IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

30 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

So you’ve completely ignored that the club withdrew the original contract they offered him & presented one on lower terms . If that happened to you , you wouldn’t get the hump & decide to leave . Then by putting an unrealistic price tag on his head & exiling him , forced his price down. How can you possibly not say they ballsed it up 🙄

Good luck to him still think the club will regret this Carrick will get the best out of him.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm happy to accept that an offer that was tabled was then withdrawn, but I can't make any judgement because I don't know any of the detail around it, such as what was said by both parties when the offer was initially tabled.

Same with me really. Also the way the club has been run since the so called restructuring &  Alexander was sacked has been amateurish to say the least. So I don’t doubt they’ve cocked this up. Tommy hasn’t kicked off publicly & has continued to come in & get his head down . He’s acted professionally imo 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

4.5 million for Twine ?  , jeez it keeps going up , 3 million plus add ons maybe in the end I would think 

The word was five million originally. But yes it will be cash plus additions without doubt. 

38 minutes ago, redrob said:

I'm gonna predict he scores more at Middlesbrough  than he has for us. Anyone fancy taking a bet against that view? 

The only caveat there is, Latte-Lath is a fairly formidable man in possession, albeit they will create a lot Middlesbrough.

4 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

true, but they obviously don't rate TC that highly .

Idah is perhaps a bit further along in his development, certainly older by 18 months and on loan there last year hence more of a known quantity but I question whether TC is Old Firm ready yet. Not our problem as soon as it is ratified but I see Middlesbrough as a sensible next step for him.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

28 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

He was on loan there, clear they just had a priority target as number 1 like us with Twine

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Who has come in Dave. Bird, Armstrong, Fally, Hirikawa, the Irish lad and Stokes and now Earthy (loan fees I’m sure are not cheap) Am I missing anyone

At a glance that’s a lot of money going out which some we recoup at a fee of 4.5 that appears to include add ons. 

Twine I keep reading is 4.5 which Conway offsets. So all the ones mentioned are out of pocket at about XMillion plus the two more we are hearing about. 

Or am I way off?

It will! Particularly if we are shit! If we get the promised front foot football and promotion challenge then we will see!

Okeys, here’s my take.  I don’t think we are looking at the budget in terms of fees in minus fees out.  We are looking at the costs this year, next year, etc…albeit the further we project into the future the more inaccurate it gets.

We aren’t too worried about FFP down the line (at this stage), but restricting budget by how much SL wants to fund us each season.

But if we do look at the increased costs (not cash) this season of our recruitment in and out, after we’ve reached a starting point of Williams extended, James and Weimann (etc) gone, we are probably looking at:

In:

Conway £2.500m and £0.200m wages (no add-ons achieved)

Total: £2.700m

Out:

Bird*, Stokes*, Mayulu, Armstrong amortisation £1.000m and £1.600m wages this year

Hirakawa**, Earthy loan fee and wage contribution £1.300m

Total: £3.900m

So, the cost of those transactions is an increase of £1.200m this season.  In future seasons we still have all the costs but dependent on Conway add-ons and other player add-ons or selling players, minus any add-ons we have to pay.

Then we add Twine.  Let’s just say it’s £3.200m on a 4 year deal

Twine £0.800m amortisation and £0.800m wages this season.

That increases the spend by £1.600m on top of the above and the commitment to that each year.

Dunno if that makes sense, and I have no idea how much budget we’ve got. But I don’t buy that we’ve got loads of budget.  If the club were thinking they’d get (random figure) £8.000m plus add-ons for Conway, they’ve lost £5.500m of budget!!.

* signed in January, but still amortisation and wages this season

** may incur a transfer fee if loan made perm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Okeys, here’s my take.  I don’t think we are looking at the budget in terms of fees in minus fees out.  We are looking at the costs this year, next year, etc…albeit the further we project into the future the more inaccurate it gets.

We aren’t too worried about FFP down the line (at this stage), but restricting budget by how much SL wants to fund us each season.

