IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

25 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

If it was for free or £10m makes no real difference to me, it's not his responsibility to maximise his transfer fee is it? That's for the club to manage, and they didn't do it for whatever reason.

Not his responsibility, but it's in his interest to maximise his transfer fee as generally that means higher wages. He could've signed a deal with us last summer and earned a lot more money this year, but he chose not to, because he wanted to leave the club. 

If he had full confidence in his ability then signing a new deal wouldn't have stopped him making a big money move this summer. 

He chose early on to move on though, replicating what his roomie Scott did, fair enough.

The principal reason we didn't see a bigger return on Conway is simple, he didn't want to sign a new deal. The minute a player wants away, entering the final months/year of their contract, then the selling club's bargaining position is adversely impacted...

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The principal reason we didn't see a bigger return on Conway is simple, he didn't want to sign a new deal. The minute a player wants away, entering the final months/year of their contract, then the selling club's bargaining position is adversely impacted...

Yeah, and we may have benefited with the Twine/Burnley thing. Could very well be a case of ‘swings and roundabouts’. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Came on for Azaz, not Lath, as they were chasing the game. Think most people have Derby down to struggle this year, so poor result for Boro. Then again, they always seem to start poorly. 

Hopefully they've peaked two weeks before we play them!

Conway would have got no change against that Millwall defence today for sure. They would have had him in their back pockets. We did very well to get £5 million for him. 
Two quality strikers in his place, the future looks good for sure. 

• Like 6

Possibly regretting his move. As bad as Middlesbrough town centre might be, I’m not sure he should be resorting to the Colombian marching powder quite yet.

Actual screen shot from a Boro supporting friend from their website:

image.thumb.png.8596cd29913e11bf1308d1f79ad45550.png

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Got nothing against Conway at all but based off these first two games Mayulu and Armstrong are massive upgrades in so many ways.

We looked more of a threat offensively today than we have in any game in a long time

Agreed. I like Conway but Fally and Sinclair look better already. 

• Like 1

Young talent comes through the ranks

Young talent scores amazing goals, and makes it to the first team.

With the help of an experienced manager, the young player defines himself a role where he can successfully play in a team - not lone up front, but with a strike partner.

Young player continues to shine in a duo strike partnership, scoring brilliant goals and support of the team.

Strike partner suddenly goes out injured, with no replacement available due to inadequate board squad investment.

Young player starts getting unfair criticism for not being quality enough, when he is played upfront on his own due to no other strikers being available.

Club, unceremoniously, dumps manager, and new manager comes in.

New manager unfairly continues to be critical of young player.

Young player starts looking elsewhere.

Club responds by freezing him out.

Young player moves away.

Young player gets hate from the same fans who once cheered his name.

A sad story, but I saw this coming after the QPR game last year...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 11

1 hour ago, kmpowell said:

With the help of an experienced manager, the young player defines himself a role where he can successfully play in a team - not lone up front, but with a strike partner.

Young player continues to shine in a duo strike partnership, scoring brilliant goals and support of the team.

Strike partner suddenly goes out injured, with no replacement available due to inadequate board squad investment.

Young player starts getting unfair criticism for not being quality enough, when he is played upfront on his own due to no other strikers being available.

Young player moves away.

“Love” and “hate” rearing it’s head again. School playground stuff this love and hate…….

Worth noting that Middlesbrough generally play one up front so, as he would have if he stayed, Tommy needs to up his game like any other lad his age.

The club have signed two lads showing signs they can do it up front in a 1………one of them younger than Tommy.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, awbb said:

Possibly regretting his move. As bad as Middlesbrough town centre might be, I’m not sure he should be resorting to the Colombian marching powder quite yet.

Actual screen shot from a Boro supporting friend from their website:

image.thumb.png.8596cd29913e11bf1308d1f79ad45550.png

I doubt he’s regretting his move after 12 minutes of football!!

• Like 2

Young player moves away.

Come on, let's not make his departure now the fans fault. I'm firmly in the opinion that he's a success story for our club. He's more than paid for the investment we put into him during the academy days and recent seasons. On and off the field. So I definitely won't be booing him going forward. I understand he wanted to move and that's fine. It's football.

However let's not pretend fans weren't on his side and didn't rate him. He may of got criticism by some fans at times but the majority of fans really backed him at all times. The response to him leaving only just backs that up.

