IGNORED

Sinclair Armstrong - OFFICIALLY SIGNED

GabrielM

22 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Fears of how Tinnion would handle this window appear to be well founded. We do the hard yards in identifying the player and then hang around until another club comes in for him.

If that's the case how did we sign the other two players ,It could possibly be down to the selling club it might not always be city to blame or Tinnion though with some it always will be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Red Army 75 said:

I wish he would keep his mouth shut, getting fans hopes up. Just keep it to yourself, stop telling us what we want to hear. 

As far as I am aware he hasn't said anything for two weeks or more, unless we are to believe that Bristol Boy is his mouth piece, which I don't think is true anymore. 

6 hours ago, Hocca said:

Surely we can get better for 2.5m!

No, you want a good championship striker who is closer to the finished article then you need to spend 7 to 12 million,

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

As far as I am aware he hasn't said anything for two weeks or more, unless we are to believe that Bristol Boy is his mouth piece, which I don't think is true anymore. 

Yet some believe the waffle that comes out of his mouth 

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Bristol boy, I pay no attention to this person. I suspect you’re right about mouth piece. 

I just prefer it when it’s kept in house, 

Just now, Red Army 75 said:

Bristol boy, I pay no attention to this person. I suspect you’re right about mouth piece. 

I just prefer it when it’s kept in house, 

So have you seen anything directly from the club or Tinnion on Armstrong?

Just now, Port Said Red said:

So have you seen anything directly from the club or Tinnion on Armstrong?

No not on Armstrong, but when we have missed out on a couple of players surely even Tinnion isn’t that stupid to carry on blurting shit out

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Fears of how Tinnion would handle this window appear to be well founded. We do the hard yards in identifying the player and then hang around until another club comes in for him.

When Gavin Marshall was asked who negotiates transfer deals etc for us on a podcast, he couldn't answer the question. That rang alarm bells for me. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Have I missed something? People seem to be writing this off as a deal we’ve missed, have Stoke gazumped us?

No evidence of this as a deal we have missed. I think people just feel we have been here many times before and fear the worst.

When this first broke it was on the lines of 'Advanced Talks' and 'set to 'prise an asset away' from a championship rival. A couple of days later and another club is seemingly in for the player. Can't blame people for fearing the worst.

Edited by supercidered
spelling
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, supercidered said:

No evidence of this as a deal we have missed. I think people just feel we have been here many times before and fear the worst.

When this first broke it was on the lines of 'Advanced Talks' and 'set to 'prise an asset away' from a championship rival. A couple of days later and another club is seemingly in for the player. Can't blame people for fearing the worst.

In A Nutshell GIF

2 minutes ago, Ashtongreight said:

Deals are difficult to get over the line, better nothing is said until the deal is signed and sealed 

Tbh football is a leaky industry and has been for years. Clubs hate it but it is.

These things often can just find a way, from one source or another.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tbh football is a leaky industry and has been for years. Clubs hate it but it is.

These things often can just find a way, from one source or another.

I think the Fans hate it just as much Pops. When we get linked with a player it boils my piss when like Stoke they come sniffing, hate it, bloody hate it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I think the Fans hate it just as much Pops. When we get linked with a player it boils my piss when like Stoke they come sniffing, hate it, bloody hate it.

I'm just saying it is generally how football can be.

Clubs like to lockdown and control the narrative all told but it's a leaky industry.

It does feel as if we are lacking something in the market though even accounting for typical leaks.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm just saying it is generally how football can be.

Clubs like to lockdown and control the narrative all told but it's a leaky industry.

It does feel as if we are lacking something in the market though even accounting for typical leaks.

The last couple of years we were good at it (didn't see that coming etc. ) what's changed, don't tell me........it's Tinnion ?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

The last couple of years we were good at it (didn't see that coming etc. ) what's changed, don't tell me........it's Tinnion ?

With this one though, if it is stated both sides made a bid then it could have leaked from Stoke, QPR, Agent whoever really.

We first saw it in Bristol Live but I doubt Stoke thought "Ooh Armstrong maybe unavailable soon, let's have a go"!

