IGNORED

Come on, England

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

Given that Shaw hasn't been fit, who would you have been playing LB?

Trippier.

59 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Only changes i would make to the side you picked would be

Bellingham where your playing Mainoo

Foden where you had Bellingham

IMO Foden is a better 10 than Bellingham is

Starting the tournament. No hindsight e.g. Kane's form falling off a cliff.

Pickford

Walker   Stones  Guehi    Trippier

Bellingham        Rice

Foden              

Saka                    Kane                Palmer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Only changes i would make to the side you picked would be

Bellingham where your playing Mainoo

Foden where you had Bellingham

IMO Foden is a better 10 than Bellingham is

The only argument I'd make to that is I'm not sure Foden's currently showed that, including yesterday when he was in more of a number 10 role.

Foden's had an outstanding season and there's an obvious mitigation that he's been picked out of position but, much like Kane, it's hard to justify a place in the team on current form alone. 

4 hours ago, CiderCraig said:

I feel some people aren't happy unless they're miserable.

We're in the semi-final, we may well win the whole thing. But even if we win 5-0 in the final, some people will inevitably state "it should've been 6". 🤨

Or 7 👀

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CiderCraig said:

I feel some people aren't happy unless they're miserable.

We're in the semi-final, we may well win the whole thing. But even if we win 5-0 in the final, some people will inevitably state "it should've been 6". 🤨

I do agree. Video on X of the England lads celebrating going back to the dressing room and some skip driver who played in the Newcastle and District Sixth Division at full back for 17 years and couldn’t hit the ball down the line without shanking it out of play nine times a game reckons he would have been hanging his head in shame😂.

We all know we’ve been crap but as a nation of football “supporters” we do need to get a bit of a grip now.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I am two badges down from the great one but I will have a pop.

Pickford

Walker   Stones  Guehi    Shaw

Mainoo    Rice

Saka            Bellingham              Palmer

Toney     

If you want width, then playing Palmer on the left is going to give you the same outcome as Foden.

Foden/Palmer playing on the left is only going to work if you’ve got an overlapping full back behind them.

5 minutes ago, Henry said:

If you want width, then playing Palmer on the left is going to give you the same outcome as Foden.

Foden/Palmer playing on the left is only going to work if you’ve got an overlapping full back behind them.

It would be hard for Palmer not to provide more width than Foden because England have not been playing a player wide on the left in an advanced position. One of Cole Palmers characteristics is his ability to play adeptly in wide positions. Chelsea play regularly a 4-2-3-1 and Palmer plays across the three on both sides. 

• Like 1

Yep Zwayer the German referee.............is known to Zway to the left and then Zway to the right,   dependent on who is providing the stuffed brown envelope?  I'll get my coat..................

• Confused 1

On 07/07/2024 at 17:01, Cowshed said:

I am two badges down from the great one but I will have a pop.

Pickford

Walker   Stones  Guehi    Shaw

Mainoo    Rice

Saka            Bellingham              Palmer

Toney     

What you don’t have, and nor do any of us, is inside knowledge of the camp. Fitness levels, niggles, mindsets. It IS possible there’s things we don’t know.

I don’t disagree with your lineup necessarily but there has to be more to it than just players on a pitch.

• Like 4

Is the shit going to hit the fan with the Ref wednesday - seems he and Bellingham have history! Hence the salute and the fact that 3 out of 4 black england players were booked in the 1st 10 minutes of that game 

6 hours ago, MarcusX said:

What you don’t have, and nor do any of us, is inside knowledge of the camp. Fitness levels, niggles, mindsets. It IS possible there’s things we don’t know.

I don’t disagree with your lineup necessarily but there has to be more to it than just players on a pitch.

Shaw has to start bring so much balance to the team and more attacking options if he doesn’t play every time the ball goes out to the left it just goes backwards or comes back inside again 

• Flames 1

12 hours ago, redkev said:

Shaw has to start bring so much balance to the team and more attacking options if he doesn’t play every time the ball goes out to the left it just goes backwards or comes back inside again 

I did laugh that the first time Shaw received the ball the other night he cut back and passed backwards 🤣

But yes I absolutely agree. With no unknown factors I wouldn’t do much different to what @Cowshed posted... I’m just so baffled by it that my only conclusion is something behind the scenes or other factors beyond football reasons!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Unless numerous numbers of the squad are injured, the team can play with more width. The players Mr Southgate puts on the pitch = Where is the width, and depth. That is down to Mr Southgate. His formations with what become two tens behind Kane are narrow, with Kane dropping off = Where  is the width, and depth. The decision to pursue in this manner is a reflection of Mr Southgate. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Sounds like only change is Guehi for Konsa.