• Like 4

Young player moves away.

You imply that Tommy only started "looking elsewhere due to his treatment by Manning. However, IIRC he refused to sign a new and improved contract during Pearson's time in charge and surely that was the time that he started looking elsewhere - or at least was preparing to do so - as it seemed clear that from that point he was going to run his contract down so wanted to leave.

Don't get me wrong, I liked TC as a striker and think he was unlucky with injuries inhibiting his progress and , with hindsight, there are some aspects of this sage that the club could have handled differently.. However, his action in not signing a new contract backed the club into a corner. Not just because of the impact on his transfer value, but in terms of Manning's preparation for the upcoming season - how could , Manning, plan to include a player who clearly didn't want to be here, no matter how good he was, and no matter that Tommy could have maintained a positive attitude had he remained?

That he's gone seems to be the best solution all round. Tommy has a move with which he seems happy and can now get on with his career. We've come out with a decent fee - certainly better than the diddly squat we would have received had he stayed here until next summer - and have hopefully been able to build a better squad and one that looks like it could give us better attacking options, although time will tell on that front.

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

On 17/08/2024 at 14:52, Davefevs said:

That’s fair. I really disliked Cunningham too. Sly player. Not just the Flint stuff either. 

I’ll tell you what, though.

He was a fantastic player for us until he got injured - away to Peterborough?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

His injury in that game really was the turning point for us that season.

• Like 2

Yes we were relatively free scoring, there were goals at both ends.

The relatively free scoring continued a while longer.. League only.

Barnsley (A) 0-1 L

Crystal Palace (H) 4-1 W

Cardiff (H) 4-2 W

Nottingham Forest (A) 0-1 L

Blackburn (H) 3-5 L

Peterborough (A) 2-1 W

Watford (A) 2-2 D

Up to and including Watford Away in September.

(Relative free scoring didn't even entirely cease then but the solid start did).

That first 7 included Title Winners Cardiff, Play Off Winners Crystal Palace, Watford lost in the Final or Semi Final but they too lost in the PlayOffs.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Think we let him go & v soon after Joe B got crocked. Not a nice guy but a good full back at this level.

On 18/08/2024 at 12:24, Numero Uno said:

I doubt he’s regretting his move after 12 minutes of football!!

Indeed, the regret set in when he was shown around Middlesbrough!

I not writing off Tommy. We didn’t see the best of him in the past 18 months because a) Centre Forwards at this level rarely fully mature before the age of 23 (mostly due to physical strength in my view). b) I don’t think we saw a fully committed player since Scott left, which is totally understandable if he had his head turned.

Personally I think Tommy will prove himself to be a top Championship striker. I doubt he will step up to the next level due to lack of explosive pace, but he could prove me wrong.

1 hour ago, Scrumpty said:

Indeed, the regret set in when he was shown around Middlesbrough!

I not writing off Tommy. We didn’t see the best of him in the past 18 months because a) Centre Forwards at this level rarely fully mature before the age of 23 (mostly due to physical strength in my view). b) I don’t think we saw a fully committed player since Scott left, which is totally understandable if he had his head turned.

Personally I think Tommy will prove himself to be a top Championship striker. I doubt he will step up to the next level due to lack of explosive pace, but he could prove me wrong.

Would you swap him for Fally though? I wouldn't.

• Like 1

I agree, too early. Conway may turn out to be a better player, but even then he may not be suited to what we need. Armstrong gives us a new dimension, Fally appears to be a cool finisher (similar to Goater, as others have said).

18 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

I agree, too early. Conway may turn out to be a better player, but even then he may not be suited to what we need. Armstrong gives us a new dimension, Fally appears to be a cool finisher (similar to Goater, as others have said).

If he's half the player Goater was,then we're on a winner..

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

13 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

If he's half the player Goater was,then we're on a winner..

I particularly like Fally’s goal on Saturday. A great interchange and he’s through on goal. Given the scenario (3-2 down, having thrown away a goal lead, with time running out) how many strikers would have leathered it or dallied? Yet Fally coolly caressed it into the corner - a very classy finish in those circumstances.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Would you swap him for Fally though? I wouldn't.

Agreed, early days but Fally's an exciting forward who looks well capable of topping Conway's most productive season of 10 Championship goals.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

46 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Agreed, early days but Fally's an exciting forward who looks well capable of topping Conway's most productive season of 10 Championship goals.

