IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It actually started as just a physical 9 and a Twine, sorry 10.  That was the original need.  Then the 7 came to the fore (not four).  Conway then meant that another 9 was needed.  4 in / 1 out / net 3.  Now it sounds like we want another 10 and another wide attacker…net 3 now becomes net 5.

We signed one 10 - Stokes, don’t forget.

I’m gonna say it again.  When are we gonna coach solutions rather than recruit solutions?

And repeating again, happy we get Twine or Earthy, but not both.

I'm going to wait and see, before I make a judgement, if the wide attacker comes in and is a clear step above what we have I won't really care about who's left behind. If they aren't I'll be sorely disappointed. We're privileged to finally be in a position where we can recruit solutions, I'd rather we don't ruin that for the future.

Still trying to sign Twine and Earthy does seem to hint at the fact he plans on playing Twine wide-left (there's no way West Ham let us have Earthy without assurances of him starting every match), which means likely Sam Bell will be nowhere to be seen, some posters will enjoy that I'm sure.

I will say, I'm biased to "recruiting solutions" its my favourite thing about football outside of watching matches.

45 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

I will say, I'm biased to "recruiting solutions" its my favourite thing about football outside of watching matches.

It’s not what they brought Manning in to do though, whether it’s your favourite thing or not!

46 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

Still trying to sign Twine and Earthy does seem to hint at the fact he plans on playing Twine wide-left (there's no way West Ham let us have Earthy without assurances of him starting every match)

Really?

• Flames 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

It’s not what they brought Manning in to do though, whether it’s your favourite thing or not!

Really?

Yeah, unfortunately with our hierarchy they say its one thing and sometimes it tends to another thing.

I don't see how you can get them both in with our current system. Even, if you change 2 10s they both like to occupy the same left side. I guess you could also play Earthy wide-left? Or just bin him off when Twine's in but I feel that's surely unlikely right? right? 😅

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It actually started as just a physical 9 and a Twine, sorry 10.  That was the original need.  Then the 7 came to the fore (not four).  Conway then meant that another 9 was needed.  4 in / 1 out / net 3.  Now it sounds like we want another 10 and another wide attacker…net 3 now becomes net 5.

We signed one 10 - Stokes, don’t forget.

I’m gonna say it again.  When are we gonna coach solutions rather than recruit solutions?

And repeating again, happy we get Twine or Earthy, but not both.

We were told manning was a great on the grass coach’ sorry to say I haven’t seen any evidence of it ( yet ).

4 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

I appear to have travelled back in time to when this thread was only 57 pages long. What’s happened to the other 50+ pages?! Surely someone hasn’t painstakingly gone through and removed all the nonsense and over reaction?! 

Are you new here? 😂

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

I appear to have travelled back in time to when this thread was only 57 pages long. What’s happened to the other 50+ pages?! Surely someone hasn’t painstakingly gone through and removed all the nonsense and over reaction?! 

If they did that it would struggle to make 7 pages, let alone 57 😀

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

Yeah, unfortunately with our hierarchy they say its one thing and sometimes it tends to another thing.

I don't see how you can get them both in with our current system. Even, if you change 2 10s they both like to occupy the same left side. I guess you could also play Earthy wide-left? Or just bin him off when Twine's in but I feel that's surely unlikely right? right? 😅

Let’s hope Manning knows (I’m sure he does), but we (as fans) are in if, buts and maybes territory, and a bit of hope that he’s not just “collecting players”.  It’s a squad game anyway.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

We shouldn't just let them off the hook though (mind you we are stuck with it).

• Facepalm 1

17 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

100%, Mehmeti looks dangerous at times. Cornick and Bell so far off it.

That's because cornick and Bell aren't wingers they are both centre forwards

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Same should be applied to the Twine thread if thats the case.

Plenty to get rid of there.

8 hours ago, stortfordred said:

Well that will be a first! Very few positives about City on here. 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not on this thread!

Maybe the Last 15 Games thread will be much more upbeat... oh... :whistle:

8 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Finally. Now get twine 

We will not budge on what we are willing to pay for him. 

Burnley are not willing to budge on their valuation of him and us selling a player for 4.5 million and them knowing we have even more money is not going to convince them to lower their asking price. 

