IGNORED

Sinclair Armstrong - OFFICIALLY SIGNED

GabrielM

3 hours ago, MelksRed said:

Good to see that the Former Head of Bristol City Comms has now been employed by the BBC.....at least confirm the team a player has singed for twice! Not change the team in the second sentence. 🤐 

Screenshot_20240720_193928_BBCSport.thumb.jpg.203925dc9b05935612e010c9f2c4bfc6.jpg

Hmmm, now you mention it, his eyebrows do look a little bit burnt.

On 19/07/2024 at 20:52, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't think Dickie is the best comparison tbh..

He was a snip, under £1m reportedly. In prime years, a bad 6 months or so..a known quantity who just needed a change maybe. 

I wonder how much his value has increased? I think he's good enough for the step up, he'd definitely be the first name on my team sheet, hopefully we'll not need to see Naismith or Atkinson unless it's rotational or Kal in midfield 

• Like 1

Just now, YorkshireSection said:

I wonder how much his value has increased? I think he's good enough for the step up, he'd definitely be the first name on my team sheet, hopefully we'll not need to see Naismith or Atkinson unless it's rotational or Kal in midfield 

He is certainly better than many QPR fans suggested. Surely worth more than we got him for, a bit of a Rolls Royce of a defender when in form.

One of the QPR fans on here suggested the right set-up etc is quite important for him, on the flip-side in a lower third PL side say in the right set-up and energetic midfield it could accentuate his strengths and mask some of his weaknesses.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One of the QPR fans on here suggested the right set-up etc is quite important for him

Which turned out to be bollocks, and belied the fact that he’d played left and right and back-3s and back-4s across his career.

+++

Dickie was £600k….source Tinnion.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Which turned out to be bollocks, and belied the fact that he’d played left and right and back-3s and back-4s across his career.

+++

Dickie was £600k….source Tinnion.

That was it, and yes versatile.

Do you think he (Dickie) could step up to the right lower PL side Dave? Be it with us or others. I still believe a fully fit pre injured Kalas in the right set-up could've been a squad player in the right lower 3rd side though.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That was it, and yes versatile.

Do you think he (Dickie) could step up to the right lower PL side Dave? Be it with us or others. I still believe a fully fit pre injured Kalas in the right set-up could've been a squad player in the right lower 3rd side though.

I dunno.  Ask me after I see Ipswich’s Woolfenden and Burgess perform.  If they do, then yes, as he’s better than them imho!

• Thanks 1

Just wanted to give my two cents on this transfer as a QPR fan.

Exciting player to watch who was a fan favourite albeit without ever really doing anything. Lightening quick and strong and feels like he just needs the final push to turn into an amazing player. However at the moment he can't currently trap a bag of cement and his finishing must be amongst the worst in the league.

2.5 million is worth the gamble if you have it spare in the hope he will develop. QPR seem to have used it to take a chance on a older, more proven striker, from abroad. This could be key as we have looked amazing under Cifuentes, but really lacked a striker to put away chances (many of us were dreaming of ways to try and get Nahki Wells back).

We offered him a long term contract in December, but apparently he has a very vocal agent in his ear telling him he should be earning more than we could offer and he should be the starting striker. We're unfortunately hamstrung by FFP so need to spend our money wisely.

Best of luck this season and i'm glad Dickie is doing well as he was a good player who was destroyed in Critchley/Ainsworth's system and his confidence was completely gone by the end. I suspect under Cifuentes he would still be playing for us/looking good. He does have a severe lack of pace though!

Edited by Loftusroadlad
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, MelksRed said:

Remember Sammy Szmodics? He didn't exactly set the world on Fire here....in fact, barely played, a different coaching team unlocked hs potential and re-roled him....had a good season last year

Question is....is our coaching team able to do that?

I wish people would stop holding this bloke up as an example. It took 5 seasons and two different clubs to get this guy up to standard, I can just imagine the post's on here at the end of each of those seasons. "Not developed", "Time to get rid" there is no way anyone would have been happy waiting that long for him to hit his stride.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I wish people would stop holding this bloke up as an example. It took 5 seasons and two different clubs to get this guy up to standard, I can just imagine the post's on here at the end of each of those seasons. "Not developed", "Time to get rid" there is no way anyone would have been happy waiting that long for him to hit his stride.

You don’t need to imagine what it would have been like, that was Bobby Reid - ‘ready to be driven to Plymouth’ on the eve of his breakout season. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Loftusroadlad said:

Exciting player to watch who was a fan favourite albeit without ever really doing anything. Lightening quick and strong and feels like he just needs the final push to turn into an amazing player. However at the moment he can't currently trap a bag of cement and his finishing must be amongst the worst in the league.

2.5 million is worth the gamble if you have it spare in the hope he will develop. QPR seem to have used it to take a chance on a older, more proven striker, from abroad. This could be key as we have looked amazing under Cifuentes, but really lacked a striker to put away chances (many of us were dreaming of ways to try and get Nahki Wells back).

We offered him a long term contract in December, but apparently he has a very vocal agent in his ear telling him he should be earning more than we could offer and he should be the starting striker. We're unfortunately hamstrung by FFP so need to spend our money wisely.

