IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

53 minutes ago, mozo said:

Do you know why?

It could be for various reasons - doubt its for the contract situation, as mentioned it didnt happen to Scott, Semenyo etc. Massengo was still training with the 1sts too. 

Could be due to a fall out, or simply to gain fitness before joining 1st team training. Ill give an update once I hear more

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Both Scott and Semenyo refused to sign contract extensions and were not "bombed out". 

Where have you got the "first opportunity" from? that's conjecture. He might be waiting for a very specific move, He might have been put off by Manning's tactical style or coaching. There's no way of knowing for sure. 

How will they feel if Nahki, a player we probably won't renew at the end of the season, plays? If we play Tommy and he plays well they'll work harder to get in the team. If they aren't like that then we've signed duds. (They will be like that).

Unless the player wanting to move is exceptional it is natural for a manager to give the other lads the first opportunity imo. If they take it then we will be saying “Tommy who?” and if they don’t he will get a chance whilst he is still our player. That’s the flip side of wanting to leave a club if nobody ends up wanting to pay the dosh for you. Occupational hazard!!

15 hours ago, Corsham Alf said:

Manning has told TC if he doesn’t want to be here then he can go. As from today he’s now making him train with the u21s - as has been stated already. His first day training with U21’s was today. 

We are now actively trying to move him on. Burnley are showing interest which could either complicate or enhance our chances of landing Twine.

It’s now just a question of when and where we sell him to. 

That was a suggestion I made some days back as it could be a resolution acceptable to both parties and resolve the impasse over the Twine fee

He is most certainly not 'one of ours' is he? 

His intended move is imo rather premature, no doubt seduced by Scotts move.

Personally I don't care much if he goes, rather that than having someone around that thinks he is better than he actually is, and in fact is very much ordinary. 

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Personally I don't care much if he goes, rather that than having someone around that thinks he is better than he actually is, and in fact is very much ordinary. 

If he signed a contract you wouldn’t be questioning why we have re-signed a very much ordinary player would you?. Conway is a good player but not a fantastic one currently imo. For me it’s a case of seeing what the other lads bring first, we know all about Tommy. If the recruitment is right we won’t miss TC that much but that doesn’t make him very ordinary, just a good player that wants out.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2

This revisionism about Conway by some is funny.

His record over 2 years by age, experience, comparables in the division does stand up to scrutiny.

It isn't outright top, but it is competitive and compares quite well.

All a separate issue to the contract stand-off of course but the record is the record and the comparables are the comparables.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

His record over 2 years by age, experience, comparables in the division does stand up to scrutiny.

All a separate issue to the contract stand-off of course but the record is the record and the comparables are the comparables.

It's like being dumped after a couple of years and telling all your mates she was only a stop-gap anyway.....................

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Unless the player wanting to move is exceptional it is natural for a manager to give the other lads the first opportunity imo. If they take it then we will be saying “Tommy who?” and if they don’t he will get a chance whilst he is still our player. That’s the flip side of wanting to leave a club if nobody ends up wanting to pay the dosh for you. Occupational hazard!!

Nobody is saying others shouldn’t get first dibs on places in the team, but why make him train with the u21s?  We didn’t do this with other players.  Bit of a sledgehammer isn’t it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I agree and also the suggestions about his character don't match up with him becoming the youngest Players Union Rep, not something you would equate with someone who is aloof and only in it for himself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nobody is saying others shouldn’t get first dibs on places in the team, but why make him train with the u21s?  We didn’t do this with other players.  Bit of a sledgehammer isn’t it?

You normally see a first team player training with the U21's as some form of punishment. That's what i don't like. He has done nothing wrong, other than not sign a contract, and i don't see how he should be punished. The manager might say, he is not part of his current plans, and that would be fair enough, but exclusion to the U21's is harsh imo. It does need resolving sooner rather than later, and i just hope Tommy hasn't overplayed his hand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Are the under 21s not at the same fitness level as first team? And if so why not? (does their season start later than ours?)

I thought they'd be at a similar level, and next Tues would be featuring in the earlier game?