• Facepalm 1

21 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

It can’t be £4.5m up front surely. If so it’s daylight robbery 

I wonder if we've negotiated lower add ons to get a higher guaranteed amount.

Without knowing how this is structured, I'm not sure we can say if its a bad, ok or good deal.

And I mean good in the context of a 'we've already let everyone see our hand' kind of way.

Edit: good move for tc, Carrick will improve his game.

Edited by Sleepy1968

1 minute ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I wonder if we've negotiated lower add ons to get a higher guaranteed amount.

Without knowing how this is structured, I'm not sure we can say if its a bad, ok or good deal.

And I mean good in the context of a 'we've already let everyone see our hand' kind of way.

He's going, it's gotta be good!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There is £4.5m and there is £4.5m though.

£4.5m in outright fee or ...£4.5m? As in rising to, if Add-Ons and or Conditional Clauses hit, materialise.

3m upfront and 1.5 add ons would be my hunch 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

It’s a hunch off!!

Quasimodo comes home from Notré Dame to see Esmerelda in the kitchen and she has the wok out.

Quasi “ooh Esmerelda, you’ve got the wok out, are we having Chinese for tea tonigh”

Esmerelda “don’t be a dick Quasi, I’ve just finished ironing your shirts”

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4

Shame it’s ended the way it has. It seems the club have made a balls up of it . Let’s hope they learn from it (doubtful) & find a way to replace his goals . 
As for the clamber for Scott twine as well as earthy. I’d really like someone to explain what he would bring to get us up the table . I certainly didn’t see enough last season to warrant what Burnley want for him. Set pieces aside , I thought he flattered to deceive & certainly doesn’t like tackle . He seems to be a  players who gets carried & we’re not good enough to carry players . 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

No bad feelings really towards him. Wish him well and for a successful career. Would I have preferred that he stayed - a local lad, coming through the academy, well regarded? For sure. But for whatever the reason(s); agent talk, greed, influence of close mates progressing, falling out, poor management etc etc. it is what it is. 

Boro feels somewhat underwhelming but realistically there is a good manager there and will be pushing for top 6. He's also a fair bit closer to Scotland than us 😅

A decent sum for someone entering their last contractual year. Now inject that money into the club and bring in player(s) who actually want to be here. A sigh of relief also that this is over - a bit of a mess.

Edited by HOZDA
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

See Boro playing 2 up top tonight. Latte Lath & Conway would be decent.

They look decent, don’t they? Good move for Tommy but I wonder what SL makes of it. I bet he thought he’d be our next significant sale, so losing him for this price to a club in the same division must be a kick in the balls.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

See Boro playing 2 up top tonight. Latte Lath & Conway would be decent.

Boro are playing 1 up top, Leeds are so wide open midfield players are breaking through to make it look like they have 2 up top. Definitely 1 up top. 

While we're guessing , and after seeing reports that the deal was taking time as we wanted more up front , I imagine £3m down and the rest in Add-ons may be fairly close . If this is to be believed .

Hope those who say Boro isn’t a good move for Tommy are watching them v Leeds.  He’ll get a lot of goal scoring chances up there judging on how they are playing here.  

Edited by lenred
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Shame it’s ended the way it has. It seems the club have made a balls up of it . Let’s hope they learn from it (doubtful) & find a way to replace his goals . 
As for the clamber for Scott twine as well as earthy. I’d really like someone to explain what he would bring to get us up the table . I certainly didn’t see enough last season to warrant what Burnley want for him. Set pieces aside , I thought he flattered to deceive & certainly doesn’t like tackle . He seems to be a  players who gets carried & we’re not good enough to carry players . 

@bcfc01 instead of just putting a laughing emoji , why don’t you explain why you want/don’t want twine ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's clearly not a financially motivated move by Conway (their budget not dissimilar to ours). Think it's due to his lack of service with us-watching boro I can see his point! 

but we've changed the profile of our attack now and with earthy providing the bullets and with more options to play 2 up front now...I think Conway might have flourished this season with us anyway 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I don’t like tackle either 

7 minutes ago, lenred said:

Hope those who say Boro isn’t a good move for Tommy are watching them v Leeds.  He’ll get a lot of goal scoring chances up there judging on how they are playing here.  

