IGNORED

Come on, England

20 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We may well do but vs Italy and Croatia in those two games and other examples to a lesser extent we didn't outplay or control their midfield and we steadily got overrun.

Henderson, Alli and Lingard maybe you could.say, didn't outmanouvere and outplay Brozovic, Modric and Rakitic e.g. 

I feel we are better equipped now albeit we have an issue and tempo and or balance.

That the opposition has more of the ball does not alter the team intent of wanting to possess the ball and build from possession - England built methodically from a base of possession. That possession in the first third thus creates opportunity to attack in the second and third. The progression breaking down in the second and third areas of the pitches hasn't changed the intent. 

The intent also differs across thirds. Ali and Linguard were not operating in the same manner as say Stones and Henderson. Replace Stones and Henderson with Ali and Linguard the team would probably be unable to build from the first third at all, as the players skills differ widely.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

That the opposition has more of the ball does not alter the team intent of wanting to possess the ball and build from possession - England built methodically from a base of possession. That possession in the first third thus creates opportunity to attack in the second and third. The progression breaking down in the second and third areas of the pitches hasn't changed the intent. 

The intent also differs across thirds. Ali and Linguard were not operating in the same manner as say Stones and Henderson. Replace Stones and Henderson with Ali and Linguard the team would probably be unable to build from the first third at all, as the players skills differ widely.  

Tbh we could see it vs Tunisia, the qualifiers or most of them and Panama. Colombia was a bit of a scrap to say the least and v Sweden.

Stones and Henderson or Stones to Henderson form deeper, third one into third two? Final third of course being Sterling, Kane etc.

I still think Croatia were better set up but then I have my 4-3-3 bias AS I think that shape is well suited for controlling games but they had a superior midfield (IMO).

https://www.coachesvoice.com/tactics-croatia-england-trippier-kane-sterling-henderson-mandzukic-modric-lovren-perisic/#:~:text=England's 5-3-2 defensive,as their wingers moved inside.

I sometimes read Coaches Voice- you may have seen it, you may not but you maybe interested.

I'd attribute it to a combination of a questionable starting shape or failure to react and an acknowledgement that we were up vs quite a fine side especially in midfield.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Bold to go with an entirely unchanged front 4 considering the talent on the bench, but all four are coming off excellent seasons and that’s clearly weighing on Southgate’s mind when selecting. Kane, Bellingham, Foden… earn that selection. Palmer, Gordon, Watkins, Eze, Toney are all ready.

28 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

just the one change then.... colour me shocked... Foden Jude and Harry to get in each other's way coming short while saka fades after getting a kicking...bring Palmer on for 10 mins at the end. 

Post on Instagram taken from Morecombe and Wise. Southgate, superimposed on Eric says to Andre Previn " I've got all the right players but not necesserily in the right positions!"