Harsh on Konsa, but it would have been harsher on Guehi.

Tripper on the left is infuriating. If Shaw is fit play him - even if you only get 60 minutes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Tripper on the left is infuriating. If Shaw is fit play him - even if you only get 60 minutes. 

They looked so much more balanced once Shaw came on the other day. Seriously, if he's not fit to be risked in the Semi, why was he even in the squad. Trippier leads to the whole left side becoming a no-go zone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Well, I'm just gonna moan, moan, moan about England.

Because if I start praising 'em now, we're gonna lose.

you know that if England play well, they'll inevitably lose

Genuinely not sure how to call tonight.  Personally I think it’s a game that England should win, on paper at least.  

Southgate clearly isn’t going to change his system, but I’d love to seem him be braver and more proactive with subs. 

Currently on a train from Dusseldorf to Dortmund. Am told Dortmund is almost totally overrun by Dutch fans - one estimate I saw the other day said 85,000 were expected to make the short hop across the border, which might create an interesting situation later as the fan zone only has capacity for 30,000, and the official allocation at the stadium was around 10,000 for each team. 

Visit number 2 to the Westfalenstadion for me tonight. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Currently on a train from Dusseldorf to Dortmund. Am told Dortmund is almost totally overrun by Dutch fans - one estimate I saw the other day said 85,000 were expected to make the short hop across the border, which might create an interesting situation later as the fan zone only has capacity for 30,000, and the official allocation at the stadium was around 10,000 for each team. 

Visit number 2 to the Westfalenstadion for me tonight. 

Who has the yellow wall end?

The only change I would make is playing Shaw - if he's fit he can do the 90, if he needs to come off at some point we can make the change that fits the score/state of play at the time. If we need to be more attacking we can or if we are trying to make things more solid we have Trippier who could come on. 

We lost in a semi final to Holland in 2019, albeit we weren't as good then as we are now and they are a notch or 2 down now from then, they've lost some midfield control and goal power since Koeman's first stint.

I think we had some issues in midfield as the game wore on even though we scored first..

Having just checked.

They had Wijnaldum who doesn't seem as effective these days and De Jong (not playing).

Off the bench, Strootman also of the past and van De Beek pre Man United ruination.

Meanwhile we now have Bellingham and Foden to name 2 plus Guehi among others.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Feeling far from confident on this one. Think we have rode our luck somewhat to get this far, but heck we are there so hopefully can nick it. Southgate not going to change a thing, so we are likely to know what kind of game we will get. Going to come down to some moments of magic from one or two of our players who are certainly capable of it, rather than being the better more cohesive balanced side. Given how we have played, anything from here feels like a bonus anyway.

5 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Feeling far from confident on this one. Think we have rode our luck somewhat to get this far, but heck we are there so hopefully can nick it. Southgate not going to change a thing, so we are likely to know what kind of game we will get. Going to come down to some moments of magic from one or two of our players who are certainly capable of it, rather than being the better more cohesive balanced side. Given how we have played, anything from here feels like a bonus anyway.

Pretty much agree with you. Luck will only get you so far. Feel like tonight’s will run out. It’s all a bonus from here on now too in my view.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Pretty much agree with you. Luck will only get you so far. Feel like tonight’s will run out. It’s all a bonus from here on now too in my view.

I think we have an inferiority complex from being the bridesmaid too often but tonight I feel a wedding coming on 3-1 to England.

England seem to score the most this tournament when they abandon all attempt at tactics and just make it up as they go, and we are more watchable when a goal down. Fingers crossed it all clicks tonight.

1 minute ago, Offside said:

Feeling very nervous. But I’ve got a feeling we’ll scrape through tonight

My ‘feeling’ is a 4-0 England win - put a tenner on at 50/1. The lady in the bookies looked over her glasses and ‘good luck with that’………:cool2:

• Facepalm 1

I get more excited for a run of the Mill League game for City, I think it's because we haven't really hit the heights yet, any heights .

I think the Dutch beatable , even as we have been playing. If Southgate lets the hand break off a little we have the players to win . 

Even in qualifying games he has been cautious, at least until teams tire , only then we have scored goals . 
I see us starting as we have done , slowly , we will only open up and really look a team when Shaw comes on to add balance .