IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

He didnt sign for x or y, and its been on the table for at least a year. 

Could he have signed has the Goalposts seemingly not been moved? Possibly. We'll never know but had they gone back in with the initial offer might he have signed?

Then again had we offered 3+1..the 1 being in the club's favour back in 2022, which could be activated at any time this may all be moot.

Could we have offered Scott a +1 on his deal too.

5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

He didnt sign for x or y, and its been on the table for at least a year. 

If the rumours are true, following the Celtic move not materialising, he would have signed what was on offer, only to see that contract offer ripped up and him then being offered a lower amount. Not smart from City in terms of protecting their asset.

It has gone on way too long now……best for all concerned to accept the Boro offer and move on…..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s not about owing anyone anything.  Not sure why such anger towards him.

Odd isn't it to be angry with someone exercising their right to turn down a contract? Would that apply to any other walk of life?

But perhaps those who are angry would turn down the chance of a better job out of loyalty to their current employer. Or not as the case may be.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, it showed desperation imho.  I can’t put a figure on that.

Hypothetical:

Boro £3m + add-ons

Bournemouth £2m + add-ons

Tommy prefers / wants to go to PL Bournemouth.  Rejects Boro move.

What do we (City) do?  Two options, turn down Bournemouth and Tommy stays with us.  End up accepting Bournemouth to ensure we get some money, albeit £1m less than we’d hoped.  That’s the awkwardness.

It’s not about owing anyone anything.  Not sure why such anger towards him.

+++++

Imho City have spent weeks checking the market, the bidding war hasn’t materialised.  Imho the longer they leave it now the more likely they lose the deal they have.

Re your hypothetical Dave, City would clearly reject the lower offer, and then Tommy has a decision to make whether to lose a crucial season in his career, or join a different club at which point Bournemouth offer the 3m.

Edit: or my loan scenario 🤣comes back in play 

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

We should definitely look to learn lessons to offer a +1 at Club discretion wij4 potential future stars where appropriate.

Were that in play Conway would have 2 years left on his deal.

Scott at 4+1..it did the job with Semenyo for one. Think we activated Vyner +1 in order to buy time for a new deal?

There is always more than meets the eye to the majority of us and I’m confident some here know more than they can say. 

For my tuppence I know nothing regarding any bids, but like many I think (all speculation) Tommy and his agent may have been tipped off regarding what was going on vis a vis Solanke and Bournemouth (the Boro deal has been dragging on hasn’t it?)

Tom offers fantastic value and he will be back with his mates (who would be bigging him up) which is obvious!

47 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

There is always more than meets the eye to the majority of us and I’m confident some here know more than they can say. 

For my tuppence I know nothing regarding any bids, but like many I think (all speculation) Tommy and his agent may have been tipped off regarding what was going on vis a vis Solanke and Bournemouth (the Boro deal has been dragging on hasn’t it?)

Tom offers fantastic value and he will be back with his mates (who would be bigging him up) which is obvious!

I just can't see Bournemouth coming in for him..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mozo said:

What anger has there been Dave? Is it on X? Haven't seen much anger on OTIB?

Slarti’s post I replied to.  And to be fair, he’s been called all sorts on here and X.  Maybe not always “anger” (inc Slarti’s post) but not exactly nice either.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Re your hypothetical Dave, City would clearly reject the lower offer, and then Tommy has a decision to make whether to lose a crucial season in his career, or join a different club at which point Bournemouth offer the 3m.

Edit: or my loan scenario 🤣comes back in play 

Maybe you’re right, maybe Bournemouth match.  Maybe they don’t.

Everyone keeps saying “season”…it’s only 4 1/2 months to Jan 1st.  Then a whole host of extra options open for him.

Loan is still an option, granted! 😀

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We should definitely look to learn lessons to offer a +1 at Club discretion wij4 potential future stars where appropriate.

Were that in play Conway would have 2 years left on his deal.

Scott at 4+1..it did the job with Semenyo for one. Think we activated Vyner +1 in order to buy time for a new deal?

Takes two parties to agree though.  Agree we should always try though, to give us some leeway each way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

If the deal is agreed, you would expect things to move pretty quickly, especially if what the Hull CEO said post-game yesterday is true….

Unless of course, we are still hoping to do a certain swap deal…… 👀 

What we can’t afford to do is delay too much as there’s always a risk that Boro then look elsewhere.

Get the deal done so that everyone can move on…..

Even if Tommy has agreed terms with Boro, that doesnt mean he's agreed to join them.

It could be a case of "I find your terms to be acceptable but I wish to consider my options" 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Even if Tommy has agreed terms with Boro, that doesnt mean he's agreed to join them.

It could be a case of "I find your terms to be acceptable but I wish to consider my options" 

Then why agree them ?

