IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

Feels like a good move for Tommy this, good luck to him. Good for everyone that this has now been resolved and will be good for everyone if he’s successful. 

Carrick has been very well backed again…..having a striker like Latte Lath and still being able to spend on one of your rivals best strikers really shows their ambition. Fair play. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Feels like a good move for Tommy this, good luck to him. Good for everyone that this has now been resolved and will be good for everyone if he’s successful. 

Carrick has been very well backed again…..having a striker like Latte Lath and still being able to spend on one of your rivals best strikers really shows their ambition. Fair play. 

In a team that creates loads of chances ( not sure if Boro are this) I can see Conway easily scoring 20 - 25 goals at this level as his finishing is excellent, he's had to feed off scraps for the last couple of years so will be interesting to see how he goes elsewhere

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

In a team that creates loads of chances ( not sure if Boro are this) I can see Conway easily scoring 20 - 25 goals at this level as his finishing is excellent, he's had to feed off scraps for the last couple of years so will be interesting to see how he goes elsewhere

If his finishing had been 'excellent' he would be going better than 'Boro and for 10m.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I said his current “market” value is low because of the situation we found ourselves in, probably around the £2.5m mark, and that I hoped we might get £3.0m.  That’s not what I value him at.  He’s a far better player than £2.5m, that’s basically Boro exploiting the situation we put ourselves in.

The club themselves didn’t value him at that low a price either…they were asking interested clubs for significantly more a few weeks ago.  They’vee ended up accepting a bid far lower (assuming it goes through) than they thought.

(£4.5m is very unlikely to be the transfer fee, it’s likely to be inclusive of add-ons….eg 2.5+2 or 3+1.5)

edit: perhaps better if I’d worded it as “this is what I think re are resigned to getting”?

I expected we’ll have a sell on clause in the deal too. Seems pretty standard these days, we’d be foolish not to, IMHO.

COYR.

5 minutes ago, Tangle Foot said:

I expected we’ll have a sell on clause in the deal too. Seems pretty standard these days, we’d be foolish not to, IMHO.

COYR.

Yeah, I hope so / expect so, but we were in a tough negotiating position.

Keith Downie no longer using the word “fee” and saying £4.5m includes the add-ons.

image.thumb.png.8a72b33edad1f10c2dfc08163dfe2fed.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, I hope so / expect so, but we were in a tough negotiating position.

Keith Downie no longer using the word “fee” and saying £4.5m includes the add-ons.

image.thumb.png.8a72b33edad1f10c2dfc08163dfe2fed.png

But the important bit as said is ‘ the majority up front ‘ with some add ons , so🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cotswoldred2 said:

If his finishing had been 'excellent' he would be going better than 'Boro and for 10m.

Tommy did well with what he was given to work with. 

I think when Tommy starts playing for Boro will our fanbase realise what we've lost. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Kibs said:

And our lack of

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Technicality majority could be anything over £2.25m..

I'm thinking £2.5-3m up front.

Behave why always look at in the worst light for the club ? 
As said from the little bit I know no way we agree to that , we were not taking a small amount and a load of empty ifs and buts , one of the reasons this had not happened quickly, why we need to put us down all the time I really don’t know , any other team getting 4.5 million we would expect 3.5 /4 and add ons , even with TC’s scenario 😤

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

As said from the little bit I know no way we agree to that , we were not taking a small amount and a load of empty ifs and buts , one of the reasons this had not happened quickly, why we need to put us down all the time I really don’t know , any other team getting 4.5 million we would expect 3.5 /4 and add ons , even with TC’s scenario 😤

I hope you are right but tbh I've looked at one or two other reported clubs breakdown of deals and it had been 50-60%, 2/3 up front and the rest conditional. Miovski seems to be an example.

If we have done better I'll praise. It is probably a reasonable deal in the circs in any case.

15 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

It’s not putting us down necessarily, it’s just Mr P adding to the conversation.  FWIW from what I heard it’s not as much as what you think / been told and not as low as £2.5m either.  Who knows?  He could accuse you of always trying sugar-coat in City’s favour couldn't he?

