IGNORED

Copa America thread

Anyone watching it?

I'm sort of dipping in and out of results and highlights. Argentina should certainly be favourites, it is in USA this year.

My dark horses are Colombia, unbeaten in all competitions since March 2022- albeit narrowly missed the World Cup.

Since new manager took over, fully unbeaten- friendly win in Germany, over Spain and beat Brazil in WC Qualifying.

Beat USA 5-1 in USA in a friendly the other week too.

Manager is also from Argentina which may give them an advantage if they play each other.

2-0 up v Paraguay approaching HT.

Brazil obvious contenders and Uruguay under Bielsa should be watchable. Marsch likes the high press, he's in charge of Canada. Costa Rica used to be more fun to watch than they are these days though.

Which if any is the Group of Death?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Anyone watching it?

I'm sort of dipping in and out of results and highlights. Argentina should certainly be favourites, it is in USA this year.

My dark horses are Colombia, unbeaten in all competitions since March 2022- albeit narrowly missed the World Cup.

Since new manager took over, fully unbeaten- friendly win in Germany, over Spain and beat Brazil in WC Qualifying.

Manager is also from Argentina which may give them an advantage if they play each other.

Brazil obvious contenders and Uruguay under Bielsa should be watchable. Marsch likes the high press, he's in charge of Canada. Costa Rica used to be more fun to watch than they are these days though.

Grupo A will be interesting for second place.

11 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I'll watch it when someone shows me which part of South America contains Canada.

Or alternatively, when England v Ghana is a Euro group stage game.

I’m guessing you don’t do Eurovision either 🤣🤣🤣

17 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Anyone watching it?

Who is broadcasting this?

Possible shock.

USA could go out at the Group Stage. Panama best them, and the last round of games is Bielsa Uruguay for USA and pointless, goalless Bolivia for Panama.

The tournament held in the USA of course.

If Panama get a point v Bolivia and Uruguay beat USA then Panama eliminate USA- Panama also pipped USA in 2018 WC qualifying.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2024 at 16:37, Sleepy1968 said:

I'll watch it when someone shows me which part of South America contains Canada.

Or alternatively, when England v Ghana is a Euro group stage game.

For that matter neither the USA or Mexico are in South America but they're all in the America's and presumably therefore eligible for the Copa America. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

For that matter neither the USA or Mexico are in South America but they're all in the America's and presumably therefore eligible for the Copa America. 

There are only 10 sides in South America who play in CONMEBOL qualifiers, I think Panama and Guyana too tbh but they play in CONCACAF- they're making the numbers up a bit.

Unsure of the qualifying format for Copa America tbh.

Edit- Panama should be Central America of course.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

55 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Copa America is a South American tournament. It's purpose is (okay, was) to determine the champions of South America.

They seem to have arsed around with it a lot since the 1990s - Japen have played in it twice, and Qatar once - and seem to have merged the tournament with CONCACAF.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Copa America is a South American tournament. It's purpose is (okay, was) to determine the champions of South America.

They seem to have arsed around with it a lot since the 1990s - Japen have played in it twice, and Qatar once - and seem to have merged the tournament with CONCACAF.

There's no way they'd be inviting any European teams to play in it, because we all know why they wouldn't...

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Because European teams could very likely win the tournament, this is why they won't invite them ever.

Depends doesn't it, South American conditions can be a bit of a leveller. 

Albeit Germany winning in Brazil was new ground, indeed Spain winning in South Africa- new ground as until 2010, no Eurorpan side had won a World Cup out of Europe.

The South American qualifying some is in some ways really challenging too- Bolivia and Ecuador at major altitude down the years.