But if we do look at the increased costs (not cash) this season of our recruitment in and out, after we’ve reached a starting point of Williams extended, James and Weimann (etc) gone, we are probably looking at:

In:

Out:

Bird*, Stokes*, Mayulu, Armstrong amortisation £1.000m and £1.600m wages this year

So, the cost of those transactions is an increase of £1.200m this season.  In future seasons we still have all the costs but dependent on Conway add-ons and other player add-ons or selling players, minus any add-ons we have to pay.

That increases the spend by £1.600m on top of the above and the commitment to that each year.

Dunno if that makes sense, and I have no idea how much budget we’ve got. But I don’t buy that we’ve got loads of budget.  If the club were thinking they’d get (random figure) £8.000m plus add-ons for Conway, they’ve lost £5.500m of budget!!.

Thanks Dave now I am totally confused. 

But if we do get Twine. Manning has a squad with cover in every position, I know that's debatable with certain positions. So let's see what Manning can produce with them.

I do wish TC all the best on his future career, other than when he playing us.

COYR 

Just now, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Thanks Dave now I am totally confused. 

But if we do get Twine. Manning has a squad with cover in every position, I know that's debatable with certain positions. So let's see what Manning can produce with them.

I do wish TC all the best on his future career, other than when he playing us.

COYR 

Yeah, sorry.

Got to be promotion hasn’t it?

10 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Dave mate as you should of worked out over past seasons on here. My confusion tipping point is very low.

Bloody hell promotion jeez!!!

Top six would be a big step up I think to start.

Didn’t say autos! 😉😉😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

So you’ve completely ignored that the club withdrew the original contract they offered him & presented one on lower terms . If that happened to you , you wouldn’t get the hump & decide to leave . Then by putting an unrealistic price tag on his head & exiling him , forced his price down. How can you possibly not say they ballsed it up 🙄

OTIB said it, it must be true. His price is good for the player he is with a year left. Better value than Norwich are getting for Idah who is a much better player. We didn’t balls anything up. In the end, 4-5m is fair value. He will go and be 3rd choice at a club who finishes on average 5-10 spots better than city but are in this league year after year.

Edited by JoeAman08
  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

35 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

OTIB said it, it must be true. His price is good for the player he is with a year left. Better value than Norwich are getting for Idah who is a much better player. We didn’t balls anything up. In the end, 4-5m is fair value. He will go and be 3rd choice at a club who finishes on average 5-10 spots better than city but are in this league year after year.

Value is okay subject to the breakdown of guaranteed vs conditional.

2nd point  think Middlesbrough should go well this year. Only 4 Parachute clubs, not clear how strong one or two of those are. Where do you get 3rd choice from..Latte-Lath and...?

Seeing as there’s no mention of add ons and they’ve used the word fee maybe it could be guranteed £4.5 million.

Not using 4.5million offer or package etc. Not “Rising to 4.5m” either or something similar.

Might be over a long period with instalments etc but if there were add ons they would mention them imo. 

See below as example, if there were un-guaranteed addons they probably would’ve been mentioned. 

8A759EA8-0192-45B3-BFD5-B0462AE4928F.thumb.png.8981537b75f519445f959cd78c00f772.png

Edited by George Rs
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Value is okay subject to the breakdown of guaranteed vs conditional.

2nd point  think Middlesbrough should go well this year. Only 4 Parachute clubs, not clear how strong one or two of those are. Where do you get 3rd choice from..Latte-Lath and...?

Coburn. I like him. I am sure I said could be or possibly likely. We’ll see either way. I just think he would have had more minutes here being from the academy and a big part of the last two years. I don’t mean now that we have signed Fally and SA but if he had signed a new deal last summer or January or even before we signed the two. He dug his feet in and now will have to seriously compete for his job which he didn’t really need to do here with the way our finances were at the time he broke through. 

And don’t get me wrong, they are strong and should be a playoff team. I just think the teams coming down are always favourite and Leeds still being here because of Ipswich makes it difficult for anyone else to have great odds at promotion imo. I wouldn’t put too much stock into tonight either. One off cup game. It happens.

