IGNORED

Come on, England

SecretSam

Some people think we have a God-given right to win the Euros or the World Cup. 
We are certainly better than our performances suggest, but that’s based upon talented individuals rather than a good team. 
Seriously are we better than Spain, Portugal, Germany or Italy?
How many Iceland - or Denmark- players would get into an England side? Very few - yet Iceland beat us and Denmark forced a draw. 
If we really DO have world-beating players, but consistently fail to win anything, then maybe the management and coaching structure needs to be changed?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pillred said:

I'm hoping all these negative comments will in 3 weeks time look embarrassing, Football is a funny old game.

These Euros are  the same as the last one when England lost in the final on penalties to Italy. The group stages were just as dull and turgid as this time around but the aim is always to get out of the group regardless of how entertaining or dull it is.

Kane complained yesterday about former England players who are now pundits criticising the England players pointing out that they should know how difficult it is to play tournament football for England and that the current players hear the criticism and it can have a negative effect particularly on the less experienced players.

Its not the players the likes of Lineker and Shearer should criticise its should be the dreary football Southgate serves up - ultimately it’s the manager’s decision on what style to play that the team adhere to.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

These Euros are  the same as the last one when England lost in the final on penalties to Italy. The group stages were just as dull and turgid as this time around but the aim is always to get out of the group regardless of how entertaining or dull it is.

Kane complained yesterday about former England players who are now pundits criticising the England players pointing out that they should know how difficult it is to play tournament football for England and that the current players hear the criticism and it can have a negative effect particularly on the less experienced players.

Its not the players the likes of Lineker and Shearer should criticise its should be the dreary football Southgate serves up - ultimately it’s the manager’s decision on what style to play that the team adhere to.

There is something a touch ironic about players who failed for England in the past being so critical of current players. That said, Kane coming out and complaining looks a bit childish. Oooh, it’s so tough playing international football for England……poor thing, give him counselling. Regardless of what ex-players say you still ****** off fans who paid a fair amount to travel to the point they boo’ed you.

Edited by Numero Uno

10 hours ago, SecretSam said:

There's a Scotland thread, so...

Go chaps go

9 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I dont know why, but im not up for it this time. We have been so poor it feels so inevitable whats going to happen

But still top of our group

7 hours ago, pillred said:

I'm hoping all these negative comments will in 3 weeks time look embarrassing, Football is a funny old game.

England's performances have been objectively disappointing. I don't think anyone will be embarrassed about saying as such.

5 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Some people think we have a God-given right to win the Euros or the World Cup. 

For me, it's just that I want to see a talented squad play to it's potential.
We are certainly better than our performances suggest, but that’s based upon talented individuals rather than a good team. 

You have to cultivate a team and Southgate has had many years to do so. No other nation has an advantage over us in that regard.
Seriously are we better than Spain, Portugal, Germany or Italy?

Based on the talent in our respective squads, I'd say yes 100%
How many Iceland - or Denmark- players would get into an England side? Very few - yet Iceland beat us and Denmark forced a draw. 
If we really DO have world-beating players, but consistently fail to win anything, then maybe the management and coaching structure needs to be changed?

100%. Southgate is a nice guy, but he's not the tactician or the leader that we need. He's shown that he can't instil a winning mentality. Even our better tournament finishes were uninspiring. 

• Like 2

England are probably a couple of changes away from clicking: TAA out, someone other than Foden at LM.

Personally, I'd push Rice further forward and drop someone in as DMF; I'd leave Bellingham at 10. That does mean no Foden, however. But look how other teams are playing - it was interesting to watch something on YT where they pointed out the talent left on France's bench, for example. 

Oh, and I'd have Mitchell at LB...oh 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

England are probably a couple of changes away from clicking: TAA out, someone other than Foden at LM.

Personally, I'd push Rice further forward and drop someone in as DMF; I'd leave Bellingham at 10. That does mean no Foden, however. But look how other teams are playing - it was interesting to watch something on YT where they pointed out the talent left on France's bench, for example. 

Agree with all of that. 

If Southgate goes unchanged for the Slovenia game I think I might end up rocking and gibbering in a padded cell...

1 minute ago, mozo said:

If Southgate goes unchanged for the Slovenia game I think I might end up rocking and gibbering in a padded cell...

I don't think that's going to happen, but I fear he'll play Rice deep again, and slot Foden and Bellingham ahead. 

I found the link: FourFourTwo

23 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I see Harry Kane has said "Show us yer medals" to Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer .... not a lot of medals between the three of them, really 

That’s a bit petty of Harry. Is he above criticism? Makes him sound like a dick. 
Very defensive 😕

9 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

How long was it shearer went without scoring for England pre 96? Was it two years? He wouldn't have even got in the squad under Southgate with a record like that 

But Harry has a good record pre tournament? That suggests there’s something not right 

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

I see little sign that it is a matter of “clicking” per se.  I would normally say “we are growing into the tournament”.  It feels like we are getting worse.

There appear to be fundamental issues in how we are playing.  Up until the build-up to this tournament I’ve been quite supportive of Southgate, but I think he got the integration of new / young players and jettisoning of the existing players wrong.  He’s ultimately picked an unbalanced squad.  And that squad doesn’t work when the system isn’t working or the players underperforming.  There appears to be no sub possible that just injects freshness, it becomes a change to set-up.  It feels plan a to plan z, not plan b.  That’s on Southgate.

But the players have to take some criticism too.  There is too much ambling, not enough intent, purpose.  I rarely see one of our players sprint off the ball to drag an opponent out of position or to position for receipt of a pass.

I expect another fragmented performance on Tuesday, whoever he selects.

I can only hope we can find something for the knockouts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I see little sign that it is a matter of “clicking” per se.  I would normally say “we are growing into the tournament”.  It feels like we are getting worse.

There appear to be fundamental issues in how we are playing.  Up until the build-up to this tournament I’ve been quite supportive of Southgate, but I think he got the integration of new / young players and jettisoning of the existing players wrong.  He’s ultimately picked an unbalanced squad.  And that squad doesn’t work when the system isn’t working or the players underperforming.  There appears to be no sub possible that just injects freshness, it becomes a change to set-up.  It feels plan a to plan z, not plan b.  That’s on Southgate.

But the players have to take some criticism too.  There is too much ambling, not enough intent, purpose.  I rarely see one of our players sprint off the ball to drag an opponent out of position or to position for receipt of a pass.

I expect another fragmented performance on Tuesday, whoever he selects.

I can only hope we can find something for the knockouts.

Surely that’s down to the manager Dave? 

The England squad is made up of top footballers who play for their respective clubs following the instructions of the clubs manager and are completely familiar with how it works.

The fact that England have been so uninspiring has to be down to Gareth Southgate.

• Like 1