one club I know we’re interested), imagine thinking you can get Tommy for a fraction of what you were quoted a couple of weeks ago.  You’d probably buy Steve Gibson a multi-pack of monster munch as a thanks for showing first.

If Southampton swooped now, what do they offer to give themselves a comfortable edge?

Edited by mozo

1 minute ago, mozo said:

If Southampton swooped now, what do they offer to give themselves a comfortable edge?

Premier League football!

Just now, Supersonic Robin said:

In moving on Cornick?

No, McNally.

Just now, mozo said:

I mean to City. Great club for Conway for sure!

I know you did.  But I think that if Conway wants to go to them, they hold the aces.  As I’ve said before, To my could veto any deal and we could be “stuck” with him in September.  So City need to actually not be such knobs with him, because he’s key to leaving!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Absolutely, if of course you want to ignore the creation of the circumstances! 🤣🤣🤣

I don't care about the creation. I just want to see a solution.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Absolutely, if of course you want to ignore the creation of the circumstances! 🤣🤣🤣

If Steve sanctioned the circumstances then he has to take it on the chin!! If he said "I'm paying you to make the decisions, on your head be it" that's a different matter!!

• Like 3

Yeah, but we'll have a minimum price floor that we'll dismiss.

ie No Less than.. The demotion to the U21s will undoubtedly have damaged his market value but pretty much irrespective of club there will be a minimum no less than price that we will consider acceptable.

Just had a look on the Burnley forum, good discussion regarding this possible deal. 

Looks like a good deal all round.

Manning gets Twine and a good championship centre back.

Burnley get a new center forward and start to offload players in a inflated squad.

Really hope this could be the end of this unfortunate saga, fingers crossed

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Just had a look on the Burnley forum, good discussion regarding this possible deal. 

Looks like a good deal all round.

Manning gets Twine and a good championship centre back.

Burnley get a new center forward and start to offload players in a inflated squad.

Really hope this could be the end of this unfortunate saga, fingers crossed

Got to make 100 pages yet before any deal is done. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

41 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Does that then leave us with budget to sign a winger? Eg this right sided player rumoured by a couple. We were going to spend £3M on Twine. Can see Naismith wages be sent off to a Wrexham. 

I think, re FFP, it’s a good deal for us. 
Let’s say they value Twine at £3m and McNally at £1m, and we therefore value Tommy at £4m. 
We can put that £4m into this years accounts as profit. 
The £4m outlay on Twine and McNally can then be put through the books over the course of their contract. So let’s say they sign a 4 year deal, we log £1m per year over the next 4 years. 

So in the 24/25 books; we log £4m income and £1m outlay. So it gives us £3m more to play with in this years figures. 

37 minutes ago, City Slicker said:

We can't be giving him any praise now, can we. 🤣

Hi Tim. I did praise him. I said ifhe pulled this deal off then fair play to him. 
But it can also be very true that the deal has landed in his lap due to Boro’s lower valuation (the £5m from Boro is still well below what we were asking from Burnley, so it’s forced us to lower our valuation and renegotiate with Burnley). 
But regardless, if he manages to get this done then it’s a great deal for City and hats off to him. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 5

I'm sure it was probably a mix of the two sides but the impression I got reading the article is that perhaps the proposal came from the Burnley end more than ours?

Consider the wording...

Screenshot_20240801-135025_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f1c7257c6155f41e3f5a744084d7c5e3.jpg

"Entered the race"- sounds like from the Burnley end first.

Screenshot_20240801-135049_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2bc14a5f4f861f0e869251fff2c59237.jpg

Could be either.

Screenshot_20240801-135115_Chrome.thumb.jpg.687f108c7d9b62c0d3befbb5f9d235f5.jpg

"Opportunity has presented itself".

Maybe Tinnion came up with the initiative but the jury is out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

Let’s say they value Twine at £3m and McNally at £1m, and we therefore value Tommy at £4m. 
The £4m outlay on Twine and McNally can then be put through the books over the course of their contract. So let’s say they sign a 4 year deal, we log £1m per year over the next 4 years. 

So in the 24/25 books; we log £4m income and £1m outlay. So it gives us £3m more to play with in this years figures. 

Hi Tim. I did praise him. I said ifhe pulled this deal off then fair play to him. 
But it can also be very true that the deal has landed in his lap due to Boro’s lower valuation (the £5m from Boro is still well below what we were asking from Burnley, so it’s forced us to lower our valuation and renegotiate with Burnley). 
But regardless, if he manages to get this done then it’s a great deal for City and hats off to him. 

