IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

15 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

'up the Boro' 

In a faltering voice.

Yep he really wanted the Celtic move, I mean what real Scot wouldn't?

Especially as you end up only playing around half a dozen serious/challenging games a season with Celtic?. (Plus..... Maybe a couple of European games, possibly?)    At least he is ambitious and confident enough in his own ability to set himself a proper test of 46 Championship games to prove himself?

7 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Some of the comments on here and social media are embarrassing. Good luck to the bloke. No wonder he’s shot off. 

Don’t wish him ill, but certainly don’t wish him well.

If he’d gone to prem club fair enough, but this is a sideways move to another mid table club.  Poorly advised and not bright enough to realise it.

Top marks to the club for yet again selling well.

• The title was changed to Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official
1 minute ago, Robbored said:

No way did City get £5m for Conway - possibly £3m at best.

The brilliant news is that Twine has signed and with George Earthy on a season long loan. Those two really strengthen the engine room 

Has that been confirmed on the Official Site?

• Haha 1

Just now, Malago said:

Don’t wish him ill, but certainly don’t wish him well.

If he’d gone to prem club fair enough, but this is a sideways move to another mid table club.  Poorly advised and not bright enough to realise it.

Top marks to the club for yet again selling well.

Let’s judge this at the end of the season. If Boro aren’t in the top 6 / he’s sat on the bench all season then fair enough. Boro are a step above us, no doubting that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No way did City get £5m for Conway - possibly £3m at best.

The brilliant news is that Twine has signed and with George Earthy on a season long loan. Those two really strengthen the engine room 

But you dont know that, given Hull interest and others its quite likely the deal could have been approaching the 4.5m quoted

5 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Let’s judge this at the end of the season. If Boro aren’t in the top 6 / he’s sat on the bench all season then fair enough. Boro are a step above us, no doubting that. 

In your opinion.  We did the double over them last season and iirc finished above them.  

2 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

But you dont know that, given Hull interest and others its quite likely the deal could have been approaching the 4.5m quoted

Unlikely given the remaining contract at City.

As with virtually every transfer the usual from clubs is ‘undisclosed fee’.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

It says "Undisclosed Fee" but you KNOW it's maximum £3m. Do you get access to a different official site?

I thought you were asking about Twine…………:dunno:

Just now, Robbored said:

Conway was confirmed as a Boro player on Friday afternoon, signing a four-year contract and despite reports in the north east claiming the Championship club had agreed a £4.5million fee for the Scotland international, Bristol Live understands the total package to be £5m, of which the majority is up front

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

A shame, but time to move on. No doubt City have a sell on fee, so personally hope he does well (except against us of course), and City recieve further add ons when that eventually happens. Can imagine a TC penalty against us at the Gate later in the season! 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I thought you were asking about Twine…………:dunno:

You said no way did we get £5m for Conway, no more than £3m.......that's what I was referring to. Doesn't matter!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know we'd have loved Tommy to become the £10m player we could have had, but I presume this is still one of biggest outgoing transfers in the City record books? Beneath Webster and Scott I'd imagine there's a hefty drop off?!

Edited by mozo

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

I know we'd have loved Tommy to become the £10m player we could have had, but I presume this is still one of biggest outgoing transfers in the City record books? Beneath Webster and Scott I'd imagine there's a hefty drop off?!

Lloyd Kelly £13m, Semenyo £10m.....he might be in the Top 5...at best see @George Rspost below. He's not even close.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, mozo said:

I know we'd have loved Tommy to because the £10m player we could have had, but I presume this is still one of biggest outgoing in the record books? Beneath Webster and Scott I'd imagine there's a hefty drop off?!

Bryan, flinty, semenyo, reid, kelly, kodja there’s still quite a few. Tommy might just sit outside the top 10 i’d guess. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mozo said:

I know we'd have loved Tommy to become the £10m player we could have had, but I presume this is still one of biggest outgoing in the record books? Beneath Webster and Scott I'd imagine there's a hefty drop off?!

Kelly £13m?

Semenyo was £9-10m iirc..

Brownhill was £9m I thought.

I forget how high Bryan and Reid were. One of them was £10m though I'm sure.

37 minutes ago, marksy said:

I was told he was offered a decent contract but his head was turned, whatever that means. 

My opinion of Conway is, I don’t think he’s as good as he thinks he is. He wasn’t actually prolific last season and if we would have had a decent striker at the club he wouldn’t have started half the games he did. 

Watched the highlights of the Leeds v Boro game the other night and Conway had better be on his game if he thinks he’s going to be a regular starter for Boro. 

if we got £5 Million for him, we haven’t done bad!

Out of interest, how good do you think he thinks he is?

You’ve heard on here from a couple of people like Ron Walker than Tommy wasn’t expecting a move to the Prem League this summer. He was also entertaining the idea of going to Celtic.  So I’m not sure Tommy thinks he’s as Godoy as you think he thinks he is! 😉

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It says "Undisclosed Fee" but you KNOW it's maximum £3m. Do you get access to a different official site?