Your generalisation is just that, a generalisation.  Ellis Simms reported as £8-9m I’m led to believe was £3.5m transfer fee, something like £5m in add-ons of which £3m+ was a promotion add-on.  There is no standard, each transfer is unique.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s not putting us down necessarily, it’s just Mr P adding to the conversation.  FWIW from what I heard it’s not as much as what you think / been told and not as low as £2.5m either.  Who knows?  He could accuse you of always trying sugar-coat in City’s favour couldn't he?

Your generalisation is just that, a generalisation.  Ellis Simms reported as £8-9m I’m led to believe was £3.5m transfer fee, something like £5m in add-ons of which £3m+ was a promotion add-on.  There is no standard, each transfer is unique.

Really not trying to sugar coat anything, as said no one knows for sure , far from a happy clapper but I suppose tbh I tend to try to look at things evenly as possible not from an agenda driven point of view as quite a few on here do ( not saying you or Mr P in that group) and just saying some of the negative stuff boils my piss sometimes 

Edited by Cov 77
  • Like 6

17 hours ago, Monkeh said:

TC has out grown the club, like a number of our young talent,

He's no different then Bryan, Reid, scott

Absolute nonsense. I’m not hating him, but he hasn’t earned a move and he hasn’t out grown us. A move is way too early for him. He’s not even our best player. 
When Semenyo, Scott, Bryan and Reid left, they had earned their move. 

Conway isn’t at that point - proven by the fact he’s getting a sideways move!

Maybe this season would have been the season where he got 20 goals, but we’ll never know now 

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Absolute nonsense. I’m not hating him, but he hasn’t earned a move and he hasn’t out grown us. A move is way too early for him. He’s not even our best player. 

Maybe this season would have been the season where he got 20 goals, but we’ll never know now 

For the type of player he is, staying at City under Manning would not have best suited his development. Manning has different needs and requirements in a forward (which is fine BTW), as seen by his 2 forward signings, and his lack of use of Wells. Indeed, would Manning look to sign a player like TC? I doubt it. He just does not fit his plan. Outgrown us, no that is not true, but Boro are a bigger club, and have played in the Prem, and will almost certainly end the season above us.  Carrick is also building a very strong reputation, building on his coaching at `Man Utd (not the player) We get a net transfer fee of millions from an academy player, we lose a player that did not fit the head coach's plans, and we helped fund the signing of 2 forwards that do meet his needs. That's football. If we could sell an academy player for £5M plus every season we will be doing a wonderful job. 

This was a footballing decision for TC, not financial. There was Prem interest, but, as it seems TC knows, he is not there yet and needs another step, and that means games, and not being a Prem teams project. Looking at how Boro battered Leeds the other night, he may well be proven it was the right decision for him. 

In any case, I just look at it as another academy success and a multi million transfer income that helps justify the academy cost. Well done the academy, Tinnion, the coaches,  and everyone who developed TC into a multi-million asset sale.

Just think how Bournemouth felt when Kelly, who cost them £20M as a teenager, ran his contract down and left for zero. 

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

Sideways move, really? Boro are what we are aspiring to be, a genuine top 6 team and having watched them dismantle Leeds the other night potentially top 2.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Tommy did well with what he was given to work with. 

I think when Tommy starts playing for Boro will our fanbase realise what we've lost. 

We've lost a good player who had no interest in remaining at the club. Life goes on.

• Like 3

Prob same as us, media announcement timing wise for max attention / reach. Most signings announced later in the day when people on their phones / not at work / browsing this forum when they should be working 😇 etc 😂 

2 hours ago, RollsRoyce said:

For the type of player he is, staying at City under Manning would not have best suited his development. Manning has different needs and requirements in a forward (which is fine BTW), as seen by his 2 forward signings, and his lack of use of Wells. Indeed, would Manning look to sign a player like TC? I doubt it. He just does not fit his plan. Outgrown us, no that is not true, but Boro are a bigger club, and have played in the Prem, and will almost certainly end the season above us.  Carrick is also building a very strong reputation, building on his coaching at `Man Utd (not the player) We get a net transfer fee of millions from an academy player, we lose a player that did not fit the head coach's plans, and we helped fund the signing of 2 forwards that do meet his needs. That's football. If we could sell an academy player for £5M plus every season we will be doing a wonderful job. 

This was a footballing decision for TC, not financial. There was Prem interest, but, as it seems TC knows, he is not there yet and needs another step, and that means games, and not being a Prem teams project. Looking at how Boro battered Leeds the other night, he may well be proven it was the right decision for him. 

