IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

35 minutes ago, 38MC said:

And I'm pretty sure it's only allowed within the competition rules for loans and not permanent transfers where the playing rights are transferred from one club to another. A more creative solution though would be to complete the transfer after the cut off time for the player to be registered in time for the game... so you're right it could be done, but I'm sure not in any meaningful and enforceable way other than that. 

Have you a source?

The obvious one is to do so after cut off but I'm sure it can be worked that he doesn't play vs us on Day 1.

1 hour ago, fly in the air said:

if he went to Hull this week put a clause In not to play Sat. surely not that difficult 

Easier than that, we take him up on the coach, we get there mid afternoon and the deadline to play the following day has past. Why make it complicated?

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They won't...

I wonder if they would be petulant enough to keep Conway out of first team contention for the entire season if no move somehow materialised.

It won’t come to that but I honestly think they’d have to ‘ there’s no coming back from this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Regardless of what's gone on, if true, this is classless and vindictive.

Perhaps they think if they tweet about his birthday, people might realise he is over 21?

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, bcfctim said:

Maybe it's simply because they think he'd just get abuse, social media being what it is

Good point.

But can't you turn off comments on a tweet?

If not they could just put it on the website if they really were concerned.

Sad state of affairs, whatever.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Charlie0016 said:

Tommy Conways birthday today … club haven’t posted anything about it.

was Weimanns birthday yesterday and guess what … the club posted about it 

Oh well… at least The Moose did 🤣

IMG_4645.jpeg

Edited by Winston
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They won't...

I wonder if they would be petulant enough to keep Conway out of first team contention for the entire season if no move somehow materialised.

Yes they would

7 hours ago, Charlie0016 said:

Tommy Conways birthday today … club haven’t posted anything about it.

was Weimanns birthday yesterday and guess what … the club posted about it 

We have to be the nasties club in the football league.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

ITK on Boro forum says Conway coming to them and in fact medical tomorrow….hmmm. Same guy who called Hamilton apparently. 

Hope it’s true, good move.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Phenomenal insight here from Ian

”Gut feel is that City will accept the best offer”

No. Shit. Sherlock.

That is so staggeringly bland ITK it’s cringeworthy

He's a fan like all of us so his opinion is worth the same as any but come on, this is just silly now

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

TC primarily.

City secondary that they will hopefully have sold a player they want to sell.

I’m not sure it is Dave - will he play if he goes there?

Latte will be their No1 CF and bearing in mind they typically play one up front, he will have to bide his time and then when he does get a chance, he will have to take it.

Hull on the other hand - he would be their main man.

Time will tell……either way, both parties will want this done “n” dusted.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

I would get Mark Ashton in for one day to get the deal for Conways transfer sorted. he knows how to sell a player. I dont understand why it's so slow.

Welcome to the world of football transfers

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

I would get Mark Ashton in for one day to get the deal for Conways transfer sorted. he knows how to sell a player. I dont understand why it's so slow.

He can sell for good prices, granted. I wouldn't want him anywhere near the buying arm though. Time will tell but right now I believe Ipswich have paid vastly overpaid for Liam Delap. 

46 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

He can sell for good prices, granted. I wouldn't want him anywhere near the buying arm though. Time will tell but right now I believe Ipswich have paid vastly overpaid for Liam Delap. 

Not defending his tenure at City but he has done a great job for Ipswich since ha has been there.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

That be Premiere League Ipswich.

Id rather have Ashton dealing with transfers than who/what we have now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fly in the air said:

He would have also probably sorted the Twine debacle, he did a lot wrong did Mark, but these sagas would have never happened under him

I'd say Middlesbrough for sure unless..

*Burnley come in with a bigger bid.

*Old Firm

*A PL bottom 3rd club come in? Brentford...their new £30m striker is injured. Toney is surely off, Maupay back at Everton post loan.

*Maybe A European Club.

Of Hull or Middlesbrough, the latter are in a much more solid place and should be strong play-off contenders.

2 hours ago, Swede said:

So TC could go up to both Hull and Boro today and decide what's best for him

ONLY if we accept offers from both clubs. He's our player and if either of those two don't offer enough we don't accept their bid, simple as that. It's not a case of everything being Tommy's choice at this moment. If we say to him "the only club that has submitted an acceptable offer is Middlesbrough" then his "choice" is to go to Middlesbrough or spend a season in the 21's at Bristol City.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

No. Shit. Sherlock.

“In a twist from the norm, Bristol City have today decided to accept the worst offer on the table for Tommy Conway, a club insider said we are looking at doing things a little differently around here”

• Haha 7

24 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

He would have also probably sorted the Twine debacle, he did a lot wrong did Mark, but these sagas would have never happened under him

Same thing happened with tomlin, didn’t it? He was forever saying about moving pieces in the puzzle and that.  Happens at every club.

