IGNORED

Come on, England

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Alternatively we could be guaranteed a last 16 place by 8pm tomorrow and the handbrake might be let off a little!! Something like that can relax players and staff just enough…….

I'll be honest, I don't want our players to be relaxed. I think if you're going into one of the highest levels of football and representing your country you should be sharp, confident and driven, not evert relaxed. Look at Ronaldo, I don't think the man has ever relaxed, evacuated on his holidays he trains twice a day at his age, that's why he's still playing and Rooney looks like a kids party balloon. 

I don't want a relaxed England team, I want a hungry, aggressive, determined team with players who are driven and want to play their absolute best football and leave it all on the table. I'd rather see us go out attaching the opposition than playing this "safe" football we've played for so long. I miss the Gascoigne days when we had a player who didn't care what others thought and just wanted to go out and play, now it all feels so sterile. 

1 minute ago, Super said:

Evening Standard going with this

England predicted XI (4-3-3): Pickford; Walker, Stones, Guehi, Gomez; Gallagher, Rice, Bellingham; Saka, Kane, Gordon.

Apart from the obvious missing left back, I think that's a much better system. It might end up as a 4-1-2-3 if we're chasing though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Apart from the obvious missing left back, I think that's a much better system. It might end up as a 4-1-2-3 if we're chasing though.

The Shaw situation is a big worry did we expect him to miss the group stages? Massive gamble to stick him in at a Knockout Stage if we get there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I'll be honest, I don't want our players to be relaxed. I think if you're going into one of the highest levels of football and representing your country you should be sharp, confident and driven, not evert relaxed. Look at Ronaldo, I don't think the man has ever relaxed, evacuated on his holidays he trains twice a day at his age, that's why he's still playing and Rooney looks like a kids party balloon. 

I don't want a relaxed England team, I want a hungry, aggressive, determined team with players who are driven and want to play their absolute best football and leave it all on the table. I'd rather see us go out attaching the opposition than playing this "safe" football we've played for so long. I miss the Gascoigne days when we had a player who didn't care what others thought and just wanted to go out and play, now it all feels so sterile. 

Relaxed doesn’t mean taking it easy. It’s the mental side of not playing under so much pressure that it actually has the opposite effect of the focus you talk about. You end up focusing on the WRONG things. Being slightly more relaxed means you might be more able to focus on your job, not the outcome, be sharp, play with a bit of confidence etc. etc. rather than leggy and worrying about making a mistake. Rice being a perfect example who played like a pub player the other night because he was TOO tense and clearly let mistakes affect him.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

The Shaw situation is a big worry did we expect him to miss the group stages? Massive gamble to stick him in at a Knockout Stage if we get there.

Totally agree super. It beggars the question, why on earth didn't he take another left back? Wan-Bissaka maybe.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

15 minutes ago, Super said:

Evening Standard going with this

England predicted XI (4-3-3): Pickford; Walker, Stones, Guehi, Gomez; Gallagher, Rice, Bellingham; Saka, Kane, Gordon.

Or just one change ?

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5584013/2024/06/24/gallagher-alexander-arnold-england-team-news/?source=twitteruk&utm_campaign=twitterfc&utm_medium=social

26 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

So you'd have taken Grealish (say) over Eze?

I’d have taken a squad that was balanced (imho). I think Grealish would’ve made my 26. 

19 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Alternatively we could be guaranteed a last 16 place by 8pm tomorrow and the handbrake might be let off a little!! Something like that can relax players and staff just enough…….

FWIW I don’t think it’s a “handbrake” issue, I think it’s a lack of ability to turn the tide of a game. We start brightly, I don’t think going ahead shows there’s a handbrake at all, just that when our opponents have a spell, it seems we can’t weather it and then get back on top. It just descends!!!

Is that a mental thing, a lack of tactical intellect, etc. I dunno. But it’s why I don’t think the players are as good as they’re made out to be. They play when it’s favourable, they look poor when it’s not. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’d have taken a squad that was balanced (imho). I think Grealish would’ve made my 26. 

FWIW I don’t think it’s a “handbrake” issue, I think it’s a lack of ability to turn the tide of a game. We start brightly, I don’t think going ahead shows there’s a handbrake at all, just that when our opponents have a spell, it seems we can’t weather it and then get back on top. It just descends!!!

Is that a mental thing, a lack of tactical intellect, etc. I dunno. But it’s why I don’t think the players are as good as they’re made out to be. They play when it’s favourable, they look poor when it’s not. 

I think we’ll find out by tomorrow because I reckon we will already be through by kick off time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

STILL no Cole Palmer?  One of the deadliest players in the EPL last season, and currently sat on zero minutes. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

If Gallagher & Konsa are the only changes and the formation stays the same, I’m a very big Southgate advocate but it’d be very hard to defend him tbh. 

Would be more or less ok with Gallagher and Gomez  . Gallaghers on a yellow so Gareth will probably pull him off after an hour (!) and we can try a Mainoo or Wharton, who I both think are better options for moving the ball out of defence.  Gallaghers energy tho could help us get a quicker start.  