Best of luck this season and i'm glad Dickie is doing well as he was a good player who was destroyed in Critchley/Ainsworth's system and his confidence was completely gone by the end. I suspect under Cifuentes he would still be playing for us/looking good. He does have a severe lack of pace though!

I wouldn’t believe everything you read in terms of the fee . It’s seems it’s more like £1.5m with possible add ons . 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Loftusroadlad said:

Sometimes it just works out for players after a move. Dickie was a permanent fixture last season and he just got better as the season wore on and was probably our best most consistent player. Pretty dominant in defence and chipped in with a few match winning goals as well

Armstrong is the type of player we have needed for a few seasons as we lacked pace & strength up front, it’s not necessarily the goals but more a case of an outlet and chaos he can cause as he looks that type of player and create space for others we have brought in 

Time will tell if it’s money we’ll spent 

Good luck next season, I think you have a very good manager in Cifuentes 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Sometimes it just works out for players after a move. Dickie was a permanent fixture last season and he just got better as the season wore on and was probably our best most consistent player. Pretty dominant in defence and chipped in with a few match winning goals as well

Armstrong is the type of player we have needed for a few seasons as we lacked pace & strength up front, it’s not necessarily the goals but more a case of an outlet and chaos he can cause as he looks that type of player and create space for others we have brought in 

Time will tell if it’s money we’ll spent 

Good luck next season, I think you have a very good manager in Cifuentes 

I get where you’re coming from but, we desperately NEED a proven goalscorer, not another forward who may/may not chip in 5 goals a season. Fine, if this guy is in addition to that incoming striker … but I fear he isn’t. It seems we’ve spent a considerable sum on this 3 in 60 striker, which could have gone towards a quality goal scorer. 

Anyone got details of his ‘assists’ record? 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I get where you’re coming from but, we desperately NEED a proven goalscorer, not another forward who may/may not chip in 5 goals a season. Fine, if this guy is in addition to that incoming striker … but I fear he isn’t. It seems we’ve spent a considerable sum on this 3 in 60 striker, which could have gone towards a quality goal scorer. 

To get a proven goal scorer at championship level , you have to pay not just the fee but wages that we won’t pay . It’s not going to happen 

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

To get a proven goal scorer at championship level , you have to pay not just the fee but wages that we won’t pay . It’s not going to happen 

Mostly agree on this, fee wise I'd say £4-5m can do it.

Wages harder to gauge..this Swiss League one to QPR could turn our decent, reckon he might- fee £2-2.5m.

Whereas Latte Lath to Middlesbrough was £4m or so but came from albeit a fringe player from Atalanta (Serie A) so probably cheaper than the PL but not that cheap wage wise?

48 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Mostly agree on this, fee wise I'd say £4-5m can do it.

Wages harder to gauge..this Swiss League one to QPR could turn our decent, reckon he might- fee £2-2.5m.

Whereas Latte Lath to Middlesbrough was £4m or so but came from albeit a fringe player from Atalanta (Serie A) so probably cheaper than the PL but not that cheap wage wise?

But they’re not proven championship strikers. A proven 15-20 goal championship striker is the likes of che Adams & you ain’t getting him for £4-5m 

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

But they’re not proven championship strikers. A proven 15-20 goal championship striker is the likes of che Adams & you ain’t getting him for £4-5m 

Proven in equivalent decent Leagues can certainly work. Latte-Lath has 16 Goals year just gone.. proven Championship strikers like that in prime years often go upwards or to Parachute clubs minimum. Possibly even occasionally to European top flights.

I see what you are saying but Latte-Lath looks a strong pickup.

In respect of Stansfield, any likely inbound Transfer to this League would be a loan IMO, unsure Fulham are looking to sell yet.

Some Birmingham fans would like him back looking at Twitter.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Proven in equivalent decent Leagues can certainly work. Latte-Lath has 16 Goals year just gone.. proven Championship sffiekds like that in prime years often go upwards or to Parachute clubs minimum.

I see what you are saying but Latte-Lath looks a strong pickup.

In respect of Stansfield, any likely inbound Transfer to this League would be a loan IMO, unsure Fulham are looking to sell yet.

Some Birmingham fans would like him back looking at Twitter.

Yes but I was quoting someone who wrote about a proven championship striker . Those players may well hit the ground running but they’re not proven in England 

17 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Yes but I was quoting someone who wrote about a proven championship striker . Those players may well hit the ground running but they’re not proven in England 

Unless it is a loan, just not feasible really IMO. Occasionally Parachute clubs aside.

UK market is somewhat inflated in places too. Still a major price tag for a permanent comes with major wages, both out of our range.

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

39 appearances last season with three goals and three assists. But as I mentioned previously he's blowing out of his arse after 45 mins due to his power runs. I don't think I've ever seen him play a full 90 mins. Pretty much all of those 39 appearances would be 20-30 mins per game. Due to our financial position he's been cutting his teeth in the first team, when he should have been in the U23s, or out on loan to L1/2. Having won the ball his distribution used to be terrible, but I noticed towards the end of last season that it had improved massively.

At best you can say that return is based on 18 full games. So his return in either a goal or an assist is 1 in 3.

