IGNORED

Palmer-Houlden to Dundee (Loan): Updates

Bcfc24

2 minutes ago, Negan said:

Would have thought we’d have given him a pre season here atleast, was hoping he might have been in and around the first team this season if conways sold. 

That was the plan…do preseason, see where he is, if a loan deemed necessary, tout Dundee, Shrewsbury, etc.

Scottish Prem - decent level for the lad. Would prefer League 1 but maybe that’s English bias, not sure how the two leagues actually compare. 

Matches against Rangers and Celtic would be good tests for the big man.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ashton Fete said:

With TC more likely than not to leave you’d like to think there’s 2 for certain coming in who are both fighting to start 

Little the club has done post May 2023 has filled me with confidence but yes two front line, as well as the 7 and 10 must be the aim I agree.

17 minutes ago, Ashton Fete said:

With TC more likely than not to leave you’d like to think there’s 2 for certain coming in who are both fighting to start 

Told my mate today that city value Conway at £5 Million and he started laughing 🤣

25 minutes ago, marksy said:

Told my mate today that city value Conway at £5 Million and he started laughing 🤣

Very down on Conway, list the players in recent years better by that age with 10 x 2..there aren't many. At Championship level I mean, by age 21.

The penalty stats skew it a bit but.

2 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

For all those saying it must mean someone coming in, why? He is/was a youth player that spent last year in league 2.

Not sure why this would impact our transfers 

My logic was that he was likely to be a sub that would get game time this season with the odd 20-30 mins here and then and start some games when we had some injuries.

If TC goes which looks more likely than not then we have Wells/Cornick and academy players left.  And the pair of them aren’t good enough to be starters for me

So 1 new striker wouldn’t be enough so SPH going makes me think we have perhaps 2 coming in.  All a game of opinions so could be wildly out of course! 

3 hours ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Would wet myself if our only striker option is Wells on the opening day

Don’t forget Sam Bell!  Not being facetious, Bell can play down the middle, albeit I don’t see him playing it alone.

+++++

Well, that was a surprise.  Though Seb was getting preseason with the first team, and I was looking forward to seeing how he’d progressed having been on loan.

But…the other part of me thinks, if you’re gonna go on loan, go for preseason, so you integrate properly.  The Scottish season starts earlier than us, so some clubs are back already.

• Like 2

Yea not too down on this. We may end up light but we have a duty to SPH to grow him the right way. He needs more men’s football and this will give him a blend of experiences with Celtic and Rangers being fringe prem quality sides and a mix of L1/L2 with other sides. If he can stay fit it can be a very productive loan where he comes back completely ready to compete for starts here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t forget Sam Bell!  Not being facetious, Bell can play down the middle, albeit I don’t see him playing it alone.

+++++

Well, that was a surprise.  Though Seb was getting preseason with the first team, and I was looking forward to seeing how he’d progressed having been on loan.

But…the other part of me thinks, if you’re gonna go on loan, go for preseason, so you integrate properly.  The Scottish season starts earlier than us, so some clubs are back already.

Yes.  Dundee’s first competitive game is July 13th, a league cup group tie.  Makes sense for him to go up there now.

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

So much for wanting to take a look at him in pre season. 

Seems we have gone back to the days of loaning players out rather than giving them a chance to impress. 

I suspect its part of SL's business plan WSM. Income from loans. Following the Chelsea model 😂

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Seems we have gone back to the days of loaning players out rather than giving them a chance to impress. 

It does. Hearing JKL off to Lg2 for a loan also. 

10 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Your mate is a cock. 

I hope we do get £5 Million for him. I think his best destination would be a team in Scotland because he will score goals up there. 
If he thinks he’ll get game time and score goal in the prem then all the best to him and the team that signs him. 

This move could be good for everyone, Seb gets regular football at a decent standard and gets to play at Parkhead, Ibrox and maybe Hampden! City get a better player back in 10 months and Dundee get a promising striker within their financial restrictions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Very down on Conway, list the players in recent years better by that age with 10 x 2..there aren't many. At Championship level I mean, by age 21.