I might be wrong as I'd fully admit I've no idea what I am talking about but my logic is

1) The Under-21s play less games across the season so there'd not be a need to quickly build fitness to the same intensity

2) Clubs are more mindful these days about the impact of overload on people whilst their bodies are developing so might not push younger teams to the same intensity to reduce the risk of a long-term injury/damage

The above could very possibly be nonsense and I'm happy to be corrected by anyone who knows that they are talking about! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Might be, might not be? Unless anyone knows the dialogue between Tommy and the club we are all guessing. Manning might well be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut  and, if so, he'll die on that hill but on the other hand Tommy may have told him in no uncertain terms that he has no interest in playing for him. As you say we haven't done it with other players and so there could be good reason we have done it with this one. Impossible to judge in my view. You would think that if Manning was just gratuitously punishing the lad then the hierarchy would step in and say "that's not how we run the ship here Liam"......................

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Might be, might not be? Unless anyone knows the dialogue between Tommy and the club we are all guessing. Manning might well be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut  and, if so, he'll die on that hill but on the other hand Tommy may have told him in no uncertain terms that he has no interest in playing for him. As you say we haven't done it with other players and so there could be good reason we have done it with this one. Impossible to judge in my view. You would think that if Manning was just gratuitously punishing the lad then the hierarchy would step in and say "that's not how we run the ship here Liam"......................

Or it could be the hierarchy pushing Manning!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I agree and also the suggestions about his character don't match up with him becoming the youngest Players Union Rep, not something you would equate with someone who is aloof and only in it for himself.

Players Union Rep is another good example yeah.

I don't have an inside line but he doesn't strike me as a big-head- seems agent driven to me.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Or it could be the hierarchy pushing Manning!

Yes, absolutely, things would surprise you a lot less and you are making my point for me in a way........it could be one of half a dozen different reasons and, as yet, we don't know what that one actual reason is. The best solution for all concerned is that we bring in our targets and Tommy gets his move.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Terry Boyle's Perm said:

Manning has told TC if he doesn’t want to be here then he can go. As from today he’s now making him train with the u21s - as has been stated already. His first day training with U21’s was today. 

We are now actively trying to move him on. Burnley are showing interest which could either complicate or enhance our chances of landing Twine.

If this is legit, then fair play to LM - building a team you need everyone on the same page, especially in pre-season 

TC is a fantastic talent & prospect. But it's clear he see's his future elsewhere & spending summer in Euros squad will only strengthen that.  Who knows where his heads at but I suspect the coaching team would know better than any on here & for all we know it may have been a necessary measure to train away for the core group.

Imagine we value Conway at a not too dissimilar level to what Burnley value Twine, not expecting a swap deal but something that ties their respective values & potential through sell ons etc.

• Like 1

The problem is that Tommy has made it clear he is not interested in signing the new contract. 
Therefore does he want to play football ⚽️ for Bristol City ! 
There are obviously no offers on the table that meet the requirements of both club and Tommy. 
Manning is between a rock and hard place do I include him in plans for next season if he wants to leave ? 
we have been burned before Kadija , Scott all sold just as season getting started no chance to get in replacement so let’s not plan for that player to be included until transfer window closes 

10 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You normally see a first team player training with the U21's as some form of punishment. That's what i don't like. He has done nothing wrong, other than not sign a contract, and i don't see how he should be punished. The manager might say, he is not part of his current plans, and that would be fair enough, but exclusion to the U21's is harsh imo. It does need resolving sooner rather than later, and i just hope Tommy hasn't overplayed his hand.

As others have said there will be more to this than meets the eye, let’s see how it unravels 

What seems to have been missed by the “if he doesn’t want to be here let him rot” viewpoint is that we’ve known about this for over a year. The contract was on the table under Pearson. His best mate left for more money. We then appointed a manager who didn’t fit his style and as such reduced his attractiveness/worth.

The contract was never being signed.

So, riddle me this guys - were you not happy to celebrate like lunatics at the London stadium, or is your point of principle only relevant in the last year of a contract?

He’s under contract for a year. If we want, we can “get the value on the pitch”. And as probably our best contracted goalscorer, it’s a bit daft to start a fight over a situation we knew would emerge and is of the clubs making by - a la Twine negotiations - just hoping we hold a position and the other party shifts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

no chance to get in replacement

There’s loads of time to get in a replacement….in fact I suspect in this case, he’s gonna be announced today or tomorrow!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Corsham Alf said:

This would be perfect!

