IGNORED

Come on, England

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

The classic that ever neutral is waiting for...

That will be an interesting time at our local bar if it happens

Nice to win a Penalty shootout, but would also nice to try and win the game before the 85th minute. 

So pleased Saka scored after the shit he got. But so bored with Southgate’s style.

Just now, Bristol Oil Services said:

Well managed that shootout there, by Gareth (Semi, Final, Quarters, Semi) Southgate, I don't see him having David bleedin Batty (who never kicked a ball as far as 12 yards in his career) taking a pen

that whole situation we a disgrace as I remember it, so many players hiding...

• Like 2

Successful penalties and the previous 120 minutes are forgotten.

Will this go down as the championships with the most exra times, penalty shoot outs and least goals scored?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Obviously happy at won and the penalties were good but we're in a semi final and haven't played one game where we looked certain winners in the whole tournament. 

Netherlands in the semis would be a whole extra step up needed, arguably multiple steps up which concerns me. 

I really wish we could play with some conviction and impose ourselves upon the opposition but even in the last few moments of extra time we were sat back trying to hold on. 

1 minute ago, DaveInSA said:

Well.

Thanks goodness for that.

i’m now in Botswana. And thankfully won’t be able to watch the next two games.

Watch out for those dirty defenders!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Obviously happy at won and the penalties were good but we're in a semi final and haven't played one game where we looked certain winners in the whole tournament. 

Netherlands in the semis would be a whole extra step up needed, arguably multiple steps up which concerns me. 

I really wish we could play with some conviction and impose ourselves upon the opposition but even in the last few moments of extra time we were sat back trying to hold on. 

I think we can do it but only if we put big names and reputations to one side and pick a team based on balance and cohesion.

Guehi being back will help, as would Shaw starting if fit. But I think we also need to choose who, if any, to play out of Foden, Bellingham and Kane rather than starting all three. 

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think we can do it but only if we put big names and reputations to one side and pick a team based on balance and cohesion.

Guehi being back will help, as would Shaw starting if fit. But I think we also need to choose who, if any, to play out of Foden, Bellingham and Kane rather than starting all three. 

No manager in the world drops all three of them. Not one.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

No manager in the world drops all three of them. Not one.

I agree. And I wouldn't either. But I don't think Kane on his own up front has worked so far and a decision needs to be made about who is meant to be occupying the space just in front of the defence as at the moment the three are getting in the way of each other too often. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree. And I wouldn't either. But I don't think Kane on his own up front has worked so far and a decision needs to be made about who is meant to be occupying the space just in front of the defence as at the moment the three are getting in the way of each other too often. 

Kane has been brilliant for England but there comes a time when you have to wonder whether he would be better utilised off the bench, where his half a yard of sharpness would count in the latter stages of a game against tired defenders. Watkins or Toney would give us something completely different......and less predictable.

• Like 1

Said it on a different topic. The only score that matters is what's printed in tomorrow's paper. 

When Switzerland scored I thought to myself "I don't recall their defence struggling with anything". Every time we got behind or put a cross in, they calmly dealt with it, being in the right position and playing it out or calmly heading it away. Unless I missed something. 

Onwards and upwards. Win is a win 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Are we gonna shit house our way to a final?

It's starting to look like it. I wouldn't count out France against Spain either - it only takes Mbappe to have a good ten minutes..............

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Kane has been brilliant for England but there comes a time when you have to wonder whether he would be better utilised off the bench, where his half a yard of sharpness would count in the latter stages of a game against tired defenders. Watkins or Toney would give us something completely different......and less predictable.

I certainly think it is a lot to ask a player who is clearly struggling for fitness to start 7 times in four weeks. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

Are we gonna shit house our way to a final?

I’ve just watched the game with my old man. I had to remind him that for every tournament in my life (55 years now) he’s said to me “why can’t we be more like the Italians/ Germans / Argentinians”,  and grind our way through to victory. Not saying we’re going to win it, but that’s what we’re doing, grinding, frustrating, boring? Champagne football is for the Brazilians, I’ll take the win, though it’s ******* hard work. 

Come on boys 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

• Like 8

fair play, a horrendously negative manager is Southgate but he has done things previous England managers couldn't, two semi- finals a final and two penalty shoot out victorys. You can't knock it...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

He's not had that half yard of sharpness through this tournament and looks tired from the off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

As pens do not count stat wise, we are now ‘unbeaten’ in our last 12 Euro matches.

Yep, I think Southgate's record at the Euros is 7W 5D.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

He's not had that half yard of sharpness through this tournament and looks tired from the off.

Correct, so I would stick him on the bench. Unless people think we should just tell him to go home?

9 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

fair play, a horrendously negative manager is Southgate but he has done things previous England managers couldn't, two semi- finals a final and two penalty shoot out victorys. You can't knock it...

I’ll knock it. He’s shit. Imagine a good manager getting hold of this group of players. We’d be untouchable. I’m fed up of it. Scraping past Switzerland doesn’t make it all ok. The sooner he’s gone the better. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

It’s been a ******* odd tournament, made true by all the ‘big’ nations having bad games. France haven’t scored from open play, home nation out at the quarters for basically the first time ever. 

It’s been very bad, but as they always say, the best teams always find a way…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’ll knock it. He’s shit. Imagine a good manager getting hold of this group of players. We’d be untouchable. I’m fed up of it. Scraping past Switzerland doesn’t make it all ok. The sooner he’s gone the better. 

I'm sure folk said the same about Sven, but we went backwards for a lot of years after he left.

