IGNORED

Sinclair Armstrong - OFFICIALLY SIGNED

GabrielM

I absolutely agree we need a 10, and like a lot of you guys I’m not 100% on Twine based on what he gave us last year.

however, Am I the only person who feels that whenever we have had a decent 10 in our team we’ve never been able to use him to the best of their ability.

unfortunately the nature of a 10 is slightly lazy, but they pop up and produce moments of magic which change games.

we have always took them out of the side though due to the former, and haven’t ever seemed willing to wait for the magic.  We’ve never got the balance right.

most other teams I watch week in week out seem to be able to capacitate the 10.  As of yet I don’t think we’ve ever got it right.

1 hour ago, BLRed said:

Either stokes, bird, knight, benarous and even mehmeti can play the 10. My concern by not having twine is we would lose the dead ball quality that we’ve missed for a long time. His quality at corners actually makes us deadly with the likes of dickie in the box

ken williams.jpg

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, gibbo7 said:

I absolutely agree we need a 10, and like a lot of you guys I’m not 100% on Twine based on what he gave us last year.

however, Am I the only person who feels that whenever we have had a decent 10 in our team we’ve never been able to use him to the best of their ability.

unfortunately the nature of a 10 is slightly lazy, but they pop up and produce moments of magic which change games.

we have always took them out of the side though due to the former, and haven’t ever seemed willing to wait for the magic.  We’ve never got the balance right.

most other teams I watch week in week out seem to be able to capacitate the 10.  As of yet I don’t think we’ve ever got it right.

I don’t like this whole ‘10’ thing. Rarely do people have a ‘10’ that works. Look at Arsenal, arguably the best side to watch in PL. They have a creative midfielder, that’s the term I like and what we need. Someone who can create chances, vision, stick one in from 25 years ala Odegaard, a driving force of the attack. Unless we play Twine at the front of a midfield 3 with three pacy forwards ahead of him I don’t think we will get much for him and I’m not convinced he is that player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BLRed said:

Either stokes, bird, knight, benarous and even mehmeti can play the 10. My concern by not having twine is we would lose the dead ball quality that we’ve missed for a long time. His quality at corners actually makes us deadly with the likes of dickie in the box. 

Which is bizarre, because in those games he played other players took corners and wider free-kicks, e.g. Roberts and TGH.

38 minutes ago, mozo said:

Fevs if you could ditch the Twine pursuit, but could still bring one more in, what type of player do you think the squad would benefit from?

“Marvin Elliott”-type

11 minutes ago, Tom193 said:

It isn’t confirmed until Ian Gay does a player profile on him. 

Which will be however Tinnion described him, “6’2, can ping a ball and likes a tackle” type description!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, gibbo7 said:

He played for a very poor QPR side in a lot of these games who have been in far more turmoil on the pitch than we have been.

a change of scenery for the lad and a different style, which I very much hope we will be playing to suit his style as he’s a Manning signing will work wonders.

This is a signing that I am very positive about, and comparisons to Semenyo excite me as in the early days he was raw and somewhat poor to a lot of our fans but once he learned to use his strengths in the correct areas he has turned into a Premier League talent.

Please don’t knock the lad before he’s kicked a ball for us!

Your right really  looking  forward  to his 4 goals.

• Facepalm 2

So despite all the “Stoke will blow us out the water”, ‘Tins couldn’t negotiate his was out of a paper bag’  etc it seems that we are 3/4 of the way to completing our target list with over 3 weeks to go to the opening game. Maybe they do know what they’re doing after all. Time will tell I guess. Anyone feel like giving any credit to our recruitment team ? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cheddarwedlocker said:

Morning all, as Piercy says, Sinclair is having his medical today as I was told yesterday - I believe he is at the HPC right now, so hopefully this means we can wrap it all up and get sorted for an announcement tonight. Fee is less that the 2.5m as I said last night - just over 1.2m up front.

1.2 million up front sounds about right to me. Then I'm sure there are loads of add ons including a sell on clause. If this is all confirmed as above. I'm happy with that.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

So despite all the “Stoke will blow us out the water”, ‘Tins couldn’t negotiate his was out of a paper bag’  etc it seems that we are 3/4 of the way to completing our target list with over 3 weeks to go to the opening game. Maybe they do know what they’re doing after all. Time will tell I guess. Anyone feel like giving any credit to our recruitment team ? 

Na.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Are they our first choice targets? I'd suggest not. They are all risks in my opinion. 2 from new countries, 1 who is very raw.