3 hours ago, George Rs said:

Seeing as there’s no mention of add ons and they’ve used the word fee maybe it could be guranteed £4.5 million.

Not using 4.5million offer or package etc. Not “Rising to 4.5m” either or something similar.

Might be over a long period with instalments etc but if there were add ons they would mention them imo. 

See below as example, if there were un-guaranteed addons they probably would’ve been mentioned. 

8A759EA8-0192-45B3-BFD5-B0462AE4928F.thumb.png.8981537b75f519445f959cd78c00f772.png

Got a source for that deal mate?

4 hours ago, George Rs said:

He looks a bit old to be commanding that sort of fee. 

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

The way they went about was haphazard . The version of events that have been stated on here by a few respected people against whatever you think happened , which is what exactly ? Tommy being a billy big bollocks ? Because he’s never come across like that 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

the one person really benefitting from all this will be his agent wont it?

Well no TC will get a hugh payrise so he's doing alright out of this otherwise he would have stayed here if it wasnt for the money

8 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Completely different sort of striker.

Bit like saying Akinbiyi & Thorpe are the same type.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

In:

Out:

With players going out on loan (no salary/reduced salary), does that have a small impact?  I know we're not talking Weimann sized figures here but it may be a small chip away.

9 hours ago, redrob said:

I'm gonna predict he scores more at Middlesbrough  than he has for us. Anyone fancy taking a bet against that view? 

If he doesn't, it will only be down to injury or lack of games for some other reason. If he can't score more goals between the age of 22 and 25 than he did between 19 and 21 Boro fans will be fuming.

Glad this seems to have finally come to an end, I see the article from Bristol Live states Hull would have offered more wages to Tommy but his heart was set on working under Carrick so fair play for that, hopefully we can now use the money to get twine over the line. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Glad this seems to have finally come to an end, I see the article from Bristol Live states Hull would have offered more wages to Tommy but his heart was set on working under Carrick so fair play for that, hopefully we can now use the money to get twine over the line. 

Interesting. And not a little inconvenient for certain people on here, either, because it really doesn't support their view of him.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

the one person really benefitting from all this will be his agent wont it?

Without knowing the Agency Model that Cole’s works under then it’s hard to say.  I suspect the income Cole’s earns for his Agency from Conway / Club(s) has some impact of his salary / bonus.

But had Conway signed a contract here, he’d have still earned some “sales income” his agency, probably will get more from a move though.

Again, though, we hear that Conway isn’t all about the money.  Some have painted the wrong picture of him.  And only rumours, but the money he’s accepted at Boro, isn’t much more than what we offered him.  The problem, whether believed or not, was the lowered contract in between.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Interesting. And not a little inconvenient for certain people on here, either, because it really doesn't support their view of him.

Yep, people will say what they want won't they. Tommy has obviously felt the need to move on to improve his career I for one will watch out for him. no doubt he will get booed on his return here as some of our fans feel the need to do to players. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Completely different sort of striker.

Bit like saying Akinbiyi & Thorpe are the same type.

Fair play for responding, I decided I definitely couldn’t be bothered. Surely the most tenuous attempt at criticising Conway yet I reckon. Football club signs a different player.. well, isn’t Conway shit. Funny, reckon I was still in primary school when I got used to the idea that footballers move clubs. Seems some are still working through that heartbreaking revelation.

Can’t say I’m particularly arsed either way how his career progresses, but my god some of the jilted lover syndrome is quite pathetic to read isn’t it.

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 3

Not really posted much on this thread but have been keeping an eye on it, but fair play to Tommy, he is moving on to bigger & better things (yes, regardless of what anyone thinks about the place itself, Boro are certainly a step up from us) & i am sure he will be using this move as a stepping to stone to further his own career.

