IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

2 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

As a football club we've been burned more than once with contracts not being signed.  I would expect this business decision to come from the VERY TOP, it's never going to be solely in the hand of the "coach".  I'm not sure this is overly newsworthy or surprising.

It's not, I agree.....................but have you read the comments on here??!! Some blaming Liam, some blaming the hierarchy, very few mentioning involvement from the one person that had to permit the situation. The other two are just following orders.

• Like 1

I certainly didn't think it was down to Manning but the most Senior Football man at the club...higher than him by the sound of it?

Had we put a +1 in there back in 2022 eh..ah well never mind eh? £4.5m or finishing there if Add-Ons hit, are we certain either way yet.

I think the problem with these situations is everyone instinctively wants to find out the truth about what has really happened but the reality is there often isn’t a definitive truth so much as a set of perspectives. I imagine Conway, Coles, Tinnion, Manning, Jon Lansdown, Steve Lansdown would all have different views on why Conway is moving - and potentially not always give the same view each time they were asked - and that none of them are wholly right or wholly wrong.

I think it is a real shame Conway is moving on but the figure quoted is better than I anticipated given the time left on his contract. Unless he goes full Greg Cunningham on us, I wish him well and hope he succeeds both at international and club level, not least as a narrative that we develop good players does us no harm as a club.

• Like 14

Yeah I'm very agnostic about the Conway drama and I'll keep an eye out on his progress, but without any attachment. He's definitely got the potential to have a very good career at this level, maybe even above and hopefully he can earn us some add on money!

I don't understand why people are bitter about Conway refusing to sign a contract and moving on. As a footballer he is effectively self employed and entitled to do what he thinks is best for him. Time will tell whether he's made the right decision. I think it's clear that City have mishandled his contract situation, but also that he's been badly advised. I don't believe for one moment he is a money grabber or that he has an ego larger than any other young ambitious footballer. I hold no animosity towards him whatsoever and will gladly give him a warm welcome when he returns. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't understand why people are bitter about Conway refusing to sign a contract and moving on. As a footballer he is effectively self employed and entitled to do what he thinks is best for him. Time will tell whether he's made the right decision. I think it's clear that City have mishandled his contract situation, but also that he's been badly advised. I don't believe for one moment he is a money grabber or that he has an ego larger than any other young ambitious footballer. I hold no animosity towards him whatsoever and will gladly give him a warm welcome when he returns. 

Agree with this regarding his right to do what is best for him, equally the football club is allowed to do what is best in its interest, if that is amending contract offers for whatever reason then so be it.

However I am a little apprehensive to cast blame at the Football Club, we in the past have allowed valued assets to run contracts down (Fam & HNM) on the belief they were going to sign.  For once, I believe we have been decisive and have realised some of that value at £4.5m.

In reality, this outcome is the best for all parties, we move on and say thank you to TC on his return with Boro as we do with the majority of past players.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Without knowing the Agency Model that Cole’s works under then it’s hard to say.  I suspect the income Cole’s earns for his Agency from Conway / Club(s) has some impact of his salary / bonus.

But had Conway signed a contract here, he’d have still earned some “sales income” his agency, probably will get more from a move though.

Again, though, we hear that Conway isn’t all about the money.  Some have painted the wrong picture of him.  And only rumours, but the money he’s accepted at Boro, isn’t much more than what we offered him.  The problem, whether believed or not, was the lowered contract in between.

He also seems to have regressed since Nige’s departure, there could be lots of reasons for that, maybe upset by events, or just Mannings style doesn’t suit him.

Either way it seems he feels he needs a fresh start. He doesn’t seem like the billy big bollocks type. Good luck to him. Obviously not when he plays us. I for one will clap, not boo

• Like 2
  • Robin 3

1 minute ago, Ashtongreight said:

He also seems to have regressed since Nige’s departure, there could be lots of reasons for that, maybe upset by events, or just Mannings style doesn’t suit him.

