IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

Just now, Numero Uno said:

I'm not bothered he hasn't signed the contract and I agree, it's his prerogative. The only thing now is for the club to get the best deal. I hope three or four more Championship clubs try and stick their snout in the trough..................

Can’t see a bidding war happening’ it’ll be who offers the best deal for Tommy 

• Like 2

Just now, Glen hump said:

We can turn down bids as he's still our player.......if Stoke offer us £0.5m and offer to pay Conway £60m per week he ain't going to Stoke.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

We can turn down bids as he's still our player.......if Stoke offer us £0.5m and offer to pay Conway £60m per week he ain't going to Stoke.

That’s not how it’ll work’ there all offer around the same.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Isn't that a bidding war ?

His personal contract’ won’t benefit city will it 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Glen hump said:

That’s not how it’ll work’ there all offer around the same.

Unless one or two clubs break rank because they are a bit desperate............and then we can turn down the other offers. Ultimately the five clubs apparently interested means this whole saga should be that much closer to getting sorted in the next week or two.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Unless one or two clubs break rank because they are a bit desperate............and then we can turn down the other offers. Ultimately the five clubs apparently interested means this whole saga should be that much closer to getting sorted in the next week or two.

I really hope so’ it’s getting tedious now 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yeah, was a joke.

Though I suspect many of the younger players do live in or near the town/city centres, or certainly within walking distance of a Nando's or two. 

Isnt that a Tammy Abraham quote? Remember him saying, when talking about Swansea, that it was the first time in his life that he had to consider when he went out and did stuff because he realised he wasn’t in a ‘real city’ anymore!

21 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Do you seriously think he was expecting the level of Burnley, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Hull and Stoke?

Burnley, I'll give you that one, the rest not a chance. Given this is the Championship we could just as easily finish above four of those five as finish below them all. Whilst somebody pointed out they all in theory have a higher chance than us this season I would argue only Burnley are 100% cast iron nailed on to finish above us out of those five teams before a ball is kicked.

Sunderland are a massive club, most people expect Boro to do better than us.

Burnley should be up there with their financial advantage.

I’d avoid the other two if I was him.

• Like 3

Once they no longer want to play for my club there irrelevant to me , if / when he leaves I don’t wish him good luck because that good luck could be to our misfortune also don’t wish any hardship , tbf he hasn’t done much for us played well a few times and poorly a few like most players , just do what you got to do as soon as poss leave or sign 

if he come back I wouldn’t clap or boo tbh 

the sort of players I do give a clap to are players / people that have helped or did help our club above and beyond my No1 recently was wilbraham absolute leader on and off the pitch wasn’t hear that long but deffo made a mark on me 

Edited by redkev
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Isnt that a Tammy Abraham quote? Remember him saying, when talking about Swansea, that it was the first time in his life that he had to consider when he went out and did stuff because he realised he wasn’t in a ‘real city’ anymore!

Always remember the classic Two Ronnies joke about a hydrogen bomb landing on Swansea & doing £26 worth of damage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Think Conway should really be considering his choice of agent, he's going to end up having to uproot to the north of England away from family and friends to play in the same league he's currently in for surely not too much more than he would have been earning here if he'd signed a new contract. In fact based on what he's probably lost out on between  the point of the offer bring made and now he's unlikely to break even!

He's a very good finisher so in the right team with decent service I still think he can do well as long as the upheaval of moving doesn't take away his focus

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Think Conway should really be considering his choice of agent, he's going to end up having to uproot to the north of England away from family and friends to play in the same league he's currently in for surely not too much more than he would have been earning here if he'd signed a new contract. In fact based on what he's probably lost out on between  the point of the offer bring made and now he's unlikely to break even!

He's a very good finisher so in the right team with decent service I still think he can do well as long as the upheaval of moving doesn't take away his focus

I might not be about ££££

Positive that there are an increasing number of clubs showing interest.

Of course, I just want him to go to the club that offers the best deal for Bristol City.

I think people have been a bit naive suggesting that Boro would be a sideways move - they're probably one of the favourites to finish in the top 6 this season.

Hull, on the other hand, would at best constitute a sideways move IMO. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redkev said:

Once they no longer want to play for my club there irrelevant to me , if / when he leaves I don’t wish him good luck because that good luck could be to our misfortune also don’t wish any hardship , tbf he hasn’t done much for us played well a few times and poorly a few like most players , just to what you got to do as soon as poss 

if he come back I wouldn’t clap or boo tbh 

the sort of players I do give a clap to are players / people that have helped or did help our club above and beyond my No1 recently was wilbraham absolute leader on and off the pitch wasn’t hear that long but deffo made a mark on me 

Totally agree with all of that.

TBH Wilbs literally made a mark on most people especially the opposition.

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

15 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Totally this. He’s been at this club since 8, no issue him going to a Leeds at this level or a club like Brighton (indeed any club in PL as it’s a great shot at it) but if he ends up at Hull that is throughly depressing. Just feel clearly there is a relationship issue, I go back again to that very first video of Manning talking to the squad post Nige sacking and Conway looks unhappy and deeply unimpressed! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

It would be absolutely embarrassing to lose Conway to clubs such as Hull or Stoke. Why on earth can they afford to pay him more than us?

