IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s on relative peanuts at the mo’, allegedly.  Would imagine Boro are talking 5x / 6x his current contract!

This ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Seems to be more on a point of principle.

In comparison to the established pros, peanuts would describe it well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAWS said:

Can understand why he would want to leave us for boro. But it's sad that boro are a more attractive option than us especially for a local lad who has beenwith us since the age of 7. The reason lies at the door of SL & boro being more successful and ambitious than us over a number of years despite us having an owner who is 3 times wealthier than theirs. 

Gibson joined Middlesbrough many years before SL joined us. He managed to get infrssdduee in place many years before- Riverside opened in 1996 maybe? Juminho and Bryan Robson mid 1990s, no FFP then.

Think Middlesbrough had only spent a couple or handful of years beneath the top 2 divisions too mid 1980s or so..That said they very nearly went to the wall then..

Why we didn't make a bigger push in January 2008 Idk pre FFP etc. Wonder how much extra income to reinvest the failed Ashton Vale venture cost.

54 minutes ago, Andrew Horsman said:

Just a slight diversion relating to this long drawn out sorry saga: LM has had his detractors re Tommy training with the u21s etc. This would appear almost like kid glove treatment compared to Chelsea where by all accounts the likes of Broja, Chalobah, Gallagher and Lukaku. who they want shot of, are training with the developed squad, banished from first team meetings/facilities/meals etc.  These are players under contract who barring Lukaku have not sought to move. A tad cold to be fair particularly when Chalobah was regularly in the first team match day squad last season and Gallagher needs no introduction. These  players may earn big bucks but they still get shuffled, dealt and discarded all the same when it suits!

I've read that Chalobah was made to train wirh the U21s, what is the substantial difference here? Have Chelsea gone above and beyond, is that the only similarity?

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've read that Chalobah was made to train wirh the U21s, what is the substantial difference here? Have Chelsea gone above and beyond, is that the only similarity?

He hasn’t refused to sign a contract or agitated for a move

33 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I was talking about his existing contract.

Boro (or City) could double or potentially treble it easily.

You may have been talking about about existing contract, but the poster clearly wasn’t. 

⬇️

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

There's no way Boro are offering him double of what we were offering

4 minutes ago, Andrew Horsman said:

He hasn’t refused to sign a contract or agitated for a move

Not signing a new deal and agitating for a move do differ. Chelsea are trying to do it with certain Youth Players especially albeit Gallager wasn't mostly for signing a new deal..Maresca moaned about FFP Rules pertaining to it as well.

Unless you know more, TC has refused he to sign a new deal yes but did he also refuse to play for us this season? Two don't have to be interlinked..albeit we clearly and understandably want to recoup as good a fee as possible if it is the case.

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s on relative peanuts at the mo’, allegedly.  Would imagine Boro are talking 5x / 6x his current contract!

This ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Seems to be more on a point of principle.

In fairness, he’s only on relative peanuts at the moment because he’s chosen not to sign a new contract that’s been on the table for some time. If he’d gone for that then presumably he’d be on a lot more - whether that’s 5x though I’ve no idea. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

In fairness, he’s only on relative peanuts at the moment because he’s chosen not to sign a new contract that’s been on the table for some time. If he’d gone for that then presumably he’d be on a lot more - whether that’s 5x though I’ve no idea. 

True. But poo-poohs on those who say he’s greedy, doesn’t it?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not signing a new deal and agitating for a move do differ. Chelsea are trying to do it with certain Youth Players especially albeit Gallager wasn't mostly for signing a new deal..Maresca moaned about FFP Rules pertaining to it as well.

Unless you know more, TC has refused he to sign a new deal yes but did he also refuse to play for us this season? Two don't have to be interlinked..albeit we clearly and understandably want to recoup as good a fee as possible if it is the case.

With respect I wasn’t commenting specifically about Tommy’s situation rather the reaction to LM marginalising him. I am not in the know about anything.  I  am just commenting on what has happened to players at another club who have in my opinion been treated in a similar fashion whose circumstances are different to Tommy’s. 

Edited by Andrew Horsman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JackMarch said:

Think it’s so weird to want to leave your boyhood club for a sideways move? Terrible state footy is in if that’s players preference these days

Money talks no doubt

11 hours ago, JackMarch said:

Think it’s so weird to want to leave your boyhood club for a sideways move? Terrible state footy is in if that’s players preference these days

Let's be honest no disrespect to borough but it's not the best place to live in the UK. Good luck to him if he moves will best best for all now.

8 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

Let's be honest no disrespect to borough but it's not the best place to live in the UK. Good luck to him if he moves will best best for all now.

