IGNORED

Come on, England

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

English wishlist moving forward

Find a proper CDM, not two 8's in Rice and Mainoo. Wharton may be that man with more experience.

Bench Bellingham and instead play a proper left sided player, be it Grealish / Gordon / Rashford whoever

Kane is coming to the end so hopefully Watkins will step up 

Something like this

Pickford

Trent Stones Guehi Shaw

Wharton Rice

Saka Foden Grealish

Watkins

Building for 2026 where Walker and Trippier may be too old and at least looks a lot more exciting that the play we have endured this tournament 

Trent isn't a great choice at right back, and Stones was pretty mistake prone during this tournament. Palmer has to start.

Kane is such an enigma. Scored a shedload for Bayern this season, so can't be past it - yet he looked like a League One player in this tournament.

Edited by AshtonGreat

12 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

So playing Foden and Bellingham like he was switching between a 10 and on the left, worked? No. 

His selection of Trent in midfield, it worked? No.

He selected Gallagher after Trent in game 3, did it work? No and he was hauled off half time.

Playing Trippier at LB did it work? Arguably no and at the detrement of anything creative coming from the left side. 

Playing Palmer every game off the bench, madness. Not seeing Gordon for more than 1 minute. Not dragging off Kane earlier every game, even selecting him every game despite clearly being off it. Wharton should have been playing over Gallagher but it's okay because we needed 'energy'.

It obviously worked to get us to the final but I do agree with many of your points as was frustrated myself all tournament 

Get the next man in, take the brakes off see what happens 

39 minutes ago, !james said:

Nope but he hardly played free flowing attacking football with the wealth of talent he had.

I think we have some delusional fans who think that there is a magic formula and all of a sudden a new manager will 'release the handbrake' and have us playing like 1979s Brazil. It won't happen, we will still grind out shit results and Southgate suddenly won't seem so bad. 

Hmm. So you agree he wasn't the problem at Chelsea but think it was his fault they played poorly?

He'll be fine. Just needs to get rid of Kane and find some pace up top.

And pick a keeper that doesn't have sh1t for brains.

8 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

English wishlist moving forward

Find a proper CDM, not two 8's in Rice and Mainoo. Wharton may be that man with more experience.

Bench Bellingham and instead play a proper left sided player, be it Grealish / Gordon / Rashford whoever

Kane is coming to the end so hopefully Watkins will step up 

Something like this

Pickford

Trent Stones Guehi Shaw

Wharton Rice

Saka Foden Grealish

Watkins

Building for 2026 where Walker and Trippier may be too old and at least looks a lot more exciting that the play we have endured this tournament 

I stopped at ‘bench Bellingham’.  Absolutely laughable.  Not been at it this tournament after an insanely long season for a young player but to say bench him going forward is insane 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

So you’d choose Steve Bruce or Sam Allardyce over Pep or Klopp simply because their English ?

Yep. If they were the only options. They're English not Spanish or German. We're English? Our team is called England??

1 minute ago, JAWS said:

Yep. If they were the only options. They're English not Spanish or German. We're English? Our team is called England??

I don't see how you can separate a manager out from the nationality criteria? Are you saying a manager is not integral to the performance of a team? They are obviously pivotal otherwise why have one? That being the case surely they too should be English. Not really logical otherwise. Obviously we'd all like Pep but that's an unfair advantage. It's weird

2 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Thank goodness you’re not involved in the appointment then !

I take it you’re not fussed about club level only we’re called Bristol City and our manager isn’t from Bristol. 

• Hmmm 1

11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I stopped at ‘bench Bellingham’.  Absolutely laughable.  Not been at it this tournament after an insanely long season for a young player but to say bench him going forward is insane 

He looked a absolutely gassed that second half. Having to stop and take breathers. La Ligas POTS needs some holiday for sure..

1 minute ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Thank goodness you’re not involved in the appointment then !

I take it you’re not fussed about club level only we’re called Bristol City and our manager isn’t from Bristol. 

