IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

33 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

He trained with the 21s today so would imagine this will end quickly 

Hope this is true. Is it?

Because it might encourage the player to push for a move now (the Rangers article suggests they're happy to sit on their hands until next summer and get the player for a small compo fee only).

And if we can get rid now, for any sort of fee, we might just have the funds we obviously lack at present for Twine + a decent no.9.      

So I'd be trying to strike any sort of deal now, doesn't matter for how much - just so long as that income made the difference in enabling deals for a no.9 & a no.10.  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

• Admin
46 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

He trained with the 21s today so would imagine this will end quickly 

That was more to do with the rest of the squad getting ready for Cheltenham

• Confused 1

He might be poorly advised from a bristol city point of view, but if he has a contract in the offing from rangers or celtic, on x thousand a week in front of 50000 fans by not signing here, he would be mad to extend here! It does seem though that hes happy to leave knowing his transfer value would make a difference to the club and people that brought him through, so on that basis, **** him!

I’ve been really mixed on this one this evening.

In fact the more I think about it the more heavy-handed it feels.  Happy to be in the minority on this one.

I get the “he’s not committed” line, but that’s only that he’s not committed to signing a new deal.  Nobody has intimated he’s not committed to putting in a shift in training or games.  He’s not wanted to sign a contract for 12 months, and that’s not meant putting him in the u21s previously.  What’s changed in terms of his commitment?  Very little / nothing it seems.

It doesn’t feel like a good way to sell him for as high a fee as possible, nor get him to extend his contract.

Feels like putting him on the naughty step when he hasn’t really done anything wrong.

I just hope it all works out for both parties.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What does Conway lack then out of interest.

I am just wondering, said it before what he lacks vs peers. To me he ticks a lot of boxes for a decent fee and reasonable amounts of interest even in this the final year of his deal.

His goal per game ratio is far from prolific especially if you exclude penalties.  My estimate if you deduct penalties is less than 1:4 .  Even under NP he had long streaks without scoring.  I appreciate age and required playing style need to be taken into account.

• Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In fact the more I think about it the more heavy-handed it feels.  Happy to be in the minority on this one.

I get the “he’s not committed” line, but that’s only that he’s not committed to signing a new deal.  Nobody has intimated he’s not committed to putting in a shift in training or games.  He’s not wanted to sign a contract for 12 months, and that’s not meant putting him in the u21s previously.  What’s changed in terms of his commitment?  Very little / nothing it seems.

It doesn’t feel like a good way to sell him for as high a fee as possible, nor get him to extend his contract.

Feels like putting him on the naughty step when he hasn’t really done anything wrong.

Even if he did train with under 21’s today could be lots of reasons , fitness training etc , if it continues maybe so but I think it is to early to jump to absolute conclusions 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agreed- mostly.

He doesn't seem the type to throw his toys out or down tools, it's a difficult one really- and if it was a case that we would get a real committed Conway for a full season that would be no bad thing.

The problem is, will he be playing full tilt knowing he is off in the summer. It does put us in a tricky position too.

27 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

His goal per game ratio is far from prolific especially if you exclude penalties.  My estimate if you deduct penalties is less than 1:4 .  Even under NP he had long streaks without scoring.  I appreciate age and required playing style need to be taken into account.

League- Excluding penalties

14 from 64, plus 4 Assists.

Age 20 and 21 in Season 1 and 2.

He had two medium term injuries too, especially in his first season.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Obviously, I have absolutely no idea what is going on within City and, more to the point, between LM and TC, but has LM really put TC on the naughty step?

Is it not possible that, having missed the trip to Portugal due to his ‘recuperation’ after his involvement in the Euros, there has been some form of mutual agreement that, rather than go straight into the intensive training that (presumably) the first team are undergoing, TC (and perhaps RMcM) are being eased back gently - especially given TC’s hamstring history?

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

For some extra context, last season he had a conversion % the same as Iheanacho, 2% less than Jay Stansfield and Liam Delap. 22/23 he had the tied 3rd best conversion rate in the league for CF's, we just haven't created enough chances for him even if last season was poor by his own standards. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 5

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What's changed is he's nearer contract end, our recruitment requirements right now, our need to get some sort of fee, any fee, not just chump change compo when he signs a pre-contract in 6 months.

You're being too soft. The position Conway and his agent have now put us in requires hard headed, decisive thinking - i.e. get rid.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What's changed is he's nearer contract end, our recruitment requirements right now, our need to get some sort of fee, any fee, not just chump change compo when he signs a pre-contract in 6 months.

You're being too soft. The position Conway and his agent have now put us in requires hard headed, decisive thinking - i.e. get rid.

