Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

5 minutes ago, Ron W said:

Yeah we got a tip on Friday, but still haven’t been able to run it in full

Would not be surprised if it’s one of these four:

Southampton

Wolves

Brighton

Leicester

…yeah, yeah, I know that’s scattergun, but 2 of those 4 have had interest for a while.

Any of these 4 could bid lower too and be seen as a more attractive proposition to Conway, and then there’s a whole new issue!

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

Southampton

Wolves

Brighton

Leicester

…yeah, yeah, I know that’s scattergun, but 2 of those 4 have had interest for a while.

Any of these 4 could bid lower too and be seen as a more attractive proposition to Conway, and then there’s a whole new issue!

My original thought was that one of the 3 promoted sides was his likeliest destination.

Ipswich have signed Delap since & it has veered all over the place but wouldn’t be surprised if it is Leicester or Southampton.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My original thought was that one of the 3 promoted sides was his likeliest destination.

Ipswich have signed Delap since & it has veered all over the place but wouldn’t be surprised if it is Leicester or Southampton.

I don’t think any club I put above would be “rocket surgery”!

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Impossible. The sages on here have spoken on many occasions that Tommy isn’t that good. And that’s not just because they’re a bit bitter about the situation. No siree.

There are as many over rating the kid as under rating him when the truth is that a move to Middlesbrough or Burnley is his moniker...........

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

There are as many over rating the kid as under rating him when the truth is that a move to Middlesbrough or Burnley is his moniker...........

I couldn’t agree more and have said so for months. I’m more talking of the cabal who seem to think that a 21 year old international striker who has top scored for his championship club two years running appears to be not very good at all, when that’s patently not the case!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

You know this, none of their players live there.

Ravenelli & Mendieta certainly didn’t.

Burnley has lots of redeeming areas nearby. The other however….

Would be begging to go to Burnley if I was looking at Rightmove, filter postcode: within 20 mile radius of

• Like 1

So now we have Burnley, Hull and Middlesbrough showing their hand all we do now is await AC Milan, Atletico Madrid and Man United to join the fray (according to some)................so that Tommy can end up at his true level?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

For goodness sake. He’s a championship player, why not just accept that Tommy and sign a new deal with release clause. 

All the clubs named have a better chance of promotion than us 

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You know this, none of their players live there.

Ravenelli & Mendieta certainly didn’t.

Yeah, was a joke.

Though I suspect many of the younger players do live in or near the town/city centres, or certainly within walking distance of a Nando's or two. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

That would be a funny turn of events. Him lining up against us on the opening day of the season. 

Just as well the club has not let him train with the 1st team to get to the required level of match  fitness and know any of our tactics, corner / free kick routines

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yeah, was a joke.

Though I suspect many of the younger players do live in or near the town/city centres, or certainly within walking distance of a Nando's or two. 

Was gonna ask your post code Kid….but all these GDPR clauses 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

For goodness sake. He’s a championship player, why not just accept that Tommy and sign a new deal with release clause. 

I do wonder, to be honest, whether both Danny Coles and Tommy himself have been given a wake-up call with these five clubs showing an interest?

Sunderland, Stoke, Boro, Burnley and Middlesbrough

None of them bad clubs at all (take your opinion of them as individual clubs out of it) but all have one thing in common........we'll be seeing them at the Gate next year and none of them are GUARANTEED to be playing at Anfield, The Emirates, Old Trafford etc. the season after (bar Burnley possibly?). Like @Silvio Dante I did say a while back that my hunch was we would be seeing Tommy playing at the Gate this season for the opposition. Starting to look nailed on now.

• Like 1

I thought Hull was quite like Bristol when I visited. Maritime, gert big bridge, nice countryside round about. 

Get a little place on the E. Yorks coast and have a lovely old time.

But is the club an upgrade... probably not given where they both are.

5 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Hull have been offloading a lot so the jury is out, Stoke haven't finished above 13th post relegation.

Agree on the others.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Yeah, a chance (except Burnley who are a SHOULD). Is that what Coles and Conway REALLY envisaged? Was it ******* bollocks, if anyone thinks that they've got their head stuck up their arse. I know and accept people have a lot of dislike for the hierarchy of this club and justifiably for a lot of issues but, **** me, Coles has played an absolute blinder for his Client here.....NOT. Nobody is justifying it to me that Tommy has resoundingly won this war, no ******.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Numero Uno said:

I do wonder, to be honest, whether both Danny Coles and Tommy himself have been given a wake-up call with these five clubs showing an interest?

I don’t think Tommy was seriously expecting a PL move.

1 minute ago, Ron W said:

Do you seriously think he was expecting the level of Burnley, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Hull and Stoke?

Burnley, I'll give you that one, the rest not a chance. Given this is the Championship we could just as easily finish above four of those five as finish below them all. Whilst somebody pointed out they all in theory have a higher chance than us this season I would argue only Burnley are 100% cast iron nailed on to finish above us out of those five teams before a ball is kicked.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hull would be his best bet I reckon. They are seriously lacking up top in comparison to Burnley and Boro. Although, those teams certainly have a much higher chance of promotion. I imagine Hull will probably finish around us unless they bring in some top class players before the deadline with all that money they brought in.

3 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

Hull would be his best bet I reckon. They are seriously lacking up top in comparison to Burnley and Boro. Although, those teams certainly have a much higher chance of promotion. I imagine Hull will probably finish around us unless they bring in some top class players before the deadline with all that money they brought in.