• Robin 1

44 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Ah I see. Thanks for the summary 👍 I’m still optimistic I think, just a gut feel. Though knowing us, best case is we’ll announce 3 weeks from now!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

With this one though, if it is stated both sides made a bid then it could have leaked from Stoke, QPR, Agent whoever really.

We first saw it in Bristol Live but I doubt Stoke thought "Ooh Armstrong maybe unavailable soon, let's have a go"!

I hope they did, and their recruitment team were as camp as your quote suggests when they found out.

You can’t not read that in a Kenneth Williams accent.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

Looks like Conway will be heading North for potentially £300k and we will miss out on a 21 year old, with even rougher edges, reportedly valued at £2.5 m…..funny old game in it!? 

Just now, Jerseybean said:

Looks like Conway will be heading North for potentially £300k and we will miss out on a 21 year old, with even rougher edges, reportedly valued at £2.5 m…..funny old game in it!? 

Conway will not be going for that price. I don’t even overly rate the lad but not a chance he goes for that price. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jerseybean said:

The market is really odd right now.

In what world is ******* Delap worth £15m rising to £20m..he has one year more left on his deal and has a comparatively similar if not worse record vs Conway.

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

Conway will not be going for that price. I don’t even overly rate the lad but not a chance he goes for that price. 

Though I agree in principle, if nobody comes in for him before then at a fair or sensible price what can we do about it.

3 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

I assume you got that figure from this article 

https://www.ibroxnews.com/2024/07/16/philippe-clement-to-improve-tommy-conway-after-rangers-transfer-as-bristol-city-ace-ticks-boxes/

that would be a compensation figure and the bare minimum at that. Surely the fact he has been with the club since a kid, has proven championship experience/goals and is now a full international, we’d be due a hell of a lot more than that

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jose said:

He may be, unless he can be sold before this window shuts.

Or he may well sign with us (doubtful of course).

Edited by bcfc01

52 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The market is really odd right now.

In what world is ******* Delap worth £15m rising to £20m..he has one year more left on his deal and has a comparatively similar if not worse record vs Conway.

More about the type of player he is and the potential rather than comparing "records", I suspect. Plus, as you say, the contract situations are different.

And Delap has a good agent.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

£1m for Armstrong, or £1.2 plus Cornick....

Did you think the same when we signed Wilbs......?

Nope 

Wilbs had a great scoring record in higher divisions throughout his career and was making a step down for someone of his calibre .

• Like 1

Whatever happens with this lad, I do wish people would stop saying “why would he move to Stoke”. 

Let’s ask Barcelona, AC Milan, Roma and Ajax player Bojan. 
Let’s maybe ask World Cup winner Steven N’Zonzi. 
Perhaps we could ask current Bayern Munich player Chupo-Moteng. 
Or ex Liverpool star Shaquiri. 
Or Marko Arnautovic. 
Hell, let’s even ask Peter Crouch. 

The answer is, rather simply - you don’t HAVE to live in Stoke in order to play for Stoke. 
If one club is gonna pay you more, you’ll go there. 
Apart from Fammy, who resided in Knowle West, players will have their choice of any lovely little village or property outside of the main city centres or urban shitholes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 4

44 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Though I agree in principle, if nobody comes in for him before then at a fair or sensible price what can we do about it.

He's under contract for this season so we do not have to accept any offers, it just means at the end of the season he can go for nothing. If the offer is only £300K we may as well keep him, it's worth more than £300K to have him around for another season.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Or he may well sign with us (doubtful of course).

Lord Lucan riding Shergar to victory in next year's Grand National is more likely than that!

The writing's been on the wall in gurt big letters since he declined a new contract over a year ago.

You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

Flog him now. If the difference in getting the 9 and 10 we need is a million or two, flog Conway for that and be done with it. Doesn't matter that he's worth more than that, the end result is the squad as a whole gets to be stronger.

The alternative is we have a player in a sulk for 12 months and we're lacking the quality forward recruits we're desperate for.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

https://www.ibroxnews.com/2024/07/16/philippe-clement-to-improve-tommy-conway-after-rangers-transfer-as-bristol-city-ace-ticks-boxes/

that would be a compensation figure and the bare minimum at that. Surely the fact he has been with the club since a kid, has proven championship experience/goals and is now a full international, we’d be due a hell of a lot more than that

Unfortunately, were TC to go to Scotland (abroad), I believe £300,000ish is the recognised compensation.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Unfortunately, were TC to go to Scotland (abroad), I believe £300,000ish is the recognised compensation.