No, but as has been pointed out many times, you have a footballers salary, you can live pretty much anywhere in the vicinity.

Coulby Newham for example

Redcar is a nice area about 10-15 miles away 

He could even live on the sea if that's his taste.

Saltburn

He's unlikely to be above the chippy in the high street anyway.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Trying to post a print screen but not letting me…..in short Ian has tweeted Romano’s post to say nothing agreed on Conway as far as aware. 

Forum running like a dog this morning for me. Copy and paste not working too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s an ITK off!

I'm sure city have given TC permission to speak to Boro whilst they negotiate a transfer fee. I think a certain Tecknical Director needs to fill Ian in on the mechanics of a transfer. There's more than one moving part Bristol Boy. No doubt Ciry will agree a deal with Hull, and Tommy one with Boro.

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

In fairness, Fab doesn’t say anything about anything being agreed, does he?

"Advanced talks" would indicate permission to speak IMO.

Whereas nothing Agreed..open to interpretation but could even cover permission to speak, let alone anything else.

49 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

It's not....but if you've ever driven there, 5 minutes before the ghastly landscape of Middlesbrough comes into view you're in some of the most stunning places and scenery up in the North Yorkshire moors. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

In fairness, Fab doesn’t say anything about anything being agreed, does he?

I believe City have at least agreed a fee / deal with Boro. I don’t know whether they’ve agreed anything with anyone else. I know of one other club in conversations who said City were taking the piss!

No idea what the timeline will be though.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I believe City have at least agreed a fee / deal with Boro. I don’t know whether they’ve agreed anything with anyone else. I know of one other club in conversations who said City were taking the piss!

I think we are stalling things for a certain club to come in to help us in bringing in another certain you know who 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

The Hull vice Chairman apparently said Leeds and Sheffield (assume United) were in for Tommy too but he’s leaning towards Boro. Northernecho report. 

I'm intrigued at that.

Talking publicly about Third Party (Club) interest by another Club in respect of a Player owned by another Club! Yes I know Hull had/have an interest too but it's different for sure..I wonder if it breaches anything.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

12 hours ago, JackMarch said:

It’s because initially he mistakenly thought he was good enough to move to a team like Bournemouth (like Kelly, Semenyo and Scott) but then when there was absolutely no interest in him from the Premier League he’s got to move to Middlesbrough with the bridges already burnt here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Tommy agreed personal terms nearly 2 weeks ago so agreeing a fee must be the final part 👀

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

They do not need to be expensive. Registry office and no honeymoon was good enough for me and I bought first house instead. That lasted 29 very happy years until she died. We had plenty of good holidays with son that were much better than a piss up one that costs so much.

Wise men say, only fools fork out a fortune on a wedding nowadays. For those that can't help it, keep the Marriage Guidance coming @cidered abroad 

4 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Tommy agreed personal terms nearly 2 weeks ago so agreeing a fee must be the final part 👀

Heard slightly different to that Shuffs.  But with all these things there is a level of detail missing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

True. But poo-poohs on those who say he’s greedy, doesn’t it?

Quite possibly, yes! 

To be honest, whether it's Fammy, HNM, Kasey P or TC - the one thing that strikes me is the sheer number of pages dedicated to guesswork and assumptions (and often contradictions) around players seeing out contracts, falling out with managers, being greedy or looking after themselves, being 'sidelined' or not, etc etc etc!

I doubt many/any of us know the truth and there's no doubt several versions of the truth anyway! The only thing I'm pretty confident of is that 99% of the stuff posted on here is pure assumption/guesswork!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

They do not need to be expensive. Registry office and no honeymoon was good enough for me and I bought first house instead. That lasted 29 very happy years until she died. We had plenty of good holidays with son that were much better than a piss up one that costs so much.

We had fish & chip lunch, and a couple of beers at the Sceptre pub on Baldwin St, with a few close family, went round to the registry office for 14.20 ceremony, back to her sisters for tea and cake. We both went to work the next day. Bought our first house a few months later. That was 1980, still going strong, 2 grand kids!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

We had fish & chip lunch, and a couple of beers at the Sceptre pub on Baldwin St, with a few close family, went round to the registry office for 14.20 ceremony, back to her sisters for tea and cake. We both went to work the next day. Bought our first house a few months later. That was 1980, still going strong, 2 grand kids!

Yes, we got married at WSM registry office, had a small reception near where her parents lived in Keynsham and then went to the Isle of Wight for 4 days...... in November!

I promised that I would make it up to her and 20 years later we went to Bermuda, 25 years later we went on a road trip down the west coast of the states. We are still married and looking forward to our 38th wedding anniversary this year.

