IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

8 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

If he was on say £2k and we know he was offered one of the higher salaries, guess at £12k, he's lost approaching £1/2M. 🤯

Balances out a little bit then with all the comments from people saying he’s costing the club money but not signing a new contract then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Balances out a little bit then with all the comments from people saying he’s costing the club money but not signing a new contract then.

And it can’t be all about the money either!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Definitely, and I think it’s good that a contract wasn’t signed simply for financial gain.

Yep, some might sign it, and then kick off later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This revisionism about Conway by some is funny.

His record over 2 years by age, experience, comparables in the division does stand up to scrutiny.

It isn't outright top, but it is competitive and compares quite well.

All a separate issue to the contract stand-off of course but the record is the record and the comparables are the comparables.

100%.

If he was playing for say Millwall or Preston, with the same record and same contract situation, most of the people who think he's crap/greedy/arrogant/whatever would be falling over themselves to demand we sign him.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Do you think he's ready WSM? Not having a pop, just curious.

I do, even at the most basic analysis he's done very well when we've come up against Prem opposition. He's a goalscorer (His conversion rate better than many of the great strikers of recent times albeit at a lower level) he's a sure thing from the spot, he's got good pace, very good technique and he can lead a high press. Decent in the air, quality movement off the ball and he's a smart, articulate young man (youngest PFA rep). There's barely a box he doesn't tick for me. Put him with better players who create chances and he'll score goals. Frankly, peak Shearer would have barely got past 15 goals playing for us last year with the amount of actual good chances we created.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Shush now. we'll have none of your incovenient truths thank you very much, not when there's a tedious agenda to pursue.

HNM trained with the first team, Bakinson was an arsehole. 

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Kicking him out of the dressing room... Christ

Edited by BobBobBobbin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

I do, even at the most basic analysis he's done very well when we've come up against Prem opposition. He's a goalscorer (His conversion rate better than many of the great strikers of recent times albeit at a lower level) he's a sure thing from the spot, he's got good pace, very good technique and he can lead a high press. Decent in the air, quality movement off the ball and he's a smart, articulate young man (youngest PFA rep). There's barely a box he doesn't tick for me. Put him with better players who create chances and he'll score goals. Frankly, peak Shearer would have barely got past 15 goals playing for us last year with the amount of actual good chances we created.

Wow, all entitled to an opinion I suppose!

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Whilst I understand Mannings actions to a certain degree I just cannot agree with them.  Unless he has done something wrong (which he hasn’t according to this article) this just sends out really bad signals to current and future members of the squad and seems to be a case of cutting off our nose. Sad to read.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This revisionism about Conway by some is funny.

His record over 2 years by age, experience, comparables in the division does stand up to scrutiny.

It isn't outright top, but it is competitive and compares quite well.

All a separate issue to the contract stand-off of course but the record is the record and the comparables are the comparables.

But, and it's a big but.....he really wants away from us.

And for that it's a goodbye and shut the door behind you.

Your 'comparables' are paper stats the bottom line he is not a finisher, however not sure we have anyone in as yet that is any better.

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Whilst I understand Mannings actions to a certain degree I just cannot agree with them.  Unless he has done something wrong (which he hasn’t according to this article) this just sends out really bad signals to current and future members of the squad and seems to be a case of cutting off our nose. Sad to read.  

I disagree. I think its about time the club tried to move players on who clearly dont want to be here and its a shame we didnt do it before. I have no issues with Tommy wanting to leave, if he feels he can do better for himself then fair play. However the club have to look after their own interests and we dont want another Nicky Maynard situation. 

• Like 4

....there’s also the possibility of having a knock-on detrimental effect to certain individuals within the squad given Conway remains a popular member of the dressing room and some players and staff have expressed surprise at the decision, with the 21-year-old also banished from the first-team dressing room at the HPC.

Great stuff, what could possibly go wrong?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cotswoldred2 said:

But, and it's a big but.....he really wants away from us.

And for that it's a goodbye and shut the door behind you.

Your 'comparables' are paper stats the bottom line he is not a finisher, however not sure we have anyone in as yet that is any better.

Yeah there is that of course, paper stats but he really doesn't strike me as a troublemaker although I'm yet to read the article.

My initial instincts are that this is ballsy but also could be cutting our nose off etc.

6 months or a year if it came to it could harm his value.

He is our best finisher IMO.

