IGNORED

Happy Fixture Release Day!

RedM

9 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

On the opening day

All league one games are at 5.30, all league two games are at 3 o clock. All championship games other than the sky football live football games are at 12.30.

Every EFL game can be watched live on sky on the opening day.

great! Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor

Edited by exAtyeoMax
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Olé said:

For context

• Sunderland (A) Tuesday night
  • Both Sheffield trips midweek
  • Only 1 midweek trip Midlands or closer
  • Opening day 12.30 start at Hull
  • Millwall A and Cardiff A next year
  • Only new ground next year
  • End season with 10 game run in from hell
    • Includes 4 away trips to all 3 relegated Prem sides and the beaten Play Off finalists
    • Includes 4 home games against usual play off contenders (5 if you include Preston)

That last game though. What a shootout to decide who finishes 9th/10th. Cannot wait for that drama to unfold.

• Haha 3

Screenshot_20240626-104703_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ff8407c2497a4cf6762ba8cdf9506058.jpg

From perspective of fans.

It is a weird list this. Some clubs with the odd kick off slots get not too bad journeys- Birmingham to London, Midlandsish ie Stoke and Coventry Londonish Watford to Millwall.  The two on Friday night aren't that far..probably not Oxford and Norwich either.

Some clubs though, us, Swansea, Plymouth, potentially Burnley, Sunderland and I'd have to check Leeds to Portsmouth- screwed over distance v kickoff wise.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

As for us.

Hull Away, Millwall Home? One point and 1 goal from those two last year. Albeit the former saw a tight call with a late flag to disallow a Wells goal and the latter was a fairly sleep inducing New Years Day game with their last minute winner. It IMO heralded the start of the slump, we needed to win it as we were not too far off 6th.

3 hours ago, RedM said:

Pretty much this yes. Even though matches change for TV etc knowing rough dates months ahead massively helps me with booking time off work as I have to give a lot of notice

I read that in America, in several different sports, once the fixtures are released, the dates & times are "set in stone". The governing bodies announced "We are in the entertainment business. Fans will have made travel and accommodation arrangements etc". As a result games go ahead despite injury problems and weather.

At one NFL game the home fans were asking "Who's that?" It was their fifth choice player for that position.In the depths of Winter games do get played in blizzards.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

For context

• Includes 4 away trips to all 3 relegated Prem sides and the beaten Play Off finalists
    • Includes 4 home games against usual play off contenders (5 if you include Preston)

On a more positive note; all eight teams will  now worry that they will be facing a resurgent Bristol City.

Do any fans ever worry "Oh no, we're playing Bristol City next week"?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

On the opening day

All league one games are at 5.30, all league two games are at 3 o clock. All championship games other than the sky football live football games are at 12.30.

Every EFL game can be watched live on sky on the opening day.

5:30 on a Saturday for Sags v Cobblers? Going to be at least 4-5000 locked out!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Screenshot_20240626-104703_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ff8407c2497a4cf6762ba8cdf9506058.jpg

From perspective of fans.

It is a weird list this. Some clubs with the odd kick off slots get not too bad journeys- Birmingham to London, Midlandsish ie Stoke and Coventry Londonish Watford to Millwall.  The two on Friday night aren't that far..probably not Oxford and Norwich either.

Some clubs though, us, Swansea, Plymouth, potentially Burnley, Sunderland and I'd have to check Leeds to Portsmouth- screwed over distance v kickoff wise.

The EFL….sponsored by Premier Inn……😵‍💫

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

The length of the Country Dec7th Pompey - Dec 10th Sun'land 

Similar as they did to us season before last with Norwich midweek on a Weds followed by Burnley away on the Saturday.  884 mile total mileage then, 820 this season.  It's a farce.

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Strong Steve Coppell, Damian Stewart and Nicky Hunt vibes….

You mean Dumblebore is going to quit after the first game?!?

Wednesday Morning GIF by MOODMAN

So the Sky deal........

I've just been looking at it, and every team is guaranteed at least 20 televised matches.  Clearly this will have been announced and probably discussed on here prior to now, but I missed that, so just putting it out there for others that missed it too.

But the one thing I can't work out is the 3pm blackout.  I see it mentioned that it's been scrapped for the opening weekend, hence League Two matches all being shown.  But what I'm not clear on is whether the blackout has been scrapped, or has it simply been suspended for that weekend only? I'm guessing the latter?

9 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

So the Sky deal........

I've just been looking at it, and every team is guaranteed at least 20 televised matches.  Clearly this will have been announced and probably discussed on here prior to now, but I missed that, so just putting it out there for others that missed it too.

But the one thing I can't work out is the 3pm blackout.  I see it mentioned that it's been scrapped for the opening weekend, hence League Two matches all being shown.  But what I'm not clear on is whether the blackout has been scrapped, or has it simply been suspended for that weekend only? I'm guessing the latter?