And our main target, and probably priority position, Twine / number 10 isn't over the line right now.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Not until I see him play.

Just now, Selred said:

Are they our first choice targets? I'd suggest not. They are all risks in my opinion. 2 from new countries, 1 who is very raw.

And our main target, and probably priority position, Twine / number 10 isn't over the line right now.

We know they are probably not our first choice targets but that is the same every transfer window for almost all clubs who don’t have parachute funding. All you can ask is that the recruitment team fill the managers requirements and then it’s down to LM

5 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Yes I think that’s fair , we may have missed out on a couple but pretty much bar the 10 it’s what Manning asked for and Tinnion talked about a couple of weeks back 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan11 said:

Are you all happy with this one?

He's either going to be superb and end up in the Premier League or be the next Frank Nouble with very little in between for me. I've seen him have games where he looked a real handful but then others when he looked absolutely dreadful with no technical ability at all. A challenge for Manning to improve and get the best out of I guess.

Why Frank Nouble of all people 😂 I know there’s no malice in it, but really makes me laugh how lazy people are with comparisons involving black players. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Not until I see him play.

My mate is a QPR fan and I've seen him play and not against City.

I remember saying at the time that he looked the type of player we could do with. Very raw, yes. Pacey, yes. He just looks like he could cause havoc once he has developed a bit. Already got a decent amount of Championship experience and looks like he loves a battle.

For the transfer space City are in. These are the types of signing we have to be looking at. It is what it is. I hope this is confirmed asap.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

There is a suggestion that Stoke had to sell first which would help I guess if true, but at that price and that profile yes seems decent.

My concern isn't so much the individual players as such, it is the overarching strategic plan and it has been for a while.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

We know they are probably not our first choice targets but that is the same every transfer window for almost all clubs who don’t have parachute funding. All you can ask is that the recruitment team fill the managers requirements and then it’s down to LM

So why am I giving credit to the recruitment team exactly? For doing their job?

Whether they have the right players, time will tell. That's when we can judge them / give credit.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why Frank Nouble of all people 😂 I know there’s no malice in it, but really makes me laugh how lazy people are with comparisons involving black players. 

Because I watched him for 2 years at Ipswich churn out the same performances I see from Armstrong. All the physical attributes, all the same hype, but absolutely no technical ability. Nothing to do with being black thank you very much. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

Because I watched him for 2 years at Ipswich churn out the same performances I see from Armstrong. All the physical attributes, all the same hype, but absolutely no technical ability. Nothing to do with being black thank you very much. 

So you’re an Ipswich fan?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

I wasn’t suggesting a racist angle by the way, I think it’s just subconscious. 

5 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Armstrong has played out wide before hasn’t he? Would be interesting to see just once Yu on the left and Armstrong on the right. Pure pace

Armstrong Fally Yu

That could be intriguing tbh. All under 25..perhaps an early Cup game.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, he is.

Seems very weird then to be on here talking about our comparatively low level signings and making random comparisons,  when they look likely to spend over £100m.  Each to their own though! 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Under strengths you’ve put transfers 

• Haha 13

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Which is bizarre, because in those games he played other players took corners and wider free-kicks, e.g. Roberts and TGH.

“Marvin Elliott”-type

Which will be however Tinnion described him, “6’2, can ping a ball and likes a tackle” type description!

Not even Marvin Elliott could replace that Marvin Elliott we had first season, what a player and in terms of pure impact every single game not something we'll ever be able to match.

Was a goal threat, good in both boxes for set pieces, a disruptor and a leader. If he'd have kept that form up for multiple seasons he'd have played 100 times in the Premier League. 

One of my favourite ever players just for the impact he had that first season and something we will never replace.

• Like 5
  • Robin 2

Encouraging that he looks to have chosen us over Stoke. Our willingness to play, develop and sell players can't have gone unnoticed. 

this is proactive squad management-replacing a player that wants to leave with one that's hungry to be here (with attributes that we lacked in the squad given conways similarity to wells) seems good business to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Good luck with that as most on here are never wrong about anything 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

We don't have those physical attributes up top, the amount of attacks breaking down due to that are numerous

5 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Encouraging that he looks to have chosen us over Stoke. Our willingness to play, develop and sell players can't have gone unnoticed. 

this is proactive squad management-replacing a player that wants to leave with one that's hungry to be here (with attributes that we lacked in the squad given conways similarity to wells) seems good business to me.