Edited by Qpr Fan
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, RedRock said:

To be honest mate, if you’re basing you opinion by using terms like “3 in 60 striker”, someone telling you the number of assists, or more details than that, ain’t gonna change your mind. 😉😉😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Qpr Fan said:

39 appearances last season with three goals and three assists. But as I mentioned previously he's blowing out of his arse after 45 mins due to his power runs. I don't think I've ever seen him play a full 90 mins. Pretty much all of those 39 appearances would be 20-30 mins per game. Due to our financial position he's been cutting his teeth in the first team, when he should have been in the U23s, or out on loan to L1/2. Having won the ball his distribution used to be terrible, but I noticed towards the end of last season that it had improved massively.

At best you can say that return is based on 18 full games. So his return in either a goal or an assist is 1 in 3.

I’ll revise my preliminary opinion - he is a far more prolific goalscorer than I first thought. Apologies all round. Promotion incoming. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 95red said:

Yeh he crap

3 hours ago, 95red said:

On par with Jon Akinde wait and see.

What an odd thing to do, quoting yourself. It's almost like you are annoyed that your fishing attempt didn't get any bites......

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Qpr Fan said:

Hopefully we can up his fitness levels like we did with Cam Pring. Also coach him into being more intelligent with his runs. 
I am not expecting 20 goals a season from the lad but if he can cause some chaos and take the hits that leave other players free then I’ll be happy.

He should be good for ten goals this season I would imagine. 

• Like 1

On 20/07/2024 at 10:08, ORANGE500 said:

These w**nkers were moaning and attacking the club when it was  claimed he might be signing for Stoke(Sunderland and Birmingham were also interested)now he's signed for us he's a load of crap it seems.So sick of these people and their grievance with Tinnion who else is so bored with that.

Some people on here (The loud WhatsApp group crew) have it out for JL, BT, and LM. They’re smart about it though, never directly saying anything bad, but always finding a way to knock anything positive. They avoid writing their criticisms down because they want to look like they’re always right and don’t want any proof that they could be wrong. It’s sad, really, trying so hard to seem right all the time in front of people they don’t even know. But anyway, that’s just how they are. I'm not sure when it will stop, and I genuinely can see it happening until BT / JL leave. 

I'm going to be interested in how the those who have been so negative around the leadership will try and spin things if we have a successful season. 

Anyway Orange, as always, I'm really looking forward to this season. 

COYR's.  

2 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Some people on here (The loud WhatsApp group crew) have it out for JL, BT, and LM. They’re smart about it though, never directly saying anything bad, but always finding a way to knock anything positive. They avoid writing their criticisms down because they want to look like they’re always right and don’t want any proof that they could be wrong. It’s sad, really, trying so hard to seem right all the time in front of people they don’t even know. But anyway, that’s just how they are. I'm not sure when it will stop, and I genuinely can see it happening until BT / JL leave. 

I'm going to be interested in how the those who have been so negative around the leadership will try and spin things if we have a successful season. 

COYR's.  

And on the other side of the coin we have people like 'Ghostie' who think everything in the garden is rosy.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Each to their own but what I find slightly disconcerting is too strong a term is some fsns trying to almost force-feed a narrative that all is well and nothing to see here.

As fans we all want the best for the team, the club. There are legitimate concerns IMO about wherher some of these aboce Manning are the best that 23 can attract or afford in that position.

My view is simple and maybe simplistic. As a club we should always at all levels at all times, be striving to be the very best that we can be and looking to hire the best thst we can afford and attract in the relevant positions.

That's all I desire- I don't clamour for £10m players, a clutch of expensive loanees or a £20m Transfer budget even though elements of these could help to push a club on, but I just hope that we are always looking to be the best we can be and constantly looking to build, progress- to take that next step.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

COYR's.  

Absolutely tosh. Many people say how they feel. I certainly do. You may get people who shy away from saying things  as they just get shot down by people like you who just blow smoke up the clubs ass at every opportunity and won’t say anything remotely constructive let alone negative. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Thank you, @Davefevs. Although, to be honest, you're the last person I expected to be discussing this with, but, I'd like to get your opinion on a few things you said:

"Jon Lansdown is incompetent for his role as Chairman." What makes you say that? Why do you believe he is incompetent? Jon has a Bachelor of Science in Economics and Management, which is a three-year degree covering business economics and management. Before that, he received top-tier private education at QEH. He also had exposure to a FTSE 100 company from a young age, which his father owns. So, when you say incompetent, what do you actually mean? Given his educational background and work experience, it's hard to believe we are actually sat here saying he's incompetent . He isn't some random kid; he's highly capable both educationally and professionally. People need to look beyond the fact that he is Steve Lansdown’s son. Why can't people see past it?

Simply because he doesn’t perform the role of Chairman at Bristol City competently.  His education and qualifications have little bearing on his execution of the role.  His execution as the Owner’s main-man has shown that he’s presided over some crap stuff, eg naivety over Mark Ashton, the flip-flopping strategic direction of Bristol City, etc.

Regarding Tinnion, you mentioned, "He is now in a role where he doesn’t have much experience." I would argue against that. Let’s break down some of the key responsibilities of a Technical Director:

- Overall Management and Strategic Direction
- Establishing Coaching and Playing Philosophies
- Administration and Technology Skills
- Establishing a Club Performance Culture
- Staffing Structure and Club Organization
- Staff Profiling and Recruitment
- Coach Development
- Player Profiling, Scouting, and Recruitment
- Operational and Procurement Processes
- Networking and Partnerships

Now, let's look at the facts rather than emotions. You said he lacks the experience and skill set.