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yep, very much a possibility, and again how sometimes misleading football lingo is, ie “agreed”.

6 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

why don’t city go get Mikey Johnstone, Celtic fans complaining he’s not good enough to even be on the bench there! Straight swap for TC

Same agent as Max Bird, Joe Williams & Vyner 

If it was that easy though!

We won't pay the Wages/Fee/Loan Fee(s).

That said I don't disagree.

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

No, but as has been pointed out many times, you have a footballers salary, you can live pretty much anywhere in the vicinity.

Coulby Newham for example

Redcar is a nice area about 10-15 miles away 

He could even live on the sea if that's his taste.

Saltburn

He's unlikely to be above the chippy in the high street anyway.

Stokesley for sure, altho may be a tad boring for a young un

28 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Then why agree them ?

You can agree terms, doesn’t mean a move will happen.

Roy Keane agreed terms with Dalglish to join Blackburn when he left Forest. He would have signed but the office staff had left for the weekend so paperwork couldn't be done. A phone call from Fergie that weekend changed his mind.

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Shame Jamal Lowe isn't still available from B,mouth. He's having a storming debut for Wednesday.

Prior to today;

9 in 35 games for Swansea, 3 in 20 for QPR, 7 in 34 (to be fair, mainly as a sub) for Bournemouth.

He’s also 30.

Let’s see how his season rather than one game (against Plymouth) pans out, eh?

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We won't pay the Wages/Fee/Loan Fee(s).

That said I don't disagree.

Not 100% certain, but few sites online say he’s on 8k a week and reports Celtic are looking for 6 mil ish which we won’t pay, but 2 mil + TC why not!

• Thanks 1

My dark horses for top 6.

Wouldn’t be surprised.   Certainly have them above us. Huge following home and away which always helps with momentum if they get on a bit of a roll as well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Prior to today;

9 in 35 games for Swansea, 3 in 20 for QPR, 7 in 34 (to be fair, mainly as a sub) for Bournemouth.

He’s also 30.

Let’s see how his season rather than one game (against Plymouth) pans out, eh?

Always been a decent striker imo. I'm certainly not judging on one game.

Didn't realise he was 30 though.

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The Rooney Effect!

I actually like listening to him talk about the game, he gets a lot of unfair stick because of his background imho.  But as with a lot of the golden generation (🤢) it seems his skills may have been best left away from the management game.  Shame as he seems to genuinely love it.  Maybe he can turn it around - it’s only 1 game so far but fear for him if he doesn’t.     

Always been a decent striker imo. I'm certainly not judging on one game.

Didn't realise he was 30 though.

Got to admit I have rated him too, but he’s not really been a regular scorer for much of his career.

Always puts a shift in, though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

Certain sides in the Prem and the Bundesliga will be the reason they don't IMO. Danny Rohl won't be there for long.

Yeah he has to be on a fair few radars now doesn’t he.  

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, very much a possibility, and again how sometimes misleading football lingo is, ie “agreed”.

Not on instagram at present so can’t see it but Boro forum says Conway commented on a instagram post from Hayden Hackney , Boro player, yesterday which made them think it’s all but done ? 
Some also think he was at Boro yesterday 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Slarti’s post I replied to.  And to be fair, he’s been called all sorts on here and X.  Maybe not always “anger” (inc Slarti’s post) but not exactly nice either.

Maybe you’re right, maybe Bournemouth match.  Maybe they don’t.

Everyone keeps saying “season”…it’s only 4 1/2 months to Jan 1st.  Then a whole host of extra options open for him.

Loan is still an option, granted! 😀

Takes two parties to agree though.  Agree we should always try though, to give us some leeway each way.

Thanks for the reply mate.

From what I've seen on OTIB the main negative response has been that he thinks he's better than he is. That's not anger, it's just an opinion. I got picked up for saying that 'there's still a lot of hate for Manning'. Hate/anger?? You decide which is accurate and which is exaggerating. 

You're right, Bournemouth might not match, but then both player, club and agent lose out. The one (and only) positive about the exile situation is it means that Conway is forced to find a new club or they all suffer.

Don't take this as me supporting the club's decision. I'm agnostic. I admit I don't know enough detail to be certain about anything. 

Middlesbrough seems like a decent option in the current situation, so I presume that will happen?!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

From what I've seen on OTIB the main negative response has been that he thinks he's better than he is. That's not anger, it's just an opinion. I got picked up for saying that 'there's still a lot of hate for Manning'. Hate/anger?? You decide which is accurate and which is exaggerating. 

You're right, Bournemouth might not match, but then both player, club and agent lose out. The one (and only) positive about the exile situation is it means that Conway is forced to find a new club or they all suffer.

Don't take this as me supporting the club's decision. I'm agnostic. I admit I don't know enough detail to be certain about anything. 

