IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I have doubts abour Bournemouth and their FFP to last season as I have for a while. Promotion Bonuses were not exempt for Nottingham Forest iirc.

Supposedly they (Bournemouth) got £6m in Loan Fees which helps but who knows.

Cash Flow is only an issue if the owner or external loans, Investors don't fill the void.

Doubts!!!!!

Same Bournemouth who blew FFP clear out of the water to get to the prem in the first place

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Doubts!!!!!

Same Bournemouth who blew FFP clear out of the water to get to the prem in the first place

I agree.

Sure but the rules were far weaker then. I see no reason they would be let off if they broke it to 2022 or 2023..2024 we don't know yet.

Strong doubts actually, I've been challenging their position and querying it on the FFP Thread for a while. A few others too.

1 hour ago, 38MC said:

Agree re cash flow, but if the deal is on the basis of meeting a release clause, that’s £65m today, not structured in instalments nor dependent upon anything.

That’s not to say Bournemouth maybe didn’t negotiate something else in order to get the deal through or stick in a sell on.

But it’s quite attractive to an investor to know that the club will be cash rich so they can use their cash to invest elsewhere and get a return on it. 

Instalments and Profit and Loss and Cash Flow and so on are all separate.

Albeit a Buy out is paid in one hit?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

I agree.

Sure but the rules were far weaker then. I see no reason they would be let off if they broke it to 2022 or 2023..2024 we don't know yet.

Strong doubts actually, I've been challenging their position and querying it on the FFP Thread for a while. A few others too.

They were not let off last time

They cheated their way into the prem which made them £100m plus

and got a massive £4m fine That learnt um

Just now, ZiderMeUp said:

How many in prem and champ do? 

Is increasingly rare but Preston maybe at times, Coventry can switch between that and a back 4.

The point is though that from April 2023 Conway predominantly played in a one so I dunno quite what that has to do with it..in Spring 2023, 3 Goals none of them Penalties as the sole striker in the 4-3-3ish, these came in 8 Games.

44 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Albeit a Buy out is paid in one hit?

Yeah that’s right. A buy out is just that, for £65m today he’s yours. That’s why they’re actually very attractive for a club and they are willing to put them into a contract. It’s not based on ‘value’ to a club, it is ‘a payment of’ 

which is actually quite lucrative. A savvy investor can then say I don’t have to fund this club I can go and get a pretty safe 4-5% return on that money I’m not putting in. Better you would hope as an ultra net worth. 

and then add in the consideration that should bmouth get relegated this year that cash inflow in one lump sum might fund a relegation as well as a fight to get back in, you could sleep relatively well tonight. 

so actually £65m to an investor is worth quite a lot more. So I expect at board room level they’re quite excited. They held firm, they didn’t negotiate. Tottenham appear to pay the minimum, but are really paying top dollar 

Edited by 38MC

Just now, Davefevs said:

Conway has spoken to Carrick.

Its quite possible that he hasn’t been allowed to speak with other clubs (officially) yet.

I'm not understanding here Dave.

Are you suggesting that TC may have spoken to Carrick sans permission, informal talks or that it was back channel Agent to Agent?

17 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Just hurry up conway and **** off for god sake.

He’d have gone a fortnight ago if we had accepted Boro’s offer of how the £5m was structured.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, BCFC31 said:

From my understanding city will need to accept any bid before conway can sit down and speak to the bidding club.

Kesler's output would suggest otherwise but yes.

Wonder if it indirectly Agent 1 and Agent 2.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/24510578.tommy-conway-leaning-towards-middlesbrough-carrick-talks/

3 minutes ago, Robbie_Turner said:

If he goes to Hull after watching them today it must just be money related. As for their exec talking about our player, very professional. Not.

Yes that's a good point, talking another club's player should be an absolute no.

In fairness I would also say, he could become the main man at Hull whereas Middlesbrough he has Latte-Lath who is their main man and maybe but less so, Forss to compete with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robbie_Turner said:

If he goes to Hull after watching them today it must just be money related. As for their exec talking about our player, very professional. Not.

Hull were dreadful today I thought 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm not understanding here Dave.

Are you suggesting that TC may have spoken to Carrick sans permission, informal talks or that it was back channel Agent to Agent?

No, I’m saying exactly the opposite, he’s complying with the rules, only speaking to Boro with City’s permission.

One reason why this is dragging on.

But also why Boro’s Vice Chairman can say what he’s saying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

No, I’m saying exactly the opposite, he’s complying with the rules, only speaking to Boro with City’s permission.

One reason why this is dragging on.

But also why Boro’s Vice Chairman can say what he’s saying.

Thanks Dave.

Ah I see..we've granted permission to talk but still debating on fee?

Hull Vice Chairman actually.

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

IF he is talking without Permission, I'm not thinking rationally but I would be more amenable to the U21 for a Season if he is.

Or sacked/suspended but Registration held.

I'm probably misunderstanding the point though.

You are….but I didn’t word it very well either.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah I see..we've granted permission to talk but still debating on fee?