The penalty stats skew it a bit but.

Another season or two with us wouldn’t do him any harm as long as he improves on his finishing. Like you pointed out, he’s only 21. 
If someone came in with a nice offer then you can’t blame us for accepting it and him for weighing up his options. 
If he has got an inflated opinion of himself then his advisers should tell him to go to Scotland, I’m sure he’ll get game time up there. 

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

turns out, the much lauded "pathway" was actually just the manager at the time... 

• Like 9
  • Flames 5

Well that's Dundee as my Scottish team for next season then. 

I like the town anyway, they have spent a lot of money on it in recent times what with the Discovery Exhibition, the Tate Gallery and references to being the origin of the Dandy and Beano. Also some nice hotels, especially the Hotel Indigo which is built inside the ruins of an old lace mill.

The two grounds are literally a walk across the road from each other, but their rivalry seems comparatively friendly from what I have been told by locals.

I hope SPH takes his opportunity and also takes a look around the town.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Didn’t work out too shabby for Harry. 
14 goals in 56 games for Millwall, Norwich, Leicester and Orient. 
Followed that up with 200+ goals in 300 games for Tottenham

not saying that we have a world beater but Kane was very much an unknown quantity to start with. 

27 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Well that's Dundee as my Scottish team for next season then. 

I like the town anyway, they have spent a lot of money on it in recent times what with the Discovery Exhibition, the Tate Gallery and references to being the origin of the Dandy and Beano. Also some nice hotels, especially the Hotel Indigo which is built inside the ruins of an old lace mill.

The two grounds are literally a walk across the road from each other, but their rivalry seems comparatively friendly from what I have been told by locals.

I hope SPH takes his opportunity and also takes a look around the town.

I believe they even join forces when one or the other of the bigot brothers is in town.

1 hour ago, marksy said:

Another season or two with us wouldn’t do him any harm as long as he improves on his finishing. Like you pointed out, he’s only 21. 
If someone came in with a nice offer then you can’t blame us for accepting it and him for weighing up his options. 
If he has got an inflated opinion of himself then his advisers should tell him to go to Scotland, I’m sure he’ll get game time up there. 

I actually think that another year wouldn't hurt yes, but I also think replacing on what could be a tight budget let alone upgrading, would be difficult indeed.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

As with England it’s all about getting the right players in the right positions in the attack.

Until the first match of the season we shan’t really know if Manning has the right balance of forwards playing in the right system to climb the league.

True I am unconvinced by an ageing Wells, a low level performer in Cornick, and the jury still out on Wells and Mehmeti as top Championship players, plus a start to the season with Conway having been sold and no movement in signings and with names mentioned hardly those to engender excitement and the old old problem of tight purse strings.

Basic continuing issue, failure to bring new investors into an enhanced Board.

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

As with England it’s all about getting the right players in the right positions in the attack.

Until the first match of the season we shan’t really know if Manning has the right balance of forwards playing in the right system to climb the league.

True I am unconvinced by an ageing Wells, a low level performer in Cornick, and the jury still out on Wells and Mehmeti as top Championship players, plus a start to the season with Conway having been sold and no movement in signings and with names mentioned hardly those to engender excitement and the old old problem of tight purse strings.

Basic continuing issue, failure to bring new investors into an enhanced Board.

I was in pretty good spirits until I read your post. 
Bikini Bottom Crying GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

6 hours ago, BobBobBobbin said:

turns out, the much lauded "pathway" was actually just the manager at the time... 

Absolutely. I've raised concerns about Manning being prepared to give youth a go previously. 

I also said that it was ironic that Tinnion snaked on Pearson cos he'd never find another manager more willing to give youth a chance.

What's now clear is that unless a player is or almost is the finished article, he won't be given a chance here. 

We wouldn't have seen Tommy Conway come through under the new regime in my opinion. 