Middlesbrough seems like a decent option in the current situation, so I presume that will happen?!

A lot of the hate for Manning is ridiculous 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

59 minutes ago, lenred said:

I actually like listening to him talk about the game, he gets a lot of unfair stick because of his background imho.  But as with a lot of the golden generation (🤢) it seems his skills may have been best left away from the management game.  Shame as he seems to genuinely love it.  Maybe he can turn it around - it’s only 1 game so far but fear for him if he doesn’t.     

Just listened to his post-match interview…pretty honest.

21 minutes ago, mozo said:

No, the “anger” (maybe wrong word) comes from those who have said derogatory things about him, based on stupid things like seeing him acting a bit of knob on a night out, type stuff.  Lot of jilted bride type comments, ie loved Conway in January, now think he’s shit.

15 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

A lot of the hate for Manning is ridiculous 

Agree.  He’s pretty hard to dislike as a person, speaks well, etc.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, the “anger” (maybe wrong word) comes from those who have said derogatory things about him, based on stupid things like seeing him acting a bit of knob on a night out, type stuff.  Lot of jilted bride type comments, ie loved Conway in January, now think he’s shit.

Got you, yeah I haven't seen much of that, but sounds stupid.

I think the vast majority of us just want the deal done!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But what has changed since he arrived?

Not a lot as we are still unable to score goals when we’re on top and so easy to lose point/s in the last few minutes.

So IMO sod all has changed!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

But what has changed since he arrived?

Not a lot as we are still unable to score goals when we’re on top and so easy to lose point/s in the last few minutes.

So IMO sod all has changed!

I agree with your first point, but I did see greater intensity and huge pressing which made for lots of possession and some dominating periods. Early days, but enjoyed the game.

26 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

Get Conway gone and Twine in this week 🤞

Can see Conway going this week, not sure I can see Twine coming in. I really think the Twine thing will go to deadline day, which will be utterly ridiculous but I can see it happening

3 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

Can see Conway going this week, not sure I can see Twine coming in. I really think the Twine thing will go to deadline day, which will be utterly ridiculous but I can see it happening

Burnley have no reason to budge on price. They don't need to sell so either we pay the money or we don't sign him. Whether that is today, tomorrow, deadline day, next January.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

Burnley have no reason to budge on price. They don't need to sell so either we pay the money or we don't sign him. Whether that is today, tomorrow, deadline day, next January.

Yup. The need is all ours, not a strong bargaining position, along with going public on our no 1 target. Screams of naivety.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

100% I’m on the same page as you if we want him pay the fee they want, if we don’t want to pay the fee move on. What I mean by it being utterly ridiculous is I can see the club getting to deadline day and saying ‘can we have him now?’ To which Burnley will say ‘are you ready to pay our asking price?’ To which we’ll say ‘no’, no deal will be done and we’ll be scrambling round trying to do deals for the back up options we have

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lenred said:

Yes I agree. He’s always an interesting listen! He did a good job at under the most difficult of circumstances at Derby. However I don’t think he’ll get bought to many beers around St Andrew’s. 

7 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

100% I’m on the same page as you if we want him pay the fee they want, if we don’t want to pay the fee move on. What I mean by it being utterly ridiculous is I can see the club getting to deadline day and saying ‘can we have him now?’ To which Burnley will say ‘are you ready to pay our asking price?’ To which we’ll say ‘no’, no deal will be done and we’ll be scrambling round trying to do deals for the back up options we have

Not to mention Manning didn’t seem to positive when he said something along the lines of nothing close to happening and we’ll just have to wait and see what happens, not exactly the proactive approach I’m sure we as fans or him as head coach would like to see Brian and the recruitment team take ‘let’s just see what happens’ again ridiculous 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I agree with your first point, but I did see greater intensity and huge pressing which made for lots of possession and some dominating periods. Early days, but enjoyed the game.

I think the way Hull played enabled us to see a greater intensity in the pressing.  

I noticed a few times it was them that triggered our press by trying to lay traps. 

I don't think yesterday's game was a good game to draw any conclusions from due to the way Hull play. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Yup. The need is all ours, not a strong bargaining position, along with going public on our no 1 target. Screams of naivety.

You best me to it I see, though I chose incompetent rather than naive!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Unless it's a swap deal the two deals are completely unrelated. 

We don't need to sell Conway in order to buy Twine. 

In which case we pay Burnley's price as has always been the case. The only chance of the Twine fee coming down a little more than likely is Conway's involvement if Burnley are interested. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Unless it's a swap deal the two deals are completely unrelated. 

We don't need to sell Conway in order to buy Twine. 

I think the opposite. I don’t think SL will sanction the twine deal until Conway is out the door. 

what football earns football can spend wasn’t  it ???? Although that obviously didn’t apply to poor old nige .