Strategic Direction: Brian has been integral to this football club for a long time. He has been involved in the strategic aspect of the club in various capacities, whether as a player, manager, coach, or during his almost nine years as Director of Youth Recruitment. He also holds a UEFA Pro License. Given his various roles, it’s clear he has ample experience and skills.

Establishing Coaching and Playing Philosophies: Again, he does not lack experience here.

Administration and Technology Skills: While this is less certain, he has undoubtedly been exposed to these aspects (potentially being dyslexic is neither here not there) .

Establishing a Club Performance Culture: Whether you agree with his methods or not, it cannot be said he lacks experience or skill in this area.

Staffing Structure and Club Organization: He might lack experience here, I don't know. 

Recruitment: This is an area where he clearly doesn't lack experience or skills set. 

Coaching: He certainly has the experience and skill set.

Player Profiling: Another area where he is experienced.

Operational and Procedural Processes: He ticks this box.

Networking: He has a vast network.

In summary, claiming he lacks the skill set and experience does not hold up. You may not like him, and he might not be the "polished" article, but he certainly has the necessary experience and skill set for the role. Remember, we criticized Ashton for being too polished and a "suit." The club can't win either way.

I don’t dislike Brian at all.  You made a claim on FBC pod that I “hated Steve Lansdown”.  I don’t.  You like to throw out accusations like that to undermine.

Back to BT - Doing all those things you say above at Academy level is a different beast to doing it at First Team level and the whole club overall.  He needs to develop those skills at a different level to his previous execution of your task list.  He hasn’t played that key role at whole club level over the years since he was manager, he’s been very focussed on Academy, then loans.  I could just as easily repeat your list and say “doesn’t tick the box” for several of them.  All I’m saying is he needs support to develop them. If you read what I put.

I'm not saying both Jon Lansdown and Brian Tinnion are perfect—far from it—but no one is.

I’m not saying they are the spawn of Satan, although you’re keen to frame it that way.

At least these two individuals, who are in control of the football club, are deeply committed to it. We could do a lot worse. Remember, Dave, before you started supporting us, we were run by a keyboard player from Bros and the Pet Shop Boys. Given your concerns with experience now, you would have had a meltdown back then.

you mean a former keyboard player for those bands who’d also ran successful businesses, hence why he was an attractive person to bring onboard?  There’s someone who’s walked the walk of real-life. 

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 3
  • Flames 4

Perhaps I'm underestimating Tinnion and his network or looking at it wrongly but does he have a vast network and contact base?

One element of football networking is perhaps key contacts to tap favourable loan deals, not just what you can do but who you know..it's not pure, it is a little bit distasteful but it is part of the game.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps I'm underestimating Tinnion and his network or looking at it wrongly but does he have a vast network and contact base?

One element of football networking is perhaps key contacts to tap favourable loan deals, not just what you can do but who you know..it's not pure, it is a little bit distasteful but it is part of the game.

I think you pose the right questions Mr P.

Football is a very insular profession, it’s being able to cultivate those relationships within your network.  As per my post above, doing it at Academy level or as Loans Manager is different to doing it across the whole club.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Thank you, @Davefevs. Although, to be honest, you're the last person I expected to be discussing this with, but, I'd like to get your opinion on a few things you said:

"Jon Lansdown is incompetent for his role as Chairman." What makes you say that? Why do you believe he is incompetent? Jon has a Bachelor of Science in Economics and Management, which is a three-year degree covering business economics and management. Before that, he received top-tier private education at QEH. He also had exposure to a FTSE 100 company from a young age, which his father owns. So, when you say incompetent, what do you actually mean? Given his educational background and work experience, it's hard to believe we are actually sat here saying he's incompetent . He isn't some random kid; he's highly capable both educationally and professionally. People need to look beyond the fact that he is Steve Lansdown’s son. Why can't people see past it? 

Regarding Tinnion, you mentioned, "He is now in a role where he doesn’t have much experience." I would argue against that. Let’s break down some of the key responsibilities of a Technical Director:

- Coach Development

Now, let's look at the facts rather than emotions. You said he lacks the experience and skill set.

Strategic Direction: Brian has been integral to this football club for a long time. He has been involved in the strategic aspect of the club in various capacities, whether as a player, manager, coach, or during his almost nine years as Director of Youth Recruitment. He also holds a UEFA Pro License. Given his various roles, it’s clear he has ample experience and skills.

Establishing Coaching and Playing Philosophies: Again, he does not lack experience here.

Administration and Technology Skills: While this is less certain, he has undoubtedly been exposed to these aspects (potentially being dyslexic is neither here not there) .

Establishing a Club Performance Culture: Whether you agree with his methods or not, it cannot be said he lacks experience or skill in this area.

Staffing Structure and Club Organization: He might lack experience here, I don't know. 

Recruitment: This is an area where he clearly doesn't lack experience or skills set. 

Coaching: He certainly has the experience and skill set.

Player Profiling: Another area where he is experienced.

Operational and Procedural Processes: He ticks this box.