I was looking at the Sunderland forum and there's quite a long thread on the Conway move. Interesting mix of views from some not having even heard of him, one loon who wanted to portray him as the worst player ever to set foot on a football pitch, quite a few saying it's a gamble given the cash being paid versus his record and a few wishing Sunderland had shown that ambition............

1 hour ago, Scrumpty said:

I particularly like Fally’s goal on Saturday. A great interchange and he’s through on goal. Given the scenario (3-2 down, having thrown away a goal lead, with time running out) how many strikers would have leathered it or dallied? Yet Fally coolly caressed it into the corner - a very classy finish in those circumstances.

Armstrong puts his foot through that and it probably ends up in the South Stand 8 times out of 10 in truth whereas Fally caressed it in with real class. Horses for courses though because Armstrong did the hard yards by physically stretching Hutchison and Cooper (they normally coast through it against us too) and when Fally came on they were shot, all over the shop when you look at the goals and chances we created in that last 20.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Conway wouldn't sign a new deal for Pearson, twice, or Manning, and in the end he wouldn't accept a great contract to stay at Bristol City.

He had obviously made up his mind to leave City a long time ago and I only hope the club doesn't big up young players so much in future - it can clearly go to their, and their agents', heads, and also make some fans overly attached to individuals - something SL famously warned us not to do.

Will Conway's career prosper more at Middlesbro' than it would have done by staying at City? Nobody knows, time will tell.

Did I grow so fond of Conway that I'll follow his career closely hoping he'll be a great success? Nope.

City have come out of this really well imo. with an uncommitted player now gone and replaced by 2 exciting prospects in Fally and Armstrong who look like they mean business.

It's looking like excellent work by all involved.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

21 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Armstrong puts his foot through that and it probably ends up in the South Stand 8 times out of 10 in truth whereas Fally caressed it in with real class. Horses for courses though because Armstrong did the hard yards by physically stretching Hutchison and Cooper (they normally coast through it against us too) and when Fally came on they were shot, all over the shop when you look at the goals and chances we created in that last 20.

Sinclair runs defenders ragged for an hour, this buys Mayulu a yard of space and time when he comes on. 

If both manage to score in their time on the pitch, job's a good un. 

That's the theory, let's hope it works in practice. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Rare in recent times to find a Millwall team who were disorganised in defensive structure and disorganised in the press.  Some of that will be down to us, but even so, they normally make it very hard for us, even if they aren’t expansive themselves.  It was like someone had hacked them.  Meant a very entertaining game, and at 3-2 down we found a game where the opposition didn’t suck the life out of it.  Some very good goals, plenty of talking points too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Sinclair runs defenders ragged for an hour, this buys Mayulu a yard of space and time when he comes on. 

If both manage to score in their time on the pitch, job's a good un. 

That's the theory, let's hope it works in practice. 

Sure there will be plenty of times when it works the other way too and we bring Armstrong on to batter a tiring back four for the last half hour.

2 minutes ago, Lappy1 said:

Fally, Armstrong and Twine look like great business to me. 

Great hopes for Hirakawa & Earthy too.

A really exciting squad now assembled imo, with entertainment and goals (as well as wins) very much on the cards.

Exciting football has been mostly lacking at AG for many years now, at last it looks like we may have the players to provide it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Rare in recent times to find a Millwall team who were disorganised in defensive structure and disorganised in the press.  Some of that will be down to us, but even so, they normally make it very hard for us, even if they aren’t expansive themselves.  It was like someone had hacked them.  Meant a very entertaining game, and at 3-2 down we found a game where the opposition didn’t suck the life out of it.  Some very good goals, plenty of talking points too.

Millwall probably got off the bus expecting a certain kind of game, the one we normally give them, it didn't happen and defensively they never recovered from that opening 20 minutes (even at 3-2 up we were playing through them).

• Like 2

I may be being super harsh, but I wonder if MOL is a tad disappointed with the 3rd goal. It's a lovely strike, but more stroked than smashed & MOL did seem to get v close to it.

Bear in mind I did wonder if the Hull keeper could have done better with Fally's goal last week so I may just be anti - goalie!

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Millwall probably got off the bus expecting a certain kind of game, the one we normally give them, it didn't happen and defensively they never recovered from that opening 20 minutes (even at 3-2 up we were playing through them).