The contrast between this tie and last night is vast (granted I’ve only watched the last 20 mins) but so much more intensity, accuracy, pace and quality. It’s a little disheartening actually. Conway will do well for Boro on this evidence. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

@bcfc01 instead of just putting a laughing emoji , why don’t you explain why you want/don’t want twine ? 

I can’t speak for him but I disagree with your post as well. I just don’t see how city messed this up. They wanted to keep the lad and he thought he was better than the club. Was he right? I guess so. Boro have a bit more history but the last 10 years say they are likely to be right here in this division again next season much like us. 

He probably isn’t a nailed on starter there like he was here. We have looked no worse without him thus far. We are getting a solid fee for someone we don’t want and everyone know is not staying. 

So i am not sure how anyone but Conway has screwed this up. Great if it works out for him because city would benefit(clauses met and possible sell on). However, he is taking a serious risk that he can get into a team with Lathe, Coburn and Burgzorg already occupying or capable of playing the same position. 

It is reminding me of Jack Marriott from a few years ago. Was a hot commodity at one point. Went for a good fee. Had some decent seasons then fell off a cliff. Never got better and didn’t offer enough as a complete forward. We will see but I think this is a good conclusion of a bad situation for city. We tried to keep him but couldn’t. So this is a good deal all things considered. 

9 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

It's clearly not a financially motivated move by Conway (their budget not dissimilar to ours). Think it's due to his lack of service with us-watching boro I can see his point! 

but we've changed the profile of our attack now and with earthy providing the bullets and with more options to play 2 up front now...I think Conway might have flourished this season with us anyway 

Exactly. Felt impatient on his part and for me his minutes more guaranteed here than they will be at Boro. 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

Dam, Boro look really good tonight!

Don’t they.

Funny thing is, I’d have seriously looked at Coburn this summer as our no9 (with a presence).  Had a discussion with someone yesterday I think who said Conway and Coburn are similar, but they are pretty different.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I can’t speak for him but I disagree with your post as well. I just don’t see how city messed this up. They wanted to keep the lad and he thought he was better than the club. Was he right? I guess so. Boro have a bit more history but the last 10 years say they are likely to be right here in this division again next season much like us. 

He probably isn’t a nailed on starter there like he was here. We have looked no worse without him thus far. We are getting a solid fee for someone we don’t want and everyone know is not staying. 

So i am not sure how anyone but Conway has screwed this up. Great if it works out for him because city would benefit(clauses met and possible sell on). However, he is taking a serious risk that he can get into a team with Lathe, Coburn and Burgzorg already occupying or capable of playing the same position. 

It is reminding me of Jack Marriott from a few years ago. Was a hot commodity at one point. Went for a good fee. Had some decent seasons then fell off a cliff. Never got better and didn’t offer enough as a complete forward. We will see but I think this is a good conclusion of a bad situation for city. We tried to keep him but couldn’t. So this is a good deal all things considered. 

Exactly. Felt impatient on his part and for me his minutes more guaranteed here than they will be at Boro. 

So you’ve completely ignored that the club withdrew the original contract they offered him & presented one on lower terms . If that happened to you , you wouldn’t get the hump & decide to leave . Then by putting an unrealistic price tag on his head & exiling him , forced his price down. How can you possibly not say they ballsed it up 🙄

• Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

So you’ve completely ignored that the club withdrew the original contract they offered him & presented one on lower terms . If that happened to you , you wouldn’t get the hump & decide to leave . Then by putting an unrealistic price tag on his head & exiling him , forced his price down. How can you possibly not say they ballsed it up 🙄

Keep saying it, doesn't make it fact though. As I said earlier, rumour and heresay, just like the gas and their attendances.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1
  • Flames 2

Good luck to him.

Sad how it all ended but he’s never going to reveal his side of the story.

At least it’s resolved before the season has been going for too long.

Doubt this makes any difference to our pursuit of Twine but it does mean we have now pretty much spent a net amount of zero this summer.

So much for all those posters claiming Manning was going to be heavily backed by our owner..

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 11

40 minutes ago, petehinton said:

3m upfront and 1.5 add ons would be my hunch 

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

£2.5m + £2.0m my hunch, my hunch not as big as yours Quasi!