FWIW, I don’t think Stoke were in the picture.  No evidence, just gut feel about how this story broke.  Think we’d got it done and dusted, and the rumours of Stoke were more a case of shit-stirring.  Think we acted / reacted quickly to missing other targets, probably offered QPR a little over the odds to get it done.  And I have no issues with paying a little over the odds either.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Not even Marvin Elliott could replace that Marvin Elliott we had first season, what a player and in terms of pure impact every single game not something we'll ever be able to match.

Was a goal threat, good in both boxes for set pieces, a disruptor and a leader. If he'd have kept that form up for multiple seasons he'd have played 100 times in the Premier League. 

One of my favourite ever players just for the impact he had that first season and something we will never replace.

It's funny how people view Marvin Elliott. I know for many he has cult hero status, and I concede he was good in both boxes, but for me it was clear he was a converted fullback and not a natural midfielder. As a midfielder he had no spatial awareness. A large proportion of the crunching tackles he made, especially those running back, were made 30-40 yards further back up the pitch than they should of been because he'd let the opposition run off him in the first place. He was bailed out time and time again by the go go gadget legs of Cole Skuse. I would never deny he was a wholehearted player who left everything out on the pitch but, for me, as a midfielder has was a mile away from being good enough to play at the top level. 

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It's funny how people view Marvin Elliott. I know for many he has cult hero status, and I concede he was good in both boxes, but for me it was clear he was a converted fullback and not a natural midfielder. As a midfielder he had no spatial awareness. A large proportion of the crunching tackles he made, especially those running back, were made 30-40 yards further back up the pitch than they should of been because he'd let the opposition run off him in the first place. He was bailed out time and time again by the go go gadget legs of Cole Skuse. I would never deny he was a wholehearted player who left everything out on the pitch but, for me, as a midfielder has was a mile away from being good enough to play at the top level. 

Get that tin hat out of the shed Roy.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

He only looked good in his first season because he had Lee Johnson next to him mopping up his errors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

If this is concluded and fingers crossed that is.

If it was a straight choice between us and Stoke or whomever i.e. the deal is broadly similar and wages etc. a big factor could be the Irish contingent already here? I've no idea if that is the case but coming in to a club with several lads that you already know could sway a player's thoughts.

1 minute ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

He only looked good in his first season because he had Lee Johnson next to him mopping up his errors.

Thanks Lee.

Not one that’s too interested in transfers so only dip in and out of this section of the forum. My stance is much closer to the Barry Glendenning view that I’d rather find out new signings on the first day of the season than the endless chat they seem to generate nowadays.

Have to say though , ‘Marvin Elliott- Not actually very good and saved by Lee Johnson and Cole Skuse’ should probably end any further reading I may do on this section of the forum. It’s a take, you have to say that.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Selred said:

So why am I giving credit to the recruitment team exactly? For doing their job?

Whether they have the right players, time will tell. That's when we can judge them / give credit.

As BT said recently, LM has the final say on incomings so hopefully the process has been thorough 

Armstrong & Fally are players I think we have needed for a long time and with good coaching/development I think we will have a very pacy/strong frontline 

We all like forwards who have that turn of pace and over power defenders so I’m looking forward to see the impact they make 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, gibbo7 said:

Every year 1 player comes back to training a different beast !!  Just imagine if finally we seen a player in Cornick we all hoped for?

I always cast my mind back to Bobby Reid who undoubtedly had potential, but it wasn’t until Lee Johnson made the at the time strange decision to play him up top that we seen anything like what he could and has been.

I’m not for one minute saying this will be Cornick, but I do believe that he has had quite a difficult start to his City career and hasn’t got going due to being unfit when signed,  Change of manager half way through last season, and then a different way of playing last year.  

At times I seen signs of him being a really awkward sod to manage when he played up top alone.  Especially in the last 20 or 30 of games.

Now 5 subs are allowed players that can come on and impact in ways like this are almost as important as your first x1.

I've always felt he was more suited to playing up top alone. He is deceptively quick, has bags of energy and a pain to mark. 

28 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

ME was closest in playing style to the great Gerry Gow, just not quite so good!

What he did was epitomise Gary Johnson's team and his energy seemed able to galvanise his teammates especially when we were struggling.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, INCRED said:

As BT said recently, LM has the final say on incomings so hopefully the process has been thorough 

Armstrong & Fally are players I think we have needed for a long time and with good coaching/development I think we will have a very pacy/strong frontline 

We all like forwards who have that turn of pace and over power defenders so I’m looking forward to see the impact they make 

I hope so too, but I'm not giving the recruitment team credit yet. They (well Tinnion) are still in negative credit with me following the lies spouted about 2 players signed before the window opened. If Fally/Armstrong/Yu become good signings, I will give them the praise they deserve.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I wasn’t suggesting a racist angle by the way, I think it’s just subconscious. 