Either way it seems he feels he needs a fresh start. He doesn’t seem like the billy big bollocks type. Good luck to him. Obviously not when he plays us. I for one will clap, not boo

Think you’ve hit the nail on the head regarding LMs style. He just doesn’t suit the lone striker role and needs someone alongside him to thrive .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Why fans seem determined to blame the club they support when a player who seems determined to leave turns down what in the end was a great offer is beyond me.

This para👏🏻

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

Agree with this regarding his right to do what is best for him, equally the football club is allowed to do what is best in its interest, if that is amending contract offers for whatever reason then so be it.

However I am a little apprehensive to cast blame at the Football Club, we in the past have allowed valued assets to run contracts down (Fam & HNM) on the belief they were going to sign.  For once, I believe we have been decisive and have realised some of that value at £4.5m.

In reality, this outcome is the best for all parties, we move on and say thank you to TC on his return with Boro as we do with the majority of past players.

For me its always been that there's a difference with letting contracts run down believing players are going to sign and what City have done this summer. If they wanted to move Tommy on its all to easy to do so without the approach they took. The club itself are the reason Tommy hasn't already left this summer and have been shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FNQ said:

Less than a year ago… Makes you wonder how and why it’s all turned so toxic.

Good luck Tommy!

Don't know the particulars here but generally speaking, until we're a club going places then every summer our better lads will be going other places. 

We're a club going around in circles in midtable.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Don't know the particulars here but generally speaking, until we're a club going places then every summer our better lads will be going other places. 

We are now I hope in a position where can be a bit more choosy about players staying or going, moving etc.

Having sorted out the FFP stuff.

7 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Agreed. Players have to believe they can progress with City not via City.

• Like 4

Proof of pudding is in the eating! Lots of pressure on TC and his agent once they move to Boro - he won’t have the “one of our own” attention which may be good or bad for him, but it’s still a whole situation that is baffling to me. 

No animosity, maybe a bit of sadness that a local lad who we were told loved the club, is leaving under a cloud and for  a club in our league. File this one under “very odd” and move on!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I think it sets a precedent for Academy trained players the Owner might think are ungrateful due to turning down two contract offers, not much more than that!! It was personal and I knew, just from basic common sense, that the likes of the TD and Liam COULD NOT treat Tommy the way they did without receiving either orders or ratification from the Owner. It was totally obvious and anything else defied logic because of the weakened negotiating position it put us in...........BT and LM can't act like lone wolves and potentially lose Steve £2m just because they've got the hump over something!!

I think there are two sides to his “annoyance”.

1. the academy dream for SL
  2. the lost transfer value

Liam Manning said it was a club decision to sell him asap, but his decision to put him in the u21s.

39 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Think you’ve hit the nail on the head regarding LMs style. He just doesn’t suit the lone striker role and needs someone alongside him to thrive .

It’s not the “lone striker” bit, it’s the way LM plays his system.  There are many ways to play a lone striker that could see Tommy thrive.  But Manning chose a different way to play it.  Don’t forget Manning saw Twine as the key for Tommy.  But then when it looked like not signing an extension here it became “he’s still got challenges” type stuff.  So LM himself did a bit of jilted-bride himself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mattredrobin said:

Yep, people will say what they want won't they. Tommy has obviously felt the need to move on to improve his career I for one will watch out for him. no doubt he will get booed on his return here as some of our fans feel the need to do to players. 

That happens at every club but it was bizarre the abuse freeman got from some fans. 

On the flip side some players act like nobs on their return when they received a good reaction from fans Szmodics & Cunningham being two from memory

3 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Proof of pudding is in the eating! Lots of pressure on TC and his agent once they move to Boro - he won’t have the “one of our own” attention which may be good or bad for him, but it’s still a whole situation that is baffling to me. 

No animosity, maybe a bit of sadness that a local lad who we were told loved the club, is leaving under a cloud and for  a club in our league. File this one under “very odd” and move on!

