IGNORED

Sinclair Armstrong - OFFICIALLY SIGNED

GabrielM

Nowhere near being a "finished product" (7g/a in 40 games last season) but could be a great option to offer us something different up top in matches. 

Has incredible strength and pace but is very raw technically and his decision making on the ball leaves a lot to be desired, however is only 20 so obviously has time on his side to improve. 

Apparently doesn't want to stay at QPR and from speaking to a few of their fans they'd be surprised if they were in a position to reject an offer of much more than £1 million. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Nowhere near being a "finished product" (7g/a in 40 games last season) but could be a great option to offer us something different up top in matches. 

Has incredible strength and pace but is very raw technically and his decision making on the ball leaves a lot to be desired, however is only 20 so obviously has time on his side to improve. 

Apparently doesn't want to stay at QPR and from speaking to a few of their fans they'd be surprised if they were in a position to reject an offer of much more than £1 million. 

I love the name , he sounds like a character from a sixties thriller. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Hasn't he just signed a new contract? 

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

QPR would want more than a mil now they've extended

Even with the extension he only has 12 months left on his deal. I can't see them wanting, or having the ability to ask for, much more than a million. 

7 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Even with the extension he only has 12 months left on his deal. I can't see them wanting, or having the ability to ask for, much more than a million. 

They can ask for whatever they like doesn't mean they'll get it, just means they're happy to go to compensation/tribunal next summer if needs be

He’s my Antoine v2.  Quite raw, maybe not as skilful as Ant, but he’s gonna be a right bulldozer.  If Conway won’t sign, “swap” with Armstrong.

(yeah, I know swaps don’t happen)

Edited by Davefevs
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s my Antoine v2.  Quite raw, maybe not as skilful as Ant, but he’s gonna be a right bulldozer.  If Conway won’t sign, “swap” with Armstrong.

(yeah, I know swaps don’t happen)

Cheers Dave. Do you know how the rules work in regards to compensation? Not sure what/if any impact them signing him from Shamrock Rovers would have on the position they'd find themselves in if his contract expires next summer. 

1 minute ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Great signing. Exactly what we need

A striker that can’t score who QPR fans don’t rate and seems to have no footballing brain at all. 

Yep great 🙄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jose said:

A striker that can’t score who QPR fans don’t rate and seems to have no footballing brain at all. 

Yep great 🙄

Semenyo thread comes to mind 🤣

More to striker than scoring goals though. The threat of running in behind, occupying defenders, link up, etc. 

I don’t know much about him other than the obvious but he is clearly a player that has potential and should be working to get better. It is the type of player we should be looking at more often than not. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, atyeoboy17 said:

Not exactly prolific, 61 games 3 goals

Understatement..

However I do get the logic, the guy possesses all the requirements, strong, quick, at 21 plenty of time to improve.

Plus he’s Irish, which means he’ll know about 5 of our squad (Rob Dickie from QPR).

Ends all this “Lansdown is going to heavily back Manning” nonsense too..

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Had bad is he, Jose 

I’m not going to make out I know a hell a lot about it. Watched him a couple off times as you do, and he looked so raw. Our problem is scoring goals right? Well he’s not going to fix that. Look at QPR fans reactions. They thought he’d go out on loan to a lower division to get experience. 

• Like 1

What is he a winger, striker?

Does he partner Fally, does he compete..

If this comes off, Conway off? Which brings exactly the kind of risk that I fear of two relatively young and raw players at one end of the age range, Wells at the other albeit Armstrong at least has Championship experience.

11 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

For all the negative comments, think what Semenyo brought to the team, SA has similar attributes. Not all about scoring goals..

Also take into account Semenyo's initial rawness, I remember his first team debut which I think was an end of season game, looked a unit but no idea. Coaching and improving younger players is an area which we know Manning has been successful at so I'm not going to instantly dismiss this as a backward choice. One of our biggest issues is that we don't have a unit up top to spend 60 or 70 mins keeping defenders on their toes. If he can be improved then absolutely why not...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If this comes off, Conway off? Which brings exactly the kind of risk that I fear of two relatively young and raw players at one end of the age range, Wells at the other albeit Armstrong at least has Championship experience.

Wells is the exact player I would want to lecture Armstrong about how to score goals

• Like 2

Just now, bexhill reds said:

Also take into account Semenyo's initial rawness, I remember his first team debut which I think was an end of season game, looked a unit but no idea. Coaching and improving younger players is an area which we know Manning has been successful at so I'm not going to instantly dismiss this as a backward choice. One of our biggest issues is that we don't have a unit up top to spend 60 or 70 mins keeping defenders on their toes. If he can be improved then absolutely why not...

Derby at home, he got sent off wasn`t it?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

This was the player I was told we’d bid for on Friday.  Now it’s broke by POR, I don’t mind saying.

Lot of negatives on here Dave but looking on the other Armstrong topic you seem to rate him as a Semenyo 2 ? 