Think someone said (possibly you) that Hutchinson and Cooper normally have an afternoon with their slippers on against us.

2 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

I may be being super harsh, but I wonder if MOL is a tad disappointed with the 3rd goal. It's a lovely strike, but more stroked than smashed & MOL did seem to get v close to it.

Bear in mind I did wonder if the Hull keeper could have done better with Fally's goal last week so I may just be anti - goalie!

He did get a good hand on it but it looked to me like he wasn't properly set for the shot and wasn't able to get enough of a dive in. What did make me laugh, however, was the two absolute loons behind me who were incredulous that he never saved the first goal...............bite yer lip time!!

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think someone said (possibly you) that Hutchinson and Cooper normally have an afternoon with their slippers on against us.

Definitely said similar. Hutchinson looks world class every time we play them and you wonder why Millwall is his limit. Saturday showed us why. Stuff of nightmares for him personally (and Cooper).

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Great hopes for Hirakawa & Earthy too.

A really exciting squad now assembled imo, with entertainment and goals (as well as wins) very much on the cards.

Exciting football has been mostly lacking at AG for many years now, at last it looks like we may have the players to provide it.

We've got to be a bit careful. We will have disappointing games and I think Armstrong will flip between World Beater and Panel Beater mode from time to time. The issue with some of our more "emotional" fans is that they will proclaim him to be the next Lukaku after a decent game and when he goes three without notching he'll be a 3 in 60 League 2 "at best" merchant and QPR clearly had our pants down.

Our fanbase love a good scapegoat and whilst Sam Bell is injured a few will be starting to panic.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We've got to be a bit careful. We will have disappointing games and I think Armstrong will flip between World Beater and Panel Beater mode from time to time. The issue with some of our more "emotional" fans is that they will proclaim him to be the next Lukaku after a decent game and when he goes three without notching he'll be a 3 in 60 League 2 "at best" merchant and QPR clearly had our pants down.

Our fanbase love a good scapegoat and whilst Sam Bell is injured a few will be starting to panic.

Wise words.

Got to say though. Where is the "can't trap a rat" Armstrong we kept hearing about. So far he's looked a decent front man. No wild shots or clumsy touches that I can remember??

48 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I was looking at the Sunderland forum and there's quite a long thread on the Conway move. Interesting mix of views from some not having even heard of him, one loon who wanted to portray him as the worst player ever to set foot on a football pitch, quite a few saying it's a gamble given the cash being paid versus his record and a few wishing Sunderland had shown that ambition............

I imagine you might find that range of views about TC on most Championship forums, although perhaps more pronounced on one of Middlesbro's close rivals.

We know Conway's got potential but unless he had a particularly outstanding game against their team most Championship fans won't know much about him. Getting in the Scotland squad when a number of their strikers are unavailable will also mean little to most.

He's still got everything to prove - some on here seem to forget he was 27th= in the list of Championship top scorers last season.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Well the good thing is if Armstrong does have a stinker or a run of bad form, we have Fally to come in to replace.

Before we’ve had so little depth and quality up front we’ve just had to hope that players play themselves into good form.

1 minute ago, grifty said:

Well the good thing is if Armstrong does have a stinker or a run of bad form, we have Fally to come in to replace.

Before we’ve had so little depth and quality up front we’ve just had to hope that players play themselves into good form.

Agreed....but now we've seen what he CAN do, if he does have a bad run or even just a stinker of a game it would be nice if some of our fans could lay off calling him a National League striker or similar.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I know, but I've been disgruntled with City's football for about 6 years years now, bored and frustrated in equal measure more often than not, and I see these 5 signings as a great step forward to perhaps bringing regular excitement and entertainment back to the Gate.

The Twine, Earthy and Hirakawa signings are all about taking the game to the opposition and creating chances so I expect there to be many more opportunities for the strikers, and more goals scored.

Both Armstrong and Fally are looking far better than I expected, ups and downs to come no doubt, but overall they are young and can surely only get better still so I think we've every reason to be optimistic.

• Like 8
  • Robin 1

55 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Conway wouldn't sign a new deal for Pearson, twice, or Manning, and in the end he wouldn't accept a great contract to stay at Bristol City.