Why should Conway be signing a deal right now? It puts any club interested in him off completely if it doubles the price they'd have to pay this window, if anything its likely City have stuck too high a price on his head for a team to consider making a move. With Twine and Burnley's position every City fan seems to say 'well we need to stick to this and not meet their asking price then move on if they don't accept it'. Why's it so different from our position on Conway? And how does it make it Conway's fault if teams don't want to bid for him because City have priced him out of a move?

Edited by Lrrr
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I can see each perspective..

For Conway he likely wants to test himself higher. Whether that's taking a chance at a top 6 Championship club or Rangers/Celtic or elsewhere. I don't buy into this he's being advised wrong because ultimately it'll be his decision. Wages will also play a huge part as it always does. 

I guess fans feel like he owes us a little more. He's not exactly outgrown us. The club nurtured him through the academy, gave him a chance (and to his credit he took it) and at a fairly early enough opportunity he's been looking for the exit. The factor of potentially moving to Scotland and us recieving tiny compensation probably doesn't help (although that speculation could be nothing)

With Manning he has mentioned he wants a commited team. Now I'm not saying Tommy won't be committed on the field but I take that as meaning more than that. He wants someone who is committed on the field but also committed to the club i.e wants to be here. Clearly Tommy doesn't unfortunately. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

I don't buy into this he's being advised wrong because ultimately it'll be his decision. 

Yep, he must own the decision, whether agent influenced or not.

• Like 2

We don’t know the ins and outs and there may be a logical and innocent reason he’s with the 21’s. What I will say, though, is we don’t owe him an opportunity to put himself in the shop window at the expense of lads who will be busting a gut all season any more than he owes us a signature on a contract.

For me the answer is you include him in the squad and use him if and when we need him. If we end up not needing him and he’s still here cos Rangers ain’t that desperate to sign him then that’s his problem not ours.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Similar to the Massengo situation isn’t it? I’d imagine the club is fed up with the contract and therefore would prefer to focus on the players who are committed and then one of the youngsters would fill his spot. Would also make sense regarding the Armstrong rumours and why it’s happening now rather than after the Conway sale

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Why should Conway be signing a deal right now? It puts any club interested in him off completely if it doubles the price they'd have to pay this window, if anything its likely City have stuck too high a price on his head for a team to consider making a move. With Twine and Burnley's position every City fan seems to say 'well we need to stick to this and not meet their asking price then move on if they don't accept it'. Why's it so different from our position on Conway? And how does it make it Conway's fault if teams don't want to bid for him because City have priced him out of a move?

I'm advocating selling him. Yesterday.

Not him re-signing.

8 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Similar to the Massengo situation isn’t it? I’d imagine the club is fed up with the contract and therefore would prefer to focus on the players who are committed and then one of the youngsters would fill his spot. Would also make sense regarding the Armstrong rumours and why it’s happening now rather than after the Conway sale

Nige continued to play Han-Noah until his performance wasn’t good enough v Brum (Bentley too) and he felt others deserved a chance.  He still trained with first team until he went on loan.

All I can hope is that it (whatever “it” is) gets sorted asap.

• Like 1

If we're only getting £300K at the end of the coming season, regardless of whether he plays or not, send him on loan somewhere for a fee, somewhere where it can't affect us. Get Rangers / Celtic / another Jock club to pay us a loan fee and get rid.

He doesn't want to be here and I support Bristol City, not Tommy Conway, so would rather see those that DO want to be here.

Any loan fee, however small, is to our benefit as we get the £300k anyway.

Hardball time City, sod Tommy 'want away' Conway.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

If we're only getting £300K at the end of the coming season, regardless of whether he plays or not, send him on loan somewhere for a fee, somewhere where it can't affect us. Get Rangers / Celtic / another Jock club to pay us a loan fee and get rid.

He doesn't want to be here and I support Bristol City, not Tommy Conway, so would rather see those that DO want to be here.

Any loan fee, however small, is to our benefit as we get the £300k anyway.

Hardball time City, sod Tommy 'want away' Conway.

I agree, but if he doesnt want to go, we cant make him. And we cant sell him either unless he feels its in his interest to go to that club, its shite!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He doesn't seem committed to making us a good fee , despite developing him throughout.

If he wants to sign a pre-contract with a Scottish club in January then he should spend the next year with the under 15s or something 

• Like 5

Manning has told TC if he doesn’t want to be here then he can go. As from today he’s now making him train with the u21s - as has been stated already. His first day training with U21’s was today. 

We are now actively trying to move him on. Burnley are showing interest which could either complicate or enhance our chances of landing Twine.

