IGNORED

Sinclair Armstrong - OFFICIALLY SIGNED

GabrielM

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

How do you know it was City who let the cat out of the bag?

How do you know it wasn't QPR?

How do you know it wasn't the player or his agent?

We haven't signed Sinayoko or Kulenovic because we don't have the money to meet the asking price. Nothing to do with letting cats out of bags.

Engage your brain.  

Without following in minute detail, it sounds like QPR trying to get us into a bidding war. Depending on our list of targets, if that's the case just shut it down, and move on.

Edited by Sleepy1968

39 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Jesus I clicked on here to see if we were signing anyone and saw this was hot,turns out it’s a load of old nonsense with people clutching at straws 

Very little about the subject of the thread - more about Twine! I wish people wouldn’t have detailed discussions about the club in general in threads about specific players.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

You and @cheese need to keep an eye on Ian Gay's tweets for a cryptic heads up. Just make sure your phone is charged & tell Tins to do one if he offers under ¥10k per week. Tip: If your counter demand is higher than his offer, Tins will use his special negotiating powers (Jon) to bid you up.

The fact I even run like a rugby player and am utterly shite at football doesn't matter then? 😉

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes and no IMO.

I'll do my workings on the main FFP thread but reckon we could even stretch to a £4-5m striker without causing ourselves any notable problems.

If we are seeking to be in a position where are clear of FFP at all times and any Profit on Disposal of Players can be treated as a bonus then yeah FFP is notably more apparent.

Likewise the new much vaunted 70% Rule.

I'm thinking more holding some budget back until jan

48 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

3 Goals and 4 Assists in 25 Games for Hull or was it 4 and 3 was his other number for the season.

Not the only metric but a starting point. Is that a high enough return?

At Hull, who were gunning for a playoff spot whilst he was there, he had, if I recall correctly, the 2nd highest ‘chances created’ or ‘key passes’ stat in the league. 

That doesn’t translate to the all-important goals and assists column but he was the 2nd most creative player in the division. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Very little about the subject of the thread - more about Twine! I wish people wouldn’t have detailed discussions about the club in general in threads about specific players.

A lot of it is about financial stuff which if we haven’t got a thread for we should so we can concentrate on what a awful signing someone will be on the transfer section 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

At Hull, who were gunning for a playoff spot whilst he was there, he had, if I recall correctly, the 2nd highest ‘chances created’ or ‘key passes’ stat in the league. 

That doesn’t translate to the all-important goals and assists column but he was the 2nd most creative player in the division. 

Thanks, that is a mark in his favour

I think actually key passes and chances created are important- such metrics can underpin, if he can translate some of that to here then he suddenly looks strong value.

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Jesus I clicked on here to see if we were signing anyone and saw this was hot,turns out it’s a load of old nonsense with people clutching at straws 

Sometimes you just have to suck it up.

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Your new to otib I take it ? 😉

He's lucky he didn't click on a thread derailed by puns! :whistle2:

50 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

The fact I even run like a rugby player and am utterly shite at football doesn't matter then? 😉

They're getting to the stage where they can't be too picky.

• Haha 2

Apparently both had offers accepted. 

Paywall so I've copied below:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-41437930.html

Jon Walters influence could lean Irish striker Sinclair Armstrong towards Stoke
Bristol City have been long-time admirers of Armstrong and were on track to hatch a deal until fellow Championship outfit Stoke City upped their interest in recent days.
STRONG INTEREST: Sinclair Armstrong is linked with a move to Stoke City. Photo by Eóin Noonan/Sportsfile

Transfer activity for the Irish this summer has been sluggish but Sinclair Armstrong appears to be next striker to move after Troy Parrott.

AZ Alkmaar last week ended Parrott’s time at Tottenham Hotspur by prising the forward in a £7m switch and his former youth teammate is also likely to be leaving London behind in a multimillion deal.

Armstrong – the 21-year-old handed his senior Ireland debut by Stephen Kenny as a late substitute against Netherlands – is only under contract at QPR by virtue of the year’s extension they club activated midway through the last season.

Bristol City have been long-time admirers of his and were on track to hatch a deal until fellow Championship outfit Stoke City upped their interest in recent days.

Both clubs are understood to have reached QPR’s valuation, considering he’ll be available on a free next summer, and have left the decision in the player’s hands.

Where Stoke may hold sway is the player’s past relationship with Jon Walters, this year’s elevated to the position of Sporting Director at the club he lined out for.

