IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

5 minutes ago, Paulton Gilly said:

Sorry only passing on the information I was told by my neighbour last night. He knows I'm a City fan and also he take his son to watch city few times a season, so has an interest as such, this is properly how the conversation developed.

His Grandad was just making the point that he and the 'family' didn't think it was right for him to be leaving.

I think it is quite obvious why Tommy is leaving................thought he would get the great payday move to the Premier League, but that has not developed as planned and is now leaving because he is being VERY badly advised. 

In fairness if that is the case (who knows) why was he happy with SPL last summer?  I think a lot of assumptions have been put out.  Someone else on here did post the other day that he knew he was unlikely to get a PL move this summer, he was realistic about his next move.

• Like 1

Conway has always wanted to go to Boro since their interest & is also realistic to know that he’s not premiership ready now.  He wants to go to top end championship but only after being shafted by the club with a reduced offer.  We are fans and this is his livelihood.  In the same situation, I’m sure that we would all move after being slighted plus the opportunity to earn significantly more. 

If the fee is agreed then he’ll go and good luck to him. 

Edited by Shuffle
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 3

13 minutes ago, Paulton Gilly said:

Sorry only passing on the information I was told by my neighbour last night. He knows I'm a City fan and also he take his son to watch city few times a season, so has an interest as such, this is properly how the conversation developed.

His Grandad was just making the point that he and the 'family' didn't think it was right for him to be leaving.

I think it is quite obvious why Tommy is leaving................thought he would get the great payday move to the Premier League, but that has not developed as planned and is now leaving because he is being VERY badly advised. 

Think it's more to do with the fact we hacked him off by withdrawing our previous contract offer and also him not being the type of striker Manning desires. 

But yea, it's all because he thinks he's better than he is. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In fairness if that is the case (who knows) why was he happy with SPL last summer?  I think a lot of assumptions have been put out.  Someone else on here did post the other day that he knew he was unlikely to get a PL move this summer, he was realistic about his next move.

Indeed - I think that was @Ron W and I’d suggest his sources are probably pretty good.

@Paulton Gilly you may be passing on what you’ve heard, but the providence of it in some eyes (and to be up front, mine) will be lessened by post one giving a very decent wage quote and post two then riffing on the “Tommys not as good as he thinks he is” angle. It’s very much the “TCs the bad guy” narrative just wrapped up in a slightly different package. Not saying it’s not what you’ve been told, but definite holes in it and the angle then being about TC wanting the prem move/poor agent just makes it feel less plausible.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

57 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

So…

Tommy Conways grandad gave Tommys contract offer information to a random bloke he’d started chatting to in the holiday park. Somehow, Tommys grandad knew the contract offer but not why Tommy didn’t want to sign it or why he wanted to leave which would have been the natural next part of the conversation.

Seems legit.

As per Scooby Doo , the only conclusion is is that the old man in the Blue Anchor holiday park is in fact Brian Tinnion wearing a rubber old man facemask, pretending to be Tommy's grandad!

• Haha 9

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

As per Scooby Doo , the only conclusion is is that the old man in the Blue Anchor holiday park is in fact Brian Tinnion wearing a rubber old man facemask, pretending to be Tommy's grandad!

@Ian M today gets weirder!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Paulton Gilly said:

Sorry new member to this forum, but been reading for years, but been Season ticket holder for 23 years.

Neighbour over the road went to Blue Anchor Holiday Park last (near Minehead) and noticed a signed Tommy Conway shirt in the clubhouse. Got talking to someone and it was Tommy Conway's grandad who was running/owning the caravan park.

In a nutshell he and Tommy's family doesn't think he should be leaving City, they all love Tommy playing for City and so does Tommy apparently. In his words. he has been offered a really good contract at around £15k PW and doesn't know why he would want to leave.

Seems like he is determined to leave, regardless of what his Family think. All a bit of a shame really.

It's not in Blue Anchor.