1 minute ago, BS3_RED said:

I disagree. I think its about time the club tried to move players on who clearly dont want to be here and its a shame we didnt do it before. I have no issues with Tommy wanting to leave, if he feels he can do better for himself then fair play. However the club have to look after their own interests and we dont want another Nicky Maynard situation. 

The club wanted to sale Maynard, even agreed a price, Maynard didn't want the move

1 minute ago, lenred said:

It shows real management balls to do that, if he hadn't taken this action plenty would have accused him of being soft, probably looking at transfer news on his phone rather than concentrating on playing for the club that pays his wages.

He needs to at least one good season behind him.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, cheddarwedlocker said:

Couldnt care less tbh. Glad Mannings put his foot down.

Burnley interest is bollox tho I believe 

Couldnt care less tbh. Glad Mannings put his foot down.

Burnley interest is bollox tho I believe 

Manning..or someone above?

A certain Technical Director..this just smacks of him in some respects IMO.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair play to him if it was him (and I'm no fan of his!)

• Hmmm 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well wouldn’t surprise me mate. It wouldn’t surprise me that he may have fallen out with TC.

Either way, I was nothing more than ‘hes training with the 21s’ so I will try do some digging.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

That’s got to have come from higher up the food chain IMO. 

Sounds very much like LM from these bits RA?

‘Strategically then, Manning doesn’t want to disrupt pre-season planning by introducing an individual who may not even feature in 2024/25.’

‘But ultimately Manning has adopted a policy built around the concept of the club being greater than any one individual, however talented and well-liked they may be.’

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I must remember the line about the club being great than any one individual when somebody comes sniffing around him in the future.

Seems strange that although we knew we wouldn’t be keeping James or King we still used them at the end of last season on a regular basis but we won’t be doing that with Conway.

difference being we had no alternatives that LM was willing to use last season but now he has.

Proves the point that the club will do what suits them just like Conway can do what suits him regarding his contract

• Like 3

Just now, cheddarwedlocker said:

Well wouldn’t surprise me mate. It wouldn’t surprise me that he may have fallen out with TC.

Either way, I was nothing more than ‘hes training with the 21s’ so I will try do some digging.

Putting aside my periodic criticism of the Technical Director, it is just I recall a little story or claim from his time as Manager, possibly from when he went from Player Manager to outright Manager.

He so I was told, and it could've been rubbish, insisted on players calling him Sir. This went down not very well.

Any truth Idk but that claim or story which could be rubbish had always stuck in the mind in terms of Tinnion and makes me wonder.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Putting aside my periodic criticism of the Technical Director, it is just I recall a little story or claim from his time as Manager, possibly from when he went from Player Manager to outright Manager.

He so I was told, and it could've been rubbish, insisted on players calling him Sir. This went down not very well.

Any truth Idk but that claim or story which could be rubbish had always stuck in the mind in terms of Tinnion and makes me wonder.

I hope that’s absolute bullshit 

• Like 1

Just now, Lew-T said:

What a mess. 

Why?

TC has made it clear he isn't staying

Why should we get him fit, integrate him into the team learning patterns of play etc only for him to leave?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

That’s got to have come from higher up the food chain IMO. 

Pearson did the same thing apparently.

Manybe its more common than thought ?

But I dont like it at all, instinct tells me that its counter productive all round and, without knowing the ins and outs, seemingly being handled badly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

I hope that’s absolute bullshit 

I hope so too but I always have this nagging doubt about Tinnion so it can't be ruled out entirely IMO.

It would be consistent with this if there is any truth.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Just now, Lew-T said:

What a mess. 

It is, however I’m not sure he’s such a major player for us that’s it’s going to affect us going forward. My opinion off course and we did struggle to create things for him last season but he has still got so much to learn. He may regret how this has played out in the future. 

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Sounds very much like LM from these bits RA?

‘Strategically then, Manning doesn’t want to disrupt pre-season planning by introducing an individual who may not even feature in 2024/25.’

‘But ultimately Manning has adopted a policy built around the concept of the club being greater than any one individual, however talented and well-liked they may be.’

Fair enough. Just feels like a huge move for just a manager. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hate this sort of tittle tattle, BT is a football man, to accuse him of this churlish carp does you no favours...Seems like I need to pop in here more often, so much rubbish needs addressing.🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Pearson did the same thing apparently.

Manybe its more common than thought ?

But I dont like it at all, instinct tells me that its counter productive all round and, without knowing the ins and outs, seemingly being handled badly.