Networking: He has a vast network.

In summary, claiming he lacks the skill set and experience does not hold up. You may not like him, and he might not be the "polished" article, but he certainly has the necessary experience and skill set for the role. Remember, we criticized Ashton for being too polished and a "suit." The club can't win either way.

I'm not saying both Jon Lansdown and Brian Tinnion are perfect—far from it—but no one is. At least these two individuals, who are in control of the football club, are deeply committed to it. We could do a lot worse. Remember, Dave, before you started supporting us, we were run by a keyboard player from Bros and the Pet Shop Boys. Given your concerns with experience now, you would have had a meltdown back then.

Disgraceful that  a keyboard player for the Pet Shop Boys could  end up running a football club.

In fact It's a Sin

• Haha 7

Let’s break down some of the key responsibilities of a Technical Director:

- Coach Development

Could you point me to where this job spec comes from? To my knowledge City have never published Tinnion's job spec beyond the vague responsibilities set out in the press releases around his promotion to that role. The club doesn't even properly define what they think the "Chairman" should do (clue: it probably shouldn't include kit design).

Some of these responsibilities also clearly indicate that he should be formally appointed as a board director, at least at BCFC Ltd level.

Finally, possessing the qualifications to be offered a job is one thing. Delivering successfully in that job is another. Every manager, coach, or player has the qualifications and experience necessary to be given a job, but clearly not all succeed in them.

It's absolutely legitimate to criticise perceived failings, but that doesn't immediately mean that the person committing those failings is not qualified for that role.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think you pose the right questions Mr P.

Football is a very insular profession, it’s being able to cultivate those relationships within your network.  As per my post above, doing it at Academy level or as Loans Manager is different to doing it across the whole club.

Thanks Dave.

It absolutely it seems so. How often do you see players, coaches etc following managers to clubs hut any is an obvious level.

More subtle would he the Reading Chelsea cosy loan deals in their 2 Embargoed seasons. Then there was Wolves loan manager being an ex Stoke midfielder, it helps.

I remember Ferguson loaning a range of players to Preston when his son was manager there- and when his son sacked? Full recall! Welbeck among others.

It just feels like we are missing a trick somewhere, if I knew what exactly I would write to the club with varied ideas (not that they'd listen)..

(I'd also wonder if some or all of these Practices are legitimate under Competition Law, etc but nobody will take that on least of all Jon and Brian).

Establishing a Club Performance Culture - I assume our culture would be to play "front foot" football. That's what the man said wasn't it? Unless Liam significantly changes his philosophy over the next few months that one is going to be a significant fail. In my view, Liam Manning succeeding will still not see us playing front foot, in your face football. I'm sure it would be a lot better to watch than what he has shown to date but it won't be what the club initially told us they were after.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

I think we need to give a manager some time to bring in his own players before we start judging him. This season will be crucial in seeing how all the pieces of the jigsaw have come together in that regard. Things don't happen overnight, and implementing these changes (philosophies) and bringing in the right players takes time. In my opinion, LM and BT believe they are nearly there and just need ST to complete the jigsaw. For me, this season is pivotal. I’m more than happy to eat a huge slice of humble pie if they've (I've) got it wrong. This is why I'm on tender hooks about ST.  IMO I'm on the same page as LM and he is the vital signing. 

TBH I'm really not sure what Liam is going to deliver. What we do know is that he's now having his time on the grass that he wanted so what we see at the start of the season is, in principle, what we are going to get (unless it falls off a cliff and he needs to change it up). I am genuinely interested to find out what that looks like because Manning is clearly a manager that wants his team to pass the ball about and yet I see three signings that suggest we might be a little bit more direct when we get the ball to the final third. If that's what we are doing then we do need that player who can play one pass and put someone in.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Is it though? Is it that big a deal? Course not. It will be for those who don't like him (like yourself) though. 

??

It does not indicate a reliable Commercial Negotiating Partner who discloses as he did Undisclosed Fees in the Public Domain.

On an individual and club level, I'd argue that is misconduct by the letter of the law although I'd want a second opinion.

7 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Is it though? Is it that big a deal? Course not. It will be for those who don't like him (like yourself) though. 

It is a lack of professionalism that undermines our good reputation for being a club that deals with transfers well, including keeping such details confidential.

But looking at the wider issues, ask yourself this: Would any other Championship club employ Jon and Brian in their current roles?

Personally I don't think either is going to be head hunted any time soon.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Nobody will care in the footballing world, I'll tell you that. Do you genuinely believe that clubs won't deal with us now because of a slip on a small radio Bristol show. Nobody would have even heard apart from the few hundred of us who listened. Don't make it into an issue, as it simply isn't. Like I just said, its an issue because people want to make on of it, not because it is. 

I am unsure about that.

It happened once if not twice albeit possibly the same show.

It is also airily dismissed by those who think he is a great fit for the Role. Stoke and another club had a legal dispute over a hitherto Undisclosed Fee being disclosed although I'll try and find the case.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I quite happily air my criticisms and praise.  No need to hide any of it.

On the line, my opinions:

- Jon Lansdown is incompetent for his role as Chairman and not a professional kit designer.  He has a love of the creative side, and good luck to him with that hobby, albeit within the Bristol Sport safety blanket.