Edited by ZiderMeUp

I had a look at a similar situation although I admit you can be somewhat insulated in the PL hut they are a lower midtable club at best for cost base I assume. Rays was sold this sunmer.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2024/08/04/frank-would-be-delighted-if-toney-stayed-at-brentford/

Guess what. Win-win for Thomas Frank. If he goes some cash to reinvest, if he stays great striker. That is how he sees it anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I wonder if Brentford have put Toney in the U21s albeit Raya went for good money this year and they do have PL cash behind them- plus 3 Years Parachutes should the worst happen.

I think in the Toney situation, it's more a case of how much can Brentford get for him? There are a number of clubs higher up the food chain that want him. I don't think exile is needed to force the move.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I wonder if Brentford have put Toney in the U21s albeit Raya went for good money this year and they do have PL cash behind them- plus 3 Years Parachutes should the worst happen.

No they havent.

But i see Conor Gallagher was told that he wouldnt get first team action after rejecting a contract

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think in the Toney situation, it's more a case of how much can Brentford get for him? There are a number of clubs higher up the food chain that want him. I don't think exile is needed to force the move.

I reckon Thomas Frank wouldn't have an issue keeping him tbh..

The asking price has reportedly fallen fwiw once if not twice.

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

No they havent.

But i see Conor Gallagher was told that he wouldnt get first team action after rejecting a contract

Hard to say with Chelsea. On one hand this is true, otoh Maresca was moaning the other day about FFP Rules incentivising sale of youth players.

Tiny violin on that point tbh.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I had a look at a similar situation although I admit you can be somewhat insulated in the PL hut they are a lower midtable club at best for cost base I assume. Rays was sold this sunmer.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2024/08/04/frank-would-be-delighted-if-toney-stayed-at-brentford/

Guess what. Win-win for Thomas Frank. If he goes some cash to reinvest, if he stays great striker. That is how he sees it anyway.

As I say, different dynamic.

Toney is the finished article, Conway is developing.

Toney has top notch suitors, Conway has marginal progress available to him.

Toney wouldn't benefit so much from seeing out his contract as Conway. 

Plus City have already bought Conway's replacement. 

Perhaps Conor Gallagher a better comparison? Not sure.

17 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

ONLY if we accept offers from both clubs. He's our player and if either of those two don't offer enough we don't accept their bid, simple as that. It's not a case of everything being Tommy's choice at this moment. If we say to him "the only club that has submitted an acceptable offer is Middlesbrough" then his "choice" is to go to Middlesbrough or spend a season in the 21's at Bristol City.

That’s until he says I’ll spend a season with the 21’s at Bristol City thanks… Secondary offers would then be revisited by the club quick smart. At the moment I reckon Tommy is holding all the cards..

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I reckon Thomas Frank wouldn't have an issue keeping him tbh..

The asking price has reportedly fallen fwiw once if not twice.

Hard to say if Franck genuinely wants Toney to stay or if it is just sales patter.

Either way, Toney is arguably a far bigger asset on the pitch than Conway is for us. 

I'm a big fan of Conway, but he's still pretty fresh at this level.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ZiderMeUp said:

Same thing happened with tomlin, didn’t it? He was forever saying about moving pieces in the puzzle and that.  Happens at every club.

Ashton got Tomlin sorted in early July, very different to these Sagas

3 minutes ago, FNQ said:

That’s until he says I’ll spend a season with the 21’s at Bristol City thanks… Secondary offers would then be revisited by the club quick smart. At the moment I reckon Tommy is holding all the cards..

That all depends on Steve. He can afford to write off a couple of million quid even if it does hurt both the club and his pocket and say "rock on Tommy, 21's until January it is then for you lad and we'll see what you want to do then"................I think such a move from Tommy would be reckless and a car crash would ensue.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Riaz said:

No they havent.

Unlikely that would have happened if they hadnt had a queue of clubs at the door with upwards of £40 million smackaroonies in their mutts.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That all depends on Steve. He can afford to write off a couple of million quid even if it does hurt both the club and his pocket and say "rock on Tommy, 21's until January it is then for you lad and we'll see what you want to do then"................I think such a move from Tommy would be reckless and a car crash would ensue.

We’re talking about the same Steve right?

Just now, FNQ said:

We’re talking about the same Steve right?

If a billionaire wants to prove a point, whether childish or otherwise, then he can afford to do it. It's not as cut and dry as you think imo. I refuse to believe that the treatment Tommy has received from the club so far hasn't been at least ratified if not sanctioned from the very top, put it that way.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, FNQ said:

A season with the U21's isn't good for development. He has only just turned 22, I would argue that strikers usually start to peak around 24, 25 sometimes later.

That is if he even got any gametime, solely Training with a Group that he has significantly outgrown for an entire

That would be quite a gamble on his part too.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bit of a difference between Toney and Conway.Hardly comparable.