I didn’t make any mention of that.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

No you didn't, that bit was my guesswork..

If we've granted permission to talk..

Right, gonna word it better, second time, apologies all.

Boro have been granted permission to talk to Conway, and Conway has now talked to Carrick (and Boro).

I have no idea of the situation of any other clubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Boro have been granted permission to talk to Conway, and Conway has now talked to Carrick (and Boro).

I think we were, how do we say…..slow….by accident….to speed any conversations with Hull, for some obvious (or not) reasons. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think we were, how do we say…..slow….by accident….to speed any conversations with Hull, for some obvious (or not) reasons. 

Think Hull are only interested to a certain degree as well, he's not really the type of striker they're looking for. Other teams interest could put them off. 

20 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Probably worried that Hull would get a penalty….😳

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Which would suggest we have now agreed a fee/structure with boro

Edited by BCFC31

17 minutes ago, James54De said:

Not quite. Transfers are no longer done in the strict structure of bygone days. 

Exactly, the wages these players earn are astronomical compared to bygone days. A club needs to know what they have to pay in wages and employment costs before they can really know what they can afford to pay in transfer fee 

Annual Cost is..e.g. 

£4m Fee

£18k per week say

4 year Deal

Annual Cost for FFP..£1.936m

Agents Fees are Capitalised and Amortised over the Term of the Contract.

Cash Flow and Instalments are irrelevant from this angle.

You also see Interest Payable and or Receivable linked to Transfer Fees, not looked into this angle so much.

Signing on Fees I forget. Mbappe's Signing on Bonus was huge, but they frontloaded it into one year and got let off pitifully on FFP given the size of the breach.

4 minutes ago, JackMarch said:

Think it’s so weird to want to leave your boyhood club for a sideways move? Terrible state footy is in if that’s players preference these days

Sideways move, can you expand?

I make Middlesbrough absolutely more likely than us to get into the Top 6.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sorry in my head if it’s not pretty much nailed on top 6 then I find it so odd to leave your club for another! Personally I wouldn’t leave my club for one a tad more likely to get top 6.

If it was me even if another club was guaranteed top 6 I still wouldn’t leave if I was a true supporter but I suppose that’s the state of footy these days.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, JackMarch said:

Sorry in my head if it’s not pretty much nailed on top 6 then I find it so odd to leave your club for another! Personally I wouldn’t leave my club for one a tad more likely to get top 6.

If it was me even if another club was guaranteed top 6 I still wouldn’t leave if I was a true supporter but I suppose that’s the state of footy these days.

I take your point yeah. I think they have a strong chance for a range of reasons but only a handful seem extremely likely.

It's a great shame. Sometimes it is needed for FFP (Semenyo most notably) but that aside money, status etc. There clearly is no coming back for Conway here..extremely unlikely but if he was here post August 30th by some weird quirk of fate it would become rather difficult for all concerned.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I take your point yeah. I think they have a strong chance for a range of reasons but only a handful seem extremely likely.

It's a great shame. Sometimes it is needed for FFP (Semenyo most notably) but that aside money, status etc. There clearly is no coming back for Conway here..extremely unlikely but if he was here post August 30th by some weird quirk of fate it would become rather difficult for all concerned.

Yeah I agree I can’t see him coming back from this. It would definitely be difficult if he was here post transfer window as he obviously wouldn’t sign a contract now. Such a great shame for a player who’s been here since he was a kid. 

I’m gutted I can’t have a season ticket/go to many games this season because I’m getting married (why do weddings have to be so expensive?) if I had the chance to play for my club I’d sign a lifetime contract, let alone leave for Boro!

• Robin 2

43 minutes ago, JackMarch said:

Working for Carrick has some appeal, Boro recently in PL too.  They may not be a sure thing for promotion but they are more likely than us.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JackMarch said:

Or he wants to play for a team he believes gives him the best chance of displaying his talents, we certainly saw last season Manning’s style didn’t allow him to 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JackMarch said:

Yeah I agree I can’t see him coming back from this. It would definitely be difficult if he was here post transfer window as he obviously wouldn’t sign a contract now. Such a great shame for a player who’s been here since he was a kid. 

I’m gutted I can’t have a season ticket/go to many games this season because I’m getting married (why do weddings have to be so expensive?) if I had the chance to play for my club I’d sign a lifetime contract, let alone leave for Boro!

They do not need to be expensive. Registry office and no honeymoon was good enough for me and I bought first house instead. That lasted 29 very happy years until she died. We had plenty of good holidays with son that were much better than a piss up one that costs so much.

• Like 6
  • Robin 2

7 hours ago, JackMarch said:

Your club won’t pay your mortgage after you retire. If you were offered the opportunity to probably double your money, with the potential of further windfalls should you do the business, you’d be off. 

