IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

Tim’s name is also an anagram for ‘A Man Gin Moth’ which is actually a new Marvel movie in development about a Man who after being bitten by a moth, turns alcoholic via a gin addiction. I’ll expect he’ll be getting a letter from some lawyers soon. 

Edited by Nugget
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Bell and Sykes (not convinced longer term they are what we need for top six). Bell has one last chance this season to prove he can develop at this level. 

I agree and neither are LM players. It’s quite conceivable we could off load either before the window closes if we sign another wide player 

• Hmmm 1

12 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Bell and Sykes (not convinced longer term they are what we need for top six). Bell has one last chance this season to prove he can develop at this level. 

Sykes stacks up well and has been shunted around.

10 Goals, 2 Assists in 42 Games when played in predominantly his correct position.

That being the League, January 2023 to December 2023.

There is a starting point.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I agree and neither are LM players. It’s quite conceivable we could off load either before the window closes if we sign another wide player 

Based on?

We didn't sign up for a rebuild last November, and while Manning is fine..possibly the shape is of question, the set-up if so.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Based on?

We didn't sign up for a rebuild last November, and while Manning is fine..possibly the shape is of question, the set-up if so.

Both were at the club before Manning, he may not fancy them in his way of playing or they don’t have the attributes he wants 

If he needs a different type of wide player to play a particular shape then why not?

He has clearly got players in who are vastly different to what we had before in attack, pace, power & physically more adept at a particular style 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Both were at the club before Manning, he may not fancy them in his way of playing or they don’t have the attributes he wants 

If he needs a different type of wide player to play a particular shape then why not?

He has clearly got players in who are vastly different to what we had before in attack, pace, power & physically more adept at a particular style 

If Manning can get better than we have within specific strict financial parameters well that is good indeed but...the attacking players Yu aside are of a certain profile, plus have a certain amount to prove.

Manning ball was hard to pin down last year.. 

*Begun with something like inherited shape

*Back 3 with wide players and wingbacks.

*Back 3 with two 10s and wingbacks.

Now this 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 pre-season. Wells as the 10 behind Sinclair? Sykes on the left doesn't fully convince Mehemti on the right a bit better.

1 hour ago, fly in the air said:

Hopefully at today's match we should hear more on any deals that are happening. or not happening.  Hopefully the reporters ask the question. 

And answered by LM “sorry, I won’t talk about players at other clubs” or “that’s not my remit, you’ll have to ask Brian”! 😉

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hopefully Manning can update on- as far as possible anyway.. 

*Conway

*Twine

*The Yu situation- biggest vacuum there so far IMO.

Plus the status of Roberts, Murphy or both.

I suspect that won’t be very far!!

Conway/Twine: unless someone is about to put pen to paper today then he’d probably be wise to say as little as he can!

Yu - and agree that’s the biggest vacuum - is at least our player now, but in fairness I imagine the club is largely reliant on opinions from the Japanese camp so may not want to say too much until he’s in Bristol?

Roberts, definitely would be good to get an idea about. The Murphy one sounds like it could be one of those really tricky to predict ones? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And answered by LM “sorry, I won’t talk about players at other clubs” or “that’s not my remit, you’ll have to ask Brian”! 😉

as it should be, to be fair. 

The thirst for information is natural, but needs to be tempered. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wonder if there’s a standard module for football manager’s comms training; non-committal speak! How to sound interesting, or at least interested, whilst really saying nothing. 

14 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I wonder if there’s a standard module for football manager’s comms training; non-committal speak! How to sound interesting, or at least interested, whilst really saying nothing. 

It’s in the “experience module”, you have to collect enough green shield stamps to pay for it!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If Manning can get better than we have within specific strict financial parameters well that is good indeed but...the attacking players Yu aside are of a certain profile, plus have a certain amount to prove.

Manning ball was hard to pin down last year.. 

*Begun with something like inherited shape

*Back 3 with wide players and wingbacks.

*Back 3 with two 10s and wingbacks.

Now this 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 pre-season. Wells as the 10 behind Sinclair? Sykes on the left doesn't fully convince Mehemti on the right a bit better.

As LM said in a recent interview, he had a squad that he had to play in quite a rigid formation but now wants more fluidity in positions and players that fit into this ideology 

I am looking forward to todays game against good opposition and how that looks to those of us watching the game 

11 minutes ago, INCRED said:

As LM said in a recent interview, he had a squad that he had to play in quite a rigid formation but now wants more fluidity in positions and players that fit into this ideology 

I am looking forward to todays game against good opposition and how that looks to those of us watching the game 

Formation as in 442, 433, or formation as in structure, instruction given?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I've noticed fluidity in the friendlies so far. Players rotating positions.

Just now, mozo said:

I've noticed fluidity in the friendlies so far. Players rotating positions.

It’s preseason, very little riding on it.  I can’t wait to see how Newport play this season.  Whilst I don’t expect them to be as direct as they were under Coughlan last season, I don’t expect them to try to play out from the back like they did against us in the reality-check environment of Lg2.