I always said to her that whatever else came between us, I would never argue about money, if we didn't have it we couldn't spend it, or we would wait until we did. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think we are stalling things for a certain club to come in to help us in bringing in another certain you know who 

What another Japanese player ?

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can't see him being PL ready yet 

Neither but Fabrizo did say he’s got prem interest. 

Seeing as Bournemouth just lost Solanke they are in serious need of strikers. 

Could see them going for a big one with the fee they recieved for solanke and be looking at someone like tommy for a backup. 

Edited by George Rs

1 minute ago, George Rs said:

Neither but Fabrizo did say he’s got prem interest. 

Seeing as Bournemouth just lost Solanke and didn’t make Unal permanent they are in serious need of strikers. 

Could see them going for a big one with the fee they recieved for solanke and be looking at someone like tommy for a backup. 

They did make Unal permanent I think.

I was surprised at their expenditure for some time but Solanke going helps with all that.

Semenyo, Kluivert, Unal..They could do wirh at least one more probably given that Semenyo can also go as a wider forward.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They did make Unal permanent I think.

I was surprised at their expenditure for some time but Solanke going helps with all that.

Semenyo, Kluivert, Unal..They could do wirh at least one more probably given that Semenyo can also go as a wider forward.

Yeah they did make him permanent my bad, I still see them bringing two in though. 

Unal didn’t shine last year and the only other striker they have is Jebbison who desperately needs a championship loan imo. 

And seeing as Tommy won’t cost them even 8 figures it makes some sense, but maybe i’m reaching. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

It’s because initially he mistakenly thought he was good enough to move to a team like Bournemouth (like Kelly, Semenyo and Scott) but then when there was absolutely no interest in him from the Premier League he’s got to move to Middlesbrough with the bridges already burnt here

Yes agree, think he thought he better than he is, and going to get a choice of prem clubs after him, surely he must be disappointed in the teams showing an interest,  needed another good season at City.

11 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

well ian if it has not been agreed then it should be. whoever is dealing with it needs to get a grip. it's dragging on and it appears to be stopping liam doing what he wants to do. 

Might be a bit more complicated or time consuming if other clubs are making enquiries now the prospective fee is out there.

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If the deal is agreed, you would expect things to move pretty quickly, especially if what the Hull CEO said post-game yesterday is true….

Unless of course, we are still hoping to do a certain swap deal…… 👀 

What we can’t afford to do is delay too much as there’s always a risk that Boro then look elsewhere.

Get the deal done so that everyone can move on…..

1 minute ago, Big Cheese said:

Yes agree, think he thought he better than he is, and going to get a choice of prem clubs after him, surely he must be disappointed in the teams showing an interest,  needed another good season at City.

I wouldn't completely write off premier league interest.

Boro look to be in the driving seat at this moment and possibly finalised next week, but one phone call can change that ala Joe Bryan.

4 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Yeah they did make him permanent my bad, I still see them bringing two in though. 

Unal didn’t shine last year and the only other striker they have is Jebbison who desperately needs a championship loan imo. 

And seeing as Tommy won’t cost them even 8 figures it makes some sense, but maybe i’m reaching. 

If Conway isn't PL ready, Jebbison absolutely isn't.

One established striker plus Conway could be a useful strategy all told.

In the highly unlikely event we got say £8-10m for Conway from Bournemouth say (talking hypothetically dream scenario fee wise), I'd hope we then pay the cash for Twine and make a play for e.g. Stansfield.

I'm dreaming of course. 

33 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Just don’t want Bournemouth coming in for him, don’t think I could take scott semenyo and tommy all lining up together in the prem. 

Well after netting 65 million for Solanke they might well take a gamble on Tommy for 5 million ? 

IMG_5920.png

9 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Well after netting 65 million for Solanke they might well take a gamble on Tommy for 5 million ? 

IMG_5920.png

Albeit 20% of the Solanke Profit goes to Liverpool reportedly and dunno whether there is any remaining Solanke Book Value.

They can certainly reinvest a chunk though.

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If Conway isn't PL ready, Jebbison absolutely isn't.

One established striker plus Conway could be a useful strategy all told.

In the highly unlikely event we got say £8-10m for Conway from Bournemouth say (talking hypothetically dream scenario fee wise), I'd hope we then pay the cash for Twine and make a play for e.g. Stansfield.

I'm dreaming of course. 

Why bid £8-10m when you can bid £3m?

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm in slight dream world with my scenario but TC is surely worth a bit more than £3m?

Not according to those currently bidding which they will know we are close to accepting. If they want to blow clubs out of the water they can just bid £4m +clauses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm in slight dream world with my scenario but TC is surely worth a bit more than £3m?

He was.

He isn’t anymore.