In any case, I just look at it as another academy success and a multi million transfer income that helps justify the academy cost. Well done the academy, Tinnion, the coaches,  and everyone who developed TC into a multi-million asset sale.

Just think how Bournemouth felt when Kelly, who cost them £20M as a teenager, ran his contract down and left for zero. 

Does TC know he’s not ready? I get the feeling he feels he’s too good for us now. 

31 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Sideways move, really? Boro are what we are aspiring to be, a genuine top 6 team and having watched them dismantle Leeds the other night potentially top 2.

There’s isn’t much between the clubs. Every chance we could finish above them. We’re both established champ clubs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, Riaz said:

Jilted bride syndrome here. 

Clearly he has earned the move, hence why he's moving. 

One minute you're saying the move is too early for him and the next you're saying it's a sideways move. Make your mind up. 

How can you describe Boro as a side ways move? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's not a massive step up, but it is a step up. Bigger fan base, bigger club, bigger history. 

Conway was never going to get 20 goals under a head coach that didn't like his style. 

He may well get 20 goals for Boro, a team who his style will fit. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

Does TC know he’s not ready? I get the feeling he feels he’s too good for us now. 

There’s isn’t much between the clubs. Every chance we could finish above them. We’re both established champ clubs.

Thanks for giving me some Friday morning giggles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RollsRoyce said:

Bournemouth I thought turned down significant bid(s) for Kelly.

Very much self-inflicted in a sense.. I'm sure but I'm sure there was a decent sized Tottenham bid reported in late 2023 Window and crucially when we were just about managing with FFP, Newcastle were linked with a major bid after Howe took over there with a strong Sell-On Clause in our favour had it gone through.

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

From the owner, to the head coach, to the best starting eleven.. we’ve got nothing that they would want or swap. No chance that we’ll finish above them.

Wouldn’t want to live up there though..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FNQ said:

From the owner, to the head coach, to the best starting eleven.. we’ve got nothing that they would want or swap. No chance that we’ll finish above them.

Apart from all of that, not much between the two clubs 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Riaz said:

Spot on, no way is he the modern Chris Garland, I would say he was more the Peter Spiring (the one Liverpool took a punt on and never played a game ).

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bournemouth I thought turned down significant bid(s) for Kelly.

Very much self-inflicted in a sense.. I'm sure but I'm sure there was a decent sized Tottenham bid reported in late 2023 Window and crucially when we were just about managing with FFP, Newcastle were linked with a major bid after Howe took over there with a strong Sell-On Clause in our favour had it gone through.

Another reason to hate ****** Bournemouth...........selfish ***** !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

Another reason to hate ****** Bournemouth...........selfish ***** !

Yep. I remember a £50m bid mooted in January 2022 when they were under Parker at this level, Howe had just taken over at Newcastle as had the Saudis..between the two winciss, they needed to spend as Mike Ashley frankly didn't and they were in a relegation battle.

Whether the £50m interest was true Idk but could be..I think we stood to gain 15% of any Profit on Disposal..£13m or was it £15m we sold him for.

£5.25m or £5.55m if my recollection is accurate.

• Robin 1

22 minutes ago, FNQ said:

You ever been up there, away from the main cities?

They have everything we would love to have! A stunning coastline, integrated transport systems including rail, metro and trams, some wonderful countryside and very welcoming people!

Being a footballer in vast wages I doubt he will live in the Middlesbrough, Sunderland or Newcastle slummy bits!

Same as our footballers don't live in Hartcliffe, Horefield or Barton Hill!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

45 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Apart from all of that, not much between the two clubs 🤣🤣

How many places do you think will separate us from Middlesbrough at the end of the season?

I will suggest less than 6 so, No, not much between the clubs!

I think the club have played an absolute blinder here.

£4.5M for a player who is out of contract at the end of the season. £4.5M for a player who has not attracted attention from the Premier League.

Placing TC in the U21s, and giving a clear indication to our other players, and agents, that we will not countenance playing a player who is not committed to the club. Superb work by the club and Manning.

For what it is worth, I think Tommy has been a great servant to the club, and I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up.

• Like 6

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Jilted bride syndrome here. 

Clearly he has earned the move, hence why he's moving. 