Last preseason I remember our fluidity too, Roberts inverting from LB, picking up balls in midfield.  Dickie striding into midfield.  Scott, or Knight, or Weimann, taking balls in our own third with a man up their arse, on the half turn, rolling off their man and into space.  Some of that happened in matches, the Dickie bit for sure at times, but it’s a different kettle of fish when it comes to league matches and also better opponents.

I’ve no real expectations of what today’s game might tell us.  I hope it’s competitive.  They’ve (Willem) have just been promoted to top-flight, but bottom end of Eredivisie is worse than Champ, top half is a big spread of strength.  The “biggest bit” we are likely to learn today is the core of next Saturday’s line-up!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mozo said:

https://talksport.com/football/1994320/conor-gallagher-banished-chelsea-first-team-atletico-madrid/

Conor Gallagher exiled from Chelsea's first team after not signing a new deal. Told to train with the U21s.

Been at the club since he was 8.

How could Chelsea make such a stupid decision?

I blame Tinnion, or JL (the maverick), or Manning.

3 hours ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

How could Chelsea make such a stupid decision?

I blame Tinnion, or JL (the maverick), or Manning.

I see the point you’re trying to make, but I don’t think Chelsea right now are a club we should aspire to be run like. Have you seen their spend, the contract lengths they’ve been offering and their performances on the field? It’s an implosion waiting to happen. 

1 hour ago, 38MC said:

I see the point you’re trying to make, but I don’t think Chelsea right now are a club we should aspire to be run like. Have you seen their spend, the contract lengths they’ve been offering and their performances on the field? It’s an implosion waiting to happen. 

I think the relevance of the story is that Tommy is now one of three players we've seen this summer in this situation. A reminder that it's not unique.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nobody said it was…someone said it was the norm though.

I think it is interesting context when we label the club's decision a massive faux pas.

19 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think it is interesting context when we label the club's decision a massive faux pas.

The “Conway decision” for me is 99% about diminishing his value / making us an easy bidding target.

And the 1% is - just imagine he’s got a straight choice between Boro and fee or Burnley and Twine (and McNally), you’ve lost a bit of control to say “Tommy, it would suit us if you went to Burnley if you are 50/50”.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

A decision needs to be made regarding Conway. I see Boro are looking at other options. we have no idea what deal has been offered If any. But If Boro is the only one then we need to except.  we could end up with just a compensation fee.

We know nothing about what's going on regarding negotiations with Boro or any other club, you have no idea what "decisions" have or have not been made. 

Despite your username, you are not privy to what's going on anymore than 99.9% of this forum. 

By the way, Boro's offer is £50 and a night out in Middlesbrough (off season) for all members of staff. Still want to take it? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

what a stupid comment 

He's right in his response. How can you say 'just take that deal' without having any more context of what's happening being the scenes. There could be other offers being considered i.e the reported Burnley proposition. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, italian dave said:

They all have media training these days players too that’s why they the vast majority of interviews sound the same with the same cliches!

23 hours ago, italian dave said:

If it's how to sound interesting then surely our Liam failed that module!

• Haha 1

These weirdos who come on here are exactly like those in the bygone era of Green and Pink Uns. Whilst waiing for the delivery van to arrive at the local newsagents, we had plenty of "interesting discussions". If someone misbehaved all the rest of us just turned our backs to the loony and not surprisingly, theywent to another paper shop!

PS; We City fans put up with a lot of junk from them at Eastville but we let them stay as they were short of brain material !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

These weirdos who come on here are exactly like those in the bygone era of Green and Pink Uns. Whilst waiing for the delivery van to arrive at the local newsagents, we had plenty of "interesting discussions". If someone misbehaved all the rest of us just turned our backs to the loony and not surprisingly, theywent to another paper shop!

PS; We City fans put up with a lot of junk from them at Eastville but we let them stay as they were short of brain material !

Sorry, you'll have to be more specific, just being here makes everyone some sort of weirdo. :)

"Except me and thee, and I am not sure about thee" :)

3 hours ago, frenchred said:

If it's how to sound interesting then surely our Liam failed that module!

Ha ha! Hence why I also said ‘sound interested’!!

To be fair, there’s very few managers I think are interesting, and certainly none of ours in recent years! I don’t know why there’s this obsession with them having to be rolled out after games.

Far better when the only comms they were expected to do was the weekly programme page….and they could get someone else to write that for them.

I don’t blame them, mind: it’s not what they’re employed to do. 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

Setting himself for a future “we should have done more to keep Conway” if he stops being fed info and reverts to his default critical position.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, petehinton said:

The incredibly pixelated picture is a nice touch too

I might be crediting him with too much intelligence, but it’s noticeable that the board behind Tommy reads “Middlesbrough”. Is Ian trolling us with Machiavallian clues, or is he just an arse? Who can say

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I might be crediting him with too much intelligence, but it’s noticeable that the board behind Tommy reads “Middlesbrough”. Is Ian trolling us with Machiavallian clues, or is he just an arse? Who can say

Most likely the latter😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

“Exclusive” 😂😂😂

I'm passing the coffee shop in 20 minutes. I could pop in and ask Mrs T where the additional interest is from.