Why do you think the stories are talking about £5m “deals”, not fees and phrases like “heavily weighted towards add-ons”?  Because his value reflects the situation.

FWIW someone asked me the other week what I thought he would sell for this window.  I said £3m.  Sounds like it’s in the right ballpark.

I do fear that City are gonna receive a low(er) offer than Boro from a PL or big club that Tommy really fancies going to.  That might make things really awkward.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Not according to those currently bidding which they will know we are close to accepting. If they want to blow clubs out of the water they can just bid £4m +clauses.

Or bid the same, even a bit lower, and blow other clubs out of the water with wages…where Tommy is the beneficiary.

• Like 2

Just now, Davefevs said:

He was.

He isn’t anymore.

Why do you think the stories are talking about £5m “deals”, not fees and phrases like “heavily weighted towards add-ons”?  Because his value reflects the situation.

FWIW someone asked me the other week what I thought he would sell for this window.  I said £3m.  Sounds like it’s in the right ballpark.

I do fear that City are gonna receive a low(er) offer than Boro from a PL or big club that Tommy really fancies going to.  That might make things really awkward.

That would make matters very difficult yeah! PL or Parachute club, lower bid..hmm.

Do you think the U21s move has hindered his valuation or more accurately by what %?

I'm on the fence about it..I'm not instinctively a fan of sticking players in the U21 or similar but Conway could face at the very minimum until January 1st in the U21s if nothing agreed by 11pm 30th August. That is our leverage- we need to stick to it come what may.

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He’s worth much more but his value doesn’t reflect that. Because of his contract and the situation the club have put themselves in. 

Personally think he’s worth higher 7 figures but did also think he won’t sell for anything more than 5. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He was.

He isn’t anymore.

No, bollocks to that, sure little Tommy might love a prem move , but we hold his registration.........he's in the stiffs, how could it make it any more awkward for us   ?  we owe him nothing .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

No, bollocks to that, sure little Tommy might love a prem move , but we hold his registration.........he's in the stiffs, how could it make it any more awkward for us   ?  we owe him nothing .

I think the Club are somewhat to blame for the position but yes it is ultimately up to us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think the Club are somewhat to blame for the position but yes it is ultimately up to us.

How are the club to blame??? Nothing wrong with ambition but to me it looks like TC is completely jumped up.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, B-Rizzle said:

How are the club to blame??? Nothing wrong with ambition but to me it looks like TC is completely jumped up.

I think putting him in the U21s was counterproductive at minimum. Giles is linked with a move from Hull, played yesterday- I appreciate risk/reward but possibly can put a Player in the shop window a bit as clubs go through their A, B and C list targets as August 30th ticks down.

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That would make matters very difficult yeah! PL or Parachute club, lower bid..hmm.

Do you think the U21s move has hindered his valuation or more accurately by what %?

I'm on the fence about it..I'm not instinctively a fan of sticking players in the U21 or similar but Conway could face at the very minimum until January 1st in the U21s if nothing agreed by 11pm 30th August. That is our leverage- we need to stick to it come what may.

Yes, it showed desperation imho.  I can’t put a figure on that.

26 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Hypothetical:

Boro £3m + add-ons

Bournemouth £2m + add-ons

Tommy prefers / wants to go to PL Bournemouth.  Rejects Boro move.

What do we (City) do?  Two options, turn down Bournemouth and Tommy stays with us.  End up accepting Bournemouth to ensure we get some money, albeit £1m less than we’d hoped.  That’s the awkwardness.

It’s not about owing anyone anything.  Not sure why such anger towards him.

+++++

Imho City have spent weeks checking the market, the bidding war hasn’t materialised.  Imho the longer they leave it now the more likely they lose the deal they have.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Plus the stuff earlier in he thread about TC being offered £X per week, then the Celtic move doesn't materialise and that became £Y per week.

That destroys trust if true, would sour everything.

He didnt sign for x or y, and its been on the table for at least a year. 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, it showed desperation imho.  I can’t put a figure on that.

Hypothetical:

Boro £3m + add-ons

Bournemouth £2m + add-ons

Tommy prefers / wants to go to PL Bournemouth.  Rejects Boro move.

What do we (City) do?  Two options, turn down Bournemouth and Tommy stays with us.  End up accepting Bournemouth to ensure we get some money, albeit £1m less than we’d hoped.  That’s the awkwardness.

It’s not about owing anyone anything.  Not sure why such anger towards him.

+++++

Imho City have spent weeks checking the market, the bidding war hasn’t materialised.  Imho the longer they leave it now the more likely they lose the deal they have.

What anger has there been Dave? Is it on X? Haven't seen much anger on OTIB?