IGNORED

Sinclair Armstrong - OFFICIALLY SIGNED

GabrielM

23 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I was told about this last week , apparently just over £2m . Seems they were fed up with the lads agent interfering and dicking the Club around. 
Now I've not seen a lot of him, but the QPR lads I know loved him when he first got in the side, and thought he had a big future. It gives us something of a physical prescience up front , different to the other forwards. I have liked the look of him the little I've seen and again it gives us options.

As a side note, I was told we had some talks with Willock too. 

image.png.d5b3f9b630edcd64377b5dce58b99fe1.png
you’daman Mike! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A proven striker on top would be good yes, especially if Conway is off.

Plus the possibility of the 10.

My guess is this is the 2nd striker signing to replace Conway.

i have little worry about a 21-year old, a 22-year old supported by Wells and backed-up by Cornick.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HengroveReds said:

Very smart business from club imo, yes lack of goals a worry but for sheer power pace and a bit of exposure to champ football, very good coup for club 

Great age too, could prove to be a big profitable asset for the club medium - long term. 

Alot to work on, and isn’t going to walk straight in the side, great peers to learn off wells etc, assume Fally will be the main man up top - all for it!

I wonder if the Irish lads in the squad know a little bit about him, especially Murphy??!

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

I wonder if the Irish lads in the squad know a little bit about him, especially Murphy??!

Knight and O’Leary were in the Irish squad that Armstrong made his full-debut in.

Murphy has played in the u21s with Armstrong.

IMG_1096.jpeg

IMG_1097.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My guess is this is the 2nd striker signing to replace Conway.

i have little worry about a 21-year old, a 22-year old supported by Wells and backed-up by Cornick.

That would figure yeah.

Yeah I'm just unsure...having said that 4 Goals and 3 Assists or vice versa in 39 is not bad at his age so maybe- medium term I am cautiously optimistic.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Yes

Are you implying just because he was injured last season hell he the same this season? 

He played 90 minutes only 19 times in his first season with us. It’s not great, especially as a CB where you tend to play the full 90. And last season was a disaster, let’s be honest.

He’s not reliable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Blimey, when he gets into his stride he’s rapid!

He looks a bit of a beast, won't get knocked off the ball easily and looks like he enjoys putting himself about' 

• Like 1

Taking it this deal is happening then it’s quite clear we are assembling a squad and in particular our front line with a lot of pace & power. 
Regardless of the negative comments regards age and goals/games for Armstrong, Yu & Fally, we are buying potential both on the pitch and potential financial gain

Its obvious the club have no intention in buying oven ready championship players as tried that and it got us in a right financial mess

If we do add Twine as a 10 or a n other  of a similar quality then I’m quite happy with what we have as a squad

I think Bird will be a very astute addition to the midfield which seems to have gone a little under the radar 

I would rather have a group of younger talented and hungry players than some of the mercenaries that steal a living and pick up injuries that are dubious at the best of times!!

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

I'm sure some of the stat king and followers of xG can advise but while the number of goals he's scored is poor do we know how many genuine chances he had? For example, if he scored from the only chance he had in the game that'd be a pretty decent strike rate wouldn't it? 

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

He played 90 minutes only 19 times in his first season with us. It’s not great, especially as a CB where you tend to play the full 90. And last season was a disaster, let’s be honest.

He’s not reliable.

I agree with his past record 

But we only have to look at Williams to see how a player can improve 

• Like 1

I really don't understand what alot of posters actually expect us to do in the transfer market... if we do bring in Armstrong, i'll be excited to see what he can do.

We've seen the fees that the likes of Parrott and Delap are going for and it is light years outside of our budget.

The other alternative is to sign strikers like Langstaff who have never played above the 4th tier, or foreigners we have never heard of.

He may be raw but he knows what The Champ is all about and we have been crying out for pace and power in the final third.

• Like 12
  • Flames 1

This is exciting news! Someone I suggested a while ago that we should be looking at on here. If you look at just his goal scoring you are missing the bigger picture. He is an absolute menace to defences and he brings others into the game well. He is absolutely the type of player Tinnion described when he was talking about someone that could hold the ball up but also could run the channels.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jose said:

Our problem last season? Scoring goals?  What do we do about it? Sign forward players that don’t really score goals…….. 