One minute you're saying the move is too early for him and the next you're saying it's a sideways move. Make your mind up. 

How can you describe Boro as a side ways move? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's not a massive step up, but it is a step up. Bigger fan base, bigger club, bigger history. 

Conway was never going to get 20 goals under a head coach that didn't like his style. 

He may well get 20 goals for Boro, a team who his style will fit. 

I'm guessing that Tommy doesn't care what fans think ( I don't mean that in a bad way) but that he has confidence in his own ability, just as he would had a premier league team come in for him. 

A player's career is relatively short, and they know that all their potential ( playing and financial) can vanish in an instant if they suffer serious injury, so who can blame them for wanting to maximise their talent when  opportunities arise - wherever they may be?

Do fans somehow "punish" academy graduates in these circumstances for failing to show loyalty to the club that gave them their start in the game?

How many fans have started working for a company that invests a lot in them by way of training and experience. Then, just as the company expects a return on that investment, the employee takes their new found knowledge and experience to a new employer that offers better pay and/or prospects and doesn't even have to pay a transfer fee - in these circumstances do they think they owed the first employer loyalty?

You can almost guarantee that TC will get a hat trick on his debut and that he will score against  us, just to further antagonise City fans who feel aggreived over this transfer saga!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, frenchred said:

You ever been up there, away from the main cities?

They have everything we would love to have! A stunning coastline, integrated transport systems including rail, metro and trams, some wonderful countryside and very welcoming people!

Being a footballer in vast wages I doubt he will live in the Middlesbrough, Sunderland or Newcastle slummy bits!

Same as our footballers don't live in Hartcliffe, Horefield or Barton Hill!

Quite, some very nice places around Harrogate and Ripon for starters......all within half an hour of Middlesbrough.

9 minutes ago, Chivs said:

How many places do you think will separate us from Middlesbrough at the end of the season?

I will suggest less than 6 so, No, not much between the clubs!

I think the club have played an absolute blinder here.

£4.5M for a player who is out of contract at the end of the season. £4.5M for a player who has not attracted attention from the Premier League.

Placing TC in the U21s, and giving a clear indication to our other players, and agents, that we will not countenance playing a player who is not committed to the club. Superb work by the club and Manning.

For what it is worth, I think Tommy has been a great servant to the club, and I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up.

We ain’t getting £4.5m Chivs.

• Like 1

Fair play to TC. This is where we are in the food chain (unfortunately). Hopefully the money is / has been reinvested wisely and we progress. It’s always going to be gradual if anything at all. To be fair to him, he’s conducted himself admirably on the face of it. I’ll continue to watch on and hope he makes us more money on his next move. 

Good luck to him.

Don't blame him at all for wanting to join Boro, it's a step up to a bigger, better run and more ambitious club.

After the way the manager who gave him his chance and brought him through here  was removed from the club, if I was him I would of done exactly the same.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Need Google Translate unless you speak Italian too but anyway.

https://www.ukcalcio.com/2024/08/calciomercato-middlesbrough-tutto-fatto-per-tommy-conway/

Believe me, if you’ve followed this all the way through the last 60 pages on here, Google translate will tell you nothing more than you already know!

Interesting that it is complimentary about our “flourishing academy”, one of the best in England. 

• Like 1

Just now, italian dave said:

Believe me, if you’ve followed this all the way through the last 60 pages on here, Google translate will tell you nothing more than you already know!

Interesting that it is complimentary about our “flourishing academy”, one of the best in England. 

That was my main takeaway really!

The praise for our academy. One of the best in England is possibly a bit far but there is a lot to praise.

• Like 2

Glad to see UKcalcio mentioned here: I wrote there some years ago, it's still a nice blog. 😁

Anyway, no extra news, like Italian Dave said. 

Disappointed about Conway's decision, but I am quite confident that Mayulu can be a good replacement (less sure about Armstrong).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spudgun said:

Good luck to him.

Don't blame him at all for wanting to join Boro, it's a step up to a bigger, better run and more ambitious club.

After the way the manager who gave him his chance and brought him through here  was removed from the club, if I was him I would of done exactly the same.

Yes, but it's still not what him and his crappy agent envisaged would happen !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Alls we need now is one of the best - or in the 20 - first X1s

• Robin 1