I think it’s sad we are losing a very good striker for a fraction of what he’s worth now and in future.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

The way they went about was haphazard . The version of events that have been stated on here by a few respected people against whatever you think happened , which is what exactly ? Tommy being a billy big bollocks ? Because he’s never come across like that 

What I will say is that I would not put it past the club to do it. On the other hand, to me, always sounded like an agent covering his tracks. The agent is from the area and tbh it would be easy for him to spread a story like that.

I mean do you think BT is telling people yea we offered him 15k a week but after the window we said F it have 10k? Doesn’t make sense to me. Completely different to the Maguire and Gray stories from years back as that would have annoyed many people throughout the club.  What the posters have said on here could only come from Conway, his agent and those close. There is plenty of reason to fib in this instance as again, I believe they overplayed their hand. 

I think both signings are better all around players than Conway. Conway might net you 15 in a good season and the other two may not. However, I believe they are more talented in every other area. So with Conway basically covering both transfer fees, I think the club has done extremely well. 

• Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Liam Manning said it was a club decision to sell him asap, but his decision to put him in the u21s.

This makes me think back to the Chris Martin situation. When CM was coming to the last few months of his contract with City, Nige persuaded the board to pay up his contract to move him on, because whilst CM wasn't a bad apple there are subtle influences in the team vibe. When we knew Conway was moving on this summer, I can understand keeping him out the picture, even if he's a nice lad. I do, however, think it was a negotiation tactic to ensure he moves on, but who knows.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think there are two sides to his “annoyance”.

1. the academy dream for SL
  2. the lost transfer value

It’s not the “lone striker” bit, it’s the way LM plays his system.  There are many ways to play a lone striker that could see Tommy thrive.  But Manning chose a different way to play it.  Don’t forget Manning saw Twine as the key for Tommy.  But then when it looked like not signing an extension here it became “he’s still got challenges” type stuff.  So LM himself did a bit of jilted-bride himself.

Fair

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

If the reported fee is £4.5m, that’s better than I expected.  Let’s go get twine and move onwards and upwards   

Piercy saying “deal” not “fee” (Sky bloke).

My view is that we aren’t getting a transfer fee of £4.5m

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it’s sad we are losing a very good striker for a fraction of what he’s worth now and in future.

Don't be sad Dave. Just think back to Liam Rosenior and you'll feel much better :w00t:

12 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Thanks Dave now I am totally confused. 

But if we do get Twine. Manning has a squad with cover in every position, I know that's debatable with certain positions. So let's see what Manning can produce with them.

I do wish TC all the best on his future career, other than when he playing us.

COYR 

Something about him I didn't really like, he seemed to think he was better than us and it came through on the training clips, not sure he has had the best advice, but good luck and thanks for the dosh.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 3

• Admin
2 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Yes. We all heard what LM and others said from club. I do not buy into all the conspiracy stories  that are embellished on the internet. 

Maybe you need to listen to those much closer to those involved?

• Admin
32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Piercy saying “deal” not “fee” (Sky bloke).

My view is that we aren’t getting a transfer fee of £4.5m

That's my take on this too, I would imagine it is very rare for an amount quoted to be an actual amount any club receives

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

What I will say is that I would not put it past the club to do it. On the other hand, to me, always sounded like an agent covering his tracks. The agent is from the area and tbh it would be easy for him to spread a story like that.

I mean do you think BT is telling people yea we offered him 15k a week but after the window we said F it have 10k? Doesn’t make sense to me. Completely different to the Maguire and Gray stories from years back as that would have annoyed many people throughout the club.  What the posters have said on here could only come from Conway, his agent and those close. There is plenty of reason to fib in this instance as again, I believe they overplayed their hand. 

I think both signings are better all around players than Conway. Conway might net you 15 in a good season and the other two may not. However, I believe they are more talented in every other area. So with Conway basically covering both transfer fees, I think the club has done extremely well. 

So you could imagine the club doing it!!!

