IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

I expect he'll get a negative reception in February if he plays albeit time is a healer etc.

Some of the vitriol on the FB City Pages and Social Media..it's a passionate sport but not taken well. Easier to vent online of course.

Hopefully a few boo's. Tired of players coming to AG and getting a friendly and warm reception. I want AG to be a fortress where away players don't enjoy playing.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

Hopefully a few boo's. Tired of players coming to AG and getting a friendly and warm reception. I want AG to be a fortress where away players don't enjoy playing.

I expect Scott and Semenyo wouldn't especially Scott get too much stick but Conway..the way it has been done etc too. Disappointing.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I expect Scott and Semenyo wouldn't especially Scott get too much stick but Conway..the way it has been done etc too. Disappointing.

Those two did their part at City, went for very good money and to a Premier League team. A mild applause would do, but not sure Conway deserves a friendly welcome imo. As long as it doesn't get personal and nasty I see nothing wrong with some stick.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro
2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Reaction on social media has been embarrassing, level of bitterness is unreal. Good luck to Conway, just not too much against City. 

The majority of what you see on twitter and the like will be petty 16 year olds. Don’t get it personally but it will always be like that. 

Just now, George Rs said:

The majority of what you see on twitter and the like will be petty 16 year olds. Don’t get it personally but it will always be like that. 

I think there's plenty of petty 56 year olds on there as well.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

Hard to know how much it was Conway wanted to leave vs. How he’s been handled by the club and his new deal offer.

Without “beating the club with another stick” - I really hope we don’t look over at him kicking onwards and upwards and we’ve sacked Manning in 6 months time….

Anyway, life goes on and good luck to Tommy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Reaction on social media has been embarrassing, level of bitterness is unreal. Good luck to Conway, just not too much against City. 

What is it they are bitter about? Sounds to me 50/50 at best and from I’ve heard the club have been pretty poor in all this.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, Northern Red said:

The online reaction is further evidence of my long-held belief that at least 90% of people who tweet about football should not be allowed unsupervised access to the internet.

Makes me think he will get an unpleasant reception in the return to AG, if he plays but that's football whether merited or not.

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The online reaction is further evidence of my long-held belief that at least 90% of people who tweet about football should not be allowed unsupervised access to the internet.

Or the knife drawer.

• Haha 2

I bet he’s on twice as much money at Boro as we offered so can’t blame him. 

As much as some of us don’t like to admit it, it’s a slight upward step - working under quite an exciting young manager at a club that’s historically bigger than ours - the downside being that Boro is an absolute shit hole (although clearly he’ll not live there!)

The career of a footballer is short, so you won’t find me posting vitriol on social media. 

Id have preferred him to stay, but I won’t be losing any sleep over it. 

Edited by Fordy62
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, One Team said:

What is it they are bitter about? Sounds to me 50/50 at best and from I’ve heard the club have been pretty poor in all this.

Yes, no one gets upset when the club spin things in a different way viz Scott, Semenyo (maybe Kelly, IDK if he wasn't going to sign a new contract.)

And on the other hand, what about the othet pros we have in the last year of their contracts that haven't been offered a new one ...

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 1

Earnt the club millions. Scored some cracking goals. Will never forget West Ham away.

Boro are a good club, well set up, and wish him and them the best (apart from when we play them).

• Like 2

I rarely go to Twitter (X) and I certainly won’t be breaking that general rule today. 

However what is the general reception out there in key board warrior land?

For my tuppence. It’s good it’s done! I have a lot of sympathy for the kid and his situation plus I personally tend to factor in the mess created by the Pearson departure. Nevertheless if you want to run a contract down and you have let that known it’s better for all!

Maynard didn’t while implying he might sign. The Lansdowns saw 5 mil slip through their fingers. That could not happen again!  

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Piercy saying it’s £5 million mostly upfront.

I've criticised over a range of issues.

IF this turns out to be true or if it is all but in the bag with a series of tap-in add-ons taking it to that ballpark, I will praise the hierarchy.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

How many fans have started working for a company that invests a lot in them by way of training and experience. 

I don't think it is especially helpful to compare the career of a footballer with a 'normal' career.

A normal career involved an employer, and an employee. Two parties.

A footballer is an employee, the club an employer, and then the fanbase is a third stakeholder.

The fanbase pays the employer to be entertained and serviced by it's employees. The fanbase also builds an emotional, albeit it detached, relationship with the player.

Some fans will have idolised Tommy. Its just so much messier than a normal job.

Having said all that, in the weird and wonderful world of football transfers, I don't think Tommy has done anything wrong.

Whether he would be better off here is open to debate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

A bit different to the gushing Alex Scott departure announcement. 

People seem hell bent to see what isn't there.  Club did a nice "boy to man" post on Insta.

Starboy going to a Prem club for 1 of our largest ever fees was always going to make a bigger splash than TC going to a rival from the same league for a few million.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I bet he’s on twice as much money at Boro as we offered so can’t blame him. 

As much as some of us don’t like to admit it, it’s a slight upward step - working under quite an exciting young manager at a club that’s historically bigger than ours - the downside being that Boro is an absolute shit hole (although clearly he’ll not live there!)

The career of a footballer is short, so you won’t find me posting vitriol on social media. 

Id have preferred him to stay, but I won’t be losing any sleep over it. 

Tbf I don’t think it’s about the money at all, Hull offered him more money so he would’ve gone there if that’s the case. I don’t have much against him it’s clear he had a lot of affection for the club, fact of the matter is him and his agency have pushed for a prem move when he’s ended up at a side which we did the double over last season. 

1 minute ago, mozo said:

I don't think it is especially helpful to compare the career of a footballer with a 'normal' career.