Said before I think Gomez is worth a go at LB. 

Just now, The chief said:

Would be more or less ok with Gallagher and Gomez  . Gallaghers on a yellow so Gareth will probably pull him off after an hour (!) and we can try a Mainoo or Wharton, who I both think are better options for moving the ball out of defence.  Gallaghers energy tho could help us get a quicker start.  

Said before I think Gomez is worth a go at LB. 

Is Gomez left footed, or can he play left-footed (recognising that there have been truly great right-footed LBs)

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

If we're currently nervous, conservative and cautious during an easy group stage, what makes you think we'll be more confident and aggressive when were facing better teams and could be eliminated by the slightest mistake?!

Surely it gets harder now?

9 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Is Gomez left footed, or can he play left-footed (recognising that there have been truly great right-footed LBs)

Right footed. Heard from scousers in Germany (red and blue  so not just Liverpool bias) that he played really well at LB for Liverpool last season. Plus he does (for klopp) get forward. Hopefully Gareth lets him cross the half way line.

id add Gordon too. We need pace up front as everyone knows. On fire Foden can come on later and finish teams off! 

Edited by The chief
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, I am at odds with them.  I don’t have to agree with them.  I think they overate our players at international level / get blinded by their club level performances for stellar teams (in some cases)…rather than watch / evaluate their performances for England.  They get a bit excited!

Once you get selected for England and play for England, it’s about what you do for England.  What you do for Man City or whoever is irrelevant.

Of course it could all be Southgate’s fault.  Some of it is (this tournament especially) but not all.

Every European country puts together the best available players for their squad. Obviously these international teams vary enormously is strength and depth and in my view our squad is as good as any other and match the likes of France, Spain, Portugal, Italy pretty well.

Not all but most of our current squad play in the PL which is considered to be the best European league of them all and if these players are told by SG  “slow down play, keep the ball and ”don’t take risks” then these guys will do it so to me it is all down to Southgate.

41 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Every European country puts together the best available players for their squad. Obviously these international teams vary enormously is strength and depth and in my view our squad is as good as any other and match the likes of France, Spain, Portugal, Italy pretty well.

Not all but most of our current squad play in the PL which is considered to be the best European league of them all and if these players are told by SG  “slow down play, keep the ball and ”don’t take risks” then these guys will do it so to me it is all down to Southgate.

“If”!!!

Is it the players alone that seek out the opening goal, starting brightly, go 1-0 up then say, eff it, let’s play Gareth’s way now we are one-up?

1 hour ago, mozo said:

If we're currently nervous, conservative and cautious during an easy group stage, what makes you think we'll be more confident and aggressive when were facing better teams and could be eliminated by the slightest mistake?!

Surely it gets harder now?

Yeah, you’re right. Putting in an improved performance, gaining a bit of confidence from it and kicking on has never ever happened in the history of football. How silly of me………..football is 100% dictated by office based logic which is why so many gamblers on the sport in this country are billionaires.

Lets get back to proven OTIB expertise…….I can’t see where the next win is coming from. That’s more like it.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Is there any scenario where England don't go through to the next round?

A shellacking tomorrow is about it I would guess and that’s only if results in the next two lots of group matches go against us. Remote.

Edited by Numero Uno

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yeah, you’re right. Putting in an improved performance, gaining a bit of confidence from it and kicking on has never ever happened in the history of football. How silly of me………..football is 100% dictated by office based logic which is why so many gamblers on the sport in this country are billionaires.

Lets get back to proven OTIB expertise…….I can’t see where the next win is coming from. That’s more like it.

I think we agree that to progress in the tournament the performances need to improve now, and of course that's possible. The only bit I disagree with is that by qualifying the pressure will ease and we'll naturally be more up for it. I think the players need to be coached and motivated for things to improve, and let's hope that happens.

Edited by mozo

Just now, mozo said:

I think we agree that to progress in the tournament the performances need to improve now, and of course that's possible. The only bit I disagree with is that by qualifying the pressure will ease amd we'll naturally be more up for it. I think the players need to be coached and motivated for things to improve, and let's hope that happens.

No, the pressure doesn’t ease, I agree, it ramps up. However, if the confidence levels are higher then it balances out. The other side will be under pressure too. The worst mix is high pressure and low confidence, may as well get on the plane with Scotland in that scenario……..I’ll be watching Rice closely tomorrow because he buckled badly last game and that surprised me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

Seriously. Conor Gallagher. So basically the same tactics, no control of the midfield.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

No, the pressure doesn’t ease, I agree, it ramps up. However, if the confidence levels are higher then it balances out. The other side will be under pressure too. The worst mix is high pressure and low confidence, may as well get on the plane with Scotland in that scenario……..I’ll be watching Rice closely tomorrow because he buckled badly last game and that surprised me.

Slovenia... surely any 11 we field can comfortably beat Slovenia...! 🫣

Just now, mozo said:

Slovenia... surely any 11 we field can comfortably beat Slovenia...! 🫣

If we are already through by KO time, which I expect us to be, I think England might give them a right doing. Just a hunch. That group needs something positive, badly.