- Brian Tinnion is a passionate advocate of Bristol City.  He is now in a role where he doesn’t have much experience, and doesn’t have expertise around him to help him develop the bits lacking in his skillset. A tough learning curve for him.  I think some of that lack of skillset is borne out of this transfer window and his bullishness.  Could do with toning things down a bit, give himself some breathing space.

- Liam Manning is a bright young head-coach.  Based on his time here so far, he is learning on the job and finding it harder than he thought.  I think his approach is flawed, but willing to give him time to adjust his approach.  Before Easter he was looking out if his depth and I saw no signs of him changing, so I was “Manning out”.  After Easter we played a bit different, and I retract my “Manning out”.  But, it will be very interesting to see what he learned from that.  In making that statement I said I saw three ways out:

• he gets backed in the transfer market
  • he’s actually a really good head-coach and I got it wrong about his approach (and I’ll hold my hands up)
  • He realises that his Pep-ball approach is flawed for Bristol City in the Championship and adjusts / adapts

I don’t think that’s avoiding writing criticisms at all, it’s my opinion.  Maybe it’s not extreme enough.  But that’s because I don’t think it is extreme.

I’ll happily take challenge be enlightened on my opinion, if anyone wants to.  It’s challengeable, it’s just my opinion from what I see.  

I don’t think it’s sad, I think it’s because I care about Bristol City and want the best.  I don’t think we give ourselves the best opportunity for success.

I don’t have it in for any of them.  I’d love Jon to be a dynamic, competent Chairman, leading City as exemplar in the EFL.  As for Brian I’d love that passion to sit on top of a fully skilled Technical Director role.  And Liam, I’d love nothing better for him to get us promoted and even for him to say “shove that up your arse Fevs” playing the football he described to us on arrival and Brian said he would deliver for us…front foot attacking football.

I find it more sad to for some to be sycophantic and take everything they see or hear as positive, unchallengeable.

I think I speak on behalf of all of us on OTIB when I say that it would be hilarious to see Liam Manning with the microphone on the Ashton Gate pitch following our title win, shouting, “shove that up your arse Fevs”!!     🤣

In respect of the Undisclosed:

*Those who need to know at the respective Clubs will know it.

*Agents will know it.

*People may hear snippets.

*The EFL or relevant Governing body- FA, EFL etc.

*FIFA and who knows UEFA but FIFA with their Transfer Matching System will know it.

Nobody else has a right to know really.

Just now, Tim Monaghan said:

It doesn't matter. It hasn't happen. So its not an issue. As the saying goes, if my Nan had wheels, she'd be a bike. You'd just focusing in on one negative and not all the good he's done. 

I have praised him for his good work.

*Playing Days

*Academy

*As manager he was mostly poor but he did a) Launch Lita b) Adding Orr, Brooker and possibly he had injuries but I had hopes for Scott Brown at one point. Did Cotterill first appear under him too?

I just am unsure that he is up to this specific role. Or indeed as Dave mentions earlier in the thread, has the support structure around him to make it the best that he can.

This is a Forum, open to a range of differing views.

Always been supportive of the Lansdown’s and the massive amount of what they’ve done for our Club and are still doing. However, that’s not blind faith in all that they do. Steve made a couple of slips and Jon, may well be a product of a private school and have a degree, but it doesn’t necessarily follow that a degree in economics (or business whatever) makes you a competent designer or, indeed, Club Chairman. On the design front, something I know a small amount about, design rules are written for a reason. They are not tramlines, but guidance. Breach them for a reason, occasionally it works, often it fails. Our latest first team kit is a fail imo as it fails to follow basic design rules and having stepped outside of those, has not justified non-observance by creating anything excitingly different or unique - it’s just looks a mess of random shapes. Club Chairman role the jury’s out.

I understand our general recruitment strategy and budget constraints. We need to be the ‘best of the best’ in the areas we are recruiting in. Been a critic of our approach to recruitment for decades. The fact many smaller Clubs than us have passed us and got to the ‘promised’ land demonstrates to me at least we ain’t got it right. The fact we’ve  paid, in my opinion, massively over the odds for a player with potential but, seemingly, far from the finished article is worrying.  

Tins, again, have a lot of time for but is his skill-set really suited to this top position within the Club. Jury out. 

Anyhows, let’s hope this new guy is just what we need and scores 15-20 goals per season or provides a suitable foil one of the other forwards to deliver such numbers. Let’s also hope the home kit is a ‘grower’ and wins kit of the season awards. And finally, let’s hope that Jon and Tins decision- making delivers the front foot, high intensity, attractive and entertaining promotion winning football we all want sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Ask yourself, would you have employed Richard Gould when he was an officer in the Tank Regiment, before being the Commercial Director at this club?  

Sorry but that's a complete non- sequitur. The point is that at the time of his appointment he was already a widely admired CEO, as was Phil Alexander. We weren't looking for a novice.

Unless we are running an apprenticeship scheme that is only open to the owner's son and his mate then I want us to be recruiting the best possible people.

Though I may have missed the rigorous 6 week recruitment process that led to Jon and Brian being appointed.