In 12 months yes. The risk for him is he could literally waste a season here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

More about the type of player he is and the potential than comparing "records", I suspect. Plus, as you say, the contract situations are different.

And Delap has a good agent.

Reckon Ipswich have well overpaid but easier to manage in the PL and they seem an oddly overvalued club too..

5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

He's under contract for this season so we do not have to accept any offers, it just means at the end of the season he can go for nothing. If the offer is only £300K we may as well keep him, it's worth more than £300K to have him around for another season.

All true, but if he is disgruntled or disinterested we risk the worst of all worlds.

8 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Not worth having him around if he's being frozen out by LM.

TC is being badly advised by his agent, Danny Coles - enough said?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

He only turned 21 last month and isn't a proven Championship player (yet), so his wages should be secondary to his career prospects. Do Stoke have a record of devloping young players and those players moving to the Premier League ? Do Bristol City have a reputation for doing just that with a list of players in recent seasons going on to play at the top level ?

If he/his agent have a brain between them, it should be an easy decision.

I agree but money talks look at conway going off that logic he should also commit but he wants away so he can earn more money he is also 21

13 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

I agree but money talks look at conway going off that logic he should also commit but he wants away so he can earn more money he is also 21

If Stoke are under some kind of monitoring which they might be then how much money they have is irrelevant. 

Witcoop suggested that they need to sell first, the money in that scenario in the FFP scenario is irrelevant until such time as they sell someone.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Not worth having him around is one thing but giving him away is another , compensation if necessary but no way before next summer, even as a bit part player ( which I don’t think he will be) we will get more out of him than the ridiculous small numbers mentioned 

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

When Gavin Marshall was asked who negotiates transfer deals etc for us on a podcast, he couldn't answer the question. That rang alarm bells for me. 

God help us. Is that the same bloke that thought the City Ladies would be competitive last year?! 

The current City managerial set up could not organise a ‘celebration’ in a brewery. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, headhunter said:

If Manning decides the lad(s) the club have paid money for and committed to the club get first shout I’m totally with him on that.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Conway is 22 in a few weeks.

It shouldn't be about money, he's lost a lot just by not signing a contract here, and if he is here till the end of the season he will have lost a lot more. I can't see that Rangers can offer much more than City, he's not the proven article yet and they won't break the bank for him. They won't even bid for him, just waiting like a few others till he costs next to nothing.

I think he has been badly advised by his agent, no surprise there.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Harry said:

Whatever happens with this lad, I do wish people would stop saying “why would he move to Stoke”. 

Or Marko Arnautovic. 

The answer is, rather simply - you don’t HAVE to live in Stoke in order to play for Stoke. 
Apart from Fammy, who resided in Knowle West, players will have their choice of any lovely little village or property outside of the main city centres or urban shitholes. 

Exactly.....you just buy a Helicopter, so u can fly in and fly out on match days, and so you have no need to experience the putrid windswept streets of Stoke?  Job done?

29 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I can't see that Rangers can offer much more than City...

I think he has been badly advised by his agent, no surprise there.

Agree about the agent!

However, if he went to Rangers he'd be playing (from the bench) in front of 50,000 every home game, for a team in contention every year to actually win things, play in europe, fill his boots with goals against pub fodder opposition and in doing so enhance his reputation in the eyes of his national selectors.

So to say I disagree with that bit of your post would be an under statement.

It's an absolute no-brainer.

The only problem is he's taking advice from a gAss monkey.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Agree about the agent!

However, if he went to Rangers he'd be playing (from the bench) in front of 50,000 every home game, for a team in contention every year to actually win things, regularly play in europe, fill his boots with goals against pub fodder opposition and in doing so enhance his reputation in the eyes of his national selectors.

So to say I disagree with that bit of your post would be an under statement.

It's an absolute no-brainer.

The only problem is he's taking advice from a gAss monkey.