His grandad runs the bar.

Otherwise, correct. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Midred said:

Can't imagine him getting a flat looking over the Transporter bridge! 

I used to work up there quite a bit a good few years ago and always remember Yarm as being quite nice, bloody freezing in the winter months tho.

3 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

I might have missed something. some clubs go for a player and get them without any fuss. teams like sheff utd and stoke. when it comes to us it's a drama.

We won't pay the fee.

SL wants to cut back. I expect our top fee we would consider is £4m and top Wage £15-20k per week.

Sheffield United have Parachute Payments and that £10m for Osula eases a lot of pressure.

Stoke push their FFP limits and are Debt Free again as Bet365 own then and Cash Flow is therefore no issue. Actually not entirely accurate but that's for the FFP Thread.

2 hours ago, Paulton Gilly said:

Do you work for Tinnion / Bristol Sport?

• Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

I might have missed something. some clubs go for a player and get them without any fuss. teams like sheff utd and stoke. when it comes to us it's a drama.

How much drama was there with Mayulu? How much drama was there with Armstrong? 

• Like 6
  • Robin 1

39 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

Do they? Presumably you are only aware of the ones they have signed, how do you know they have never missed out on any or been messed about? 

33 minutes ago, bristol red said:

Very true

39 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

33 minutes ago, bristol red said:

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, James54De said:

How much drama was there with Mayulu? How much drama was there with Armstrong? 

The only drama about Armstrong was certain posters saying “I bet he joins Stoke”, they are the same ones who will be posting “wish he’d joined Stoke” when he inevitably has a poor game in the next month or so.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The only drama about Armstrong was certain posters saying “I bet he joins Stoke”, they are the same ones who will be posting “wish he’d joined Stoke” when he inevitably has a poor game in the next month or so.

Yep, and realising that rumour to announcement is usually greater than 1 hour 😉😉😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

almost feel Conway deal getting really close especially if there willing to offload Coburn (back up to latte lath) 

Very similar player to Conway I think, Conway just edges him though  

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/exclusive-millwall-interested-in-deal-for-middlesbrough-striker-josh-coburn/

Coburn is quite different to TC.  He’s a big unit, an old fashioned CF type, who’s happy to batter his marker.  Good runner though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Indeed - I think that was @Ron W and I’d suggest his sources are probably pretty good.

@Paulton Gilly you may be passing on what you’ve heard, but the providence of it in some eyes (and to be up front, mine) will be lessened by post one giving a very decent wage quote and post two then riffing on the “Tommys not as good as he thinks he is” angle. It’s very much the “TCs the bad guy” narrative just wrapped up in a slightly different package. Not saying it’s not what you’ve been told, but definite holes in it and the angle then being about TC wanting the prem move/poor agent just makes it feel less plausible.

Like I said, it was conversation with someone at holiday park and conversation sparked because of a signed shirt on the wall. Turns out the gentleman in question was Conway’s grandad. 
I don’t know if his family are city fans, but they are from the area and obviously have a strong connection with city as his grandson played for them for past 13/14years. 
I just think he like many of us fans don’t understand why move to a fellow Champ club, but i certainly don’t know the ‘true’ motives as to why Conway seems so determined to leave.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It's not in Blue Anchor.

His grandad runs the bar.

Otherwise, correct. 

Sorry holiday park bar in Watchet near Minehaed thought it was Blue Anchor my Neighbour went. But proves story is correct.

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Do you work for Tinnion / Bristol Sport?

Certainly not 😂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paulton Gilly said:

Like I said, it was conversation with someone at holiday park and conversation sparked because of a signed shirt on the wall. Turns out the gentleman in question was Conway’s grandad. 
I don’t know if his family are city fans, but they are from the area and obviously have a strong connection with city as his grandson played for them for past 13/14years. 
I just think he like many of us fans don’t understand why move to a fellow Champ club, but i certainly don’t know the ‘true’ motives as to why Conway seems so determined to leave.