Just get Tins on Radio Bristol in a couple of weeks and we’ll know the exact amount. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, how good do you think he thinks he is?

You’ve heard on here from a couple of people like Ron Walker than Tommy wasn’t expecting a move to the Prem League this summer. He was also entertaining the idea of going to Celtic.  So I’m not sure Tommy thinks he’s as Godoy as you think he thinks he is! 😉

Let’s see how he gets on at Boro? I fully expect them to be up around the top this season. 
Good finishers in front of him, he’ll need to improve his form in front of goal if he expects to play regularly 

1 minute ago, marksy said:

Let’s see how he gets on at Boro? I fully expect them to be up around the top this season. 
Good finishers in front of him, he’ll need to improve his form in front of goal if he expects to play regularly 

I'd make him 2nd to or next vs Latte-Lath.

Coburn I think he is better than.

Forss maybe, maybe not. He can play wider iirc.

Delano likewise.

Hoppe not among their frontline options.

His conversion rate last year League Only excluding penalties was around 10%. Was markedly better in 2022-23 of course..the same exercise is needed to strip out penalties and related shots for strikers to get a true picture.

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Conway was confirmed as a Boro player on Friday afternoon, signing a four-year contract and despite reports in the north east claiming the Championship club had agreed a £4.5million fee for the Scotland international, Bristol Live understands the total package to be £5m, of which the majority is up front

Smoke and mirrors……..:cool2:

Fact is that none of know how much City actually got for T.C.

Just now, Robbored said:

Smoke and mirrors……..:cool2:

Fact is that none of know how much City actually got for T.C.

I agree none of us know on here, but would give more credence to the the 2 journalists than your gut feel it was under 3m. The fact we waited and had other interest suggest it would be more than 3m.

But as you say we don't know, and always it's undisclosed,

7 minutes ago, willy bedlock said:

Ungrateful little so & so , money grabber , disrespectful to the club that gave him his chance & spent on his development 🤢🤢🤢

Or alternative view, bloke leaves workplace and moves to another one.

Baffles me that people have this mindset.

If the club don’t want a player anymore they let the contract run down and don’t offer them another one.

Club suits itself, players come and go.

Life’s to short for people to get wound up and bitter over a player leaving.

• Like 14

30 minutes ago, willy bedlock said:

Ungrateful little so & so , money grabber , disrespectful to the club that gave him his chance & spent on his development 🤢🤢🤢

17 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Forget someone by starting another thread about them.

25 minutes ago, broodje said:

season 13 GIF

Covers it!

• Like 1

The way I look at these things is how much did he cost us? You’ve got the coaches wages as he came through the academy and then when he signed pro his wages. But we’ve got a deal for five million and two seasons where we got a return on that investment in terms of goals. 

Are all the people who are commenting about loyalty still working for the same firm they joined after leaving school. I’ve got around eighty staff and I train them and I coach them and I invest in their development. And you know what some times they leave. Some times for more money, some times for better opportunities and some times just for a fresh start.  Football is a job - granted a very well paid one - but it’s still a job and the same applies..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, willy bedlock said:

None of us know the circumstances so best we just button our lips

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

Take it down.  You sound pathetic Brian.

Edited by The Bard
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

No some people just aren’t immature or bitter about someone leaving.

His career, his choice.

His career, his choice, my choice.

If he's left us then I hope he breaks his legs in his first training session and never scores again.

He is not a City player and doesn't have the track record to be a City legend.

I hope he goes to his next club and is deeply unsuccesful, I hope he scores no goals and I hope he struggles to feel part of the team. Why would I feel anything else? We have a problem at this club with being overly enthusiastic about players who have moved on. Scott, Kelly, Reid, whoever - I hope Conway is shit for Middlesborough and has an awful career now he's left us. If he never scores a goal again I'lll be pleased. Let me be clear,m I hope he never scores again. **** him. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 10

Football is a short career and you're only ever one bad tackle away from it all ending.

Tommy has done what is right for Tommy. We move on without him, that's football.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

If he's left us then I hope he breaks his legs in his first training session and never scores again.

I hope he goes to his next club and is deeply unsuccesful, I hope he scores no goals and I hope he struggles to feel part of the team. Why would I feel anything else? We have a problem at this club with being overly enthusiastic about players who have moved on. Scott, Kelly, Reid, whoever - I hope Conway is shit for Middlesborough and has an awful career now he's left us. If he never scores a goal again I'lll be pleased. Let me be clear,m I hope he never scores again. **** him. 

Very sad way to think, you’re holding on too tight mate. 

22 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I think hoping someone breaks their leg over a careeer choice is a bit OTT tbh. It’s not like he’s disrespected the club with snide comments or anything.

Interesting interview with Manning though, I get the impression he couldn’t wait to get Tommy out of the door and seemed to hint that the players did well to avoid the distraction….whatever that was.

