IGNORED

Come on, England

I'm under the impression that it is just a stay of execution?  Well done Bellingham and Kane, but it was the only thing either of you   did during the entire game?   We are a mess that has muddled through, and as soon as we meet a decent side we are gone.  If, and only If , Southgate plays a different formation, introduces a couple of new faces to the starting line up, and makes better use of substitutions,  will we stand any kind of chance against the Swiss.  He is too cautious, safe and set in his ways, so i do not feel a lot of hope.  Those 2 goals hid a multitude of problems that a good side would exploit, lest we forget, Slovakia are ranked 52nd in the rankings, below Wales & Scotland!           

• Like 2

The difference watching Spain was stark. Usually 2 touches on the ball, pass and move. We used to do that!! I reckon there are about 1 million England fans who wish they could take training this week.

Tell the players they are allowed 2 seconds of possession max. We have to ingrain a faster tempo before the next match, not for 90 minutes, but a tempo which bursts into life to get behind the defence.

There have been times this tournament when we have intercepted a pass, the opposition are the wrong side of the ball but we just keep the ball instead of exploit the opportunity.

• Like 2

Just now, maxjak said:

I'm under the impression that it is just a stay of execution?  Well done Bellingham and Kane, but it was the only thing either of you   did during the entire game?   We are a mess that has muddled through, and as soon as we meet a decent side we are gone.  If, and only If , Southgate plays a different formation, introduces a couple of new faces to the starting line up, and makes better use of substitutions,  will we stand any kind of chance against the Swiss.  He is too cautious, safe and set in his ways, so i do not feel a lot of hope.  Those 2 goals hid a multitude of problems that a good side would exploit, lest we forget, Slovakia are ranked 52nd in the rankings, below Wales & Scotland!           

It will be interesting to see how “World Class Dec”, Stones, Walker and the rest fare next time out against a team that come at us which I think they will do. I can see the next game being one where we look decent going forward and, without Guehi, an utter mess at the back. Your typical who can score more type of game.

2 hours ago, The chief said:

Yeah we’ve been poor but that’s football sometimes. Games abouts moments . A 95th minute overhead kick in a knockout game is something indescribable really. personally I loved it when that went in. 

We’ve been awful In games but yesterday have found a way. Taking the positives and probs going out for the quarter - lord knows why. . Time to get behind the team really . 

Shirley Southgate will make changes this time? Get trips out of there and palmer for foden . Maybe even a change of formation .

its not surprising players are getting an us against the world vibe. Incessant moaning and negativity towards u would probably do that . 

Let's hope Shirley Southgate can persuade Gareth to let her make those changes 😀

29 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Positive thought. Anyone think the fright of being so close to going out might spark some changes? I had given up way before full time.

I thought that would happen after we scored the second last night. Nope half an hour of defensive dross. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Positive thought. Anyone think the fright of being so close to going out might spark some changes? I had given up way before full time.

That's just not Southgate is it? 

It'll be minimal tweaks before the next game and more of the same.

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Absolutely this

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

I’d hope, at the very least, Southgate will have noted the goals came once we took Foden and Trippier off and that he realises our left side isn’t balanced at the moment.

I’m not expecting much in the way to changes but I very much hope some of the players who came on to turn it around get to start.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jose said:

I thought that would happen after we scored the second last night. Nope half an hour of defensive dross. 

Yep, fair point.

In my head, when leading, we should see Kane pull a bit deep, taking his marker with him, then have a ball in behind where Kane was for a runner to link up with. Simple, effective. We know Kane doesn't have the pace for a ball over the top but he can be a good link player or a decoy. Who is our quickest forward?

23 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

Yep and he lost the war

He won the war of the 3rd, 4th and 5th coalitions before going to lose the war of the 6th coalition. But he rose again and almost won the war of the 7th coalition if it hadn't been for those Prussians turning up late for the party.

So it's a bit simplistic to say he lost the war as he had plenty of victories before that.

9 minutes ago, bredwood said:

He won the war of the 3rd, 4th and 5th coalitions before going to lose the war of the 6th coalition. But he rose again and almost won the war of the 7th coalition if it hadn't been for those Prussians turning up late for the party.

So it's a bit simplistic to say he lost the war as he had plenty of victories before that.

Sounds like Southgate

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

The players looked marginally more up for it than against Slovenia. Not saying a lot ofc...

Marginally more up for it? Ok, won't argue with that but what I will point out is that if it had not been for Ivan Toney pinning their centre half then Bellingham doesn't get the chance to score the overhead kick and if it had not been for Ivan Toney keeping a mishit and wayward shot alive Kane does not get a more or less open goal header to win us the game. For all the "talent" we apparently have in abundance we end up reliant on old fashioned, basic English centre forward play causing mayhem to win the game. We scored two goals right out of the League 2 playbook (accepting the quality of Bellingham's overhead was way higher than that).

Here's an idea Safegate based on the non-stop crap you have produced to date......how about we START the mayhem from minute one and not leave it until the 94th minute and 1000% PURE LUCK? Given the way we have stank the place out so far I would take going a bit more direct at times and scrapping for second balls in the opposition penalty area all day long as a way and means to win a few more games............playing your brand of "football" ain't doing it is it?

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Marginally more up for it? Ok, won't argue with that but what I will point out is that if it had not been for Ivan Toney pinning their centre half then Bellingham doesn't get the chance to score the overhead kick and if it had not been for Ivan Toney keeping a mishit and wayward shot alive Kane does not get a more or less open goal header to win us the game. For all the "talent" we apparently have in abundance we end up reliant on old fashioned, basic English centre forward play causing mayhem to win the game. We scored two goals right out of the League 2 playbook (accepting the quality of Bellingham's overhead was way higher than that).

Here's an idea Safegate based on the non-stop crap you have produced to date......how about we START the mayhem from minute one and not leave it until the 94th minute and 1000% PURE LUCK? Given the way we have stank the place out so far I would take going a bit more direct at times and scrapping for second balls in the opposition penalty area all day long as a way and means to win a few more games............playing your brand of "football" ain't doing it is it?

agree. The football has been utterly abject so far. I've defended Southgate a lot in the past, but this tournament has done it for me. Happy we won of course, but it was a hopeless 90 ish minutes. We can only hope that the manner of the victory yesterday will inject a bit of belief into the players, because they've looked lost in the 4 matches

4 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

agree. The football has been utterly abject so far. I've defended Southgate a lot in the past, but this tournament has done it for me. Happy we won of course, but it was a hopeless 90 ish minutes. We can only hope that the manner of the victory yesterday will inject a bit of belief into the players, because they've looked lost in the 4 matches

Likewise, been very defensive of Southgate as I felt he built a good “squad ethic” that resembled a club squad.

I thought his squad was wrong, very unbalanced, and that has meant he can’t tweak…and having stumbled through it almost needs a sledgehammer and something completely different.  The players at fault too.

• Like 1