Don’t need to justify yourself, always people on here who will believe you and people who won’t. I enjoy stories like this and appreciate people who post them.

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

almost feel Conway deal getting really close especially if there willing to offload Coburn (back up to latte lath) 

Very similar player to Conway I think, Conway just edges him though  

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/exclusive-millwall-interested-in-deal-for-middlesbrough-striker-josh-coburn/

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Coburn is quite different to TC.  He’s a big unit, an old fashioned CF type, who’s happy to batter his marker.  Good runner though.

Wasn’t it Josh Coburn who was on loan at Rovers last season (or the season before)?

I seem to recall he was a two minute hero a few years ago, when he scored for Middlesbrough against Spurs in one of the Cup competitions.

4 hours ago, Shuffle said:

He wants to go to top end championship but only after being shafted by the club with a reduced offer.

When I first heard that it does seem like a slight on him if that's true.  However, even if true we have no idea the timescale between the first offer and the reduced offer.   Wells, Weiman (and maybe Williams?) accepted reduced terms when they signed deals.  Could it be the budget changed between when Tommy was originally offered the contract and the later offer i.e. we need to strengthen the team in other areas or just money is tighter so City aren't prepared to go with the original offer? 

Anyway, all the best to him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paulton Gilly said:

Because LM doesn’t want him and he does not fit the profile of the type of striker we need to play high press as well as be a threat 

Look at Armstrong & Mayulu and how they impacted the game on Saturday, both have the physical attributes to cause defenders problems. Whilst Conway is a decent finisher he’s not what we want at the moment 

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

Because LM doesn’t want him and he does not fit the profile of the type of striker we need to play high press as well as be a threat 

Look at Armstrong & Mayulu and how they impacted the game on Saturday, both have the physical attributes to cause defenders problems. Whilst Conway is a decent finisher he’s not what we want at the moment 

A Scouts Report suggests that Conway can play as lone striker and play with intensity, I posted it somewhere before in the thread.

On 12/08/2024 at 16:50, Silvio Dante said:

It was - that came from before any formal bids came in. The level/type of interest hasn't come as a surprise to TC.

Edited by Ron W
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

after tonight's result Tinnion has to sort out this situation concerning conway. sell and get Twine asap. can't rely on a 19 year old lad who has hardly played any football at this level

We need wingers!! Our wingers are atrocious. 

• Like 6

Just now, Finley_Smith10 said:

100%, Mehmeti looks dangerous at times. Cornick and Bell so far off it.

Mehemti looks dangerous but has no end product. None of them do, shame Yu is injured but we need another winger as much as we need a 10, not another CB! 

29 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Mehemti looks dangerous but has no end product. None of them do, shame Yu is injured but we need another winger as much as we need a 10, not another CB! 

I agree, they are all similar in that they haven’t got a decent ball between the lot of them!  Not one of them can spot a pass or deliver a dangerous ball.

Hopefully the plan is to get yu, twine and earthy all playing together.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Liam Millar delivered some delicious balls on Saturday. Why we weren’t in for him I’ll never know. 

He wasn't really deemed a priority position.

2 minutes ago, bristol red said:

We are in for a right sided winger. Whether you choose to believe me is another matter. Time will tell I guess.

Yu will play on the left

Yu was the 7, no?

2 minutes ago, bristol red said:

We are in for a right sided winger. Whether you choose to believe me is another matter. Time will tell I guess.

Yu will play on the left

Earthy, Twine and a right sided winger now…

Surely not.

Just now, Lew-T said:

Earthy, Twine and a right sided winger now…

Surely not.

Unless Yu’s injury is worse than the club is letting on.

1 minute ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

And just like that, all the hard work has been undone. 
When will we learn

I'm starting to lose track all told. Conway stuff threw us granted but.. 

Yu, Armstrong, Fally

We wait for Twine, Earthy looks to be joining.