So basically we have £3M approx to spend on this apparent overseas right sided player this window

7 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

So basically we have £3M approx to spend on this apparent overseas right sided player this window

I mean we need to factor in too the wages of McNally and Twine vs Conway.

However the way that fees work Conway..£4m sale you could in theory stretch into a lot of fees with Amortisation etc, less Wages and or Agents Fees of course.

6 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Not necessarily. 
It just means we can log £3m more on this deal this season than we would have done. 
But, we were likely planning to log a lot more for Conway (we value him a lot higher initially before coming down to reality). 
The budget needs to be considered over a 3 year period. So we’d have to log £1m per year for Twine & McNally, so depends how much of the £3m they want to bring forward for this years accounts to spend this year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

I am far from  johnson fan so not just defending him here but I completely get it. Eliasson was great at crossing and shooting but when the ball was not at his feet it was like we were playing with 10 men and we were not a good enough team to be carrying a player.

He he, you remember the winger played instead of him, went to Cardiff. Many games for us, not many assists or goal. His defensive were porer than Eliasson, and he made nothin forward. He once scored a wondergoal vs Norwich away, that was it. Niclas played not many games but hi was second best in championship with assists.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Sykes joined us in May ‘22, Manning joined Oxford nearly 12 months later.

He may or may not rate Sykes, but the stuff you mentioned is completely irrelevant.

I did mention that there are 12 months between; it doesn't mean that during his time at Oxford, the management could very well have been saying how unprofessional he was leaving Manning with a pre-disposition towards Sykes. 

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not necessarily. 
It just means we can log £3m more on this deal this season than we would have done. 
But, we were likely planning to log a lot more for Conway (we value him a lot higher initially before coming down to reality). 
The budget needs to be considered over a 3 year period. So we’d have to log £1m per year for Twine & McNally, so depends how much of the £3m they want to bring forward for this years accounts to spend this year. 

Conway's actual value is probably ~£5-8m. However, we've devalued him by putting him in the reserves and wanting to eliminate him. If you tell the world you can live without him, you immediately wipe cash of his value.  He's effectively has a firesale valuation now.

Edited by Lorenzos Only Goal
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

57 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

ie No Less than.. The demotion to the U21s will undoubtedly have damaged his market value but pretty much irrespective of club there will be a minimum no less than price that we will consider acceptable.

Sorry disagree, his agent will make sure any club interested will know talks have finished and will not be signing a new contract, so being sent to U21s makes no difference on this account

Had he played in pre-season and scored a load, then yes value could have increased, equally he could have looked poor or got injured which would be a disaster, no one is buying TC based on pre-season friendly, it will be based on an in depth analysis of all the games he has played

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I know you did.  But I think that if Conway wants to go to them, they hold the aces.  As I’ve said before, To my could veto any deal and we could be “stuck” with him in September.  So City need to actually not be such knobs with him, because he’s key to leaving!

Got you, true that Southampton can swagger in like Captain Flashheart and shout "Woof!", and Tommy will swoon and want nothing else. I'm not sure we'll end up stuck with Tommy though because he won't want to sit and do nothing for a year.

49 minutes ago, City Slicker said:

Tim? That's twice someone has called me this. What's the joke here? Is this an inside joke? 

It really would be a great deal. 

It's not all about you Tim FFS...

18 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Conway's actual value is probably ~£5-8m. However, we've devalued him by putting him in the reserves and wanting to eliminate him. If you tell the world you can live without him, you immediately wipe cash of his value.  He's effectively has a firesale valuation now.

The big caveat, however, is we will never know if any side was willing to pay the £5-8m.

Burnley fans seem quite happy with it. One or two dissenting voices of course, one says they have strikers aplenty and need to be looking to get some out first which is a fair counter.

Thsy have up to 10 listed as one kind of forward or another.

Screenshot_20240801-144111_Chrome.thumb.jpg.242813f9e1c9d327eca3485f44237ce1.jpgScreenshot_20240801-144123_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c5bf2deef6808f168d529c6aa7bd098d.jpgScreenshot_20240801-144209_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ffd8486601785663df9d40261573b1e2.jpgScreenshot_20240801-144222_Chrome.thumb.jpg.df95a0fd6e1473ff196ce0d6ec3701d5.jpg

41 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not necessarily. 