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

In which case we pay Burnley's price as has always been the case. The only chance of the Twine fee coming down a little more than likely is Conway's involvement if Burnley are interested. 

The way I see it is that Burnley are quite content to keep him. He may well be in their starting 11 2moro. 

So for them to want to sell him it would have to be a good deal for them. Which is more than what he is worth. 

They have named their price. 

They also know we have named him as our no 1 target publicly. 

They also know we have made a number of bids over two transfer windows. 

They also know we sold a player for 25 million last summer. 

They also know we are about to sell Conway. 

They have absolutely zero reason or need to reduce their price. 

We either pay want they want or we don't. It's bizarre that we are still hoping Burnley do budge on their price. 

Scott Twine is not worth what Burnley want and he is not worth waiting for either. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

Not to mention Manning didn’t seem to positive when he said something along the lines of nothing close to happening and we’ll just have to wait and see what happens, not exactly the proactive approach I’m sure we as fans or him as head coach would like to see Brian and the recruitment team take ‘let’s just see what happens’ again ridiculous 

Ian said on X that we won’t pay more than we want to for Twine. 

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

The way I see it is that Burnley are quite content to keep him. He may well be in their starting 11 2moro. 

So for them to want to sell him it would have to be a good deal for them. Which is more than what he is worth. 

They have named their price. 

They also know we have named him as our no 1 target publicly. 

They also know we have made a number of bids over two transfer windows. 

They also know we sold a player for 25 million last summer. 

They also know we are about to sell Conway. 

They have absolutely zero reason or need to reduce their price. 

We either pay want they want or we don't. It's bizarre that we are still hoping Burnley do budge on their price. 

Scott Twine is not worth what Burnley want and he is not worth waiting for either. 

Absolutely right. Until January when his value plummets.

15 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

I think the opposite. I don’t think SL will sanction the twine deal until Conway is out the door. 

what football earns football can spend wasn’t  it ???? Although that obviously didn’t apply to poor old nige .

We don't need to sell to buy. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Ian said on X that we won’t pay more than we want to for Twine. 

So we are waiting for them to roll over, again ridiculous because Burnley don’t need to sell. I do worry we’ll still be talking about this on August 30th

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Why will his value plummet in Jan?

As the post referred to Twine - It won’t and it doesn’t. Hes got two years left on his Burnley deal. Value possibly reduces more next summer, which is why on any loan deal now if that’s on the table we will either pay a large loan fee or have a big obligation to buy fee.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

So we are waiting for them to roll over, again ridiculous because Burnley don’t need to sell. I do worry we’ll still be talking about this on August 30th

Agree with you - think this is going down to the wire.

Listening to Manning after the game yesterday, nothing is close……you’ve just hope we haven’t put all our eggs (no comments about the nest type 😂) into one basket…….after all, Liam said a couple of weeks ago that it was important not for us to do so……

3 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Agree with you - think this is going down to the wire.

Listening to Manning after the game yesterday, nothing is close……you’ve just hope we haven’t put all our eggs (no comments about the nest type 😂) into one basket…….after all, Liam said a couple of weeks ago that it was important not for us to do so……

I think he’s the player Manning wants (which is his right as head coach to request a player), the club clearly don’t want to pay what it takes, the club probably know Burnley won’t roll over but they can keep telling Manning they are trying, Deadline day will come and we’ll have no choice but pivot to a new target, Tinnion can then say to Manning they did all they could to get Twine, but they haven’t done all they can have they if they haven’t upped our offer for ages and just expected them to roll over at some point. That to me is not doing all you can to secure your head coaches top target. 

12 minutes ago, mozo said:

Absolutely right. Until January when his value plummets.

But if Twine is involved in the Burnley team in a promotion push then they will have no reason to sell then either. 

Twine isn't worth waiting another week for, let alone until January or next summer. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As the post referred to Twine - It won’t and it doesn’t. Hes got two years left on his Burnley deal. Value possibly reduces more next summer, which is why on any loan deal now if that’s on the table we will either pay a large loan fee or have a big obligation to buy fee.

You don't think when that January window closes, Burnley are left with a serious value depreciation of their asset?

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

You don't think when that January window closes, Burnley are left with a serious value depreciation of their asset?

No.  He’s sat at £2m on their books at the mo.  In January he’s sat at £1.5m…and they still have a whole summer to sell him, when his book value will be just £1m.  We’ll still probably be interested!  His value will be determined by lots of things.  Who knows, he might be doing well for Burnley and they might re-contract him!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We don't need to sell to buy. 

Not in terms of ffp or any other rule book but I’m convinced SL is trying to reduce the budget from the heady days , pre covid when he ‘went for it’ and dumb and dumber pissed it all down the drain.

• Like 2