I’ll order two ubers, one for Twine to Bristol and one for Conway to Burnley and this saga can just end 😂

They can even meet at the services and swap keys on their rental properties so win win for everyone!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

What seems to have been missed by the “if he doesn’t want to be here let him rot” viewpoint is that we’ve known about this for over a year. The contract was on the table under Pearson. His best mate left for more money. We then appointed a manager who didn’t fit his style and as such reduced his attractiveness/worth.

So, riddle me this guys - were you not happy to celebrate like lunatics at the London stadium, or is your point of principle only relevant in the last year of a contract?

He’s under contract for a year. If we want, we can “get the value on the pitch”. And as probably our best contracted goalscorer, it’s a bit daft to start a fight over a situation we knew would emerge and is of the clubs making by - a la Twine negotiations - just hoping we hold a position and the other party shifts.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

And this is actually a scenario where it is possible to get value on the pitch…in terms of fee next summer.  It does assume he doesn’t go to Scotland, but if he were to do well this season, he’d increase the fee at the tribunal.

It feels very petty to me.

• Like 4

I was wondering if TC was training with the u21s because there was a move already in the works and LM didn't feel the need to re-integrate him back into the senior squad, but I guess that's not the case.

2 minutes ago, BritAbroad said:

I was wondering if TC was training with the u21s because there was a move already in the works and LM didn't feel the need to re-integrate him back into the senior squad, but I guess that's not the case.

No concrete bids for him atm, but there is interest. Not sure about the Burnley link that @Corsham Alfmentioned but worth a look

21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

You're an intelligent posted, so I'm sure you appreciate it's always going to be way more nuanced than that.

Edited by Jeez

35 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

The problem is that Tommy has made it clear he is not interested in signing the new contract. 
Therefore does he want to play football ⚽️ for Bristol City ! 

No, he's saying he doesn't want to play for Bristol City when his contract ends. It's not necessarily saying there's bad feelings and doesn't want to play for Bristol City this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

No doubt, but none of that supports the action of relegating Tommy to the reserves. In fact, the action makes his usefulness in the event of Sinclair, Wells and Fally failing/getting injured/burning out a mute point. 

Got no issue with him being told he isn't going to play unless the others are injured, got no issue with us telling him to actively seek a move. Do it with class though; Thank a kid from our academy who's brought plenty of joy to the fans in a fairly boring period and move on amicably. 

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

4 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I don’t think LM has enough credit in the bank to be freezing out TC, especially if the season doesn’t start well.

It would certainly appear from the type of striker that we’ve recruited that we’ll play a style that doesn’t suit TC up top on his own.

But I see no reason why he won’t be in the squad and if we need a goal to get back into a game then we may well see him come on and play off the big man.

This wouldn’t have happened under Nige. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Actually, I am not sure your assessment is totally fair.

1. He has been with City since he was a very young boy; since he was seven, I believe. We are his only club so, in my mind, that most certainly makes him 'one of our own'.

2. He is 21, 22 in a few weeks time. He may well have been 'seduced' by the move of his former best friend and flatmate, but what young man wouldn't consider ways to improve himself?

3. Personally, I do care if he goes. I think, for his age, he is probably one of the most promising forwards in The Championship, and I would far prefer that he fulfilled that promise with City, before, if necessary, moving on to a higher level. I certainly do not consider him 'ordinary' and, more to the point, nowhere have I heard or read that he 'thinks he is better than he actually is'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

Still on the topic of 'Billy Big Bollox' Tommy Conway, unless I am mistaken, this is the player who withdrew from a Scotland squad - surely the pinnacle of any young man's football career - in order to return to Ashton Gate (HPC) so that he could immerse himself in the new manager's way of thinking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Still on the topic of 'Billy Big Bollox' Tommy Conway, unless I am mistaken, this is the player who withdrew from a Scotland squad - surely the pinnacle of any young man's football career - in order to return to Ashton Gate (HPC) so that he could immerse himself in the new manager's way of thinking.

Think the "billy big bollox" thing has come from alleged antics on nights out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless i’ve missed something massively, why not sit down with Tommy + agent and get him to sign an extension with a release clause both parties are happy with? 

Say somewhere between £5-10m, if he proves himself great the club get an agreeable fee and Tommy gets his move. If not then it’s obvious he isn’t ready for that step yet. 