It’s all a lot of nonsense. Scrap FFP and just let clubs spend what they like but a reasonable cap 

Not sure I get the excitement about swapping a player for 2 players another club deem not good enough for getting them promotion out of the Championship or able to play in the Prem. Looks like we are clearing up their shrapnel and failed transfers. Again. Like we did with Wells. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

How did you get to the £5-8m valuation? 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Sorry disagree, his agent will make sure any club interested will know talks have finished and will not be signing a new contract, so being sent to U21s makes no difference on this account

Had he played in pre-season and scored a load, then yes value could have increased, equally he could have looked poor or got injured which would be a disaster, no one is buying TC based on pre-season friendly, it will be based on an in depth analysis of all the games he has played

You assume a different club wouldn't know the ins and out anyway without having to talk to the agent. 

• Flames 1

4 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I like Sykes but maybe Manning has a subconscious dislike of him.  He joined Oxford not long 12 months or so after we nicked Sykes on a free, quite a toxic exit.  IIRC he said something to the effect that he was better than Oxford and wanted to play at a higher level.

I love Kefalonia 

If Manning has a subconscious dislike of Sykes because of the way Sykes left Oxford, even though it was sometime before Manning even arrived at Oxford then I would find that a little hypocritical wouldn’t you ?

Remind me where we acquired Manning from and I can only assume like Sykes he believed that we were a step up 

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

I don't care about the creation. I just want to see a solution.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

If Steve sanctioned the circumstances then he has to take it on the chin!! If he said "I'm paying you to make the decisions, on your head be it" that's a different matter!!

+++++

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Written like an FFP expert! 😉

55 minutes ago, mozo said:

Got you, true that Southampton can swagger in like Captain Flashheart and shout "Woof!", and Tommy will swoon and want nothing else. I'm not sure we'll end up stuck with Tommy though because he won't want to sit and do nothing for a year.

Nehhhhhh, Blackadder

2 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

If Manning has a subconscious dislike of Sykes because of the way Sykes left Oxford, even though it was sometime before Manning even arrived at Oxford then I would find that a little hypocritical wouldn’t you ?

Remind me where we acquired Manning from and I can only assume like Sykes he believed that we were a step up 

I don't think it's that at all.

I just think Sykes isn't the type of winger Manning wants, similar to Cornick and Bell too. Not the type to cut inside and fill midfield areas and play in pockets. 

That's why he played Mehmeti on the right instead of Sykes who plays very consistently well there. 

Mehmeti on the left or right will more than likely cut inside and that lets the fullback overlap. Sykes, Cornick and Bell aren't those type of wide players and I could see them being moved on in the next summer window to find players that suit what Manning wants in those areas. 

Could see Yu coming in and being that player on the left side for sure if he doesn't revert to back 3 with Twine on the left of the front three. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

I don't think it's that at all.

I just think Sykes isn't the type of winger Manning wants, similar to Cornick and Bell too. Not the type to cut inside and fill midfield areas and play in pockets. 

That's why he played Mehmeti on the right instead of Sykes who plays very consistently well there. 

Mehmeti on the left or right will more than likely cut inside and that lets the fullback overlap. Sykes, Cornick and Bell aren't those type of wide players and I could see them being moved on in the next summer window to find players that suit what Manning wants in those areas. 

Could see Yu coming in and being that player on the left side for sure if he doesn't revert to back 3 with Twine on the left of the front three. 

I’d have Sykes in the team all day long over Mehmeti on the right hand side.

For me Sykes is quicker and more direct, he’s scored more goals and I’d imagine probably has more assists although one of our statisticians could probably confirm that.

He has shown that he can come in in his left foot and score but he also has the ability to go down the line and cross.

Mehmeti even when he’s on the left often comes back inside onto his right foot to cross.

plus I think Sykes helps the team more defensively also.

I don’t dislike Mehmeti but I don’t think he gives as much as Sykes

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Back of the Dolman said:

For me Sykes is quicker and more direct, he’s scored more goals and I’d imagine probably has more assists although one of our statisticians could probably confirm that.

He has shown that he can come in in his left foot and score but he also has the ability to go down the line and cross.

Mehmeti even when he’s on the left often comes back inside onto his right foot to cross.

Agreed.

I'm only an Amateur Statistican compared to a few on here ;) but from memory 10 Goals, 2 Assists in 42 League games between January 2023 and December 2023. I'd have to double check and see if I'm entirely accurate but it's a healthy return.

The reason I pick that is because he was wingback for months before...which IMO doesn't suit him and on the left also inhibits.

Just now, Back of the Dolman said:

As would I but that's not what Manning wants.

I've said previously I'd start Sykes on the right and Bell on the left.

Why would he persevere with Mehmeti on the right and Sykes playing at LW or LWB (with much weaker performances) if that's not how he wanted us to play. 

Even when Sykes got gametime on the right hand side off the bench it was usually at RWB and not higher up where he plays consistently better. 