I don’t think it’s a given Conway goes to Scotland and does well. It isn’t a no brainer I don’t think. Not in the sense of the right move for his career. I feel like Celtic and Rangers are for players that would be stellar championship players but below average prem players. Like Brownhill for example. Tommy isn’t a stellar championship player. I don’t think he’d go and be first choice. My opinion but I don’t think it is a sure thing he stars there. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, headhunter said:

IF this is true it explains everything, he ****** hates us (real gash) and love nothing more than to get one over on us !

• Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

It’s Tinnion , there you are 

47 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Yep. DC might have played for us once but he's Gas. Probably laughing his ass off at TC running down his contract. Not convinced TCs loss of earnings over two years will be worth it, but DC knows best ...

7 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

IF this is true it explains everything, he ****** hates us (real gash) and love nothing more than to get one over on us !

You can tell your Agent to eff off if you don't like the advice he's giving you.......................

I would imagine that Tommy wants a bit of what his mate Alex Scott is on and he has been advised accordingly by his Agent. The only issue he has is that he is not at the level Alex Scott was when he left us...............and not close to it either in my view (otherwise he would have been signed by an EPL club very quickly). He's a good young Championship forward, Alex Scott was an outstanding young Championship midfield player. Massive difference.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t think it’s a given Conway goes to Scotland and does well. It isn’t a no brainer I don’t think. Not in the sense of the right move for his career. I feel like Celtic and Rangers are for players that would be stellar championship players but below average prem players. Like Brownhill for example. Tommy isn’t a stellar championship player. I don’t think he’d go and be first choice. My opinion but I don’t think it is a sure thing he stars there. 

Agree he wouldn't be first choice to start with - hence my "from the bench".

But, personally, I think he definitely has the potential to develop into a starter for either the Bhoys or the Bluenoses, he has the potential to do well, and to score plenty of goals along the way.

All the while... being part of a team that plays in front 50,000 mentalists every week (bigotry goes a long way to creating an atmosphere) instead of playing in front of half that in a ground that's a library by comparison; being part of a team that wins things and plays in europe rather than just makes up the numbers; being part of a team that creates chances after chance for him to score against poor opposition rather than one that doesn't.

For those reasons, it's a no brainer for me. For those reasons, it's a good career move. He'll  be paid well, score goals, win things and be picked for his national team.

The type of team that would pay him more, ie in England with a lower half Prem team, would be one where he might not develop into a starter, won't win anything, won't play in europe, won't score as many goals - and, as a result, won't be of as much interest to the Scotch manager. And there's no sign any of those sort of English teams want him anyway.

So yeah, it's a no brainer - for me!

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Or Marko Arnautovic. 

None of those would sign for Stoke now.

I think it’s more about the club than the place. They still remain a comparable option to us though. 

2 hours ago, RedRaw said:

To add some facts to this.

Should Tommy run his contract down and have been offered a contracted on at least what he’s on, then:

- should he go to a non-English FA club, then FIFA Training compensation would be applicable.  Assuming he went to Rangers or Celtic or any other top tier club in Europe, who are FIFA Cat 1, we’d get circa €400k fixed.  No add-ons, no sell-ons, just that fixed amount.

- should he go to an English FA club (inc the Welsh EFL clubs) then firstly clubs try to decide a mutual fee (like any transfer, inc add-ons, sell-ons, etc).  If they can’t agree then it goes to the PFCC “tribunal” to decide.  They will take all manner of things into account:

image.thumb.png.987d39ab9f8252e7016f6ff7e9951d92.png

I would expect that to be significantly higher than if he went north of the border, and somewhere between £1m and £2m.  Plus would have other add-ons like appearance pay-outs and sell-on clause.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

To add some facts to this.

Should Tommy run his contract down and have been offered a contracted on at least what he’s on, then:

- should he go to a non-English FA club, then FIFA Training compensation would be applicable.  Assuming he went to Rangers or Celtic or any other top tier club in Europe, who are FIFA Cat 1, we’d get circa €400k fixed.  No add-ons, no sell-ons, just that fixed amount.