The sense of it could be quite simply supply and demand - with a club (Celtic) interested City offered him £x, and with Celtic gone away we offer £y, ie it’s not so important to offer him as much now.  Surely that has some sanity to it.  You may then decide that Tommy’s stand (principle based) was an overreaction.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, phantom said:

That's my take on this too, I would imagine it is very rare for an amount quoted to be an actual amount any club receives

The first indicator we will get will be in the 2024-25, Accounts, so sometime between November 2025 and April 2026 probably as he is the only real sale of note to date.

We might if we are lucky get something in Post Balance Sheets and be able to extrapolate a rough idea.

12 minutes ago, Bannerman said:

Out of interest what do you think he’s worth?

I did this the other week, when asked the same.  Based on the circumstances / situation I said I hoped we might get a fee of £3m (but sort out £2.5m give or take £0.5m).  That’s accepting an amount way less than we quoted one club a few weeks back when it all blew-up, which put them off.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The first indicator we will get will be in the 2024-25, Accounts, so sometime between November 2025 and April 2026 probably as he is the only real sale of note to date.

We might if we are lucky get something in Post Balance Sheets and be able to extrapolate a rough idea.

Add-ons for Scott and Semenyo…and any other transfers are gonna make this a tough one to nail, but PBS might help together with Debtors info.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That's the way of the world nowadays Dave. The players ( and their agents) really hold all the cards.

Once they decide they can make the move to bigger and better things, they control their destiny. Unless they ask for a transfer ( very rare these days) they can see out the remainder of their contract biding their time until making a lucrative move with the club almost powerless to do anything about it, so continue to pay his wages until he leaves for nothing. In this case, I wonder whether TC thought that he would continue to be our main striker through this season and if do then it's perhaps been a rude awakening to see the club freezing him out in order to force the move now, rather than at the end of the season? 

The players also know that financially, from their point of view. not signing a new contract as Tommy has done means that the transfer fee is on downward sliding scale, going to zero at the end of the current contract. During this time the agent will almost certainly ensure that the difference between what the buying club pays and what they would have paid if the player had 2/3 years left on his contract is reflected in the player's personal terms - either an enhanced signing on fee, or spread over the contract in terms of wages, bonuses etc.

I know that some feel aggrieved at the way at the way the club has handled things during the summer , i.e. banishing him to the U21s, and while not wishing it vindictively to Tommy, perhaps more clubs need to be stronger in the way the deal with players who refuse to sign new contracts, leaving a limbo period of 12-18 months left. I would agree with Manning if he wanted to make his plans around players that are committed to the club long term ( or at least as long term as we see in football) rather than a player who has made it clear that he wants to leave - but not just yet. 

I wonder how it would be if players contracts specified that if they are subsequently offered a new and improved contract by the club, but reject it, then the club can take that as being the player requesting a transfer?

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

@downendcity totally, it’s football.  I think we lost value on Tommy, not by banishing per se, and without going over the contract stuff, by the whole approach to trying to sell him.  I think they thought he’d sign an extension, and they missed the window whilst losing interested clubs with a stupid price tag.

• Like 1

In my view, its a similar situation to TGH, Max Bird & Jason Knight. They were all viewed as "academy graduates" or "ones for the future" and would always have that tag to continually try to shake off if they had stayed on with their parent clubs. Now they are experienced pros in their own right.

Tommy has shared a flat with Alex Scott who's got his big money move & contract to suit, he's also had a taste of international football. His stock is as high as it can be at the moment. The change of coach here last season and the change of direction with the forward players, I think, helped to make the decision for him. I think he was leaning towards a big move to one of the old firm but has had to settle for the championship & Boro.

Will he have a better chance of getting promotion? probably & that's as much down to the ambition of their board & owner & recent history as opposed to ours. More importantly, from his perspective, they will play in a formation that's much more suited to his skillset 

Good luck for the future Tommy.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So you could imagine the club doing it!!!