Yea Middlesbrough or Burnley, let alone a PL club or in some ways the Old Firm I get.

Hull and Stoke seem more ambitious but we are in at least as good an FFP position as both of them. SL wants to put in I suspect £5-10m per year only, as opposed to £15-20m.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hull and Stoke seem more ambitious but we are in at least as good an FFP position as both of them. SL wants to put in I suspect £5-10m per year only, as opposed to £15-20m.

Ambitious or cavalier?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

It would be absolutely embarrassing to lose Conway to clubs such as Hull or Stoke. Why on earth can they afford to pay him more than us?

Imo it’s not just the club at fault here. Conway doesn’t want to be at our club anymore. In that case because I’m bitter and it’s a tad funny I’d rather he went to a Stoke and middle it out with us in the champ than get promoted with Burnley🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Ambitious or cavalier?

Oh cavalier is a good term, but how they are perceived in Football Parlance. I have a particular issue with Stoke...

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Bloody cheapskate. 
:whistle2:

Ha it came out poorly! I suppose the issue is that the Championship is a bit of a bottomless pit for Cash. FFP is limiting this somewhat but a few more million could go a long way.

I'm not fully sure of the right answer and new Rules could amend it again, but we have ample headroom to spend a few million more as we did post the sale of Scott.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Glen hump said:

All the clubs named have a better chance of promotion than us 

I hope not. Hull have lost their top 10 players according to The Second Tier PodCast. We'd be looking to finish above them as things stand.

But they are clearly incentivised to land a decent striker. I can’t see TC having much interest in them though.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Definitely not how Conway pictured how his summer was going to pan out after the euros. 

I agree.

Given the above maybe Conway has second thoughts, does a U turn and reopens negotiations with City on a contract or contract extension? 

Mind you, I'm not sure Manning even wants him here now so it maybe out of Tommy's hands in any case.

Just now, supercidered said:

I agree.

Given the above maybe Conway has second thoughts, does a U turn and reopens negotiations with City on a contract or contract extension? 

Mind you, I'm not sure Manning even wants him here now so it maybe out of Tommy's hands in any case.

I think there is no chance of that, but you never know.

Especially if any truth to the rumours that we offered him £x then offered £y post the Celtic move not occuring.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think there is no chance of that, but you never know.

Especially if any truth to the rumours that we offered him £x then offered £y post the Celtic move not occuring.

Don't think that's a rumour - it's a fact.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 2

2 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I agree.

Manning and Tinnion have had some bad planning here! This window is not going as well as they had hoped clearly, seems we’ve already decided we want powerful target men instead of a Tommy type so we’ve replaced him already and are now likely to be desperate to fund the Twine deal. It would be the most Bristol City thing to sell him to Hull and he comes on to score a 90th min deflected winner on Saturday. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Yeah, a chance (except Burnley who are a SHOULD). Is that what Coles and Conway REALLY envisaged? Was it ******* bollocks, if anyone thinks that they've got their head stuck up their arse. I know and accept people have a lot of dislike for the hierarchy of this club and justifiably for a lot of issues but, **** me, Coles has played an absolute blinder for his Client here.....NOT. Nobody is justifying it to me that Tommy has resoundingly won this war, no ******.

I think too many people are pointing out his next move is a binary choice.  I think it depends on who comes in for him.

He has a range of options.  My simplified take:

- Premier League Development option

- Premier League Squad option for a low-end team

- Championship Relegated Team

- Champ PP club / prospective promotion team

Depending on how those clubs position him as a signing, might help decide which one he favours.  Each has its appeal, especially if you have made up your mind you aren’t staying.

Even Semenyo had to play a bit of a longer game.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Manning and Tinnion have had some bad planning here! This window is not going as well as they had hoped clearly, seems we’ve already decided we want powerful target men instead of a Tommy type so we’ve replaced him already and are now likely to be desperate to fund the Twine deal. It would be the most Bristol City thing to sell him to Hull and he comes on to score a 90th min deflected winner on Saturday. 

Even City wouldn't sell him to Hull before playing them on Saturday.

I can't believe I just typed that.

Of course they would.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

That's not what it's about. It's about City allegedly going back on an offer and Tommy deciding that it was the last straw.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think too many people are pointing out his next move is a binary choice.  I think it depends on who comes in for him.

He has a range of options.  My simplified take:

- Premier League Development option

- Premier League Squad option for a low-end team

- Championship Relegated Team

- Champ PP club / prospective promotion team

Depending on how those clubs position him as a signing, might help decide which one he favours.  Each has its appeal, especially if you have made up your mind you aren’t staying.

Even Semenyo had to play a bit of a longer game.

Or European or Old Firm if any come in.

On the Europe point, would any mid ranking or above but mid to low ranking in the top 5 top divisions in Europe outside the PL take a punt I wonder.

33 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

But both clubs have at least played in the Premier League. I don’t see that many clubs in our division that haven't had a recent historical high above ours.