Haha you're comparing apples with pears. Our players don't have nationality qualifying criteria? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bearded_red said:

I guess we’re now allowed to point out, what’s been blatantly ******* obvious since the Denmark game, that Kane is an absolutely massive issue in this team?

I think Portugal had the same issue with Ronaldo.

Although despite being considerably older Ronaldo moved a lot more during the tournament 

• Like 2

Germany 2-0 2021

Spain in Nations League in Spain 2018 (how Idk).

Belgium 2-1 at Wembley (maybe)

Beating Italy at Home was par, winning in Italy is quite rare.

Our record vs top sides is mixed under Southgate.

I think Portugal had the same issue with Ronaldo.

Although despite being considerably older Ronaldo moved a lot more during the tournament 

I'm surpsised they pick Pepe still!

41 year old CB..must massively inhibit ability to play a high line. 

1 minute ago, JAWS said:

Haha you're comparing apples with pears. Our players don't have nationality qualifying criteria? 

Meant Bristol qualifying obvs. Soz. Think you know what i mean

1 minute ago, bearded_red said:

I guess we’re now allowed to point out, what’s been blatantly ******* obvious since the Denmark game, that Kane is an absolutely massive issue in this team?

Absolutely. 

So going into the tournament as Europe's top scorer I believe, so either 2 things.

He is still carrying the injury he sustained at the backend of Bayern's season or tactically the way we set up did not work for him.

At Bayern you have runners both wings and frankly Musiala and other midfielders making runs behind because some of Kanes passing this season has been world class. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAWS said:

Okay there may be an element of the players wanting an English manager but I’m not so sure they’d be too bothered by that.

However I bet this current squad would rather play under Klopp or Pep rather than Bruce or Allardyce

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Germany 2-0 2021

I’m hoping you’re being tongue in cheek there Mr Pop, I’ve always thought Pepe had a very punchable face but his performance in this tournament was pretty good I thought 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Germany 2-0 2021

So just a pitiful few, maybe! Yeah he's performed better than any England manager in terms of stages reached but not when you look at the teams played

3 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Okay there may be an element of the players wanting an English manager but I’m not so sure they’d be too bothered by that.

However I bet this current squad would rather play under Klopp or Pep rather than Bruce or Allardyce

You're missing the point. It's England. The manager is an integral part of the England team performance. Arguably the most important and consistent part. Why should it be right to bend the rules to get a better manager just because the choices we have maybe aren't as good. In my view it's like saying let's have Mbappe

12 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Really hate to say it, but the bloke is a serial loser. Wanted it to come good for him and have always backed him, but for those that have watched the Spurs amazon doc and seen his prematch “pep” talks you can clearly see there aint much there regarding leadership, so if he’s playing poorly he’s not adding anything of note to the team & sadly we may be seeing the beginning of the decline for him. 31 and not a single trophy is mental for a player like him. Underperformed in so many finals he has played in.

Unfortunately the ready made replacement decided to **** about his missus and rape her, so not a chance he will ever be seen in an England shirt. As good as Toney and Watkins are, we need to hope a young goalscorer comes through between now and the next Euro’s to eventually replace Kane.

Edited by Mr Hankey

No I did misinterpret it, hence my reply.

but I’ll stand by believing the England squad would rather be managed by a world class foreign manager than by a journeyman English manager 

Obvs

I won't repeat the many comments on here that I agree with other than to say Southgate has been brilliant as a leader and organiser but not really up to the mark as an elite football coach.

If my 91 year old Mum can see that Kane hasn't been fit enough for this whole tournament then the coach surely needed to be brave enough to change it at half time and trust the talent on the bench.

• Like 2

Just now, JAWS said:

You're missing the point. It's England. The manager is an integral part of the England team performance. Arguably the most important and consistent part. Why should it be right to bend the rules to get a better manager just because the choices we have maybe aren't as good. In my view it's like saying let's have Mbappe

There’s no rules about what Nationality an England manager should be.

whereas there are rules around why we can’t have Mbappe.