I realise that’s a negative way of looking at things( it’s been a long weekend)  and fingers crossed I’m completely wrong but it does seem slightly strange recruitment.

It's all we've got the money for, when you decide you must have Scott Twine too.

Agree about the lack of goals bit.

We can only hope that, between them, Twine and Hirakawa (whenever he's available to us) will create so many tap ins that even this fella and the French boy can't miss.

Bit optimistic that,  I'd say.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Just as bad 

IMG_0614.jpeg

To put it another way (and off the top of my head)...

According to those stats he's played 2,306 minutes in the Championship.

An average of around 38 minutes per the 61 games.

Which equates to 25 or 26 full 90 games.

At his scoring rate that would see him get 5 or maybe 6 goals per season.

How many did Conway score last season in open play ? But we all know he has potential so turn a blind eye to his paltry amount of goals.

Not that he is comparable in any way to Conway, more like Semenyo and it wouldn't surprise me if his stats are better than Semenyo at a similar stage, both of them were very raw at this age.

If City pull off this transfer I'll be impressed as well as excited to see him playing for us. The lack of goals doesn't bother me at all, there is a lot more to him than goals.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I really don't understand what alot of posters actually expect us to do in the transfer market... if we do bring in Armstrong, i'll be excited to see what he can do.

We've seen the fees that the likes of Parrott and Delap are going for and it is light years outside of our budget.

The other alternative is to sign strikers like Langstaff who have never played above the 4th tier, or foreigners we have never heard of.

He may be raw but he knows what The Champ is all about and we have been crying out for pace and power in the final third.

What is the upper end l we might spend on a player? Fee wise (before we get onto personal terms etc). Or indeed should spend.

£2.5m?

£4-5m?

I think we need to look beyond this, Semenyo was the same a few years ago and is now arguably a £20M plus player, he will go further than Scott, I understand up this way allegedly that Spurs and West Ham are very interested in him hence Bournemouth were obviously keen for a new deal. By contrast QPR fans rate Armstrong and don’t feel they’ve got the best out of him yet, he’s electric by all accounts and gets you on edge of your seat but makes wrong decisions in the box, but he’s a player to get in behind and cause problems, something we have lacked. With him, Fally and Yu joining it’s a big injection of pace a power we have lacked for some time. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, WorldWideRed said:

Think our business so far has been smart. Like this link also. Identified the need for physical runners and have gone out and got them. Just need one proven striker to top this off and then a good summer all round imo 

There would be no more strikers after this kiddie!

Only Conway leaving!

• Like 3

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

What is the upper end l we might spend on a player? Fee wise (before we get onto personal terms etc). Or indeed should spend.

£2.5m?

£4-5m?

Its not just about fees tho Mr P. The player has to want to come to Bristol City and we are likely to be competing against many other clubs for players signatures.

I have no idea about fees or wages but i am encouraged by this guy if we can get the deal done.

If, and it is still a big if, we manage to bring Twine in (perm or loan) then i think we've had a decent window.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'm sure some of the stat king and followers of xG can advise but while the number of goals he's scored is poor do we know how many genuine chances he had? For example, if he scored from the only chance he had in the game that'd be a pretty decent strike rate wouldn't it? 

You’re not buying a finished article, is the first comment I’d make.

IMG_1099.jpeg.eb5993ae9a2f77d8312d965735347baa.jpeg

Based on shots taken, he’s scored half the goals he should’ve….0.14 goals p90 vs 0.30 xG p90.  You can see his Goal conversion is below average, just 7% (goals v shots).

IMG_1102.jpeg.5cc82fe0b90b746223f1dbc0c163c4a3.jpeg

Most shots coming from wide(ish positions)

But what you’re buying immediately is what he can do with the ball at his feet, where he is at his best.  Red line is average of all Championship forwards.