1 hour ago, Glen hump said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

⬇️⬇️⬇️

This is the dilemma / risk both City and Tommy have to navigate.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

That's not what it's about. It's about City allegedly going back on an offer and Tommy deciding that it was the last straw.

Allegedly , no one actually knows this is fact , put out there now treated as fact 

Edited by Cov 77
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 2
  • Flames 2

38 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Totally this. He’s been at this club since 8, no issue him going to a Leeds at this level or a club like Brighton (indeed any club in PL as it’s a great shot at it) but if he ends up at Hull that is throughly depressing. Just feel clearly there is a relationship issue, I go back again to that very first video of Manning talking to the squad post Nige sacking and Conway looks unhappy and deeply unimpressed! 

Losing Mr Pearson was a blow on top of the contract debacle and wasn’t helped by the loss of Alex Scott and the way Mr Manning had us playing. 

Some will point to Tommy didnt renew while Mr Pearson was here, but at that time he had time. 

There is a lot plays into this than meets the eye (particularly once you get past club inspired commentary which the kid has never once responded to) 

I think all party’s are past the point of no return now!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

If he ends up at a Championship club up north then he'll still be earning more and playing for a club that has recent premier league history and a good chance of getting back there. 

If he goes to Boro for example then it's only a short flight back to Bristol. Probably quicker flying from Newcastle than it is driving from premier league Southampton for example. 

15 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Allegedly , no one actually knows this is fact , put out there now treated as fact 

Of course allegedly, but verbally told he was going to be highest paid player and team built to play to him, and then quite the opposite happening is potentially the case

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Of course allegedly, but verbally told he was going to be highest paid player and team built to play to him, and then quite the opposite happening is potentially the case

Maybe LM realised Conway isn’t as good as Conway thinks he is and said no thanks 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Maybe LM realised Conway isn’t as good as Conway thinks he is and said no thanks 

Totally agree, as is his right to do so. And Conways to decide he will move elsewhere. 

I do want to see LM believe in some of the youth players tho, so far it’s been fairly clear he hasn’t. 

• Like 2

Just now, ciderwithtommy said:

Totally agree, as is his right to do so. And Conways to decide he will move elsewhere. 

I do want to see LM believe in some of the youth players tho, so far it’s been fairly clear he hasn’t. 

I think he has given some of the more talented ones a good opportunity in pre season to be fair and they have certainly impressed 

When you are head coach and you want to play a particular way with specific types of players and your neck is on the line then you get players in to do a job for you

Conway had opportunities under LM last season and I guess he isn’t in the mould of what he wants and we are happy for him to leave 

11 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Maybe ? But as said is not a fact but being put there as such which then creates a reaction which would be quite right if fact but just stirring if not 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I think he has given some of the more talented ones a good opportunity in pre season to be fair and they have certainly impressed 

When you are head coach and you want to play a particular way with specific types of players and your neck is on the line then you get players in to do a job for you

Conway had opportunities under LM last season and I guess he isn’t in the mould of what he wants and we are happy for him to leave 

NP fielded loads of youth and internal players hithero discarded, excellent numbers.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

NP fielded loads of youth and internal players hithero discarded, excellent numbers.

Because he had no choice, so many injuries, smaller squad so put them in to put out a team 

Just now, Supersonic Robin said:

Then the rumours are correct - he's clearly delusional!

Oh, I’ve heard you are quite useful 

15 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Does anyone actually think TC at present is worthy of being the highest player at the club? 

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

Because he had no choice, so many injuries, smaller squad so put them in to put out a team 

Then it's only fair to judge Manning by a similar criteria to an extent?

Scott, Benarous, Bell, Semenyo, Conway all emerged.

O'Leary, Vyner, Pring all found their way into and became integral parts. Inherited but discarded under prior regimes.

Also one of his tasks was to surely help to create a bit of value in the squad too, he spoke about it.

Probably others I am missing too but they all spring to mind.

• Flames 1

19 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Yea totally not good enough for Bristol City and Liam Manning but good enough to have multiple interest from lots of other clubs higher up than us. 

• Like 1

Manning and Tinnion need to be careful, a poor start to season because we’ve sold Conway to average champ rivals and not signed the one key position we have lacked but brought in untried players at this level in the Championship is  not going to go down well, especially after all the promotion talk! 

• Like 5
  • Flames 4

Just now, Shauntaylor85 said:

Manning and Tinnion need to be careful, a poor start to season because we’ve sold Conway to average champ rivals and not signed the one key position we have lacked but brought in untried players at this level in the Championship is  not going to go down well, especially after all the promotion talk! 

Yep, I'll set my expectations accordingly and judge them accordingly and I suspect a few other fans will too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Let’s be honest. The fans have no loyalty to Manning and many didn’t want him in the first place. Tinnion is not flavour of the month either so it could be a tough few weeks ahead. Fans want to see progression. Seems we are undoing a lot of Pearson and Gould’s hard work to stabilise us for a step forward. Hope I’m proved wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

Does anyone actually think TC at present is worthy of being the highest player at the club? 

No, but then again I don’t think he was asking to be either!