I think Sykes and Bell are our most consistent forward players but you can see by the way we set up and how LM wants to play, that they won't be first choice in the positions they play better in unless they adapt into playing as wide forwards who drop into pockets of space instead of being outlets in wider areas. 

That's why he played Twine on the left of a front three and usually Mehmeti on the right hand side because they drop into midfield more than get to the byline and go beyond the opposition defence.

Fashionable football for you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

As would I but that's not what Manning wants.

I've said previously I'd start Sykes on the right and Bell on the left.

Why would he persevere with Mehmeti on the right and Sykes playing at LW or LWB (with much weaker performances) if that's not how he wanted us to play. 

Even when Sykes got gametime on the right hand side off the bench it was usually at RWB and not higher up where he plays consistently better. 

I think Sykes and Bell are our most consistent forward players but you can see by the way we set up and how LM wants to play, that they won't be first choice in the positions they play better in unless they adapt into playing as wide forwards who drop into pockets of space instead of being outlets in wider areas. 

That's why he played Twine on the left of a front three and usually Mehmeti on the right hand side because they drop into midfield more than get to the byline and go beyond the opposition defence.

Fashionable football for you.

Fashionable and boring for large parts of what we’ve seen so far.

They’ve brought in big unit strikers but then want to play with inverted wingers who’s crosses will not allow the striker to attack the ball in the same way as a conventional wide player would cross it for them.

too much overthinking and trying to be the next tactical genius in modern football for me 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

They’ve brought in big unit strikers but then want to play with inverted wingers who’s crosses will not allow the striker to attack the ball in the same way as a conventional wide player would cross it for them.

too much overthinking and trying to be the next tactical genius in modern football for me 

It's almost as if we are in danger of getting into a muddle.

I'm sure LM has more clarity and nous than the last manager who had a lot of options here but...we shall see.

7 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

That's for the fullbacks to do in our style of play, overload the middle, free fullbacks for free tap ins. It's the way we've played for a while now and it's pretty formulaic.

Hence us needing other ways of playing once we get found out.

Hope the power and pace of Armstrong or the unknown qualities of Mayulu can give us that option otherwise it might be the same old struggle once again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

That's for the fullbacks to do in our style of play, overload the middle, free fullbacks for free tap ins. It's the way we've played for a while now and it's pretty formulaic.

Hope the power and pace of Armstrong or the unknown qualities of Mayulu can give us that option otherwise it might be the same old struggle once again.

Yes I understand what you’re saying but I think for me it’s been a case of us trying to play a style that doesn’t suit many members of our squad and it would appear that if we are planning on continuing with that style this season then we haven’t brought in players that are suited to and can consistently do what the manager wants.

for example overlapping full backs who provide quality crosses, I like Pring and he can certainly get up and down the pitch but his final ball is often found wanting and on the right our best option for RWB would be McCrorie and again in preseason he’s certainly shown that he can get up and down but is that final ball quality there on a consistent basis.

Edited by Back of the Dolman
  • Like 1

Same things over and over again. It truly is like groundhog day visiting this thread. Be interesting to see the stats re which posters have the highest input saying the same things. I'm pretty sure I know anyway.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2

10 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

I agree with what you but FWIW I feel we overload wide rather than centrally.  It’s probably more wide and “half-space” (I hate that term) overload imho.  Our problem is getting the ball infield with enough bodies.  I will wait to see what transpires this season, it might be different, but I watched the Newport game where we dominate a Lg2 side but we didn’t create much in the box, a few flashed crosses.

It is formulaic as you say.

It will get sussed out as you say.  In fact I think opponents will be quite happy for us to play this way.

Armstrong will cause problems.  I think Mayulu has something but we won’t see it with Stokes behind him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Same things over and over again. It truly is like groundhog day visiting this thread. Be interesting to see the stats re which posters have the highest input saying the same things. I'm pretty sure I know anyway.

You’ve just added 1 more to your input 

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

You assume a different club wouldn't know the ins and out anyway without having to talk to the agent. 

Quite the opposite, it had been said that putting him the U21's had alerted them to he was not going to sign and therefore devalued him, I disagree with that thought process, as I think most interested clubs will have a good inkling of what was going on and with the negotiations ended, his agents job would be to make sure everyone knew this

8 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Quite the opposite, it had been said that putting him the U21's had alerted them to he was not going to sign and therefore devalued him, I disagree with that thought process, as I think most interested clubs will have a good inkling of what was going on and with the negotiations ended, his agents job would be to make sure everyone knew this

No putting him in the u21s wasn’t the trigger for other clubs knowing, it was the trigger for showing our desperation! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1