2 hours ago, willy bedlock said:

Are you joking until Bristol city football become more successful unfortunately this will keep happening. Think there is more to this than him being ungrateful.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Get a grip ffs , pathetic 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think hoping someone breaks their leg over a careeer choice is a bit OTT tbh. It’s not like he’s disrespected the club with snide comments or anything.

Interesting interview with Manning though, I get the impression he couldn’t wait to get Tommy out of the door and seemed to hint that the players did well to avoid the distraction….whatever that was.

Plenty of players and staff wishing him well on social media.

Doesn’t seem like the players had an issue with him 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Plenty of players and staff wishing him well on social media.

Doesn’t seem like the players had an issue with him 

It was just a strange interview. Might have been reading too much into it?

30 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Wow...just wow. 

Hoping a player breaks his legs and never scores again. That's mindless. 

Let's be clear, every City player, member of staff, and great majority of supporters wouldn't want you near this club with that mentality. 

Dare you to say it out loud down the ground. 

We have some right neanderthals supporting us. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

36 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

What about if we have sell on clauses, performance related bonuses etc?!?!?

• Like 1

Good luck to Tommy, he’s a professional footballer and whenever he played, he played to the best of his ability (and we’ve seen plenty of City players who’ve not.)

He would’ve played every game he was asked I’m sure, and with the same energy and passion as he did (including the friendly at Paulton 2 years ago), but he spent too long on the bench, and his agent obviously convinced him he’d get a better deal elsewhere (which he probably did)

I wish him well, will follow his progress, he is one of our own, but, he’s moved on, it was best for and him and he didn’t really have much choice.

just hope he doesn’t score against us

but would love him to get to the prem one day, he works hard and if he keeps working hard he deserves to reach the heights

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, spudski said:

Wow...just wow. 

Hoping a player breaks his legs and never scores again. That's mindless. 

Let's be clear, every City player, member of staff, and great majority of supporters wouldn't want you near this club with that mentality. 

Dare you to say it out loud down the ground. 

We have some right neanderthals supporting us. 

Got that prehistoric dna in me spudski.

I'd happily say it down the ground. I think the mentality around TC par excellence is what holds us back as a football club. I hope he is deeply unsuccessful at his future clubs. Why is that odd?

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd make him 2nd to or next vs Latte-Lath.

Coburn I think he is better than.

Forss maybe, maybe not. He can play wider iirc.

Delano likewise.

Hoppe not among their frontline options.

His conversion rate last year League Only excluding penalties was around 10%. Was markedly better in 2022-23 of course..the same exercise is needed to strip out penalties and related shots for strikers to get a true picture.

Missed a few sitters one on one last season. Most players can have a good game now and again but It’s those who are consistent that rise to the top. 
I think we done okay to get £5 million 

45 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

In truth there's more philosophical gesture than reality in what I said. I don't wish it on him as a person in truth - but I hope he suffers away from the club. We have no stake in him. I hope he's shit for everyone else he plays for. Is that weird? 

1 minute ago, ZiderEyed said:

Got that prehistoric dna in me spudski.

I'd happily say it down the ground. I think the mentality around TC par excellence is what holds us back as a football club. I hope he is deeply unsuccessful at his future clubs. Why is that odd?

You didn't say that. You said you hoped he broke his legs. Wishing that on any professional is just wrong. 

Last time I heard a fan shout for someone to get their legs broken, both sets of players and fans turned on him. Lucky to get out the ground unhurt. 

The mentality by all footballers, regardless of club, is to wish the best for their fellow professionals. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

You didn't say that. You said you hoped he broke his legs. Wishing that on any professional is just wrong. 

Last time I heard a fan shout for someone to get their legs broken, both sets of players and fans turned on him. Lucky to get out the ground unhurt. 

The mentality by all footballers, regardless of club, is to wish the best for their fellow professionals. 

I couldn't give a shit what the mentality of all footballers is. 

I don't wish Thomas Conway a positive career. Tough titties Spudders. 

He's left us. Youre not a professional footballer right now and neither am I. I hope he never has a good game ever again. 

• Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Reaction on social media has been embarrassing, level of bitterness is unreal. Good luck to Conway, just not too much against City. 

6 hours ago, Northern Red said:

The online reaction is further evidence of my long-held belief that at least 90% of people who tweet about football should not be allowed unsupervised access to the internet.

I came on here to write exactly the same thing.

Football fans aren't known for being the brightest bunch, but even by those low standards, the reaction on X has been spectacularly stupid.

This ongoing narrative of "Conway was expecting a Prem move, Conway thought he was too good to play for Bristol City, Conway was s**t anyway, etc" is absolutely insufferable.

Really disappointed with how this one has ended. Congratulations to our fanbase for making themselves look bitter and idiotic.

Edited by Supersonic Robin
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Cry more 

• Like 1