Really don't understand some of the anger/malice aimed at Conway from some on here - he signed a deal, this deal is now running out & he has not been offered a new one which he has deemed acceptable so he is moving on, just like 99% of professional footballers do. I'm sure some on here like to think they are "itk" & know all the in's/out's of the contract he was offered, but the only people who will ever know for sure are TC, his agent & Tinnion (assuming he deals with the contracts). Know one else will ever know what the actual deal offered. He has always come across as a decent bloke so i wish him all the best & i am sure he will have a good career.....just as long as he plays sh1t against us!

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Not really posted much on this thread but have been keeping an eye on it, but fair play to Tommy, he is moving on to bigger & better things (yes, regardless of what anyone thinks about the place itself, Boro are certainly a step up from us) & i am sure he will be using this move as a stepping to stone to further his own career.

Really don't understand some of the anger/malice aimed at Conway from some on here - he signed a deal, this deal is now running out & he has not been offered a new one which he has deemed acceptable so he is moving on, just like 99% of professional footballers do. I'm sure some on here like to think they are "itk" & know all the in's/out's of the contract he was offered, but the only people who will ever know for sure are TC, his agent & Tinnion (assuming he deals with the contracts). Know one else will ever know what the actual deal offered. He has always come across as a decent bloke so i wish him all the best & i am sure he will have a good career.....just as long as he plays sh1t against us!

You should see it in the wider fanbase tbh. Twitter, FB City groups. No idea about Instagram as I'm not on there.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You should see it in the wider fanbase tbh. Twitter, FB City groups. No idea about Instagram as I'm not on there.

I try to avoid reading the twitter responses the most, as it is mainly the younger chilidish "fifa" generation that believe no player should ever leave the club without a torrent of abuse........who then post crap like "H.M.S Piss the league" when we make some bang average signing, just to get some laughing emoji's in their replies.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thank god this debacle is coming to a close!

Contracts offered, retracted, whatever.  

The reality is, TC last season struggled to make an impact in the way Liam intends to play and without penalties would have had a weak return in way of goals and looked isolated most of the time.  Best of luck to the lad, and I hope his career flourishes under Carrick as it will benefit us in the long term should he be moved on for a large transfer fee.

The club has and does use the word "trade".  To "move" on TC, replace him with Fally and retain a surplus looks to be a cracking bit of business.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I am active on twitter and see the stuff you mean, I just feel it's the way of the world these days sadly people feel either let down or offended that someone doesn't want to be at a club so they lash out say something critical get a bit of attention and feel better for it, I would rather just wish Tommy all the best and us move on, the reality is sadly that he wont achieve what he wants to in his career whilst he's here and you cant blame him for being ambitious.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

I try to avoid reading the twitter responses the most, as it is mainly the younger chilidish "fifa" generation that believe no player should ever leave the club without a torrent of abuse........who then post crap like "H.M.S Piss the league" when we make some bang average signing, just to get some laughing emoji's in their replies.

Well there is that but he is generally cast as the villain of the piece by a decent chunk of fans IMO- not ok here but more broadly.

I don't agree with them at all but they've rallied to the flag as it were.

12 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

So you’ve completely ignored that the club withdrew the original contract they offered him & presented one on lower terms . If that happened to you , you wouldn’t get the hump & decide to leave . 

Contract offers, if left unsigned, may go up and down depending on circumstances.

It has been reported that City subsequently offered Conway a contract which would have put among our highest paid players, but he and his agent refused to negotiate.

If this is all about his emotions and being pissed off that one contract offer was withdrawn he should have been delighted when another much higher one was offered.

If he had any thoughts of staying at City, that is.

It seems Conway and his agent felt they could get more money at a 'better' club, and there is no suggestion he was ever going to sign a contract with City under either Pearson or Manning.

Why fans seem determined to blame the club they support when a player who seems determined to leave turns down what in the end was a great offer is beyond me.

I'm with the club on this one. 