He had obviously made up his mind to leave City a long time ago and I only hope the club doesn't big up young players so much in future - it can clearly go to their, and their agents', heads, and also make some fans overly attached to individuals - something SL famously warned us not to do.

Will Conway's career prosper more at Middlesbro' than it would have done by staying at City? Nobody knows, time will tell.

Did I grow so fond of Conway that I'll follow his career closely hoping he'll be a great success? Nope.

City have come out of this really well imo. with an uncommitted player now gone and replaced by 2 exciting prospects in Fally and Armstrong who look like they mean business.

It's looking like excellent work by all involved.

He was bigged up far too much for how good he actually was. I think he thought because Scott got a Prem move that he would too!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grifty said:

lets not forget nahki, hopefully get a few games where he does his stuff too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Sure there will be plenty of times when it works the other way too and we bring Armstrong on to batter a tiring back four for the last half hour.

Why would the opposition defence be tired if Mayulu starts? Can't see it, certainly not to the same extent when Armstrong starts. To my eyes, Mayulu's game doesn't look like it's about stretching defences and running them ragged, it's about unpicking them with skill and technique. 

If I was a CB, I know which I'd rather face for the first hour of a game.  

Armstrong played very well on Saturday, but I'm still mindful of the fact that he might not play that like that every week. So I agree with your comment about him being world beater and panel beater, btw. But even on a panel beater day when he can't hit a barn door with a banjo, he'll have given defenders a headache, to the extent Mayulu can then take advantage.

26 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I know, but I've been disgruntled with City's football for about 6 years years now, bored and frustrated in equal measure more often than not, and I see these 5 signings as a great step forward to perhaps bringing regular excitement and entertainment back to the Gate.

The Twine, Earthy and Hirakawa signings are all about taking the game to the opposition and creating chances so I expect there to be many more opportunities for the strikers, and more goals scored.

Both Armstrong and Fally are looking far better than I expected, ups and downs to come no doubt, but overall they are young and can surely only get better still so I think we've every reason to be optimistic.

Regarding Armstrong,I’ve seen comparisons with Semenyo on here, but if I had to make a comparison, albeit only having seen him play a couple of times, it would be Wayne Allison. Not the most skilful, but someone who will run through brick walls for you, get you a goal every 4or 5 games, and be appreciated by his teammates more than the fans (while he’s here). It’s a lot easier to look back on the contribution of the chief than it was to watch him 😂

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Why would the opposition defence be tired if Mayulu starts? Can't see it, certainly not to the same extent when Armstrong starts. To my eyes, Mayulu's game doesn't look like it's about stretching defences and running them ragged, it's about unpicking them with skill and technique. 

If I was a CB, I know which I'd rather face for the first hour of a game.  

Where did I say Mayulu is the same player as Armstrong? Don't recall saying that to be honest. Sinclair won't be starting every week throughout the season, there will be games where Fally gets the nod and SInclair comes on. Fally will stretch defences in a different way but what I do know is that if you've been playing football at high intensity for an hour and a fresh Armstrong comes on the opposition back four won't fancy that any more than they would fancy the other way round.

15 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Why is he putting on some sort of fake cockney accent in his radio Boro interview post match? 🤔

If he didn't say 'gert' he's dead to me...

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Regarding Armstrong,I’ve seen comparisons with Semenyo on here, but if I had to make a comparison, albeit only having seen him play a couple of times, it would be Wayne Allison. Not the most skilful, but someone who will run through brick walls for you, get you a goal every 4or 5 games, and be appreciated by his teammates more than the fans (while he’s here). It’s a lot easier to look back on the contribution of the chief than it was to watch him 😂

Dead ringer for Akinbiyi, for me. 

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Dead ringer for Akinbiyi, for me. 

Yep, heard that comparison too. I’d be amazed if Armstrong gets anywhere near the goal tally of Ade in his season in the second tier for us. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Yep, heard that comparison too. I’d be amazed if Armstrong gets anywhere near the goal tally of Ade in his season in the second tier for us. 

Indeed. I was thinking more that their emphasis on pace, power and 110% effort was comparable rather than their goalscoring. Would be lovely though, wouldn't it? We'd be in with a chance of leaving the division again, only this time through the front door not the back!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, glynriley said:

I don’t see any similarity between Semenyo and Armstrong, but I do see a lot of Emile Heskey - physicality and playing style.