I’m not missing the point I just don’t believe that an international team manager can’t be from another country.

I bet you the Republic of Ireland think the best times they’ve had were under a man who won the World Cup for England.

That squad played for him because of the man he was to them and his nationality was irrelevant.

Best person for the job not national sentiment 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

That may well be so, but he does seem to go long far more often that other top tier keepers. Tonight, despite his heroics in the more obvious parts of goalkeeping, he did cough up possession very often. Genuinely cannot remember him finding a colleague. This may have been because of Spain’s excellent press, but I think it was the same in the earlier rounds too. 

Pickford has launched the ball more than any keeper in the tournament. England have not had the control the team has had in the past, and looked uncoordinated building from the back. Teams push up and Pickford has to go long to options that have not secured the ball, rinse and repeat. The alternatives Ramsdale etc would not have been an improvement. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

There’s no rules about what Nationality an England manager should be.

whereas there are rules around why we can’t have Mbappe.

I’m not missing the point I just don’t believe that an international team manager can’t be from another country.

I bet you the Republic of Ireland think the best times they’ve had were under a man who won the World Cup for England.

That squad played for him because of the man he was to them and his nationality was irrelevant.

Best person for the job not national sentiment 

Sorry. I acknowledge there are no rules but I think there should be as I don't see how you can differentiate the influence of a manager ie. If a player has to be English then so should the manager. And in the absence of rules I think we should stick to logic whether we have to or not. But that’s just me. 

1 hour ago, MelksRed said:

Congratulations Spain.

Good to see what can be achieved with offensive front foot football....

English game is too tippy tappy across the back and take 15 mins to go from box to box.  

Dinosaur No.9 on for too much of the game....a useless Statue. 

Bellingham and Foden well off their respective club form.....

We have progressed further than we should have.....been found out by a better team.... didn't really win any second balls, too happy to sit deep and invite the best team in the competition on to them in the LAST 10 MINUTES.

Luck has finally run out......

Warnock for England Manager 🤪...might have some guts about us then.

Rant over.....off to bed. 

I needed a laugh after that I take it you were joking :laugh:.

26 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’m hoping you’re being tongue in cheek there Mr Pop, I’ve always thought Pepe had a very punchable face but his performance in this tournament was pretty good I thought 

I'm not a huge fan of Pepe, as a personality. Fine player in his day and he's exceeded (my) expectations this time all told- one very notable recovery v Slovenia I think.

18 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I haven’t looked into this, off the cuff but which international manager has got their team to two finals and a semi ever?
Maybe they were got rid of for progression like we should now but would like to know?

With the talent at his disposal he shouldve won one trophy in his tenure. Spain were deserved winners but we have a better squad on paper & we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory versus Italy in the last euros. And little ole Crotia with a population of 3 million beat us in the world Cup. 

Not good enough 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JAWS said:

So just a pitiful few, maybe! Yeah he's performed better than any England manager in terms of stages reached but not when you look at the teams played

I maintain mixed.

On the debit ledger we lost v Belgium x 2 in 2018 and I'd argue Croatia had a top midfield for a time, lost v Italy on penalties, Spain at Home (Nations League)..obviously Spain tonight and France last WC. Belgium Away 2020 Nations League too.

Oh we beat Holland in the semi finals and were outmanouvered by then in 2019 Nations League semi final if we can class Holland as such.

Could argue 3-1 turnaround v Italy at Home also decent.

8 minutes ago, JAWS said:

With the talent at his disposal he shouldve won one trophy in his tenure. Spain were deserved winners but we have a better squad on paper & we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory versus Italy in the last euros. And little ole Crotia with a population of 3 million beat us in the world Cup. 

Not good enough 

Croatia had a superior midfield in 2018 and structure...that engine room really helps.