• Like 3
  • Flames 6

Hi @ExiledAjax. There's no official "job spec" from BCFC that I have access to, but its the common outline of the role's responsibilities. For a detailed view, you can refer to Steven Dillions’ article on LinkedIn; he’s the Clubs and Leagues Manager at the Oceania Football Confederation and outlines the usual duties. However, it's similar to comparing HR roles across different companies: the core responsibilities are the same, but daily tasks vary based on specific demands and workloads. I don't think anyone disputes that.

The main point is that, within these parameters, the claim that he lacks experience or the necessary skill set is fundamentally untrue. The same applies to JL, as evidenced by unfounded comments about kit design.  It's all speculative, made to fit a narrative.

I agree with you about the non importance of qualifications and the ability to deliver. However, suggesting that JL and BT are incompetent is simply not true. As for BT's performance as Technical Director, as of now, I believe he’s doing a good job although, a bit rough around the edges.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't criticise legitimate failings, but asserting that JL is incompetent and that BT lacks the experience or skill set for their roles is, in my opinion, nonsense.

It’s all about perspectives, and I’m just offering a different viewpoint because many seem determined to criticise everything the club does. If that makes me a "happy clapper," so be it. I won't agree with something I don't believe in, and I’d expect the same from others, as long as it’s put forward respectfully, as you and @Davefevs have done.

It’s a good debate.

All fair points @Tim Monaghan and it's a worthy debate.

I think the thing that has most counted against JL is the position of Chief Executive.

The PA fiasco, came about because PA tried to bring a professional element to the position. There was a clash and only one winner (The Owner's son).

That I can take, but to then say "Actually we're going to do away with having an experienced Chief Executive altogether, because its another voice and we as a group of like minded leadership team don't want another opinion", is naive in the extreme. Football is a business like no other, so having a business degree doesn't really count for anything. Experienced, competent executives will be able to break everything down to the lay person, in a way in which it is understandable. The difference is the owners/Chairman might not want to hear the truth. Hence surrounding themselves with "Like minded individuals"  

At the moment, we are fumbling around as a club, almost treating it like a new business. To be successful, you have to recognise your own limitations and get experienced people in place. Then with those experienced people set boundaries and make them accountable (look at how Ipswich have managed Ashton, compared to us leaving him to his own devices).I get that Steve Lansdown wants to take more of a back seat and he has earned that right. But the Chairman has to be pro active and I'm not talking about kit designs and emblems here.

We have a stadium, fan base and infrastructure to reach the PL and sustain the team there. We just need to recognise that we nned to bring in (and trust) experienced football people to run the club more effectively. For instance, do we know at the moment why are operating costs are so high (covered this on the FBC before) in comparison to other Championship sides of a comparable size. No, we don't as the club doesn't break down the figures. But we seem to have over 700 working for us.

As for Tinnion, he tried managing (albeit 20 years ago), it didn't work. He's done very well with the Academy, but it's a massive step up to be the Head of all football operations. Normally you would employ someone in that position who has either a) done it before or b) Assisted someone doing it at a larger club or footballing institution, He's done neither.

The jury is out on Manning for me, but with a new coach at this level, what he needs to have is experienced Football senior management around him and I don't feel he has that at the moment. He's not the most natural of communicators, but has no-one to step in and do that for him either. He's got a tough job this year, I wish him the best.

Sorry couldn't resist JL's fever pitch bio again. Doesn't even mention that he's Chairman of the football club,

image.thumb.jpeg.27318bd3dccf1e689d652a9d693c663c.jpeg

Edited by NcnsBcfc
  • Like 7
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, CiderJar said:

I think that Mark Ashton described the 6-week process as vigorous. I still have no idea what he meant.

I think the 6 week process was to find a person that agreed with Jon Lansdown and could be described on that basis as "A good Human Being".

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Disgraceful that  a keyboard player for the Pet Shop Boys could  end up running a football club.

In fact It's a Sin

Leave the music gags to @Silvio Dante, that’s his domain.  Earlier he called me upset by your post and said “what have I, what have I, what have I done to deserve this”! 😉

I think we need to give a manager some time to bring in his own players before we start judging him. This season will be crucial in seeing how all the pieces of the jigsaw have come together in that regard. Things don't happen overnight, and implementing these changes (philosophies) and bringing in the right players takes time. In my opinion, LM and BT believe they are nearly there and just need ST to complete the jigsaw. For me, this season is pivotal. I’m more than happy to eat a huge slice of humble pie if they've (I've) got it wrong. This is why I'm on tender hooks about ST.  IMO I'm on the same page as LM and he is the vital signing. 

It will.  Most Championship managers get two windows on average and even that average is skewed by Mark Robins longevity.  I’m more than happy at this point in time to see how this season goes for him.

51 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Who is Tim Monaghan on FBC Pod? I thought it was just headhunter, Ian Gay and Mark

He often uses the text questions / comments.

I reckon @headhunter should transfer him in and put Ian Gay in the u21s.

I think we need to give a manager some time to bring in his own players before we start judging him. 

I do wonder, with the setup at AG, to what extent you can say the signings are Manning's players. We know he wants ST and reputedly was behind the Mebude loan.

I guess he has some say but maybe the players he had in mind for the 7,9 etc were very different from what the budget could deliver.

To an extent it is more about can he get the best out of the squad he's got, given he probably can't just add whoever he has in mind as perfect for the role he wants to fill. 