IMG_1100.jpeg.98e59aaa1ad79e474c7051c6a1657d91.jpeg

Just for comparison here is Semenyo in 20/21:

image.jpeg.9a9d540148616f1b580a8c342948b75d.jpeg

and 22/23 where he started to get more chances centrally and improved his goals return efficiency.

image.jpeg.7ee957aaadde8b3bcae0d1dee519fdc1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This seem like desperation from tinnion, seems we have explored all our options to no avail , his return certainly doesn’t suggests this is a good replacement for TC , Sinclair and Fally is massively untested and a big gamble. 

• Like 1

I don't mind the signing as a developmental project. My main concern is we need a couple of these signings to make an immediate impact, this seems quite a step down from the Auxerre and Croatian bloke we were looking at. That is the quality needed for us to progress. Hopefully in for another striker but that seems unlikely with our funds.

Edited by Dynamite Red
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Its not just about fees tho Mr P. The player has to want to come to Bristol City and we are likely to be competing against many other clubs for players signatures.

I have no idea about fees or wages but i am encouraged by this guy if we can get the deal done.

If, and it is still a big if, we manage to bring Twine in (perm or loan) then i think we've had a decent window.

Ah well this is totally true Edgy, enticing them- think we have a decent amount of headroom.

The window isn't too bad agreed, decent..just feels like if we are striving for top 6 this season not quite sure.

A profile.Latte Lath Middlesbrough last season.

6 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

This seem like desperation from tinnion, seems we have explored all our options to no avail , his return certainly doesn’t suggests this is a good replacement for TC , Sinclair and Fally is massively untested and a big gamble. 

Gamble is the word I would use.

Have cautious optimism for those two in the medium term and beyond but maybe a slow start.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

I don't mind the signing as a developmental project. My main concern is we need a couple of these signings to make an immediate impact, this seems quite a step down from the Auxerre and Croatian bloke we were looking at. That the quality needed. 

That is the quality that's needed, indeed.

Memo to the owner, perhaps?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

If you are talking just goals, how many did TC score from open play last season ?

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Gamble is the word I would use.

Have cautious optimism for those two in the medium term and beyond but maybe a slow start.

A slow start and it won't be long before Manning is under pressure. I still think a lot of fans need convincing that replacing NP with him was the right move. It will only need a poor start for all that to come back to the fore imo.

7 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

A slow start and it won't be long before Manning is under pressure. I still think a lot of fans need convincing that replacing NP with him was the right move. It will only need a poor start for all that to come back to the fore imo.

As a dyed-in-the-wool Pearson man, I'd say we really need to move on from all that.

For the sake of everyone's sanity, if nothing else.

New season, clean slate. Let's look forward, not back.

Not saying Manning has impressed me very much, mind!

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 14
  • Robin 2

3 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Jeez good stuff , let’s hope for that then , I’m sure it would please a few on here 

7 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Would Armstrong likely play wide right in an attacking 3? Mayulu down the middle and Hirakawa wide left?

No.

Plus no one hopefully thinks all 3 would form our first choice attack.

They are part of our attacking options not our first choice selection.

Can’t see Mayulu & Armstrong being a pair, more an either/or.

• Like 1

Just now, Cov 77 said:

Jeez good stuff , let’s hope for that then , I’m sure it would please a few on here 

All I'm saying is you have to be realistic about the risk involved with only signing young, unproven players with scope to improve. Manning doesn't have that much goodwill in the bank. I obviously hope they turn out to be great signings who click straight away but it is him who is likely to get the pressure if we struggle early on.

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

No.

Plus no one hopefully thinks all 3 would form our first choice attack.

They are part of our attacking options not our first choice selection.

Can’t see Mayulu & Armstrong being a pair, more an either/or.

QPR fans feel Armstrong is not a wide player, he needs to be developed into a number 9 centrally. I think he will go with the strange Twine 10 positioning behind Mayulu and Yu supporting. With Knight, Williams and Bird as a three. Personally think we need an Odegaard/KDB type to play that attacking mid role. 