It’s now just a question of when and where we sell him to. 

Edited by Corsham Alf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Midred said:

Is Tommy's problem that he believes that he should be joining his mate down at Bournemouth and they've not shown any interest in him?

Tommy’s problem is that BCFC’s ambition doesn’t match his own. I don’t blame him for that. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, he must own the decision, whether agent influenced or not.

I think the turning point was his house mate getting a big money move and the relationship they both had with Nige, which all felt a little deflating when Manning took over.

I also think the Manning formation/style of play really doesn't suit him. Under the new system he has had less chances to convert. I still maintain that with Nige here, his style of play, he signs no question.

My gut feeling [& that's all it is] is the longer he stays here under Manning's style of play, his possibility of career progress diminishes in his eyes. I don't think its anything to do with him not liking it here. He's had a taste of what top football will be like with his Euro selection for the Scottish squad and wants more while his star is on the rise. Nobody could blame him.

As far as the rest of us and the club are concerned we can't have another Dhiedhou situation where we lost a lot of money because his contract ran down whether you blame the player or club's handling.

The other point to consider is the type of striker the club are now actively pursuing with the Fally signing and the pursuit of the lad from QPR. Both are not exactly Conway type of players. I am sure that will also have a bearing on his decision not to commit.

Let's see how the club's negotiating skill set is in dealing with the two big Scottish clubs goes. I don't hold out much hope on that one.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, tin said:

Tommy’s problem is that BCFC’s ambition doesn’t match his own. I don’t blame him for that. 

Some truth I agree but we can onky go so far on the finance front- but we can go further than we are too.

Would he like £20k per week, £25k per week?

Another £5-10m into the Transfer budget- would be interesting to know how it could be quantified. Albeit I know what he me and, it feels like we are a bit lacking in some areas.

8 minutes ago, Swede said:

I think the turning point was his house mate getting a big money move and the relationship they both had with Nige, which all felt a little deflating when Manning took over.

I also think the Manning formation/style of play really doesn't suit him. Under the new system he has had less chances to convert. I still maintain that with Nige here, his style of play, he signs no question.

My gut feeling [& that's all it is] is the longer he stays here under Manning's style of play, his possibility of career progress diminishes in his eyes. I don't think its anything to do with him not liking it here. He's had a taste of what top football will be like with his Euro selection for the Scottish squad and wants more while his star is on the rise. Nobody could blame him.

As far as the rest of us and the club are concerned we can't have another Dhiedhou situation where we lost a lot of money because his contract ran down whether you blame the player or club's handling.

The other point to consider is the type of striker the club are now actively pursuing with the Fally signing and the pursuit of the lad from QPR. Both are not exactly Conway type of players. I am sure that will also have a bearing on his decision not to commit.

Let's see how the club's negotiating skill set is in dealing with the two big Scottish clubs goes. I don't hold out much hope on that one.  

You hit the nail on the head!

Conway isn’t good enough to create his own opportunities and relies a great deal on balls played to him on a plate or pens 

The club have identified forwards with pace & power who have attributes that can create different situations and chances 

TC is a box player and doesn’t have the physicality required for the style LM wants to implement 

53 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I agree, but if he doesnt want to go, we cant make him. And we cant sell him either unless he feels its in his interest to go to that club, its shite!

Stiffs then, we lose nothing and he sits on his arse for 12 months.

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Stiffs then, we lose nothing and he sits on his arse for 12 months.

We pay his wages with no return.

One of our saleable assets diminishes.

The course of action we’re taking is specifically to avoid this.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Nige continued to play Han-Noah until his performance wasn’t good enough v Brum (Bentley too) and he felt others deserved a chance.  He still trained with first team until he went on loan.

All I can hope is that it (whatever “it” is) gets sorted asap.

Admittedly started the season in the squad but still went back to the U21 until he was loaned out. Also Pearson said in an interview that he was really annoyed with him waving goodbye in the last game of the season the year before and said around him not wanting to be there.

Agree around the second point completely

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We pay his wages with no return.

One of our saleable assets diminishes.

The course of action we’re taking is specifically to avoid this.

It doesn't look like we will see a return regardless Graham, outside of £300k.

Sell him now, loan him for a fee or,once the deadline passes, let him rot.

We will still get our £300k and use players that want to be at BCFC, not a player that thinks he's too good for us.

27 minutes ago, Swede said:

Agree with most of that Swede.  I don’t think Nige was getting him to sign either.

15 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Conway isn’t good enough to create his own opportunities and relies a great deal on balls played to him on a plate or pens 

The club have identified forwards with pace & power who have attributes that can create different situations and chances 

TC is a box player and doesn’t have the physicality required for the style LM wants to implement 

That is the hope.