The sense of it could be quite simply supply and demand - with a club (Celtic) interested City offered him £x, and with Celtic gone away we offer £y, ie it’s not so important to offer him as much now.  Surely that has some sanity to it.  You may then decide that Tommy’s stand (principle based) was an overreaction.

No I would say it is possible but we won’t know all the details if it was the case. I’m just saying we don’t/won’t know sides. Maybe he had initial talks with Celtic and said we’d match their offer. No deal so no offer but Celtic were talking 17k a week. So after we offered 12k. 

Whether that would be good process or not idk. If no one is willing to pay the 10-12m, why would city pay you like you are? There was probably an in between in both what we hear and what should have happened. I just think City are net positive in this instance. I think we have better players in the position now and got a decent amount for a player who was leaving soon anyway. 

TC has out grown the club, like a number of our young talent,

He's no different then Bryan, Reid, scott, 

He always gave 100% on the pitch and will have a good career,

I dont understand the hate, it's pathetic on a way,

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

All the very best to TC. No animosity from me, a great move for him to a team with ambition that will be in the Premier League before us imo. 

As a player I would prefer to play for a team with ambition than a team happy to be an also ran, and that won't change until there is change at the very top.

Never realised how great boro were so full of ambition as another player leaves the City roundabout, going nowhere apart from back to the start again. Ah well, seems many fans are quite happy with that 🥱

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

TC has out grown the club, like a number of our young talent,

He's no different then Bryan, Reid, scott, 

He always gave 100% on the pitch and will have a good career,

I dont understand the hate, it's pathetic on a way,

Where is the "hate"? Always makes me laugh when people say that. Bar one or two, literally, that cannot get over it and have made a few over the top comments, most people just want him gone out of the club.......so that the club can move on.

You could just as easily call a similar number on here, who don't seem to have processed that Tommy doesn't want to play for us any more and are lashing out at the club (justifiably in large part it seems but as always we do not know the WHOLE story), "Tommy lovers" but that would be just as childish wouldn't it?

I don't understand the love for a 22 year old athlete, it's pathetic in a way.................it's easily done isn't it??!!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Where is the "hate"? Always makes me laugh when people say that. Bar one or two, literally, that cannot get over it and have made a few over the top comments, most people just want him gone out of the club.......so that the club can move on.

You could just as easily call a similar number on here, who don't seem to have processed that Tommy doesn't want to play for us any more and are lashing out at the club (justifiably in large part it seems but as always we do not know the WHOLE story), "Tommy lovers" but that would be just as childish wouldn't it?

I don't understand the love for a 22 year old athlete, it's pathetic in a way.................it's easily done isn't it??!!

So you fall into the hate category then....

And I agree love in for players is equally pathetic,

Players come and go, don't get overly attached to them,

The club is more important 

• Admin
1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

I don't know about anyone else but I am certainly less concerned about losing Conway than I was losing Scott or Semenyo

• Like 10

Just now, Monkeh said:

No I don't fall into the hate category at all. In fact, if you read and then comprehended my post what I'm saying is that there is hardly anybody on here that "hates" the lad. Hardly anyone at all. I have nothing against Tommy Conway whatsoever, he's a 22 year old lad making a career decision like hundreds of thousands of lads and girls his age do in this country, nothing more and nothing less. As I said earlier, when he arrives at the Gate later in the season he's an opposition player, nothing more, nothing less.

I think the highlighted bit you've written above is a bit childish to be honest. It's all about lovers and 'aters with some of you ain't it..............

• Like 2

That a more equitable solution could not be found is a sad day in my opinion. Only T.C. can add clarity and explain his motivation and perspective on what has transpired over the last year. So many things have been written but the bottom line is we have lost a very talented young striker that already can cut it at championship level but more so has the potential to achieve premiership status. I tipped Middlesbrough for a 5th place finish, I'm sure we will all be watching them and T.C. with interest

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, Ashtongreight said:

On day 1 Liam Manning essentially told Conway he would have to change his style of play and mould into a Liam Manning player. 