Surely makes a lot more sense than the current situation which sees us lose a lot of potential profit and tommy isolated out of the first team squad. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Unless i’ve missed something massively, why not sit down with Tommy + agent and get him to sign an extension with a release clause both parties are happy with? 

Say somewhere between £5-10m, if he proves himself great the club get an agreeable fee and Tommy gets his move. If not then it’s obvious he isn’t ready for that step yet. 

Surely makes a lot more sense than the current situation which sees us lose a lot of potential profit and tommy isolated out of the first team squad. 

Do you genuinely not think this has been discussed 

• Like 5

• Admin
17 hours ago, Corsham Alf said:

*Burnley submit a ridiculously low offer for Tommy*

Tins: Wtf guys, there's no way we're selling him for that, the price is £x and we can't possibly let him go for the insulting amount you bid!!!

Burnley: Touché!

• Haha 7

Tommy Conways prerogative to run his contract down, and ours to manage who he trains with and how much he plays. 

Personally, unless he’s disruptive (which I doubt), I’d have him training with the first team but on the bench. I’d be interested to know whose decision it was. BT does strike me as someone who will cut his nose off to spite his face so to speak!! 

Wasn’t quite the same but we saw similar with HNM, and in the same way, I’d have preferred to keep him around too whilst he was under contract. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, George Rs said:

What you’ve got to remember is this isn’t a Matty Taylor size release clause. You may think £5m is a reasonable fee - so do I - but it’s also a fee that a) Rules out a lot of options and b) Markedly reduces what any club would pay Tommy as part of the overall package 

I repeat - he’s had an improved contract on the table since last summer. He is not going to sign and if we wanted to sell him to get good money the time was probably in January. We’ve got three options now - sell at what is probably a depressed fee as people know we want rid, keep for the year and try to use him as an asset, protecting compensation value or let him rot as some suggest.

It really is that simple.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmyjimmy said:

Some of you really need to get over Nige.

Shall be expecting 11th or above or questions should be asked especially of the hierarchy.

8th-10th?

Nice of you to join us too Brian. Let's hope the youngish potential strategy is a good one.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Facepalm 2

If everything were fine I’d have expected some social media content of Conway back at the HPC, academy player having gone to a euros and all, the lack of it would suggest everything’s not well, even if he were training with 21’s for fitness as some have speculated I’d have expected some of him around the building etc 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

• Admin

Aside from telling everyone in football that they can low-ball offers for TC as we are so desperate to get rid of him, we'll stick him back in the U21s out of spite, what message does that send to the U21s he'll now be training with?

"Careful lads, honour your contract and don't be disruptive and we can still be a c*** to you for funsies"

I very much doubt this is LM's doing btw. Liam bangs on about taking the emotion out of decisions etc. This feels knee-jerk and fueled by anger.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

What you’ve got to remember is this isn’t a Matty Taylor size release clause. You may think £5m is a reasonable fee - so do I - but it’s also a fee that a) Rules out a lot of options and b) Markedly reduces what any club would pay Tommy as part of the overall package 

I repeat - he’s had an improved contract on the table since last summer. He is not going to sign and if we wanted to sell him to get good money the time was probably in January. We’ve got three options now - sell at what is probably a depressed fee as people know we want rid, keep for the year and try to use him as an asset, protecting compensation value or let him rot as some suggest.

It really is that simple.

In some respects it’s like renting a flat out for three years but only living there for two. 
It makes little sense to be paying for something that your not using . 

Silly boy really obviously has been listening to his agent There's no longer loyalty in Football, he's been with us from a very young age and now his value has increased he's jumping at the 1st chance he can. It could also backfire if he starts getting a reputation as trouble and someone who falls out with his bosses

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

Just now, westonred said:

Silly boy really obviously has been listening to his agent There's no longer loyalty in Football, he's been with us from a very young age and now his value has increased he's jumping at the 1st chance he can. It could also backfire if he starts getting a reputation as trouble and someone who falls out with his bosses

If you believe the story of city being completely in the right here I have a bridge to sell you 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

If you believe the story of city being completely in the right here I have a bridge to sell you 

Sorry i dont get your Jargon sell me a bridge ? This is a football forum not a buy and sell site :) / Yes two sides to every story but what we know is he is not signing a new deal so must be holding out for more money

45 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Actually, I am not sure your assessment is totally fair.