Edited by Sleepy1968
premature submit
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, astrondrew said:

As I’ve been saying all along, there has always been “interest” in Tommy Conway.  He’s only realising that him repeating what City told him, means he has to back-track, rather than look silly.  They hadn’t turned into “bids” because City put a stupid price tag on his head…until Boro, trying to move quickly, put in a low but realistic bid.  It’s made a couple of clubs move from just “watching”.  Burnley for one.

Assuming City do want to sell this window, I think it becomes more about where does Tommy want to go, because I don’t think this becomes a bidding war, his value has a max at this point.  City might reject bids from some clubs, but if that means Tommy stays, then that’s their choice (poor choice).

• Like 1

On 03/08/2024 at 10:41, italian dave said:

Here it is 

Edited by pongo88
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As I’ve been saying all along, there has always been “interest” in Tommy Conway.  He’s only realising that him repeating what City told him, means he has to back-track, rather than look silly.  They hadn’t turned into “bids” because City put a stupid price tag on his head…until Boro, trying to move quickly, put in a low but realistic bid.  It’s made a couple of clubs move from just “watching”.  Burnley for one.

Assuming City do want to sell this window, I think it becomes more about where does Tommy want to go, because I don’t think this becomes a bidding war, his value has a max at this point.  City might reject bids from some clubs, but if that means Tommy stays, then that’s their choice (poor choice).

I love the way he writes ‘exclusive’. Good to and fro with @Davefevs too on X! He is really like a club official these days! So different to what Geoff T used to get each week! 

Edited by Shauntaylor85

8 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

If Ian is right then this must be Premier League/Glasgow club interest, hence the better for Tommy/better for the club comment, let’s see if he’s right on this one

Or and apologies for replying to myself here, thinking out load… Ian has realised that after denying Burnley’s interest, he has now had information they are in and the swap deal reported by BL is a real possibility…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

If Ian is right then this must be Premier League/Glasgow club interest, hence the better for Tommy/better for the club comment, let’s see if he’s right on this one

Forget Glasgow interest. Celtic won 5-0 yesterday and don't need Conway to walk the SPL. In the unlikely event they do come in he'd be a squad player there. Rangers could do with him but won't pay the money we want. 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I know which my money's on and it's nothing to do with Niccolo Machiavelli.... 😕

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If Tinnion selectively leaks info..well he shouldn't be in his doesn't position for one thing, but his words *may* carry a bit of weight due to that.

I think we saw over the years him pretend to be in the know and we all knew it was likely nonsense. However we all assume now where he is getting this from which agreed is wholly unprofessional if true in any industry to be leaking sensitive information to a customer (or supporter in this case). Surely the club investigates things like this and deals with the person appropriately?! You could see how close he had managed to get from an in person HPC interview. Was the main city fan to publicly backing them at time of fan unrest last year so now has to play ball or will lose ITK status it appears! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I think we saw over the years him pretend to be in the know and we all knew it was likely nonsense. However we all assume now where he is getting this from which agreed is wholly unprofessional if true in any industry to be leaking sensitive information to a customer (or supporter in this case). Surely the club investigates things like this and deals with the person appropriately?! You could see how close he had managed to get from an in person HPC interview. Was the main city fan to publicly backing them at time of fan unrest last year so now has to play ball or will lose ITK status it appears! 

He (Tinnion) is "The Man" for whatever reason. If it was a regular or below Member of Staff I reckon they would be in deep trouble.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Deleted an irrelevant point

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think this helps any discussion point.

It doesn’t really, but the other week I ordered a latte macchiato and asked for it skinny as I’m trying to lose weight. Although I trusted the discretion of the coffee shop manager, I was stunned to find that most of the other patrons knew my order even before I’d recieved it, when I still may have changed to an Americano. Furthermore, I paid a little extra for the skinny status and the information of the price seemed to hit the public domain with no explanation. It wouldn’t have been so bad, but they literally had a Scottish barista over from Belgium sitting down doing nothing while I was trying to get my drink due to “work permit” issues.

(Her working at the shop is totally irrelevant)

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

It does seem to infer that a bigger player than Boro has come in for Tommy. Maybe it's just Burnley or perhaps, like you say, Further up the food chain. 

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

It does seem to infer that a bigger player than Boro has come in for Tommy. Maybe it's just Burnley or perhaps, like you say, Further up the food chain. 

Impossible. The sages on here have spoken on many occasions that Tommy isn’t that good. And that’s not just because they’re a bit bitter about the situation. No siree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Impossible. The sages on here have spoken on many occasions that Tommy isn’t that good. And that’s not just because they’re a bit bitter about the situation. No siree.

Let it all out Silv 😜

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but with the Burnley deal in mind, could we have e.g. reached out to WBA for some sort of Asante-Thomas, Conway and Swift deal.

Asante-Thomas is now at Coventry but price and wages permitting quite a few boxes could've been ticked.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but with the Burnley deal in mind, could we have e.g. reached out to WBA for some sort of Asante-Thomas, Conway and Swift deal.

Asante-Thomas is now at Coventry but price and wages permitting quite a few boxes could've been ticked.

Would Asante or Swift want to come here?