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If a billionaire wants to prove a point, whether childish or otherwise, then he can afford to do it. It's not as cut and dry as you think imo. I refuse to believe that the treatment Tommy has received from the club so far hasn't been at least ratified if not sanctioned from the very top, put it that way.

Certainly don’t disagree there… but I still can’t see Tommy going anywhere yet where he doesn’t want to. I guess we’ll all know soon enough.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A season with the U21's isn't good for development. He has only just turned 22, I would argue that strikers usually start to peak around 24, 25 sometimes later.

That is if he even got any gametime, solely Training with a Group that he has significantly outgrown for an entire

That would be quite a gamble on his part too.

I still don’t think it will happen, but if it did it wouldn’t necessarily be for a season, more like January.. could even be back in our first team if we change the manager in October again?(ironically as if it was because we’re not scoring enough goals..)

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Should we be setting an example too to the current batch of young kids? They will be allowed to move upwards, they have to so we can get their transfer fees in, but we really cant let them wind contracts down like this.

Just now, FNQ said:

I still don’t think it will happen, but if it did it wouldn’t necessarily be for a season, more like January.. could even be back in our first team if we change the manager in October again?(ironically as if it was because we’re not scoring enough goals..)

I don't think the hierarchy can back down now.

Manning will have had a say but not the sole one IMO.. 6 months in the U21s while not terminal doesn't help.

13 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Bit of a difference between Toney and Conway.Hardly comparable.

Well yes and no.

I'm not comparing them as Players as such, I'm comparing them in the last year of their contract who are Prime Assets and the best striker at their respective club(s).

Not that it means much but Conway is ahead of Toney at a comparable age by certain metrics.

37 minutes ago, mozo said:

Hard to say if Franck genuinely wants Toney to stay or if it is just sales patter.

I doubt that it matters to Franck if the club lose money. What’s important to him is winning matches. He has a top striker in his squad. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Should we be setting an example too to the current batch of young kids? They will be allowed to move upwards, they have to so we can get their transfer fees in, but we really cant let them wind contracts down like this.

That's the biggest learning lesson for the club. They have got to be cuter with contract offers (where was the +1 at the club's discretion in Tommy's for instance?) and not just assume that "good old Tommy" will sign his offer in due course because he's been here since he was seven.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

46 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I doubt that it matters to Franck if the club lose money. What’s important to him is winning matches. He has a top striker in his squad. 

You might be right. 

I don't think Tommy will be regarded in the same way. I think Tommy is a good young striker with big potential, but not as significant to us as Toney will be to Brentford. 

The plan is for Armstrong to step in and be the good young striker with potential. Finger crossed.

7 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

No. Shit. Sherlock.

And he's completely wrong - we absolutely could give Tommy permission to discuss personal terms whilst we are thrashing out the transfer details.

In fact that's probably wise, it helps from a budgetary perspective for Boro if they are able to get a remuneration package that suits them, if the player agrees terms and appears willing to join then they may be encouraged to move from their current position for fear of other clubs coming in and him agreeing more favourable terms with them as 'Boro's wage packet offer is £X, what's yours' leading him to renegotiate, and it will speed things up. 

All Tommy needs is our permission to speak to clubs, he does not need us to accept a bid. Why would we withhold permission for a player who is stuck in the under-21's, who wants to leave, and we clearly want to sell. It's an absolute nonsense. Instead you'd say 'here's SL's jet, get up there and impress them with your attitude Tommy'

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well yes and no.

I'm not comparing them as Players as such, I'm comparing them in the last year of their contract who are Prime Assets and the best striker at their respective club(s).

Not that it means much but Conway is ahead of Toney at a comparable age by certain metrics.

Fair point but I think Toney brings a  lot lot more to his team than Conway does to ours at this moment.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Fair point but I think Toney brings a  lot lot more to his team than Conway does to ours at this moment.

Also this is Toney's last chance at a big move at his age, so he'll bust a gut for Brentford this season.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 38MC said:

And he's completely wrong - we absolutely could give Tommy permission to discuss personal terms whilst we are thrashing out the transfer details.

In fact that's probably wise, it helps from a budgetary perspective for Boro if they are able to get a remuneration package that suits them, if the player agrees terms and appears willing to join then they may be encouraged to move from their current position for fear of other clubs coming in and him agreeing more favourable terms with them as 'Boro's wage packet offer is £X, what's yours' leading him to renegotiate, and it will speed things up. 

All Tommy needs is our permission to speak to clubs, he does not need us to accept a bid. Why would we withhold permission for a player who is stuck in the under-21's, who wants to leave, and we clearly want to sell. It's an absolute nonsense. Instead you'd say 'here's SL's jet, get up there and impress them with your attitude Tommy'

Exactly.  Great post btw.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1