Let's dismiss an engine room of Brozovic, Modric, Rakitic vs Henderson, Lingard, Alli? Which one is more cohesive and structured.

Our structure vs theirs offered an opportunity for them to double up on our wingbacks too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Spain’s best player went off at HT and we concede a minute later. We were never in danger of winning tonight unfortunately. Congratulations to Spain the better team from minute one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin101 said:

There was a moment a few minutes after we’d just scored, fans were up for it, players visibly had the momentum and we had a throw-in around their box. What did we do? Throw it back to halfway line, then back to Pickford. Mind-blowing.

You forgot to say that pickford then kicked it out for a goal kick... at the other end....

What a disappointing night 

• Like 1

The point where he possibly should have gone is when we lost to Hungary and got relegated in the nations league.

Since then we qualified easily beating Italy home and away and were bookie’s favourites to win the euros

He's done an amazing job but next man please 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Absolutely. 

So going into the tournament as Europe's top scorer I believe, so either 2 things.

He is still carrying the injury he sustained at the backend of Bayern's season or tactically the way we set up did not work for him.

At Bayern you have runners both wings and frankly Musiala and other midfielders making runs behind because some of Kanes passing this season has been world class. 

Yep. Kane is probably fine but playing Saka Bellingham and Foden with him was the wrong mix. Everyone wants to have ball to feet. Nothing mixed in. That or nothing. Idk why Gordon wasn’t given a go. If reluctant play Watkins off the left where he has before. Get some off the ball movement. It was non existent the entire tournament. Failing that, just drop Kane. 

Anyway, has to be time for Southgate to go surely? You get the feel England reached the final on luck of the draw and pure individual talent. Nothing that Southgate did tactically. 

• Like 1

Southgate had probably run his course yeah.

A tournament too far really, seemed a bit unclear on shape then both too loyal in some ways, not radical enough in others.

He has done good things but I feel it is one too far..8 years is probably enough.

We have a good goal to shot efficiency under him often- in tournaments and at times qualifiers certainly, that can't be denied.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cityexile said:

It’s all about personal views, but will believe for ever that the Toney sub at 94 min was not genius, but wanting to give Toney the chance to say he had played at the Euros. 

Either that or he had a bet on Toney coming on in extra time...

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm not a huge fan of Pepe, as a personality. Fine player in his day and he's exceeded (my) expectations this time all told- one very notable recovery v Slovenia I think.

Yeah actually quite incredible really that a 41 year old can play 4/5 games at an elite level tournament and only get caught out once. Especially combined with a 39 year old playing up front. Just the one against Slovenia again I think where he got left for dead on a breakaway near the centre circle and even then it didn't cost a goal.

Pepe's positional play was and had to be exceptional and his effort was superhuman.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

No disgrace in defeat. England ran Spain a lot closer than I thought we would but Spain were the better team on the night, were the best team in the tournament and scored two quality goals in the final. 

We gifted the goals.......

5 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Have to agree. Potter is like a less charismatic Southgate.

And would be anymore attacking and progressive under him which is the main complaint about Southgate.

Think it's the way most modern managers go tbh - the Pep effect almost.

Play it safe and slowly. 

Well, that’s the end of a strangely disengaging tournament. It’s said that it doesn’t matter how you win it if you win it, but the flip side to that is if you don’t win it, then it heightens your deficiencies. And over the tournament, as has been said, we were disjointed, negative, and seemed to set up in a way that negated as opposed to enhanced our strengths.

I’m one of those who is club first and country second and can broadly take or leave England, so the entertainment factor is high for me, and that plain wasn’t there. And that also meant the games didn’t grab the attention - it wasn’t a tournament with a Euro 96 Holland 4-1, Italia 90 Germany 1-1 or even a 2-1 France loss in 2004. It was just “there”

So, for me, yeah, Southgate’s time is up. But unlike others who say he’s re-engaged the country with the national team, I think for those of us that like football and aren’t the “INGERLUND” flag wavers, pint throwers who come out for any bandwagon, he’s actually disengaged people. When you have the Bundesliga top scorer, Real Madrids best player and players of the ilk of Foden, Saka etc to serve up the fare he has is damning.