Then talk of a new attacking player right side was it.

Plus McNally

3 becomes 4 (unavoidable post Conway)

4 becomes 5...becomes 6?...becomes 7??

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm starting to lose track all told. Conway stuff threw us granted but.. 

Yu, Armstrong, Fally

We wait for Twine, Earthy looks to be joining.

Then talk of a new attacking player right side was it.

Plus McNally

3 becomes 4 (unavoidable post Conway)

4 becomes 5...becomes 6?...becomes 7??

It actually started as just a physical 9 and a Twine, sorry 10.  That was the original need.  Then the 7 came to the fore (not four).  Conway then meant that another 9 was needed.  4 in / 1 out / net 3.  Now it sounds like we want another 10 and another wide attacker…net 3 now becomes net 5.

We signed one 10 - Stokes, don’t forget.

I’m gonna say it again.  When are we gonna coach solutions rather than recruit solutions?

And repeating again, happy we get Twine or Earthy, but not both.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It actually started as just a physical 9 and a Twine, sorry 10.  That was the original need.  Then the 7 came to the fore (not four).  Conway then meant that another 9 was needed.  4 in / 1 out / net 3.  Now it sounds like we want another 10 and another wide attacker…net 3 now becomes net 5.

We signed one 10 - Stokes, don’t forget.

I’m gonna say it again.  When are we gonna coach solutions rather than recruit solutions?

And repeating again, happy we get Twine or Earthy, but not both.

Yeah is the balance quite right.  Ironically for about 2 years we were very good at it...Bit of a tangent wonder if TGH could've played 10 tonight with Knight and Bird as the main 2 CM..not a perfect solution sure but that could've been a bit more cohesive at least..younger, actually a central player and 4 Assists last season suggests a certain baseline of creative potential.

Take some coaching but I wonder in the short term.

Coaching..O'Leary, Tanner, Vyner, Pring, plus the already precocious talents of Scott and Semenyo- probably more I'm missing?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Individual players aside, I'll say it again as I did before it feels like misson creep is a major risk.

Lack of a good Strategic Plan ditto.

I’ll wait and see what the window brings and gives away.  It’s possible that some might leave too, and the netting-off feels about right, so a few weeks to find out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fly in the air said:

can't believe Tommy has not gone. does anyone know the real reason a deal has not been done.

Probably, because he's not that good. 

• Haha 3
  • Flames 3

4 hours ago, fly in the air said:

can't believe Tommy has not gone. does anyone know the real reason a deal has not been done.

Down to Tommy I would think.

Just hanging on for a bit to see if anything better crops up maybe ?

Or maybe the deal isn't right for City as it stands.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Down to Tommy I would think.

Just hanging on for a bit to see if anything better crops up maybe ?

Or maybe the deal isn't right for City as it stands.

Those are all potential aren't they, but it appears it’s been decided that it’s Tommy bad cop, City good cop!

My take is that it’s down to club stalling to try to get better offers (or at least discussions re potential better offers), because they thought there’d be a bidding war.  A more tenuous take was that last week there was maybe a danger Tommy would sign for Hull and play against us.

My gut feel (no ITK) is that it’s probably done (to Boro) and awaiting announcement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not fully relevant but I see Szmodics scored again last night, as he did Friday.

Dunno how long is left on his deal but in the U21s he isn't.

Interesting tactic from Blackburn, playing their best player and most valuable asset who's likely to leave any day. 3 points and second round of the cup, that'll never catch on...

FWIW and I've said this before, Conway can play in that False 9/Number 10 position and do a better job than anyone else in the squad right now. Understand we're succession planning and want to play Fally/Armstrong, so play Conway just off one of them and then when we sign an out and out number 10 they can slot straight in! Appreciate that ship has long sailed but the whole thing has been bonkers, people blaming Conway for not leaving yet when the 'club' keep saying we've not accepted a bid yet...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1