To give Tommy his credit he was fully on board with this, withdraw from a Scotland training camp so he could have that on the grass coaching from Manning.

Tommy himself said positive things about Manning. 

I expect Conway to flourish at Boro if they play to his strengths. 

• Like 1

First of all I’m happy this is having a resolution because I’m fed up of the situation and I’m also fed up of players in previous years running their contract down (Massengo springs to mind). 

I’m very much with the club on this, I did think we were the best place for him to develop and with it being his local side and probably being a starter (possibly could benefit from the role Wells is playing aswell?) but I didn’t see him as a premier league player like Scott and Semenyo was when we sold them. 

Don’t think Tommy is a bad egg I think his agent has given him some bad advice but only my opinion. Wish him well but the club had to act in their best intentions which we haven’t done previously.

• Like 10

• Admin
43 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

There's not a chance in hell that 'boro will change their style of play, it will again be a case of Tommy having to adapt to their game

Let's hope for his sake that goes better than it did with us

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

On day 1 Liam Manning essentially told Conway he would have to change his style of play and mould into a Liam Manning player. 

To give Tommy his credit he was fully on board with this, withdraw from a Scotland training camp so he could have that on the grass coaching from Manning.

Tommy himself said positive things about Manning. 

It wasn’t just Tommy, he did it with everyone, he had a way he wanted to play and expected the players to adapt/fit. Many players played out of position. He still does to a degree. 

I agree if Boro play to his strengths he’ll flourish and score well into double figures, he’s a natural finisher. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

There's not a chance in hell that 'boro will change their style of play, it will again be a case of Tommy having to adapt to their game

I suspect their style of play is more to his liking, indeed our more pressing approach so far of this season might have been but we'll never know.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I suspect their style of play is more to his liking, indeed our more pressing approach so far of this season might have been but we'll never know.

it would have taken a long time for it to happen anyway pops, our passing under pressure is abysmal

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, phantom said:

I think it's moreso that Boro think he'll fit into their existing system. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think it's moreso that Boro think he'll fit into their existing system. 

Can just see Jones getting to the byeline and pulling back to Conway for a tap-in after smart movement.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pressing is one of Tommy's main strengths. 

We moved away from pressimg for the most part of Mannings reign. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Pressing is one of Tommy's main strengths. 

We moved away from pressimg for the most part of Mannings reign. 

Genuine question, and I'm certainly not having a go but are you actually a City supporter? 

Boro, a team we beat home and away last season and in past 27 head to head games we have WON 13, Boro 7 and 7 draws so its not the form, must be the money then they were prepared to pay him more for longer than our own forward looking ambitious club, why else would he leave?

I find that really sad for us..... oh for a rich owner who wanted to build a team rather than buildings.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

No I don't fall into the hate category at all. In fact, if you read and then comprehended my post what I'm saying is that there is hardly anybody on here that "hates" the lad. Hardly anyone at all. I have nothing against Tommy Conway whatsoever, he's a 22 year old lad making a career decision like hundreds of thousands of lads and girls his age do in this country, nothing more and nothing less. As I said earlier, when he arrives at the Gate later in the season he's an opposition player, nothing more, nothing less.

I think the highlighted bit you've written above is a bit childish to be honest. It's all about lovers and 'aters with some of you ain't it..............

Yep I have been very critical of TC and the the events leading up to this. However, I don’t wish him ill will. I do think we have higher potential replacements now but it is good for everyone to move on and wish each other well. 

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Nah mate. I just spend 500 quid a year on season tickets plus travel expenses etc for the fun of it. 

Why you ask? 

I wasn't having a go Sir, it was a genuine question based on my own observations. You seem very negative about our club so the question was asked with all possible respect.

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I wasn't having a go Sir, it was a genuine question based on my own observations. You seem very negative about our club so the question was asked with all possible respect.

The post you replied to wasn't a negitive post. 