8 hours ago, JackMarch said:

Think it’s so weird to want to leave your boyhood club for a sideways move? Terrible state footy is in if that’s players preference these days

Its a sad state of affairs when all our best youngsters want to jump ship as soon as they can. They probably know that we are just a stepping stone club these days and dont have the ambition to keep our best youngsters to progrss

Also the club dont seem to want to hold onto our best talent and progress as a club, as soon as a player is worth money we flog them off for a great profit

Yes the club will survive this way but never get anywhere further than we are currently with this board in place

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Your club won’t pay your mortgage after you retire. If you were offered the opportunity to probably double your money, with the potential of further windfalls should you do the business, you’d be off. 

There's no way Boro are offering him double of what we were offering

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JackMarch said:

It's an interesting point and one that may be worth its own thread.

As fans, we know that we wouldn't jump clubs based on a financial incentive (and one that we never face anyway so the point is kind of moot - a million quid a season to watch and cheer on Rovers...). However, if this was truly on offer, when we drill down into it, would we take it? 

I don't get the vitriol towards Conway.  He's a young lad with a finite career in front of him.  We've offered him a contract, the details of which we don't know admittedly.  But, if other clubs ra offering him something better, can we blame him for being tempted?

The fact that these clubs are at the arse end of the country...although to be fair, one of my happy places is the North York Moors.

Now if Middlesborough offered me a million quid a year to support them, it's only 30 miles from their ground to Rosedale...about the same from Caldicot to the City ground...

Can understand why he would want to leave us for boro. But it's sad that boro are a more attractive option than us especially for a local lad who has beenwith us since the age of 7. The reason lies at the door of SL & boro being more successful and ambitious than us over a number of years despite us having an owner who is 3 times wealthier than theirs. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

It won’t be, but I also wouldn’t bet against it being substantially more still. 

I think too many are looking at this with red tinted glasses on. 

They’ll have a better chance of promotion, higher average crowds, bigger club, more money, and who knows, for someone of his age Carrick may be someone who was someone he idolised watching play. 

Still certainly not what he would’ve dreamed of, but it’s not a sideways step by any means. Just hope it’s sorted asap. 

• Like 13
  • Flames 1

Just a slight diversion relating to this long drawn out sorry saga: LM has had his detractors re Tommy training with the u21s etc. This would appear almost like kid glove treatment compared to Chelsea where by all accounts the likes of Broja, Chalobah, Gallagher and Lukaku. who they want shot of, are training with the developed squad, banished from first team meetings/facilities/meals etc.  These are players under contract who barring Lukaku have not sought to move. A tad cold to be fair particularly when Chalobah was regularly in the first team match day squad last season and Gallagher needs no introduction. These  players may earn big bucks but they still get shuffled, dealt and discarded all the same when it suits!

Edited by Andrew Horsman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

I would think its at least double, possibly treble.

He won't be on anywhere near what the established pros are on, probably under half I would think. Signing the offered contract with City would probably have put him closer to the likes of Williams, Vyner etc, but I don't think he would have been offered more than the established pros.

I don't think its about money anyway.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I would think its at least double, possibly treble.

He won't be on anywhere near what the established pros are on, probably under half I would think. Signing the offered contract with City would probably have put him closer to the likes of Williams, Vyner etc, but I don't think he would have been offered more than the established pros.

I don't think its about money anyway.

There is no way that Boro are offering him treble what we are. Zero chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Depends which contract offer you’re referring to! 😉😉😉

The first one, the reneged one or the fantastic one?

• Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There more likely to finish above us I agree but I don't think there likely in general to finish in the top 6.

Edited by BCFC31

1 minute ago, Saborios Socks said:

Well consider he has been made an “excellent” offer, let’s say 10k per week, there is zero chance Middlesbrough would offer 30k per week, let alone Conway.

I was talking about his existing contract.

Boro (or City) could double or potentially treble it easily.

Just now, BCFC31 said:

There more likely to finish above us I agree but I don't there there likely in general to finish in the top 6.

Agree, they might be a step up from us, but  theres not a lot in it, not enough to want to leave your boyhood club for and move to the other end if the country, in my view?!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

Agree, they might be a step up from us, but  theres not a lot in it, not enough to want to leave your boyhood club for and move to the other end if the country, in my view?!

i think it is enough if you have been pissed right off where you are.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I was talking about his existing contract.

Boro (or City) could double or potentially treble it easily.

He’s on relative peanuts at the mo’, allegedly.  Would imagine Boro are talking 5x / 6x his current contract!

Just now, redsquirrel said:

i think it is enough if you have been pissed right off where you are.

This ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Seems to be more on a point of principle.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Really ?

OK.

You can't think boro are offering conway triple or even double the amount we presented him with the contract offer surely 😂 they would go bust operating like that they don't have parachute payments they have probably offered 2 or 3k more at the very max

People talk about Tommy leaving the club that brought him up and forget about ambition. Max Bird was at Derby from 10 years old but left to join us. Yes we were temporarily in a higher division but Derby were likely to bounce back and are a far bigger club than us. Spending those years in a closeted Academy environment seeing talented players and friends move on to greater things leaves young players eager to move up the ladder. Ambition is a prerequisite of talented players and sadly with our history that rules us out of keeping talented players for long. For any player wanting a bang average career then undoubtedly we are a good fit but otherwise we can only be a stepping stone.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4