I think the loan is good for SPH, however Tinnion has previously said that players can step up a level over the summer break so in my opinion we should have taken a look at him in pre season before deciding if he should go out on loan. 

• Like 8

Despite some going v early, we need to see how these loans play out before claiming they're good or bad. I would have liked SPH to have a sniff next season, however, he had a decent but not stellar loan at Newport - it's a helluva ask to then make an impact at the Championship.  I think it's way too early to assume we're going back to Johnson era 'death by a thousand loans'.

Dundee will be a real opportunity for the lad & depending where TC ends up, he may feature in the Bristol City Strikers Derby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TDarwall said:

Despite some going v early, we need to see how these loans play out before claiming they're good or bad. I would have liked SPH to have a sniff next season, however, he had a decent but not stellar loan at Newport - it's a helluva ask to then make an impact at the Championship.  I think it's way too early to assume we're going back to Johnson era 'death by a thousand loans'.

Dundee will be a real opportunity for the lad & depending where TC ends up, he may feature in the Bristol City Strikers Derby.

I guess you have keep in check your expectations on SPH in terms of a breakthrough. Any youngster getting 500-1000 mins in a season is a big achievement.

I don’t think anyone should be thinking - if Seb isn’t good enough to lead the attack he needs to go on loan. They can be nurtured at Bristol City too don’t forget!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I guess you have keep in check your expectations on SPH in terms of a breakthrough. Any youngster getting 500-1000 mins in a season is a big achievement.

I don’t think anyone should be thinking - if Seb isn’t good enough to lead the attack he needs to go on loan. They can be nurtured at Bristol City too don’t forget!!!

Something that seems to have dropped off the radar since the managerial change, unfortunately. 

Perhaps Seb isn't championship ready; but to my mind (based on a fair bit of evidence/reading/experience) the fastest way to get him to that point is to give him opportunities here and at the level he aspires to reach. 

On a side note, I actually think he is "ready"; He's got far superior physical traits than some of the players we've blooded in recent years which would help him "learn on the job" without those games, like TC and Bell have had, where the league becomes too big, too powerful and too physical.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

On 22/06/2024 at 01:43, Negan said:

Would have thought we’d have given him a pre season here atleast, was hoping he might have been in and around the first team this season if conways sold. 

Yes I agree, I was looking forward to seeing him compete for a place, however in saying that I wish him well in his development 👍

On 21/06/2024 at 18:26, Loosey Boy said:

Offer him to Aberdeen as part of a deal, bringing Miovski to us….

The papers in Scotland are still saying that we retain an interest in Miovski (along with Brum) but they're also saying Bologna may be interested. If true it's a no brainier with Bologna gaining the 5th Champions league place that italy were awarded this year. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

If true it's a no brainier with Bologna gaining the 5th Champions league place that italy were awarded this year. 

Things aren’t always so cut and dried. Perhaps he won’t get game time. He may not be comfortable with moving to a foreign country. He may be allergic to pasta. There could be a thousand reasons why he wouldn’t go there and equally as many as why he would but it  is not necessarily a ‘ no brainer ‘ . 

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Things aren’t always so cut and dried. Perhaps he won’t get game time. He may not be comfortable with moving to a foreign country. He may be allergic to pasta. There could be a thousand reasons why he wouldn’t go there and equally as many as why he would but it  is not necessarily a ‘ no brainer ‘ . 

Fair enough, I should have said likely no brainier. I don't think moving to a foreign country would be a problem as he's already moved from his native North Macedonia to Scotland. I'm not sure what similarities there are between the two nations or what his interests are but if he likes food (not just pasta) Bologna ranks amongst the best Italy has to offer. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Dundee first game is a derby against Dundee United. Be nice if Seb can put in a good performance against them and get the fans behind him.

Also played them on 2nd Jan too.

Seb Palmer-Houlden played the whole second half for Dundee as they beat Arbroath, 3-1 in pre-season. Seb nearly scored an attempt from a corner, but had little opportunity in the game, although he never stopped harrassing the defence

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2