A normal career involved an employer, and an employee. Two parties.

A footballer is an employee, the club an employer, and then the fanbase is a third stakeholder.

The fanbase pays the employer to be entertained and serviced by it's employees. The fanbase also builds an emotional, albeit it detached, relationship with the player.

Some fans will have idolised Tommy. Its just so much messier than a normal job.

Having said all that, in the weird and wonderful world of football transfers, I don't think Tommy has done anything wrong.

Whether he would be better off here is open to debate.

He's done what he thinks is best to progress his career so good luck to the lad.

What does make me laugh are those that focus on losing a "home grown player".  If you look at it logically then every player is "home grown" to one club or another. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

X and OTIB's opinions on Conway couldn't be further apart its hilarious.

Usually I'd agree with the more sensible OTIB view on things, but on this occasion I think the X City fans are more in the right 🤣

39 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Class, to be fair.

Yep and some of the replies are absolutely pathetic. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve no affinity to Tommy Conway but its football, it’s just how it works!

That people go out of their way to write hateful shite like that really does say a lot more about them than Tommy Conway.

It will always be like this unless we reach a position where players don’t need to leave in order to get what they want.

Good luck to the lad. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kibs said:

Yep and some of the replies are absolutely pathetic. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve no affinity to Tommy Conway but its football, it’s just how it works!

That people go out of their way to write hateful shite like that really does say a lot more about them than Tommy Conway.

It will always be like this unless we reach a position where players don’t need to leave in order to get what they want.

Good luck to the lad. 

Retweet

• Like 1

Almost 2 years since that game against Cardiff where he scored in the 2-0 and City were genuinely playing exciting football and had a few academy players at the time. Shame to see it end this way but understand he has to do what's best for his career.

Wish him all the best but even so would like to see a hostile atmosphere for him for 90 mins on the Friday night when Boro come to AG.

“Conway was confirmed as a Boro player on Friday afternoon, signing a four-year contract and despite reports in the north east claiming the Championship club had agreed a £4.5million fee for the Scotland international, Bristol Live understands the total package to be £5m, of which the majority is up front.“ - Piercey

5m with a majority up front is pretty brilliant considering the circumstances, fair enough city. 

4 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Rightly so. 

No. 

He has dedicated his whole career to us. 

We couldn't reach an agreement on extending our relationship. That's life. 

I wish him all the best for the future and I'll watch on with interest how his career develops. The better Tommy Conway does, the better it is for us because of the add ons. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I hope he doesn't get booed, just hope he doesn't play well against us. 

Can't hate him for ambition. Whether your opinion on Boro is ambition or not. 

I agree, can’t believe some of the comments from grown men are pathetic.

ultimately he’s a bloke doing a job who’s just gone to work somewhere else.

I would imagine most people on here have done exactly the same.

Just wish the guy well and off he goes.

All the bitterness and abuse I’ve seen on social media is an embarrassment.

• Like 3

Just now, George Rs said:

“Conway was confirmed as a Boro player on Friday afternoon, signing a four-year contract and despite reports in the north east claiming the Championship club had agreed a £4.5million fee for the Scotland international, Bristol Live understands the total package to be £5m, of which the majority is up front.“ - Piercey

5m with a majority up front is pretty brilliant considering the circumstances, fair enough city. 

There were many people on here who claimed we would only get a million for him. 

5 million is brilliant in the circumstances but it is less than what we could have got. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We ain’t getting £4.5m Chivs.

With the greatest of respect, as i am aware of your continuing,  and ongoing finger on the pulse position?  But  I am inclined to believe Piercy , when he states that the package will eventually reach 5 mill, all things being equal?   I can see that the initial payment maybe around 3 Mill, but there appears to be no reason to doubt that the eventual figure won't come to 5 big ones......as long as TC performs as expected?    Shame the little git didn't opt for Burnley, as that would have been really helpful? (Tongue in cheek mode!)  Especially as I believe that Burnley will go up as Champions................Must be the glittering lights and renowned night life of Funky Teeside that swung it?  ( And Carrick)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

No. 

He has dedicated his whole career to us. 

We couldn't reach an agreement on extending our relationship. That's life. 

I wish him all the best for the future and I'll watch on with interest how his career develops. The better Tommy Conway does, the better it is for us because of the add ons. 

What on earth are you on about he dedicated his whole career to us 😂 He’s literally just moved clubs. 

6 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Some of the comments on here and social media are embarrassing. Good luck to the bloke. No wonder he’s shot off. 

In all fairness while I agree there is a lot of embarrassment, a majority of Clubs fans would be the same I expect. Perhaps all.

• Flames 1

42 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Hard to know how much it was Conway wanted to leave vs. How he’s been handled by the club and his new deal offer.

Without “beating the club with another stick” - I really hope we don’t look over at him kicking onwards and upwards and we’ve sacked Manning in 6 months time….

Anyway, life goes on and good luck to Tommy. 

I was told he was offered a decent contract but his head was turned, whatever that means. 

My opinion of Conway is, I don’t think he’s as good as he thinks he is. He wasn’t actually prolific last season and if we would have had a decent striker at the club he wouldn’t have started half the games he did. 

Watched the highlights of the Leeds v Boro game the other night and Conway had better be on his game if he thinks he’s going to be a regular starter for Boro. 

if we got £5 Million for him, we haven’t done bad!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

There were many people on here who claimed we would only get a million for him. 

5 million is brilliant in the circumstances but it is less than what we could have got. 

No way did City get £5m for Conway - possibly £3m at best.

The brilliant news is that Twine has signed and with George Earthy on a season long loan. Those two really strengthen the engine room