IGNORED

Come on, England

On hols so not keeping up on the forum unfortunately, weather nice and hot and beer nice and cheap so otib takes a back seat for a bit I’m afraid , so don’t know if it has already been said , but how poor was the referee for the England / Slovakia game , made it all about him the first 3 or 4 bookings never needed to be bookings ,put himself and players in a position where I was sure he was going to send someone off and the players were scared to make a tackle , very very poor referee at a top occasion , only thing he seemed to be ok at was spotting the slovakians obviously feigning injury for any contact 

• Like 1

On 01/07/2024 at 06:42, Numero Uno said:

A lot of what you say about England fans is correct BUT what Southgate has produced this tournament is way below an acceptable standard. We play like dinosaurs compared to the other top nations and they are laughing at us when they are still awake……yet we have players who regularly produce way better than that. We might not be the best side at the tournament but are playing like one of the most clueless, down there with Scotland. It’s like lobbing the keys to a formula 1 racing car at your Nan.

Just take a look at what everyone in Europe says about us……hamstrung by a terrified coaching staff.

Yes it has been below standard, for sure. My point though was how the thread has been pretty quiet (8 pages before the game I think) and as soon as we're behind in a KO game and looking like going out it rockets to 30+ pages...

There wasn't 30 pages of discussing how bad we were whilst actually winning / getting through the group.

On 01/07/2024 at 08:32, Super said:

Yesterday was the worst out of the 4.

No chance. Denmark was probably the worst, we completely lacked composure and struggled to keep the ball at all. We've dominated the last 2 games possesion wise.

It's a low bar, but each game has slowly got better.

On 01/07/2024 at 08:46, Super said:

He knows more about football than the likes of me and you. 

On that basis, so does Southgate

On 01/07/2024 at 08:46, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's not often in football that you get what you deserve. 

How many games have we all watched where the better team hasn't won? Sometimes that does include us. Gotta take the rough with the smooth. 

The better team still won though. They were awful, much worse than us.

-----

I've said before I've been a big Southgate fan for the cohesion and togetherness he'd brought to previous tournaments. 2021 and 22 were some of the best tournament performances we've seen in a generation from England.

I can't understand how we've regressed so much?

It seems to me in the past Southgate had a style, defensively sound with genuine width and pace, runners getting beyond Kane as he dropped in. Just look at the two goals against Germany, from down the left.

He had a style, then picked the players he thought suited it best, leaving out some big names along the way.

This time around its like he's tried to just put the best players on the pitch and try to fit a style around that, a bit like England of old it just isn't working.

I can't understand why he's taken so long to make changes either.

I can't really defend him at all this year, so many strange choices - no backup left back, playing Grealish in the friendlies (and creating a goal) to not taking him, same with Maddison, playing Wharton in the friendly then not using him at all, Gordon comes on and frightens the defence in 4 minutes - next game we're chasing a goal and he doesn't even use him at all. All very, very strange.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

No chance. Denmark was probably the worst, we completely lacked composure and struggled to keep the ball at all. We've dominated the last 2 games possesion wise.

It's a low bar, but each game has slowly got better.

On that basis, so does Southgate

The better team still won though. They were awful, much worse than us.

-----

I've said before I've been a big Southgate fan for the cohesion and togetherness he'd brought to previous tournaments. 2021 and 22 were some of the best tournament performances we've seen in a generation from England.

I can't understand how we've regressed so much?

It seems to me in the past Southgate had a style, defensively sound with genuine width and pace, runners getting beyond Kane as he dropped in. Just look at the two goals against Germany, from down the left.

He had a style, then picked the players he thought suited it best, leaving out some big names along the way.

This time around its like he's tried to just put the best players on the pitch and try to fit a style around that, a bit like England of old it just isn't working.

I can't understand why he's taken so long to make changes either.

I can't really defend him at all this year, so many strange choices - no backup left back, playing Grealish in the friendlies (and creating a goal) to not taking him, same with Maddison, playing Wharton in the friendly then not using him at all, Gordon comes on and frightens the defence in 4 minutes - next game we're chasing a goal and he doesn't even use him at all. All very, very strange.

I think he picked a weird squad that has backed him into a corner playing style wise.

Guehi has done well, one of the few positives, but we’ve missed Maguire.  He’ll take the ball into midfield plus he’s a big threat at set-pieces.  Stones seems to lack the “leadership” to take on that mantle, and seems a shadow of himself.  Maybe he’s concentrating too much on covering Guehi, but he was so poor the other night.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Yes it has been below standard, for sure. My point though was how the thread has been pretty quiet (8 pages before the game I think) and as soon as we're behind in a KO game and looking like going out it rockets to 30+ pages...

There wasn't 30 pages of discussing how bad we were whilst actually winning / getting through the group.

If it helps, I've been bemoaning our performances since the first minute of the first game. Not sure how much I posted it on here though! This has been the most enthusiasm sapping tournament for England since South Africa in my humble opinion.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think he picked a weird squad that has backed him into a corner playing style wise.

Guehi has done well, one of the few positives, but we’ve missed Maguire.  He’ll take the ball into midfield plus he’s a big threat at set-pieces.  Stones seems to lack the “leadership” to take on that mantle, and seems a shadow of himself.  Maybe he’s concentrating too much on covering Guehi, but he was so poor the other night.

Yep I said it in here back in the early pages too I think, that maybe we miss Maguire. He is very good at those passes through the lines into more attacking midfield areas. I'm sure he'd be able to find Foden / Bellingham in space in that left side and I know we've just scored from two set pieces but we do really lack any aerial threat at corners. So much so we keep resorting to short ones.

It's always disappointed me how much Stones is lacking that leadership, and again it's missing Maguire back there at times for that as well. But Guehi has been pretty good, not perfect, but more than suitable given the concern of that position at the start of the tournament.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Kind of karma here. They’ve bored us to tears for four games so now have to listen to the human equivalent of an anaesthetic. Look like they’re really enjoying it.

Just waiting for the other Gareth (Ainsworth) to arrive with the Māori for a Haka to fire the boys up.

33 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Kind of karma here. They’ve bored us to tears for four games so now have to listen to the human equivalent of an anaesthetic. Look like they’re really enjoying it.

If you don't improve we're getting him back!

• Haha 3

On 01/07/2024 at 13:39, Markthehorn said:

Even Saka was cutting inside and Walker hardly got down the wing  like he does for MC.

They must be told to play like that ?

Walker was playing as a third centre back for large parts of the game as England played  a sort of 3 -4 - 2- 1 in possession. Trippier was the width on the left. Saka spent a large part of the game playing inside close to Mainoo, with Bellingham in advance  of him behind Kane.

Bit like this.

2                   5                6

26                              12

10                11

I would hope they were told to play like this. Otherwise there were multiple players making up what they were doing. 

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

According to Transfermarkt, England haven't played a back 3 since November 2021. Surely GS wouldn't roll the dice at this stage of a tournament?

Every tournament Southgate has managed, we end up finishing with a back 3. I’m not overly concerned. We played it at the latter stages of Euro 2020.