Who next? Who knows. But they don’t have to be English, as long as they seek to win and just not lose games.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pillred said:

I needed a laugh after that I take it you were joking :laugh:.

It's the usual garbage being written. Anyone sensible realises that England don't lack guts, they lack quality in certain areas and a refined tactical plan that is able to win against the best at the level. The second part is largely on Southgate and, actually, the first part is to a small extent when you have the likes of Grealish sat at home on his sofa and no natural left sided wide player in the squad...................any international team "lacking guts" (mental statement) playing Spain would be conceding double figures. Comment when you are angry and that's what comes out.

Mainoo after a great tournament found the game to be above his pay grade last night but he's young, will take a lot from that experience and will learn fast, Rice's reputation is slowly flushing down the shitter (has flat track bully written all over him on what I am seeing) and Bellingham clearly needs a rest and a significant mental reset if he's ever to become more than a "moments" player and actually impose himself on games which is something he didn't threaten to do at this tournament. I do think he's shifted from the positive arrogance that Cole Palmer displays to something more negative and it ain't a great look tbh. Kane will probably not be in an England shirt (or at least not starting) at the next tournament we qualify for, the same goes for Walker and possibly a few others.

I think a partial rebuild is required which needs some very tough decisions to be made as well as the potential for a bit of pain along the way as we bed younger players in and, for that reason, Gareth will declare himself "out". He may have had the appetite to do it as a tournament winner but as a nearly man I would guess he is more than happy with the job he has done overall, content to hide his family away from further flak that would come his way and will let the next guy cop it from our literally impossible to please fans and media.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Well, that’s the end of a strangely disengaging tournament. It’s said that it doesn’t matter how you win it if you win it, but the flip side to that is if you don’t win it, then it heightens your deficiencies. And over the tournament, as has been said, we were disjointed, negative, and seemed to set up in a way that negated as opposed to enhanced our strengths.

I’m one of those who is club first and country second and can broadly take or leave England, so the entertainment factor is high for me, and that plain wasn’t there. And that also meant the games didn’t grab the attention - it wasn’t a tournament with a Euro 96 Holland 4-1, Italia 90 Germany 1-1 or even a 2-1 France loss in 2004. It was just “there”

So, for me, yeah, Southgate’s time is up. But unlike others who say he’s re-engaged the country with the national team, I think for those of us that like football and aren’t the “INGERLUND” flag wavers, pint throwers who come out for any bandwagon, he’s actually disengaged people. When you have the Bundesliga top scorer, Real Madrids best player and players of the ilk of Foden, Saka etc to serve up the fare he has is damning.

Who next? Who knows. But they don’t have to be English, as long as they seek to win and just not lose games.

The problem is that the shift required to do that may well see some pain in terms of our performance or even qualification for a tournament in the short term. Our fans and media simply wouldn't accept a manager who said "trust me, this will benefit us in the long term" if we bombed in the group stages of a tournament whilst he is changing the style and the mindset to something that will enable us to beat the best in the long term. It might be the right way to go but it simply wouldn't be tolerated in any way, shape or form and the bloke would get sacked.............therein lies the massive problem for any future manager.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cityexile said:

It’s all about personal views, but will believe for ever that the Toney sub at 94 min was not genius, but wanting to give Toney the chance to say he had played at the Euros. 

He'd already played at the Euros

Clearly Southgate needs to go. We need a fresh approach last night summed it all up after we scored we did the usual and sat back instead of going for the winning goal like Spain did. It just smacked of negativity again the mindset should be to attack. We're a negative nation yes I know i harp on about TAA but we focus on him not being the best defensively and not one of the best attacking fullbacks in the World. Its another chance gone. We need a manager who has a more attacking mindset.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The problem is that the shift required to do that may well see some pain in terms of our performance or even qualification for a tournament in the short term. Our fans and media simply wouldn't accept a manager who said "trust me, this will benefit us in the long term" if we bombed in the group stages of a tournament whilst he is changing the style and the mindset to something that will enable us to beat the best in the long term. It might be the right way to go but it simply wouldn't be tolerated in any way, shape or form and the bloke would get sacked.............therein lies the massive problem for any future manager.