Walters worked as an assistant of Ireland Under-19 manager Tom Mohan during Sinclair’s year at that level and came to appreciate the prowess he provides in attack

42 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

We have a few Lee Dzierzkowskis on here tbf so wouldn’t take much notice of that 

He appears to be a Stoke fan, but of a billy but is a fan 

Also if true they were interested on Friday , story didn’t break to yesterday 

4 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Apparently both had offers accepted. 

Paywall so I've copied below:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-41437930.html

Bristol City have been long-time admirers of Armstrong and were on track to hatch a deal until fellow Championship outfit Stoke City upped their interest in recent days.
STRONG INTEREST: Sinclair Armstrong is linked with a move to Stoke City. Photo by Eóin Noonan/Sportsfile

Transfer activity for the Irish this summer has been sluggish but Sinclair Armstrong appears to be next striker to move after Troy Parrott.

AZ Alkmaar last week ended Parrott’s time at Tottenham Hotspur by prising the forward in a £7m switch and his former youth teammate is also likely to be leaving London behind in a multimillion deal.

Armstrong – the 21-year-old handed his senior Ireland debut by Stephen Kenny as a late substitute against Netherlands – is only under contract at QPR by virtue of the year’s extension they club activated midway through the last season.

Bristol City have been long-time admirers of his and were on track to hatch a deal until fellow Championship outfit Stoke City upped their interest in recent days.

Both clubs are understood to have reached QPR’s valuation, considering he’ll be available on a free next summer, and have left the decision in the player’s hands.

Where Stoke may hold sway is the player’s past relationship with Jon Walters, this year’s elevated to the position of Sporting Director at the club he lined out for.

Walters worked as an assistant of Ireland Under-19 manager Tom Mohan during Sinclair’s year at that level and came to appreciate the prowess he provides in attack

Jon Walters is a link for him , but we have three ROI teammates and ex QPR in Dickie that may count for us 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

What with the Twine saga and this our man Tinnion has got his work cut out. These were the two key signings. A big number 9 who was physical and could hold the ball and a creative number 10. 

Just imagine if we don’t have any back up options 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

What with the Twine saga and this our man Tinnion has got his work cut out. These were the two key signings. A big number 9 who was physical and could hold the ball and a creative number 10. 

You don’t think Mayulu was a big number 9?

• Flames 1

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You don’t think Mayulu was a big number 9?

I thought he was going to be it, when we got Yu in. I thought any more funds would be thrown at the "10" .

Not sure how likely Armstrong is now , Stoke and Birmingham in for him , but might mean they could reallocate funds to Twine or whoever.

18 minutes ago, BristolGit said:

Just imagine if we don’t have any back up options 

We are already working our way through them, nor is it unusual to not get your first choice(s) when you’re a club like City.

• Flames 2

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I thought he was going to be it, when we got Yu in. I thought any more funds would be thrown at the "10" .

Not sure how likely Armstrong is now , Stoke and Birmingham in for him , but might mean they could reallocate funds to Twine or whoever.

Birmingham?

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Birmingham?

Just had a quick chat with the mate who told me about Armstrong last week, he mentioned them.

That said , he also said the agent was playing up so it could be bluff. Plus Brum seem to be linked with everyone ATM.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

This is spot on, and I think there is a lot of revisionism over Twine. The one excellent game in his loan spell was against an already relegated Rotherham - and as has been said, we know he can tear apart league one teams.

Thinking on the games he had, he was decent, no more, against Leicester, poor against Plymouth and Stoke (although allowances as last game and part of an overall poor performance), Watford it was something like 44% pass completion and he was abysmal and disinterested against Huddersfield.

The last eight games showed a change in approach overall to be more “front foot” and we got results - but probably ones that outstripped performances - and I would argue the correlation is not causation card. It’s hard to argue we deserved the point in both Sunderland and Huddersfield (and although we won on intent vs Leicester Vardy should have seen it out of sight) and anyone saying he’s the top six difference maker when we were generally average with him in the side in a favourable run is a bit overly optimistic.

At this point he’s a league one proven player whose last good season was two years ago at that level. And both my eyes and the stats say that.

For me, the question is not 'was Twine impressive in his loan spell', because he was clearly up and down and didn't exactly shine.

I think the question is 'did we see Twine at his best or is there another gear?'

If City sign him, that says to me that there's a confidence that the best is yet to come in a City shirt. They might be wrong, or they might be right (PiL), but I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt, personally. 

