IGNORED

Bristol City vs. England

DaveInSA

When Manning had us playing backward/sideways slow, no energy or pace football it was dire (and time for him to go) BUT, to be fair to him, when he changed his tactics and the way he'd set us up to play, we were a different team and miles better - playing to our strengths. 

I hold out hope that Southgate has the mindset and courage to do similar. Still time to improve.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Might be the most disappointing game in history. A dour 1-1 at best.

discuss.

Most disappointing game in history?? Wasn't great but Denmark aren't a bad side and the group is still in our hands..been far more disappointing games in my time and I'm 59 years old.

• Like 4

• Admin

I'm pretty confident it would end 1-0 to England. As usual England would turn up and take the lead playing reasonable football. Southgate would remember we have a weak defence and tell everyone to sit back. But City would lack the creativity to fight back and would spend the remainder of the game passing across the backline and testing out the other flank (by test I mean pass there until faced with an opponent and then pass back to the defence).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, weepywall said:

Most disappointing game in history?? Wasn't great but Denmark aren't a bad side and the group is still in our hands..been far more disappointing games in my time and I'm 59 years old.

Kids!

3 hours ago, weepywall said:

I give you Poland at Wembley 73, 'nough said !

• Like 3

4 hours ago, weepywall said:

62 later this year, and Id agree. England v Poland in 73 was disappointing but entertaining at least. Last night? That was just boring but typically England these days

8 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

I think OP was saying a hypothetical game between Southgate's England and Bristol City would be the most dissapointing dour game in history.

And.. yeah probably!

Ah....I see what he meant now !!! Too many ciders yesterday 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I give you Poland at Wembley 73, 'nough said !

Yep, at an age when it really hurt.

Couldn't sleep after that Poland game, last night just left me cold.

• Like 1

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, at an age when it really hurt.

Couldn't sleep after that Poland game, last night just left me cold.

As Cloughie said at half time ....." Sit back, relax, put yer feet up, we're gonna win this one !"           WRONG 

23 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

As Cloughie said at half time ....." Sit back, relax, put yer feet up, we're gonna win this one !"           WRONG 

Only proved wrong by bad luck, a goalkeeper having the game of his life, and 1 mistake punished.

No lack of effort or passion from the players that night and still a memorable match 50 years later.

Can't say that for England performances these days - stultifying, passionless crap, but at least I've gone past the stage of letting it upset me.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

I agree with the OP. Posted this during the game last night…..

Alan Shearer 50 minutes into the England v Denmark game: ‘they’re keeping the ball, but it’s slow and lethargic. There’s no movement. They’re just going from side to side and getting nowhere. It’s walking pace, isn’t it?’ He was of course talking about England but it sounded very much like what Manningball looks like.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

I agree with the OP. Posted this during the game last night…..

Alan Shearer 50 minutes into the England v Denmark game: ‘they’re keeping the ball, but it’s slow and lethargic. There’s no movement. They’re just going from side to side and getting nowhere. It’s walking pace, isn’t it?’ He was of course talking about England but it sounded very much like what Manningball looks like.

Yep. If you’re not going to play in overdrive throughout the match, you do it in bursts. We never get out of first gear. 

21 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Yep. If you’re not going to play in overdrive throughout the match, you do it in bursts. We never get out of first gear. 

I don’t think we even found our car keys!

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Clutch and flow.

Though it actually needs a double declutch and that's in the advanced manual which we haven't bought as yet.

Two minutes into injury time,get a free kick just inside our half. Score is 1-1, a winner would ensure finishing the group on top and avoiding Germany next round. Goalkeeper comes up to take said free kick, and…

passes it four yards BACKWARDS.  

Tell me about Southgate’s indicts without telling me. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, weepywall said:

Every game under Pulis was worse than that 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

Sometimes it’s even reverse! 

• Admin
16 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Southgate and manning must be the most dull and boring managers ever.

City v England would be a borefest.

How many on here went to the City vs England game in 1966?

12 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Only proved wrong by bad luck, a goalkeeper having the game of his life, and 1 mistake punished.

No lack of effort or passion from the players that night and still a memorable match 50 years later.

Can't say that for England performances these days - stultifying, passionless crap, but at least I've gone past the stage of letting it upset me.

The first mistake was our future own Norman Hunter losing the ball out by the touchline, but I still think Shilton should have stopped the shot that squirmed under him. So I would say 2 mistakes.

• Like 1

Apparently, the England players aren’t fit enough to play a high intensity press.

They will get annihilated by one of the other tournament favourites.

supporting England and BCFC is the most disappointing experience. A half success story. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

Apparently, the England players aren’t fit enough to play a high intensity press.

supporting England and BCFC is the most disappointing experience. A half success story. 

Let's be honest, that's the same for 99% of football supporters 

5 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

England come out on top in the constant disappointment stakes.

They've been at it since 1970, City have been mostly depressing only since 1980.

The odd chink of occasional light amongst the decades of constant gloom and knock backs, just enough to keep a tiny spark of optimism going.

Watching City and England is mostly not only frustrating and depressing, but increasingly a near soporific experience.

Deriving enjoyment from any success for either looks increasingly like a pipe dream - hopefully someone will give me a nudge if that ever changes. :city::englandflag: :fastasleep:

On 21/06/2024 at 10:35, Oh Louie louie said:

As bad as it was watching san Marino score against us was as bad as it got

I was watching that with a crowd of mates and we all fell about laughing when that went in after about 20 seconds. 

On 21/06/2024 at 12:09, Southport Red said:

Two minutes into injury time,get a free kick just inside our half. Score is 1-1, a winner would ensure finishing the group on top and avoiding Germany next round. Goalkeeper comes up to take said free kick, and…

passes it four yards BACKWARDS.  

Tell me about Southgate’s indicts without telling me. 

There’s absolutely no way that’s on Southgate. Pickford wanted to put it in the box but Walker demanded it from him. That’s on the players decision making.

The similarities between the national team and Bristol City are uncanny.

Based on another inept England performance, I think it’s fair to say the following apply to the national team as much as the City -  pedestrian, predictable, cautious, lacking creativity and urgency and ideas and pace, unable to break down a defensive block, sloppy with the ball at times, struggle to score and boring.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

The similarities between the national team and Bristol City are uncanny.

Based on another inept England performance, I think it’s fair to say the following apply to the national team as much as the City -  pedestrian, predictable, cautious, lacking creativity and urgency and ideas and pace, unable to break down a defensive block, sloppy with the ball at times, struggle to score and boring.

That’s what I was trying to get at in my very poorly phrased post.

The game plans are almost identical. 

How did I end up this unfortunate? I mean, the Austrian games I’ve watched have been massively entertaining and the intensity of press fantastic to watch.

• Like 1