You said it wasn’t from a racist angle but then followed up by saying it was probably (subconscious) racism. Race has got nothing to do with it - as per his comment - it was simply the best example he could recall. 

5 minutes ago, Selred said:

If Fally/Armstrong/Yu become good signings

I do think we can praise / critique “based on paper” or the process too, but final judgement (as you say) should be once we’ve seen them play - at least a few times! 😉

4 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

You said it wasn’t from a racist angle but then followed up by saying it was probably (subconscious) racism. Race has got nothing to do with it - as per his comment - it was simply the best example he could recall. 

There are no winners in this debate. Probably just best left alone.

Not sticking up for anyone but the written form of a Forum it is practically impossible to show context where and when it is required.

• Like 1

I know people are saying for the price they are willing to miss out on him but look at it this way, he probably wasn't our first choice, maybe not even our second so for arguments sake let's say he's our third, the part you're missing out on is if we don't sign him then the board will move onto the next target who is further down the wanted list and because we'll be getting more desperate the prices are likely to rise or stay the same. In other words if you think this is a bad deal, if it doesn't happen we could end up pushing for an even worse one. 

I have a feeling we have a budget and we're very close to that budget right now, the further we go down the list the lesser the quality for probably the same price. If people truly back LM like they are saying they do then you have to accept his/the club's targets for what he's trying to achieve. 

I don't like the look of this deal, I think every time we spend more than £1m on a striker it tends to go poorly with only a couple of exceptions, but we're not in a position to buy a tried and tested striker at this level without some serious work to do to improve their game, any striker nearing their peak at this level is going to be double million digits. 

3 hours ago, Dan11 said:

Are you all happy with this one?

He's either going to be superb and end up in the Premier League or be the next Frank Nouble with very little in between for me. I've seen him have games where he looked a real handful but then others when he looked absolutely dreadful with no technical ability at all. A challenge for Manning to improve and get the best out of I guess.

we’ve been crying out for pace and power up top and armstrong has it in bucketloads. he’ll probably be frustrating at times but he will be a handful for defenders and should hopefully create space for our other players as well. i remember a certain senegalese man who could be frustrating to watch but made us better as a team…

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, stokes7 said:

Have no problem with this signing, however do I think it solves our goalscoring problem at this time no

It may or may not solve any actual goal scoring problem, but I am more than hopeful that it will increase our goal scoring opportunities. As someone pointed out, this fella created more goal contributions in open play than Conway last season.

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 1

Watched a YouTube clip of him in conversation with two Irish guys. He came across as being a really pleasant, funny young man. He spoke about his beginnings in Ireland and his progress so far. Whether, in time, he progresses with us or not, I think he will become a fans favourite. Be interesting to see how he settles in. Worth a watch on you tube.

2 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Let's hope Mayulu is decent because otherwise we are still massively short of goals.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

It may or may not solve any actual goal scoring problem, but I am more than hopeful that it will increase our goal scoring opportunities. As someone pointed out, this fella created more goal contributions in open play than Conway last season.

Out of interests, because it’s the second time I’ve heard / read this today, what are we classing as “goal contributions in open play”, and where are we sourcing this?

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

Out of interests, because it’s the second time I’ve heard / read this today, what are we classing as “goal contributions in open play”, and where are we sourcing this?

I was just quoting another poster who had done the research.

Unfortunately, I have the memory and attention span of a goldfish and can't remember who it was. ☺️

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I was just quoting another poster who had done the research.

Unfortunately, I have the memory and attention span of a goldfish and can't remember who it was. ☺️

I'm exactly the same, but I can help you on this one. It was....oh sod it, gone again.

24 minutes ago, stokes7 said:

Have no problem with this signing, however do I think it solves our goalscoring problem at this time no

Then again, I can remember Wilbraham's signing being greeted by many on here as signing a striker that doesn't score goals.

It might just be that Fally, Yu and Armstrong bring something that we seem to have lacked going forward- pace.

In the case of Armstrong it sounds like he will bring pace and power, which we've lacked since Semenyo left.

Having said that, I don't think our goalscoring problems will be solved by any one signing. The combination of midfield personnel and forwards, and the style in which Manning choses to use them, will be what makes the difference.

• Like 2