I’m pretty sure it’s been scrapped now

I love watching football in September, still a chance of lovely weather, most of the holiday makers are off the roads at last, get home in daylight, still all to play for.

And we have one measly home game and I’ll be away on holiday. So no home games for me from August 24th until October 2nd

3 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yeah, the use of the word scrapped makes it sound permanent, but every report I see follows that with "for the opening weekend of the season" which then muddies those waters a little. 

30 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

So the Sky deal........

⬇️⬇️⬇️

20 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

14 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Yeah, the use of the word scrapped makes it sound permanent, but every report I see follows that with "for the opening weekend of the season" which then muddies those waters a little. 

Correct.

Blackout remains.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Steve Watts said:

So the Sky deal........

From what I have read 9x midweek games, 4x bank holidays (3pm blackout won't be relevant here at least), first and last games are all guaranteed to be broadcast for all clubs in the championship. So I make it 15 guaranteed televised matches for all champ clubs just there. From all the other matchweeks 5 of the 12 championship games per week will also be moved for TV so on average should be around 27 televised matches (they have a promised a more even spread but we will see), 2 or 3 games per week at least will be kicking off at Sat 12.30 so expect a lot of early kick offs. This deal is for the next 5 years.

Be interesting to see how many of the opening 7 games get moved for TV next week, Swansea A is an obvious one they hopefully pick and maybe 1 or 2 others.

Edited by Baba Yaga

12 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

From what I have read 9x midweek games, 4x bank holidays (3pm blackout won't be relevant here at least), first and last games are all guaranteed to be broadcast for all clubs in the championship. So I make it 15 guaranteed televised matches for all champ clubs just there. From all the other matchweeks 5 of the 12 championship games per week will also be moved for TV so on average should be around 27 televised matches (they have a promised a more even spread but we will see), 2 or 3 games per week at least will be kicking off at Sat 12.30 so expect a lot of early kick offs. This deal is for the next 5 years.

Be interesting to see how many of the opening 7 games get moved for TV next week, Swansea A is an obvious one they hopefully pick and maybe 1 or 2 others.

image.png.0b6e9d79960740a22f98fb9a9e1eca87.png

See red arrow above.

15 Saturday home games + final day will be at home (could be a Sunday though)

8.8 will remain at 3pm

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Stoke away 3 days after Middlesbrough away… Sunderland away 3 days after Portsmouth away… same old same old. 

Would be interesting to see how it compares to other clubs.

From a football perspective, fans aside it is one of the reasons the League is such a slog.

Imagine in mid winter, talking last season now...somewhere between early November and mid February where it is colder, darker earlier, pitches can get heavier etc.

*Middlesbrough Away

*Coventry Home

*Idk Birmingham (pre Eustace sacking) or Sunderland (pre Mowbray sacking) Away.

In 8 or 9 days! Tough, relentless.

Or Idk

Watford Home

Sunderland Away

Norwich Away

It's one of the reasons I like this League, it can act as a bit of a leveller- Leicester imploded from mid January onwards before eventually coming good.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Starting and ending the season with teams we really like, eh?!? 😐

Quite interesting start of the league campaign, whereas November on paper seems the toughest month. Christmas period and Boxing day's fixtures could have been easier. 😅

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

Only 3 home league games scheduled between opening day [Aug 10th] and 30th September ; only 9 before Christmas Day.

All to play for in the 2nd half of the season!!

3 international breaks, one each in September October and November probably not helping that

1 hour ago, redsince1994 said:

Looking forward to the breathless, titanic, last day clash between the giants of PNE and City.

To decide who finishes 11th.

There will come a day - a sunny August day, with 46 League One games stretched out before us (all kicking off a 3pm Saturday and 7.45 Tuesday) - where we long for, pine for, PNE at home in May and the race to 11th in the Championship 

3 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

So the Sky deal........

3pm blackout hasn't been scrapped or suspended. There just aren't any (PL) 3pm matches that it clashes with.

4 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

3pm blackout hasn't been scrapped or suspended. There just aren't any (PL) 3pm matches that it clashes with.

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with whether or not there are any PL matches.  If it did then we'd have seen league 1/2 matches broadcast at 3pm on a Saturday in the International breaks.  We haven't.

15 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

9 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with whether or not there are any PL matches.  If it did then we'd have seen league 1/2 matches broadcast at 3pm on a Saturday in the International breaks.  We haven't.

It’s all becoming a bit like offside or handball in the area - making something simple as complicated as possible.

4 hours ago, headhunter said:

Only 3 home league games scheduled between opening day [Aug 10th] and 30th September ; only 9 before Christmas Day.

All to pay for in the 2nd half of the season!!