I am waiting to be convinced that he has the coaching ability required, although things did appear to be on an upward trend prior to the final day drubbing.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Leave the music gags to @Silvio Dante, that’s his domain.  Earlier he called me upset by your post and said “what have I, what have I, what have I done to deserve this”! 😉

It will.  Most Championship managers get two windows on average and even that average is skewed by Mark Robins longevity.  I’m more than happy at this point in time to see how this season goes for him.

He often uses the text questions / comments.

I reckon @headhunter should transfer him in and put Ian Gay in the u21s.

to be honest @Davefevs. @headhunter has some challenging squad selections issues for next year's podcasts. Not sure I can go through another season of Ian telling me I'm wrong every week.

13 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

to be honest @Davefevs. @headhunter has some challenging squad selections issues for next year's podcasts. Not sure I can go through another season of Ian telling me I'm wrong every week.

Do you reckon Tinnion would be prepared to replace Ian? At least then you would be told you were wrong by the organ grinder not his monkey. 😁

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I do wonder, with the setup at AG, to what extent you can say the signings are Manning's players. We know he wants ST and reputedly was behind the Mebude loan.

I guess he has some say but maybe the players he had in mind for the 7,9 etc were very different from what the budget could deliver.

To an extent it is more about can he get the best out of the squad he's got, given he probably can't just add whoever he has in mind as perfect for the role he wants to fill. 

I am waiting to be convinced that he has the coaching ability required, although things did appear to be on an upward trend prior to the final day drubbing.

Don’t forget, LM is more involved in the day-to-day recruitment process than Nige ever was…and that’s not a criticism or praise of one manager’s approach over another.  Nige wouldn’t be poring over clips like Liam (and Hoggy and Krause) would.  Brian talks about recruitment meetings and when players are presented to the decision makers, the player(s) selected to be progressed is unanimous.  That’s probably Becayse they’ve been involved along the process.  I know in Nige’s early days there was an element of the wrong players being presented, but once him and Gilhespy got in-tune it was much more a case of letting him get on with it.  Nor is that to say that Liam is overbearing either.  Although I do think he is a control-freak, not a criticism either, just the way he is.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Leave the music gags to @Silvio Dante, that’s his domain.  Earlier he called me upset by your post and said “what have I, what have I, what have I done to deserve thiis

Armstrong asked his agent whether he should choose City or Stoke.

His agent just said "Go West"!

12 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Armstrong asked his agent whether he should choose City or Stoke.

His agent just said "Go West"!

the board were adamant this was the best way to go, now they have to 'stand and deliver'

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Sorry but that's a complete non- sequitur. The point is that at the time of his appointment he was already a widely admired CEO, as was Phil Alexander. We weren't looking for a novice.

Unless we are running an apprenticeship scheme that is only open to the owner's son and his mate then I want us to be recruiting the best possible people.

Though I may have missed the rigorous 6 week recruitment process that led to Jon and Brian being appointed.

there was a q and a last year where the two of them quite openly admitted that there were bits and pieces that they could do,the rest they were going to learn on the job.   hardly fills you with confidence does it?

i know my views are very highly biased hence why i cant offer my views on tinnion or jl in this debate, it wouldnt be fair on anybody else to see exactly how much credit i give those two😉

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

It doesn't matter. It hasn't happen. So it’s not an issue. As the saying goes, if my Nan had wheels, she'd be a bike. You'd just focusing in on one negative and not all the good he's done. 

News at Ten don’t report when buses make it to their destination on time.

Tinnion has received plenty credit for the job he’s done at the club. Unfortunately, the negatives are more noticeable. It’s like when a keeper makes a mistake. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

An encouraging performance today. SA used his physical attributes well but was also trying to get into good goalscoring positions and got the reward. Bodes well.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chinapig said:

This is a completely fair point. The football club went to great lengths to bring back Mr Gould and then bring in Mr Alexander. 

What happened behind closed doors with Mr Alexander only a few really know. But Mr Alexander’s statements upon his departure were telling on a number of levels. 

The way appeared to open for Jon (with the required nod from Steve) with the assistance of Brian (or vice versa) to drag the club into utter turmoil, firing the most popular manager in years, who had dragged us back from the brink of points deductions and fines and was playing U18/U21 players in order for us to make a full complement.

The following weeks of utter bullshit that followed tore the supporters apart and was solely the responsibility of the people who had the senior management responsibilities at the time. 

21 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Yes I do think FBC has some decisions to make. 

As I have said before Independence v Knowledge. Journalists have to make that decision everyday. Many companies with issues buy critical websites, it’s pretty much the norm. 

I would never suggest money would ever change hands here but information is the currency

As I have said I’ll still listen in at least for the first couple of episodes, but I’ll give the revamped OSIB a whirl too!

Good luck to all above!

As for the ability and appropriateness of BT and JL, they started with a very low bar and have allowed the club to get dragged in to a dispute with what was our biggest asset leaving Manning to be the one going to the press and say he has banished the kid! Brilliant stuff! 

I hope we do well this season, very well, based upon the previously stated expectations of Brian and Jon and the financial support that Mr Manning is enjoying! 

Good luck to them too! 

• Like 3
  • Flames 4