1. He has been with City since he was a very young boy; since he was seven, I believe. We are his only club so, in my mind, that most certainly makes him 'one of our own'.

2. He is 21, 22 in a few weeks time. He may well have been 'seduced' by the move of his former best friend and flatmate, but what young man wouldn't consider ways to improve himself?

3. Personally, I do care if he goes. I think, for his age, he is probably one of the most promising forwards in The Championship, and I would far prefer that he fulfilled that promise with City, before, if necessary, moving on to a higher level. I certainly do not consider him 'ordinary' and, more to the point, nowhere have I heard or read that he 'thinks he is better than he actually is'.

Well said Phil

40 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Well said Phil

24 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Does this young man look familiar?

image.jpeg.21c3bb4079832b04078f9b218efdb828.jpeg

Been saying it since I first saw him.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, westonred said:

Sorry i dont get your Jargon sell me a bridge ? This is a football forum not a buy and sell site :) / Yes two sides to every story but what we know is he is not signing a new deal so must be holding out for more money

Could be money, could be a greedy agent, could be an ambition to move onto that next stage- could he all manner of factors.

If it is the latter the club can only do so much but they could demonstrate it a bit better.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could be money, could be a greedy agent, could be an ambition to move onto that next stage- could he all manner of factors.

If it is the latter the club can only do so much but they could demonstrate it a bit better.

Oh yeah if a Prem club came in for him then he leaves with my good wishes but the only club to have shown and interest is Cardiff i cant see that move benefiting his career

Just now, westonred said:

Oh yeah if a Prem club came in for him then he leaves with my good wishes but the only club to have shown and interest is Cardiff i cant see that move benefiting his career

I don't think he is ready for PL yet but just my view.

Higher end Championship possibly so, Old Firm possibly so.

Cardiff are we sure??

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't think he is ready for PL yet but just my view.

Higher end Championship possibly so, Old Firm possibly so.

Cardiff are we sure??

Burnley have enquired apparently but Cardiff did show interest The Old Firm clubs want to wait until next year when he'll be on a free

My biggest frustration here is that he isn't ready for the 'big' move a la Scotty and an extra year or so here on his current trajectory means he would get his big move and be more ready for it.

It could be a real waste of talent where he ends up not playing somewhere only to end up at the retirement home in BS7.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, westonred said:

Burnley have enquired apparently but Cardiff did show interest The Old Firm clubs want to wait until next year when he'll be on a free

It is funny really, Celtic could afford a multi million fee for him standing on their head. Rangers too but Celtic in particular also have the major Cash Balance, well within FFP, decent turnover, Accumulated Profits etc etc and pretty self-sufficent too.

First I've heard of Cardiff, Burnley definitely I could see him there and doing fine.

9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

My biggest frustration here is that he isn't ready for the 'big' move a la Scotty and an extra year or so here on his current trajectory means he would get his big move and be more ready for it.

It could be a real waste of talent where he ends up not playing somewhere only to end up at the retirement home in BS7.

Or a year extra here sat on our bench whilst being trained to be a different kind of striker could be detrimental to his development. Especially now as he's made it into the Scotland squad. 

I think he could step up to one of the bottom prem clubs and definitely to those in this league that are pushing for promotion. 

You'd rather be sat on a premier league bench earning 30k a week than sat on our bench earning significantly less than that. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Or a year extra here sat on our bench whilst being trained to be a different kind of striker could be detrimental to his development. Especially now as he's made it into the Scotland squad. 

I think he could step up to one of the bottom prem clubs and definitely to those in this league that are pushing for promotion. 

You'd rather be sat on a premier league bench earning 30k a week than sat on our bench earning significantly less than that. 

Do you think he's ready WSM? Not having a pop, just curious.

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Anyone got a guesstimate of how much money TC has sacrificed by not signing the contract ? Its been on the table for a year or so.

If he was on say £2k and we know he was offered one of the higher salaries, guess at £12k, he's lost approaching £1/2M. 🤯

Edited by Ska Junkie

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

If he was on say £2k and we know he was offered one of the higher salaries, guess at £12k, he's lost nigh on £1/2M. 🤯

I was thinking around the half million mark as well, and counting (although I had a higher starting and end point than you suggested).

Its a lot of money to make up with his next move.