36 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think 3.5m (at least) up front 1m add ons.

Whatever, glad its over.

35 minutes ago, petehinton said:

It’s a hunch off!!

Ok I’ll play! My hunch is that Middlesborough have got a bargain at all of the above. 

Watching them counter attack this evening I can see why they want him. The lad was wasted here the way we play!

Mr Manning now has a bit of wedge to bring in some players he wants. The uncertainty is who else is going out as reading between the lines the door is swinging both ways. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Keep saying it, doesn't make it fact though. As I said earlier, rumour and heresay, just like the gas and their attendances.

I'm happy to accept that an offer that was tabled was then withdrawn, but I can't make any judgement because I don't know any of the detail around it, such as what was said by both parties when the offer was initially tabled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully this circus ends for good tomorrow and everyone can move on.

Although I’m sure his performances for his new club will be debated to death on here and all of the usual guff will be dredged back up 🙄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Good luck to him.

Sad how it all ended but he’s never going to reveal his side of the story.

At least it’s resolved before the season has been going for too long.

Doubt this makes any difference to our pursuit of Twine but it does mean we have now pretty much spent a net amount of zero this summer.

So much for all those posters claiming Manning was going to be heavily backed by our owner..

I know we disagree but with one more to come, maybe two, plus the two done in January, I think he been heavily backed.

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

Ok I’ll play! My hunch is that Middlesborough have got a bargain at all of the above. 

Watching them counter attack this evening I can see why they want him. The lad was wasted here the way we play!

Mr Manning now has a bit of wedge to bring in some players he wants. The uncertainty is who else is going out as reading between the lines the door is swinging both ways. 

Couldn’t agree more.

This won’t be the kinda value SL expected to get.

• Like 3

Just now, milo1111 said:

Although I’m sure his performances for his new club will be debated to death on here and all of the usual guff will be dredged back up 🙄

Yep every Conway goal will be used as a stick to beat Tinnion etc. 

• Flames 1

Just now, milo1111 said:

They had best book St Mary Redcliffe Milo. 😉

The sentiment is most agreeable.

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

£2.5m + £2.0m my hunch, my hunch not as big as yours Quasi!

1.5 up front and around 3 in add ons is mine..... 

We could "hunch" forever here.... The truth is who really knows? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Well lots of people are saying how shite he is so it shouldn’t be an issue! 

I'm gonna predict he scores more at Middlesbrough  than he has for us. Anyone fancy taking a bet against that view? 

3 minutes ago, redrob said:

I'm gonna predict he scores more at Middlesbrough  than he has for us. Anyone fancy taking a bet against that view? 

Not me.  Plenty on here should be biting your hand off though! Edit: do pens count? That’s all he scores isn’t it?! 😗

Edited by lenred
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know we disagree but with one more to come, maybe two, plus the two done in January, I think he been heavily backed.

Couldn’t agree more.

This won’t be the kinda value SL expected to get.

Who has come in Dave. Bird, Armstrong, Fally, Hirikawa, the Irish lad and Stokes and now Earthy (loan fees I’m sure are not cheap) Am I missing anyone

At a glance that’s a lot of money going out which some we recoup at a fee of 4.5 that appears to include add ons. 

Twine I keep reading is 4.5 which Conway offsets. So all the ones mentioned are out of pocket at about XMillion plus the two more we are hearing about. 

Or am I way off?

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yep every Conway goal will be used as a stick to beat Tinnion etc. 

It will! Particularly if we are shit! If we get the promised front foot football and promotion challenge then we will see!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Who has come in Dave. Bird, Armstrong, Fally, Hirikawa, the Irish lad and Stokes and now Earthy (loan fees I’m sure are not cheap) Am I missing anyone

At a glance that’s a lot of money going out which some we recoup at a fee of 4.5 that appears to include add ons. 

Twine I keep reading is 4.5 which Conway offsets. So all the ones mentioned are out of pocket at about XMillion plus the two more we are hearing about. 

Or am I way off?

It will! Particularly if we are shit! If we get the promised front foot football and promotion challenge then we will see!

4.5 million for Twine ?  , jeez it keeps going up , 3 million plus add ons maybe in the end I would think