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 8

45 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Yep, people will say what they want won't they. Tommy has obviously felt the need to move on to improve his career I for one will watch out for him. no doubt he will get booed on his return here as some of our fans feel the need to do to players

Not worth getting your knickers in a knot over. Conway won't care, those who boo will feel better about it and it's only going to create a more hostile atmosphere.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cider Wurzel said:

Can’t reveal my source, but I’ve been told that we’re interested in Scott Twine. Has anyone heard anything? 

Only another 2 weeks until school returns I think?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Fair play for responding, I decided I definitely couldn’t be bothered. Surely the most tenuous attempt at criticising Conway yet I reckon. Football club signs a different player.. well, isn’t Conway shit. Funny, reckon I was still in primary school when I got used to the idea that footballers move clubs. Seems some are still working through that heartbreaking revelation.

Can’t say I’m particularly arsed either way how his career progresses, but my god some of the jilted lover syndrome is quite pathetic to read isn’t it.

So, you couldn't be bothered to reply to the o p but you could to someone with a similar view to you ? hmmm  BTW ,haven't got a clue what type of striker the other bloke is, I wasn't saying TC was shit, just that they found money for the bloke they really wanted, so wind your neck in !

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

So, you couldn't be bothered to reply to the o p but you could to someone with a similar view to you ? hmmm  BTW ,haven't got a clue what type of striker the other bloke is, I wasn't saying TC was shit, just that they found money for the bloke they really wanted, so wind your neck in !

Are you okay?

• Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, FNQ said:

Less than a year ago… Makes you wonder how and why it’s all turned so toxic.

Good luck Tommy!

I don't think it's turned anywhere near as toxic as people make out, even over the last few weeks when he got banished to the stiffs. It was clear, and Nige said so too, that he was never signing a new deal (unless we offered him a lot more money than we were prepared to pay). I doubt that Liam calls Tommy a greedy **** when he walks past him at the HPC....................the TD might have a different view as he told everybody TC and Sam Bell would be our strike partnership for years, whoops you did it again Brian...........

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Posters imply went ‘toxic’ with TC.

Not sure how that is worked out. He was not going to sign for us unless wage structure smashed and I for one support club 100% in how it was handled. I suggest  many others might as well. 
Its nature pro football. Happens everywhere at different levels. 
Enjoy the NE in winter TC..

going to senile ( I mean senior) reds later today  where BT is guest speaker. No doubt s few things will be asked from the floor in Q &A s as normal.

money about right for TC.. interesting to see how often he plays

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Interesting piece from Piercy today that hints at what I always suspected......the treatment of TC comes from the VERY TOP.

It set an interesting precedent for future players whose contracts close in on the final year. Probably both good and bad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Interesting piece from Piercy today that hints at what I always suspected......the treatment of TC comes from the VERY TOP.

As a football club we've been burned more than once with contracts not being signed.  I would expect this business decision to come from the VERY TOP, it's never going to be solely in the hand of the "coach".  I'm not sure this is overly newsworthy or surprising.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Posters imply went ‘toxic’ with TC.

Not sure how that is worked out. He was not going to sign for us unless wage structure smashed and I for one support club 100% in how it was handled. I suggest  many others might as well. 
Its nature pro football. Happens everywhere at different levels. 
Enjoy the NE in winter TC..

going to senile ( I mean senior) reds later today  where BT is guest speaker. No doubt s few things will be asked from the floor in Q &A s as normal.

money about right for TC.. interesting to see how often he plays

If you get any interesting snippets from Senior Reds later (as you say, with Tinnion there, likely to be some insight into TC move and potentially/hopefully, another incoming) 👍

Just now, mozo said:

It set an interesting precedent for future players whose contracts close in on the final year. Probably both good and bad.

I think it sets a precedent for Academy trained players the Owner might think are ungrateful due to turning down two contract offers, not much more than that!! It was personal and I knew, just from basic common sense, that the likes of the TD and Liam COULD NOT treat Tommy the way they did without receiving either orders or ratification from the Owner. It was totally obvious and anything else defied logic because of the weakened negotiating position it put us in...........BT and LM can't act like lone wolves and potentially lose Steve £2m just because they've got the hump over something!!

• Like 3