Who did Nige do it too?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Hate this sort of tittle tattle, BT is a football man, to accuse him of this churlish carp does you no favours...Seems like I need to pop in here more often, so much rubbish needs addressing.🤔

It was a pretty reasonable source but by no means a given.

I would rather it wasn't true and I hope it was bullshit, I hope it was misinformed and so on.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Will you be addressing it with facts that you know to be true  or just your opinions out of interest ?

• Haha 3

Just now, Red Army 75 said:

Just my opinion, no need for your sarcastic response 

Oh! there is, you just had a dig at Manning, suggesting he was not the one managing,completely unwarranted and without any evidence, pure tittle tattle.

I see the bitchiness is rife, but about time this club showed some balls.

• Admin

If a player we don't think is good enough to keep enters the last year of his contract, we will play them.

If a player we do think is good enough to keep (or sell) enters the last year of his contract, we won't play them.

How is that good use of club funds?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was wondering when that bit of news would break.  Feels very petty!

It's just dumb, divisive nonsense. More than that though, why on gods green earth is our Manager discussing this? It's internal. Why has it leaked? It doesn't help us, it doesn't increase his value (Diminishes it tbh)... 

at a loss for words for the 194858303th time this year... 

• Like 3

It’s really not that deep though, is it?

As a HC, why would you want to waste your time coaching and developing a player who doesn’t want to be here and has made it abundantly clear that he is unwilling to even renegotiate a better deal to stay here.

Makes perfect sense to me but also completely understand that it’s going to divide opinion and wouldn’t pass any judgement on anyone who feels differently about it to me. Each to their own and all that but I actually think it’s a great shout, quite frankly. (If true)

Edited by RedEyez
  • Like 6

While I am saddened that the situation with TC has developed in this manner, the decision to alienate him from the senior squad and dressing room is a strong move from Manning. Whether one agrees with the action or not there is a clear sense of purpose in how he wishes to move forward. The report says there is no animosity between the two and one hopes that us the case and they are both professional enough to see the situation for what it is 

Just now, Bobby girl said:

Manning had better hope that someone else scores goals in the first few league games.

FWIW we don’t know if Manning made the decision, or whether it was forced on him.  But whoever did decide , needs to own it and be accountable for any impacts that may come from it (just like Tommy does with not signing a contract).  I think it’s a poor decision, that’s just my opinion.  It might be the best decision ever.

3 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Will you be addressing it with facts that you know to be true  or just your opinions out of interest ?

No but I don't speculate on the worse scenarios as to a persons character or abilities.

Whenever you see this sort of thing happen in football it really is difficult to believe that all the people involved are adults. He’s not allowed in the first team dressing room because he won’t agree a new contract. Sorry, what?

Wasn’t there some story last season about Jadon Sancho only being allowed in the canteen after a certain time? 

All so utterly pathetic.

• Like 2

Oh! there is, you just had a dig at Manning, suggesting he was not the one managing,completely unwarranted and without any evidence, pure tittle tattle.

I see the bitchiness is rife, but about time this club showed some balls.

I had a dig at Manning, please show me where. 

Think you’ve had a bit to much sun 

I've never liked the kid to be honest and have been open with my views about his ability on here for quite a while. I'm glad Liam has done this, the lad needs humbling massively.

Didn't think i'd ever genuinely dislike a Bristol City player before but here we are. Can't stand the kid and is a bad egg.

• Confused 1

Completely unnecessary, he is under contract and doesn't want to extend. Fair enough.  He should still be entitled to train, work and compete with his team mates without being 'demoted' or 'punished'.

He was offered a new deal, didn't fancy it and immediately punished for it. Has he said (publicly) that "I refuse to play/train"?, has he come out and said he'll not make any effort on the pitch?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ian M said:

If a player we don't think is good enough to keep enters the last year of his contract, we will play them.

If a player we do think is good enough to keep (or sell) enters the last year of his contract, we won't play them.

How is that good use of club funds?

The season hasn't started...getting a bit ahead of ourselves and getting our knickers all twisted.

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

I've never liked the kid to be honest and have been open with my views about his ability on here for quite a while. I'm glad Liam has done this, the lad needs humbling massively.

Didn't think i'd ever genuinely dislike a Bristol City player before but here we are. Can't stand the kid and is a bad egg.

Based on what exactly? Because he won’t sign a new contract?  Even the article says he’s no trouble?  

• Like 1