Rumours online of £250K approx for Armstrong.  To be honest I wonder if this means we are blowing rest of the budget on Twine as maybe Burnley will only sell him and Birmingham are known to get happy to pay decent fees it seems. Could be a case of we reduce outlay on another 9 and invest full budget into getting Twine for £3M/4M. Not sure that’s wise or the reality but a thought. 

3 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

QPR fans feel Armstrong is not a wide player, he needs to be developed into a number 9 centrally. I think he will go with the strange Twine 10 positioning behind Mayulu and Yu supporting. With Knight, Williams and Bird as a three. Personally think we need an Odegaard/KDB type to play that attacking mid role. 

Hirakawa and Sykes either side of Wells or Mayulu or Sinclair, surely?

Twine behind.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Rumours online of £250K approx for Armstrong.  To be honest I wonder if this means we are blowing rest of the budget on Twine as maybe Burnley will only sell him and Birmingham are known to get happy to pay decent fees it seems. Could be a case of we reduce outlay on another 9 and invest full budget into getting Twine for £3M/4M. Not sure that’s wise or the reality but a thought. 

Nowhere near.

• Like 2

As others have said, he looks very reminiscent of a young Semenyo.

As an all-round athlete, he looks excellent. Quick, strong, powerful, relatively tall. It's hard to quantify the trouble that can cause for defences.

Yes, 4 goals in 40 games last season doesn't sound great, but if you want to put a positive spin on it:

• He comes to us having played a good number of Championship games. We shouldn't have to worry too much about him 'adapting' to this league - he's already spent a couple of seasons playing in it.

• He turned 21 less than a month ago. Plenty of time to grow and develop.

• Given that he's 21 and a great athlete, if he had even an average goal return then he wouldn't be a realistic target for us (or most other Championship sides), especially given the fees we seem willing to pay.
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Hirakawa and Sykes either side of Wells or Mayulu or Sinclair, surely?

Twine behind.

Has everyone forgot Mehmeti? Big season for him he came on well end of last season.

• Like 19

16 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Personally think we need an Odegaard/KDB type to play that attacking mid role. 

Good luck with that..

• Haha 11

11 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Rumours online of £250K approx for Armstrong.  

As I said , and if what I heard is right and it was way ahead of any online links so I trust the source , it was £2m+ .
Now I don't know how that shaped up , just passing on what I heard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

As others have said, he looks very reminiscent of a young Semenyo.

As an all-round athlete, he looks excellent. Quick, strong, powerful, relatively tall. It's hard to quantify the trouble that can cause for defences.

Yes, 4 goals in 40 games last season doesn't sound great, but if you want to put a positive spin on it:

• He comes to us having played a good number of Championship games. We shouldn't have to worry too much about him 'adapting' to this league - he's already spent a couple of seasons playing in it.

• He turned 21 less than a month ago. Plenty of time to grow and develop.

• Given that he's 21 and a great athlete, if he had even an average goal return then he wouldn't be a realistic target for us (or most other Championship sides), especially given the fees we seem willing to pay.

That’s all fair.

He also knows Dickie from QPR, Max, Sykes & Knight from Ireland squads & unlike Mayulu & Hirakawa, is an English speaker.

In addition to the points you made, his settling in should be far easier, therefore.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Personally think we need an Odegaard/KDB type to play that attacking mid role. 

I reckon we should make a bid for that Yamal kid from Barcelona. They’re not going to want much for someone that young and I reckon he could develop into a bit of a prospect for us.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

I think it is fair to say (assume) we have missed some higher priority targets, but that’s football.  You set your targets high, just in case you pull one off.

Armstrong won’t have been our first choice, but that’s not to say he’s not someone we’d want.

+++++

I think we have to get away from trying to perm forward options into pigeon-holed positions.

Mayulu can play more than one role / position, as can Armstrong, as can Cornick, as can Hirakawa, as can Cornick, as can Bell.  The only one I’d really class as one-positioned is Wells, and he spent half a season playing left wing!!

Lets at least see a few preseason games first.

(I’ve left Conway off)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it is fair to say (assume) we have missed some higher priority targets, but that’s football.  You set your targets high, just in case you pull one off.

Armstrong won’t have been our first choice, but that’s not to say he’s not someone we’d want.