We did play much better, lots of positives, I thought Quansah was excellent for instance,  Mainoo was good, rice played much better... foden much more involved. ...but Kane sticks out like a sore thumb for me. saka was on fire ... gotta think a fit Kane scores one of those cut backs. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Will Rollason said:

We did play much better, lots of positives, I thought Quansah was excellent for instance,  Mainoo was good, rice played much better... foden much more involved. ...but Kane sticks out like a sore thumb for me. saka was on fire ... gotta think a fit Kane scores one of those cut backs. 

Quansah is sat at home eating a takeaway with his parents mate 😁

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s an interesting perspective. We’ve had the likes of Venables, Robson, Capello and Sven yet Gareth has out performed them all.

I don’t think he’ll take us to another tournament, even if we win this, but we’ve all heard the “get a decent manager” rhetoric before, and it hasn’t worked. 

Arguably Svens team were better than this one as well. 

• Like 2

The same questions should be being asked but because we are through it’s being glossed over. BBC and Talksport singing from the roof tops. We got away with it again. They had chances at the end of normal time and extra time. Southgate failing to make subs is scandalous and we are still so slow. 

I know I’m a miserable bastard and I should be buzzing. But I’m not. Maybe I should start drinking more. 

The performance was better but still not great and the manager is that clueless it’s making the whole experience painful. 

Again I realise it’s my problem. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, glynriley said:

It’s an interesting perspective. We’ve had the likes of Venables, Robson, Capello and Sven yet Gareth has out performed them all.

I don’t think he’ll take us to another tournament, even if we win this, but we’ve all heard the “get a decent manager” rhetoric before, and it hasn’t worked. 

Arguably Svens team were better than this one as well. 

Sven’s team had much better opposition. The other nations were stronger than now. 

I genuinely think we’d be better off with no manager and saying to the lads, “just go out there and play.”

If we win anything it’ll be in spite of Southgate. Not because of him. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, Fordy62 said:

Sven’s team had much better opposition. The other nations were stronger than now. 

I genuinely think we’d be better off with no manager and saying to the lads, “just go out there and play.”

Ah right, every team in the world was better twenty years ago. Didn’t realise. 

14 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Fair enough. Sven had an unbelievable squad and couldn't get us past a quater-final, Hodgson struggled to get us out of group stages at major tournaments..

My point being many managers before Gareth have had similar talent if not more and haven't been as successful. The stats don't lie, Southgate is the best performing morern England manager in history.

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Bollox. The Portgual teams in 04 and 06 were hardly world beaters. We were bottlers under Sven, coupled by the fact the squad had zero togetherness. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Fair enough. Sven had an unbelievable squad and couldn't get us past a quater-final, Hodgson struggled to get us out of group stages at major tournaments..

My point being many managers before Gareth have had similar talent if not more and haven't been as successful. The stats don't lie, Southgate is the best performing morern England manager in history.

Agreed. In the same way that Deontay Wilder would be the best performing boxer if he started boxing at flyweight. 

2 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Bollox. The Portgual teams in 04 and 06 were hardly world beaters. We were bottlers under Sven, coupled by the fact the squad had zero togetherness. 

Still argue stronger than they are now. Which is what he said. 

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

Yep that’s what I said. 👍🏼 

Sven’s team had much better opposition”

it’s pretty much what you said. Don’t worry chief, wallow in your misery, I’m ******* loving it 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Lots of selection headaches for Wednesday. In defence, Guehi is back available and Shaw now has match minutes. But Konsa did very well today and Saka played MotM at LWB (granted he was moved around later in the game). 

Serious case could be made for Foden out, Palmer in to the attack. And Toney and Watkins will know Kane is not looking himself.

I think when fans and pundits start picking their semi-final XI’s we’ll see a lot of different ideas.

Still, the focus tonight is on celebrating a win, on bloody penalties no less! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Agreed. In the same way that Deontay Wilder would be the best performing boxer if he started boxing at flyweight. 

Yeah fair. This country is mental, we get through to a semi final on pens (something that has cursed us for decades) and people still want to peddle this negative narrative towards the manager.

Embarrassing, i hope we win this tournament i will be so happy for Gareth if he shuts all you negative ***** up 👏🫰

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

So you’re just picking Portugal and leaving it there? Okay mate. QED. 

9 minutes ago, Rob said:

At least the game was not like watching wallpaper dry like the france game. And we look, for all the faults, more adventurous than france. 

The French don’t have the quality in attack or midfield. Their team is very ordinary. Keep Mbappé quiet and they don’t look like scoring. 

Just now, Fordy62 said:

What made you change your mind?! 😂😂😂

There lies the problem. The outcome clouds peoples judgements. I feel if you can be negative after a win as well as a loss is quite healthy rather than being blinded by luck or a bit of brilliance. 

• Like 2

Find it fascinating, whenever we are successful it's because other teams aren't very good yet whenever we lose it's because we are rubbish.

Reality is, Southgate is statistically the 3rd best manager in the countries history and has a very good chance to lead us to his second major final, something nobody else has done. Are we playing well? Nope. But we are scraping out wins and finding a way, something that for decades we have struggled to do.

Switzerland came into this one off the back of wins against Italy and Germany, yet we got past them. Would I keep him after the Euros if we don't win it? Probably not, but he's done a better job as England manager than anyone in my life time, certainly

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

There’s been several comments from senior ex pros about how the side doesnt look right, how there’s something clearly amiss within the squad. Thing is though , they all seem up for it. The body language doesn’t really suggest somethings wrong. 

So is this really a conscious choice to be so tepid? Essentially park the bus and hope for the that one moment?