• Like 1

He might not be prolific but he’s only 21 and QPR weren’t exactly on fire last season.

I quite liked the look of him when I saw him and he will certainly occupy defenders which will hopefully allow space for others.

Wouldn’t mind seeing him causing chaos and holding the ball up while Tommy plays off the big man and  slots away the second balls.

But there are many reasons why that probably won’t happen.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This was the player I was told we’d bid for on Friday.  Now it’s broke by POR, I don’t mind saying.

Happy with this if so Dave? Your previous comments on him suggest so? Only seen him a couple of times myself and can’t make my mind up.   Certainly brings the strength we need but what about other attributes.  ’.  

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Derby at home, he got sent off wasn`t it?

No, Sheff United at home last day 2017-18 season, came in as a sub. Sending off was later in 2019 (needed to Wiki that). I remember Stan (OSIB) raving about him.

• Thanks 1

On 17/06/2024 at 21:46, GabrielM said:

Cheers Dave. Do you know how the rules work in regards to compensation? Not sure what/if any impact them signing him from Shamrock Rovers would have on the position they'd find themselves in if his contract expires next summer. 

Did you include a sell-on?  He’s under contract, so we would be buying him and you’d be due £££s if you had a sell-on?

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He’s a centre forward.

Be very surprised if we played the pair of them.

Conway isn’t going to feature, we also have Bell & Cornick, so that’s 5 strikers with a blend of qualities & experience.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cheddarwedlocker said:

Wells is the exact player I would want to lecture Armstrong about how to score goals

5 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I think he’d probably be a very good influence on developing Armstrong 

Agreed.

Worrying a little about the here and now however, as Fally is new, young- time to adjust.

Armstrong is young and has been compared to Semenyo but he took time.

We'll see. Sort of signing I'd welcome but I worry about the age/experience structure etc.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

“Forward”! 😉

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

For all the negative comments, think what Semenyo brought to the team, SA has similar attributes. Not all about scoring goals..

True, but someone has to!

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, but I’ll see if the person who told me wants me to say.

Sorry to be cagey.  I don’t like splurting out stuff like this.

IG said 7/10 days , is it likely to be sooner ? 

Very smart business from club imo, yes lack of goals a worry but for sheer power pace and a bit of exposure to champ football, very good coup for club 

Great age too, could prove to be a big profitable asset for the club medium - long term. 

Alot to work on, and isn’t going to walk straight in the side, great peers to learn off wells etc, assume Fally will be the main man up top - all for it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

True, but someone has to!

I suppose the theory might be that if you have a Semenyo type marauding into the penalty area then he demands attention, pulls defenders out of position and creates the space for others. We’ve got potential goal scorers around the side now. And for all his strengths one of the problems with Tommy is that he’s not a big physical presence who frightens defenders. 

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

While I appreciate this lad and Fally are very young and raw, am I the only one concerned about the 'now' rather than the future? We're asking a lot of 2 so young IMHO.

You certainly aren’t!  But we have to wait and see who else comes in and out before we get too worried.   

• Like 2

Our problem last season? Scoring goals?  What do we do about it? Sign forward players that don’t really score goals…….. 

I realise that’s a negative way of looking at things( it’s been a long weekend)  and fingers crossed I’m completely wrong but it does seem slightly strange recruitment.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

None of our signings, save possibly Yu, speak to me at aiming at top six.

Same old, same old City.

We desperately need new investigation and a marque signing

Unless you are in the parachute payment world the days of the marquee signing are long gone. It's now going to be players with raw talent that you can develop. Possibly jam tomorrow, but let's see how these players are in preseason action before we judge if it's same old etc. Yu looks a really exciting player and is something we've not had for a while, but I suspect we won't see the best of him for a while, Olympics aside the utter change in culture will take him a while to get used to.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I suppose the theory might be that if you have a Semenyo type marauding into the penalty area then he demands attention, pulls defenders out of position and creates the space for others. We’ve got potential goal scorers around the side now. And for all his strengths one of the problems with Tommy is that he’s not a big physical presence who frightens defenders. 

The front 3 becomes Yu, Fally, Armstrong?

What of Twine.

Just feels like we may have been down shades of this before in respect of options leading to confusion.

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

Unless you are in the parachute payment world the days of the marquee signing are long gone. It's now going to be players with raw talent that you can develop. Possibly jam tomorrow, but let's see how these players are in preseason action before we judge if it's same old etc. Yu looks a really exciting player and is something we've not had for a while, but I suspect we won't see the best of him for a while, Olympics aside the utter change in culture will take him a while to get used to.

Agree on Point 2, Point 1 we are perhaps going too far down the road with this. IMO anyway.

14 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Great age too, could prove to be a big profitable asset for the club medium - long term. 

Medium-long term could well he true but like @Ska Junkie and @lenred I am a bit worried about the here and now.

If these two are in addition to Conway staying until January at least, that is a a bit different and seems like decent succession planning. If not I worry a bit.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1