To quote someone “that’s the biggest bit”

I don’t think you generally win tournaments by being negative unless you have a lot of luck (see Greece and for a large time in Germany, us) so if you are negative and don’t succeed (and, for me, considering the draw, we’ve met expectations here but done so in a mind numbing fashion), then you’re equally as there to be shot at as with a glorious failure.

To me, you try and play the best you can with the resources you have - play to your strengths essentially. We didn’t do that in this tournament, and although doing so would have added more risk and created potential for an earlier exit, the chances of success would have been that much greater.

9 hours ago, RedRock said:

Think on the positive side that England’s ‘suffocate and have a couple of moments’ type of football will now not be adopted by the FA or English Clubs as our template

That’s the sound of Manning ripping up his coaching manual. 

9 minutes ago, Super said:

Clearly Southgate needs to go. We need a fresh approach last night summed it all up after we scored we did the usual and sat back instead of going for the winning goal like Spain did. It just smacked of negativity again the mindset should be to attack. We're a negative nation yes I know i harp on about TAA but we focus on him not being the best defensively and not one of the best attacking fullbacks in the World. Its another chance gone. We need a manager who has a more attacking mindset.

Don’t worry… when Southgate goes, maybe the number one right back in the country will be available for selection again. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Fordy62 said:

Don’t worry… when Southgate goes, maybe the number one right back in the country will be available for selection again. 😉 

Potter would pick him!

Thought Spain were excellent and we did well to restrict their chances. Best team at the tournament won. Lots of talk about England having the best players but nor the best team. I'd disagree as I think only three England players get in that spain team on a player for player basis.

Id like an Englishman to replace Southgate. Not sure who though. 

I don't think Southgate's record automatically makes him a better England manager than all of his predecessors. Would he have led us to victory against Argentina in 1998, Brazil in 2002, and Portugal in 2004 and 2006? I'm not sure he would

• Like 3

I'm similar to @Silvio Dante in that City mean way more to me than England.

I think Southgate should go, but also deserves respect. I don't "love" his style of play or agree with all his selections. But for me, people giving him massive pelters are the international equivalent of those that don't rate Gary Johnson.  Context is the "big bit'; GJ get us closer to success than any other manager in my time supporting City, Southgate has done the same for England.

The "easy opponents" argument isn't entirely valid; you win the group  you earn yourselves an "easier" opponent (with the odd anomaly). Look at our group in South Africa 2010, hardly a group of death... & we finished 2nd.

• Like 8

Just now, redysteadygo said:

Born in Bristol, live in North Somerset. Can I still apply?

Sorry, like myself, you're disqualified due to your address. FFS, I'm Level 1 (putting cones out) qualified as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

So you don’t think he’s been lucky?

2 finals. 1 semi. 
Consistently delivering in big tournaments. It’s not a one off. 

• Like 5

He’s delivered nothing then? You can argue he’s done well to get us to where he has but if you deliver something, you have something to show for it. We were never going to win it with him in charge. Said it from the start. 

It was like watching City going against a top end championship team where we just sit back in a block and offer nothing going forward. Panic when we have the ball and just give it back to them. With the players we have we should be doing better than that. A negative mindset which we’ve had from the start. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

7 minutes ago, Selred said:

Two finals. A World Cup semi final. More than any other manager since 1966.

Well he won't be troubling the trophy cleaner

Most negative manager we have ever had, a serial loser, missed penalty when playing, relegated at Middlesbrough as manager and won nothing with a very talented England squad

• Like 3
  • Flames 1