My big unknown is how they’d fit with Twine, because as per my reply on another thread to Robbored, LM seemed to think Twine and Conway was a perfect combo.

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

We will still get our £300k and use players that want to be at BCFC, not a player that thinks he's too good for us.

It’s only £300k if he goes “abroad” (inc Scotland).  If he gets a move in this country it will be more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Still a while until that’s definitely the case.

I’m hopeful we can move him on by August 30th.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

It’s only £300k if he goes “abroad” (inc Scotland).  If he gets a move in this country it will be more.

We can still let him and his ego rot once the deadline passes Dave, with all possible respect to you.

Imagine the crowd reaction if he plays? Sod him.

We can still let him and his ego rot once the deadline passes Dave, with all possible respect to you.

What has he done wrong, other than not sign a contract?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

What has he done wrong, other than not sign a contract?

Fair question.

If he doesn't want to be here Dave, while others do, why play him? I would rather see those that DO want to be here rather than a player with his attitude to our club.

Edited by Ska Junkie

36 minutes ago, INCRED said:

He compares favourably to many in the age bracket at the level.

Suggests to me that the strategy could be wrong. Fally and Sinclair with Wells around while okay, feels like midtable again.

Another midtable season.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

It may just be me but I really don’t see the point in some of the unpleasant comments regarding Conway.

People questioning his attitude or saying he has some sort of ego.

Contracts work both ways and at the moment he is choosing not to sign a new one, that’s his choice.

As far as I know and unless someone can tell me otherwise he has always fulfilled his obligations towards the club with regards to his contract and that’s all he has to do.

Ultimately when it’s suited the club they’ve been happy for players contracts to run down when that player was no longer part of the clubs plans.

Thats football, so why the need for the unpleasantness.

If Conway stays I’ll support him if he's on the pitch for us and if he goes I’ll wish him well.

• Like 10
  • Robin 1

And not play new signings that actually want to play for us? Sorry ST, I don't agree. 

I doubt these new signings started their football careers dreaming of playing for Bristol City.

They’ve had an offer that suits their plans for career progression and no doubt they’ve been offered a bigger wage than they were on.

They’re not playing for City because they love the club like we fans do, they’re doing it because it’s their job

21 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

So he's likely not got a move because City have set his valuation too high, yet its Conway getting the stick from everyone because he's not moved? Hard too see how Conway can do anything about it if the club don't have an offer they can accept because of their own stupidity 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I doubt these new signings started their football careers dreaming of playing for Bristol City.

They’ve had an offer that suits their plans for career progression and no doubt they’ve been offered a bigger wage than they were on.

They’re not playing for City because they love the club like we fans do, they’re doing it because it’s their job

They have chosen to be here then, whereas Tommy has chosen not to be. I know who I would rather watch moving forward.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

So he's likely not got a move because City have set his valuation too high, yet its Conway getting the stick from everyone because he's not moved? Hard too see how Conway can do anything about it if the club don't have an offer they can accept because of their own stupidity 

I've no idea if that's the case Lrrr. What we do know is TC has had a 'very good offer' in front of him for 12 months and hasn't signed it. He wants away and the club seemingly lose an appreciable sum.

They have chosen to be here then, whereas Tommy has chosen not to be. I know who I would rather watch moving forward.

They’re all just contracted players, they’re just at different points in their contracts.

If it suits the club to play Conway then they will regardless of his contract situation.

Likewise if they choose not to then again it’s their decision.

Only time I’d have a problem with Conway was if he was refusing to play or train and personally I don’t think he’ll do that.

• Like 4

I've no idea if that's the case Lrrr. What we do know is TC has had a 'very good offer' in front of him for 12 months and hasn't signed it. He wants away and the club seemingly lose an appreciable sum.

If you have a depreciating asset that you want to move on you don't hold onto a value you know you're not going to obtain allowing it to decrease to a minimal sum

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, Lrrr said:

If you have a depreciating asset that you want to move on you don't hold onto a value you know you're not going to obtain allowing it to decrease to a minimal sum

If he's sold in this window, fine but if he isn't, that's exactly what we've done, surely?

Just now, Lrrr said:

Which brings me back to a prior point I make.

Where is Conway falling short- we've seen in recent years other players who have done less by Conway's age and career path go for more.

We have seen Delap go at £15m rising to £20m- what is a fair price.

2 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

They’re all just contracted players, they’re just at different points in their contracts.

If it suits the club to play Conway then they will regardless of his contract situation.