I do think there are issues within the club yes. 

The whole Tommy Conway /Twine/No 10 situation has taken away a lot of excitement for the new season. 

But if you think I'm negitive, take a look at the last two match day threads and some of the reactions. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I did this the other week, when asked the same.  Based on the circumstances / situation I said I hoped we might get a fee of £3m (but sort out £2.5m give or take £0.5m).  That’s accepting an amount way less than we quoted one club a few weeks back when it all blew-up, which put them off.

I'm confused by this.  The question related to your comment that we had not got the value for Conway (at £4.5M) but you are saying you expected £3M?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Can just see Jones getting to the byeline and pulling back to Conway for a tap-in after smart movement.

Too true. Abd I'm sure the Boro fans will choose a chant for Tommy that doesn't defile one of the greatest songs of the 80s.

2 hours ago, Ashtongreight said:

I agree if Boro play to his strengths he’ll flourish and score well into double figures, he’s a natural finisher. 

Judging by Boro at Leeds last night he'll be fine. With us he was isolated without support and service. He was even told not to make runs in behind.

Boro on the other hand played, dare I say, aggressive front foot football with quick forward passes and lots of runners. A big difference from us passing the ball around slowly ending with a terrible cross or pass.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Chivs said:

I'm confused by this.  The question related to your comment that we had not got the value for Conway (at £4.5M) but you are saying you expected £3M?

I said his current “market” value is low because of the situation we found ourselves in, probably around the £2.5m mark, and that I hoped we might get £3.0m.  That’s not what I value him at.  He’s a far better player than £2.5m, that’s basically Boro exploiting the situation we put ourselves in.

The club themselves didn’t value him at that low a price either…they were asking interested clubs for significantly more a few weeks ago.  They’vee ended up accepting a bid far lower (assuming it goes through) than they thought.

(£4.5m is very unlikely to be the transfer fee, it’s likely to be inclusive of add-ons….eg 2.5+2 or 3+1.5)

edit: perhaps better if I’d worded it as “this is what I think re are resigned to getting”?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Judging by Boro at Leeds last night he'll be fine. With us he was isolated without support and service. He was even told not to make runs in behind.

Boro on the other hand played, dare I say, aggressive front foot football with quick forward passes and lots of runners. A big difference from us passing the ball around slowly ending with a terrible cross or pass.

Away from home in front of 35k those from Boro must have had an absolutely brilliant home journey. Very impressed with their speed and directness, last season their league start was abysmal yet they still only fell just short of a play-off spot. As you stated "aggressive front foot football with quick forward passes and lots of runners". Get the feeling from a coaching angle that Conway will be loved for what he can do rather than what he can't. May not have been the move he coveted but perhaps with Carrick at the helm will elevate the stature for both of them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@downendcity totally, it’s football.  I think we lost value on Tommy, not by banishing per se, and without going over the contract stuff, by the whole approach to trying to sell him.  I think they thought he’d sign an extension, and they missed the window whilst losing interested clubs with a stupid price tag.

We lost value on Tommy the minute he refused to sign a new contract.

Re stupid pice tags, I've just watched a Ben HD's latest championship rumours video on you tube in which he mentions Coopers transfer from Plymouth to Sheff U. He says that Plymouth wanted the sale to go through as Cooper is going into the last year of his contract, but there were problems getting the transfer completed because Plymouth wanted 6m for their keeper. In the end the deal was completed for £2m rising to £4m with add ons.

Everyone can argue about how the club has handled it, but the harsh reality is that when a player refuses to sign a new contract, it's clear that he's winding his contract down, and if we want to call a spade a spade he's essentially done this for his financial advantage. The moment he is running his contract down he and his agent are in control. The club can have all the interested parties in the world lined up, but if the player doesn't want to move there's nothing the club can do about it. 

As far as stupid price tags are concerned, looking at other transfers and players wages I wonder just where stupid starts these days when it comes to football finances!

• Like 8
  • Facepalm 1