+++++

I think we have to get away from trying to perm forward options into pigeon-holed positions.

Mayulu can play more than one role / position, as can Armstrong, as can Cornick, as can Hirakawa, as can Cornick, as can Bell.  The only one I’d really class as one-positioned is Wells, and he spent half a season playing left wing!!

(I’ve left Conway off)

First time for a while I've had any interest. Looking forward to August 3rd.

23 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

FFP still applies to Birmingham, they still need to hit varied criteria and think of their position as and when they return..it was declared that their income will drop post relegation but they are hard to read atm.

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

As I said , and if what I heard is right and it was way ahead of any online links so I trust the source , it was £2m+ .
Now I don't know how that shaped up , just passing on what I heard.

Think you’re much more likely to be right than online nonsense about £250k for a bloke under contract with QPR for another year.

Question then is how much up front (probably just over half) and how much is based on clauses (number of appearances).

Reality is we’ll never know, unless Tinnion blurts it out in an interview in the next few months, that is..

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Think you’re much more likely to be right than online nonsense about £250k for a bloke under contract with QPR for another year.

Question then is how much up front (probably just over half) and how much is based on clauses (number of appearances).

Reality is we’ll never know, unless Tinnion blurts it out in an interview in the next few months, that is..

FWIW, @1960maaan was the person who told me.  So, hopefully at some point we might find out a possible breakdown (even if rumoured) of the fee / add-ons.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

+++++

(I’ve left Conway off)

Cornick's so versatile you listed him twice!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Hope we dont spend that crazy amount on twine.

I'm going to sit on the fence until we've seen the young lad play and how we're going to set up. If he ties up the defence perhaps it will create more space for our other forwards. Most of whom have scope for progression and most of whom need to up their goal scoring. 

I wonder if someone like- obviously not him but someone akin to Latte-Lath could be the correct profile.

He cost £4.3m iirc. Although seen claims of £4m too.

A marquee or more established striker for the level probably costs in the £4-5m bracket- if you can find one for cheaper or produce one of your own, great.

Like his pace and power and would welcome the signing if Conway is certainly off.

Said it a while back as a joke we would sign forwards and would end up starting Wells up front against Hull on opening day. With this probably being the Conway replacement it will likely be the case.

Will take Fally a while to get up to speed and Armstrong isn't the best on his own up front, was left chasing lost causes a lot at QPR and would snatch at chances when they eventually fell. 

Losing some key experience and adding potential once again, feels like another middling season that will be over by February, hopefully not. Gunna need some things to fall our way for sure.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Like his pace and power and would welcome the signing if Conway is certainly off.

Said it a while back as a joke we would sign forwards and would end up starting Wells up front against Hull on opening day. With this probably being the Conway replacement it will likely be the case.

Will take Fally a while to get up to speed and Armstrong isn't the best on his own up front, was left chasing lost causes a lot at QPR and would snatch at chances when they eventually fell. 

Losing some key experience and adding potential once again, feels like another middling season that will be over by February, hopefully not. Gunna need some things to fall our way for sure.

Would tend to agree.

Looking and thinking there could be better for the here and now our there. If we want to get ahead of the game with these two S-P-H and Yeboah excellent I applaud it- but here and now.

These with acclimatisation and growth feel medium term and beyond IMO. Or at least a while into the season in the case of Fally moreso. Armstrong a bit longer.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Would say your correct but they sold us Dickie for 700k, so not sure what the numpties over there are thinking! 

I think we need to wait and see, rather than write him off now - we've got a good coaching staff who can help him develop. I can see him being developed as a possible inside forward, but as it stands, I think he's a good handful to bring off the bench. I also think Wells will help him out.

46 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I wonder if someone like- obviously not him but someone akin to Latte-Lath could be the correct profile.

He cost £4.3m iirc. Although seen claims of £4m too.

A marquee or more established striker for the level probably costs in the £4-5m bracket- if you can find one for cheaper or produce one of your own, great.

Stop worrying about profile, age and fee, Mr P!

We are recruiting in a different market to the one you’re suggesting we should be.

• Confused 1