Likewise if they choose not to then again it’s their decision.

Only time I’d have a problem with Conway was if he was refusing to play or train and personally I don’t think he’ll do that.

I don't have a problem.with TC, I don't know the lad but, just my opinion, I would rather see the contracted players at the start of their time here rather than TC. If he's still here at the closure of the window, what's the point in playing him?

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What is a fair price though.

We don't want to sell him too cheap. Some of the bids mooted are frankly insulting

For me about £5m with a fair sell on of profit when you compare him to some other transfers/rumours

• Kieffer Moore £2m to £3m ish, effective at the level but old with no resale value
  • Troy Parrott just under £7m but he'd just come off the back of a 17 goal season
  • Our rumoured bid of Sinclair Armstrong at £2.5m, also 1 year left, while a poor scoring record but Armstrong is a great physical profile for potential

I didn't include Delap as that's just batshit crazy price which is well out of keel for the market, Ipswich seem to be stuck on English players so there was limited options. 

Edited by Lrrr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Which brings me back to a prior point I make.

Where is Conway falling short- we've seen in recent years other players who have done less by Conway's age and career path go for more.

We have seen Delap go at £15m rising to £20m- what is a fair price.

A player is only worth what another team is willing to pay, it’s irrelevant what we may want for him.

This could be another situation where we might want more competent people than we currently have doing our transfer business.

• Like 1

Stand Off Reaction GIF by Jimmy Arca

Tommy being ill advised no big offer incoming. Therefore get ready for training in the U21 no improvement plan no mentoring from Nahki  

His agent needs to but out and get  Tommy to sign the contract and at least have some chance of showing what clubs what he can do and the offer s will come 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

For me about £5m with a fair sell on of profit when you compare him to some other transfers/rumours

• Kieffer Moore £2m to £3m ish, effective at the level but old with no resale value
  • Troy Parrott just under £7m but he'd just come off the back of a 17 goal season
  • Our rumoured bid of Sinclair Armstrong at £2.5m, also 1 year left, while a poor scoring record but Armstrong is a great physical profile for potential

I didn't include Delap as that's just batshit crazy price which is well out of keel for the market, Ipswich seem to be stuck on English players so there was limited options. 

Thanks, this seems a sensible range.

I agree with this. £5m with a decent sell-on.

What did Cannon go to Leicester for? I know that was 2023 but a comparable?

1 minute ago, Back of the Dolman said:

A player is only worth what another team is willing to pay, it’s irrelevant what we may want for him.

This could be another situation where we might want more competent people than we currently have doing our transfer business.

True and true.

I am intrigued about if it is us or if it is the market per se.

2 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Er . . . Good luck on that score.

• Like 1

Just now, hertsexile said:

Stand Off Reaction GIF by Jimmy Arca

Tommy being ill advised no big offer incoming. Therefore get ready for training in the U21 no improvement plan no mentoring from Nahki  

His agent needs to but out and get  Tommy to sign the contract and at least have some chance of showing what clubs what he can do and the offer s will come 

If we were to get in Fally, Sinclair and a new deal for Conway perhaps with fair buyout clause suddenly that could be transformative IMO. Maybe the penny will drop.

A happy and motivated Conway could be an undoubted positive although probably wishful thinking by me.

I don't have a problem.with TC, I don't know the lad but, just my opinion, I would rather see the contracted players at the start of their time here rather than TC. If he's still here at the closure of the window, what's the point in playing him?

For me there's a difference between not playing him and prioritising others to essentially dismissing him from the first team group. Conway is hardly likely one to kick up a fuss, would likely have got on with the job professionally even if he's told he's down the pecking order because of his own choice. Conway seemed to be well liked in the group, how does this now effect other players he's friends with? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What did Cannon go to Leicester for? I know that was 2023 but a comparable?

£6m - £8m range I believe, lower goal output but wasn't last year of contract I don't think, also Leicester were on parachute payments and had the most expensive wage bill in Championship history so perhaps likely to spend bigger. I don't see the three relegated teams this season as ones who are going to go out spending big fees on players. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

For me there's a difference between not playing him and prioritising others to essentially dismissing him from the first team group. Conway is hardly likely one to kick up a fuss, would likely have got on with the job professionally even if he's told he's down the pecking order because of his own choice. Conway seemed to be well liked in the group, how does this now effect other players he's friends with? 

Fair. His friends are gonna have to get used to him not being there regardless.

Do I think he will kick up a fuss? No.

Do I think he will do a Fam and down tools? No.

Do I think he will be a negative in the squad? No.

Do I want him playing in front of others when the deadline is past, if he's still here? No.