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Why would we in theory spend a million plus on this lad, plus salary when tyrese/ an other is on a free?

I can’t believe we would be the only club interested.

As has been shown by Armstrong even those with pretty mediocre records so far are on the radar of other Championship clubs.

With Tyrese he’s also had a difficult situation to come to terms with this summer, he might even take a short spell out of the game to overcome it.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I can’t believe we would be the only club interested.

As has been shown by Armstrong even those with pretty mediocre records so far are on the radar of other Championship clubs.

With Tyrese he’s also had a difficult situation to come to terms with this summer, he might even take a short spell out of the game to overcome it.

Similar to what I was gonna say.

9 hours ago, mozo said:

For me, the question is not 'was Twine impressive in his loan spell', because he was clearly up and down and didn't exactly shine.

I think the question is 'did we see Twine at his best or is there another gear?'

If City sign him, that says to me that there's a confidence that the best is yet to come in a City shirt. They might be wrong, or they might be right (PiL), but I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt, personally. 

So, the hope, against evidence, is that he’s the anti Tony Dinning.

Its an expensive way to validate a hunch.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Port Red said:

A lot of money on a big gamble. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

So, the hope, against evidence, is that he’s the anti Tony Dinning.

Its an expensive way to validate a hunch.

Well I wouldn't call it a hunch. They've seen him in training for half a season. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Down to the player to choose between Stoke or us! This one will be interesting. Previously worked with Jon Walter’s at youth level (technical director Stoke) could be a big factor. 

Stoke will just do what they always do and chuck money on top of what we can pay on wages to win the race

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

I’m sure Armstrong will pick us over Stoke after finding out he was our first choice target (after Sylla, Sinayoko and Kulenovic)

Stoke are at the same point of the transfer as we are and I doubt most players are naive enough to believe they are always first choice.

Mmm. Guess this comes down to salary offered and you’d think if he’s a top target for Stoke they’ll out wage us

Albeit for all we know he’s had the medical, bought a flat on the waterfront and shopping at Sainsburys on Winterstoke Road as we speak and it’s all lined up to be announced lunchtime

6 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

What’s reckon then cheddar. 

Honestly not sure about the upfront cost. Dosent make sense to me how were chucking 2.5m at this fella, when we could spend maybe a million extra up front to sign Sinayoko, who is more proven - rec team must see something we dont.

Seems a bit strange 

• Thanks 1

I don't think we'd have had 'positive' conversations if the price was £2.5m. That could easily be, say, £1.2m with a goals clause, appearance clause and promotion clause as potential extras. Or it could just be incorrect.

I'd like us to sign the guy though. No reason at all we can't beat Stoke to a signature, I'd hope. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I don't think we'd have had 'positive' conversations if the price was £2.5m. That could easily be, say, £1.2m with a goals clause, appearance clause and promotion clause as potential extras. Or it could just be incorrect.

I'd like us to sign the guy though. No reason at all we can't beat Stoke to a signature, I'd hope. 

There’s one very good reason, the Coates family chucking cash at his weekly wage……

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

There’s one very good reason, the Coates family chucking cash at his weekly wage……

Yea that's fair. If they blow us out the water on wages, there's not much to be done. But if it's a straight shootout between the clubs in terms of project, facilities, location, I think we can do them. We'll see how this plays out!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Just pay the money for Sinayoko, it’s why we are always mid table, we don’t push ourselves to that next level, it isn’t going to give us an FFP issue. 

• Like 11

Just now, Lord Northski said:

I've travelled a bit, but nothing in Western Europe quite prepares you for just how horrible Stoke is. Why anyone would choose to live or work there is almost beyond comprehension. 

As always, you don’t have to live there and regards working - a pristine pitch is a pristine pitch wherever you are! 

28 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

How does that affect FFP?

Exactly, they're bound by the same rules as the rest of us.

There are 2 FFP angles to look at.

1) The 3 year Rolling Losses.

2) The new upcoming much vaunted 70% Rule.

3) Possibly point 1, feeding into the Future looking obligations.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Exactly, they're bound by the same rules as the rest of us.

There are 2 FFP angles to look at.

1) The 3 year Rolling Losses.

2) The new upcoming much vaunted 70% Rule.

3) Possibly point 1, feeding into the Future looking obligations.

The difference is stoke are willing to put there money were there mouth is, we are not.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 3