- should he go to an English FA club (inc the Welsh EFL clubs) then firstly clubs try to decide a mutual fee (like any transfer, inc add-ons, sell-ons, etc).  If they can’t agree then it goes to the PFCC “tribunal” to decide.  They will take all manner of things into account:

image.thumb.png.987d39ab9f8252e7016f6ff7e9951d92.png

I would expect that to be significantly higher than if he went north of the border, and somewhere between £1m and £2m.  Plus would have other add-ons like appearance pay-outs and sell-on clause.

May be better in the Tommy topic ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Agree he wouldn't be first choice to start with - hence my "from the bench".

But, personally, I think he definitely has the potential to develop into a starter for either the Bhoys or the Bluenoses, he has the potential to do well, and to score plenty of goals along the way.

All the while... being part of a team that plays in front 50,000 mentalists every week (bigotry goes a long way to creating an atmosphere) instead of playing in front of half that in a ground that's a library by comparison; being part of a team that wins things and plays in europe rather than just makes up the numbers; being part of a team that creates chances after chance for him to score against poor opposition rather than one that doesn't.

For those reasons, it's a no brainer for me. For those reasons, it's a good career move. He'll  be paid well, score goals, win things and be picked for his national team.

The type of team that would pay him more, ie in England with a lower half Prem team, would be one where he might not develop into a starter, won't win anything, won't play in europe, won't score as many goals - and, as a result, won't be of as much interest to the Scotch manager. And there's no sign any of those sort of English teams want him anyway.

So yeah, it's a no brainer - for me!

Didn’t see from the bench part! I agree about all the stuff like the fans and Europe etc. Will his wage in that role be more than we are offering? Idk but can imagine it being closer than he realises. He can develop for sure but there is a lot more expectation in that role too.

I just don’t feel like he necessarily makes the grade up there for those two teams. I’m not sure his ceiling is that high. He can finish and is composed but the rest of his game is lacking. Can you imagine him starting against say Celtic for Rangers and the ball not sticking him being bullied by two defenders who could possibly be a standard higher than he normally faces here? It would take some thick skin. 

Idk I just have reservations about it for him. Maybe a bit more money in the short term but the potential to go very poorly is there. Think here he can steadily develop a bit more with a pay rise on top of it. Even if he has 2 more seasons at the same scoring rate as last, he’d have interest as a 24 year old with near 50 goals at championship level. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Didn’t see from the bench part! I agree about all the stuff like the fans and Europe etc. Will his wage in that role be more than we are offering? Idk but can imagine it being closer than he realises. He can develop for sure but there is a lot more expectation in that role too.

I just don’t feel like he necessarily makes the grade up there for those two teams. I’m not sure his ceiling is that high. He can finish and is composed but the rest of his game is lacking. Can you imagine him starting against say Celtic for Rangers and the ball not sticking him being bullied by two defenders who could possibly be a standard higher than he normally faces here? It would take some thick skin. 

Idk I just have reservations about it for him. Maybe a bit more money in the short term but the potential to go very poorly is there. Think here he can steadily develop a bit more with a pay rise on top of it. Even if he has 2 more seasons at the same scoring rate as last, he’d have interest as a 24 year old with near 50 goals at championship level. 

Fair play.

I guess we just view his potential slightly differently.

Rumours of Burnley, now - what to make of that?

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

You can tell your Agent to eff off if you don't like the advice he's giving you.......................

I would imagine that Tommy wants a bit of what his mate Alex Scott is on and he has been advised accordingly by his Agent. The only issue he has is that he is not at the level Alex Scott was when he left us...............and not close to it either in my view (otherwise he would have been signed by an EPL club very quickly). He's a good young Championship forward, Alex Scott was an outstanding young Championship midfield player. Massive difference.

Exactly, nowhere near the quality of Scott and TC needs to take a reality check. If he was around 15-20 goals a season then yes, test the market and get a decent contract elsewhere if city won’t pay him what he thinks he’s worth 

I always got the impression that he thought he was better than he actually is

37 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Carlton Palmer stirring it little shit , seems Football League World desperate for him to go to Stoke 

Can't say I'll lose any sleep if we don't sign him

28 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Fair play.

I guess we just view his potential slightly differently.

Rumours of Burnley, now - what to make of that?

Really?  They just signed Andreas Hootinanny today.