They are or have been restricted by FFP.

The Sales, Loanees departing and released will ease matters but they will have been a major spender last year..can they afford that much atm.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yeah, a chance (except Burnley who are a SHOULD). Is that what Coles and Conway REALLY envisaged? Was it ******* bollocks, if anyone thinks that they've got their head stuck up their arse. I know and accept people have a lot of dislike for the hierarchy of this club and justifiably for a lot of issues but, **** me, Coles has played an absolute blinder for his Client here.....NOT. Nobody is justifying it to me that Tommy has resoundingly won this war, no ******.

Sometimes though, you just want a change of boss, cos the one you've been working for is a bit of a di ck. Promised you a pay rise and a longer contract, then says "naaa Didn't mean it really. And oh by the way were bringing in a new head of department that wont like the way you work so will diminish your skills some what. Better sign the old contract we offered you or we'll ship you out asap."

Perhaps He can get a better pay deal and a 3/4 yr contract elsewhere. Not sure how Coles / Tommy have messed up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Exactly! He has been severely misled over the last 12-24 months. Should not even have a release clause now if he did want to come back. Sure, he may get more money from these deals than what was on the table but basically hitting his financial ceiling with this deal. I don’t see potential for any higher than this level. 

14 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Burnley? Sure agree 100% but does he play there? 

The others? It is a lottery. Sure Boro stronger but not close to the relegated sides or Leeds in theory. It is a sideways move pretty much anywhere he goes in this league. 

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Do you seriously think he was expecting the level of Burnley, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Hull and Stoke?

Burnley, I'll give you that one, the rest not a chance. Given this is the Championship we could just as easily finish above four of those five as finish below them all. Whilst somebody pointed out they all in theory have a higher chance than us this season I would argue only Burnley are 100% cast iron nailed on to finish above us out of those five teams before a ball is kicked.

Top-end Championship, I believe yes. And it wouldn’t be shocking to see any of the clubs mentioned going up.

Without knowing what the exact contract offer he received was, or wanting to say too much, I don’t think TC has done much wrong other than not want to sign it.

• Like 5
  • Flames 3

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hull have been offloading a lot so the jury is out, Stoke haven't finished above 13th post relegation.

Agree on the others.

Who would you bet on reaching the prem first, the clubs named or city.

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Southampton

Wolves

Brighton

Leicester

My money is on the saints

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Why not. He certainly wasnt going to get a transfer to the PL playing up front for a Manning team at Ashton Gate. Any of those clubs could well be a 'stepping stone' to the PL in a couple of years time.

• Like 2

Just now, Ron W said:

I think he may have been.

Hearing that Wolves and Celtic both had an early interest may have given him cause to think that those sort of teams were within reach. 

Burnley or Middlesbrough are probably the best he can get at this stage. Hull and Stoke are at best a sideways move.

Whatever, best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

Just now, Glen hump said:

Who would you bet on reaching the prem first, the clubs named or city.

Completely agree. But just because they have a better chance doesn’t mean they will go on to. 

I’d be surprised if he isn’t a little surprised at the calibre of clubs that have come in for him. 

• Hmmm 1

It is an interesting reflection on the level of ambition of the club that Tommy appears to be on his way to another championship club. I have been saying for some time that I do not believe the hierarchy at the club have what it takes to get us into the premier league and nothing I have seen this summer changes that view. I fear another season where we flirt more with the bottom three than the top six. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

Sometimes though, you just want a change of boss, cos the one you've been working for is a bit of a di ck. Promised you a pay rise and a longer contract, then says "naaa Didn't mean it really. And oh by the way were bringing in a new head of department that wont like the way you work so will diminish your skills some what. Better sign the old contract we offered you or we'll ship you out asap."

Perhaps He can get a better pay deal and a 3/4 yr contract elsewhere. Not sure how Coles / Tommy have messed up.

Fair enough, that could be a valid reasoning. It seems a bit uninspiring and unambitious though, especially if he doesn't go to Burnley (Sunderland are a very big club but they don't really seem to be threatening the next level).

I do think the clubs that are showing interest are proving those of us that see Tommy as decent Championship level right and those that thought he was far better than that might have been over egging him.........

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Hearing that Wolves and Celtic both had an early interest may have given him cause to think that those sort of teams were within reach. 

Before any formal bids came in he was definitely aware PL was potentially out of reach this season.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Because Conway and the club would have to agree on the value, with Conway on a longer deal the club would want a release clause matching at least what they wanted for Tommy at the start of the window

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I couldn’t agree more and have said so for months. I’m more talking of the cabal who seem to think that a 21 year old international striker who has top scored for his championship club two years running appears to be not very good at all, when that’s patently not the case!

Only about a week ago people were saying "Tommy isn't as good as he thinks he is" and "there isn't the interest in Tommy that he thinks"

A week is a long time in football. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Only about a week ago people were saying "Tommy isn't as good as he thinks he is" and "there isn't the interest in Tommy that he thinks"

A week is a long time in football. 

There were a few people who knew their was interest in him 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ron W said:

Top-end Championship, I believe yes. And it wouldn’t be shocking to see any of the clubs mentioned going up.

Without knowing what the exact contract offer he received was, or wanting to say too much, I don’t think TC has done much wrong other than not want to sign it.

I'm not bothered he hasn't signed the contract and I agree, it's his prerogative. The only thing now is for the club to get the best deal. I hope three or four more Championship clubs try and stick their snout in the trough..................