Correction made.

7 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Does anyone know at what point the post-Sky amendments list is out?

They have the next 7 days to amend matches during the first 3 months. At the start of the season they can amend matches up until FA Cup 3rd round in Jan I believe

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

It’s all becoming a bit like offside or handball in the area - making something simple as complicated as possible.

Trevor Birch stated on Price of football pod that they were able to show matches live at 3pm because there was no clash with top flight matches, as none e were being played at that time / day.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Think it's Uefa (European leagues too)as well. I.e top flight football.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Think it's Uefa (European leagues too)as well. I.e top flight football.

Just had a read up on it.

So it's in line with Article 48 of the UEFA statutes. Introduced in the 60s and allows each member association the choice to impose a 2.5 hour tv blackout in their territory.

England are the only member nation to impose this and have to submit their blackout intentions before the start of each season and that remains the 2.5 hour slot throughout the season.

Member nations can opt to allow a match to be shown during the blackout period on an ad hoc basis, but in doing so they cannot prohibit the transmission of any other match within their territory at the same time. It's this that has been invoked for game week one I'd imagine.

So in short, it's completely at the discretion of the FA as the member association for England.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Right the Avon and Somerset police, you have 4 months before we play Cardiff. Plenty of time to move it. 

Sunday at 12.30 guaranteed.  We're home to Sheff Wed on Wednesday night beforehand..

• Admin

Friday August 9
Championship

Blackburn Rovers vs Derby - 8pm kick-off, also live on Sky Sports Football

Preston North End vs Sheffield United - 8pm kick-off

League One

Barnsley vs Mansfield Town - 8pm kick-off

League Two

Chesterfield vs Swindon Town - 8pm kick-off

Saturday August 10
Championship

Cardiff City vs Sunderland - 12.30pm kick-off
Hull City vs Bristol City - 12.30pm kick-off
Leeds United vs Portsmouth - 12.30pm kick-off
Middlesbrough vs Swansea City - 12.30pm kick-off
Millwall vs Watford - 12.30pm kick-off
Oxford United vs Norwich City - 12.30pm kick-off, also live on Sky Sports Football
QPR vs West Bromwich Albion - 12.30pm kick-off
Stoke City vs Coventry City - 12.30pm kick-off

League One

Birmingham City vs Reading - 5.30pm kick-off, also live on Sky Sports Football
Bristol Rovers vs Northampton Town - 5.30pm kick-off
Burton Albion vs Lincoln City - 5.30pm kick-off
Crawley Town vs Blackpool - 5.30pm kick-off
Exeter City vs Rotherham United - 5.30pm kick-off
Leyton Orient vs Bolton Wanderers - 5.30pm kick-off
Peterborough United vs Huddersfield Town - 5.30pm kick-off
Stevenage vs Shrewsbury Town - 5.30pm kick-off
Stockport County vs Cambridge United - 5.30pm kick-off
Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic - 5.30pm kick-off
Wrexham vs Wycombe Wanderers - 5.30pm kick-off

League Two

A.F.C. Wimbledon vs Colchester United - 3pm kick-off
Barrow vs Crewe Alexandra - 3pm kick-off
Cheltenham Town vs Newport County - 3pm kick-off
Doncaster Rovers vs Accrington Stanley - 3pm kick-off
Fleetwood Town vs Grimsby Town - 3pm kick-off
Gillingham vs Carlisle United - 3pm kick-off
Harrogate Town vs Bromley - 3pm kick-off
Milton Keynes Dons vs Bradford City - 3pm kick-off, also live on Sky Sports Football
Salford City vs Port Vale - 3pm kick-off
Tranmere Rovers vs Notts County - 3pm kick-off
Walsall vs Morecambe - 3pm kick-off

Sunday August 11
Championship

Sheffield Wednesday vs Plymouth Argyle - 4pm kick-off, also live on Sky Sports Football

Monday August 12
Championship

Luton Town vs Burnley - 8pm kick-off, also live on Sky sports football 

Championship

10 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Championship described as one of the toughest in history last year? I thought it was the best chance to reach the playoffs in years, outside the top 4 no-one stood out.

On 26/06/2024 at 07:11, RedM said:

Love this day. A whole season ahead full of fresh hope and excitement!

If only hope and excitement lasted a whole season!

On 27/06/2024 at 13:59, downendcity said:

If only hope and excitement lasted a whole season!

It was totally tongue in cheek, I've been around too many seasons to expect anything but pure City 😄

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Club and Country said:

So when are the sky games getting announced? Must be any day now?

Yeah it would be great to know this as well as need to start using up remaining holiday at work- I thought it would be within a week of fixture announcement 

• Like 1

On 26/06/2024 at 09:37, Olé said:

For context

• Sunderland (A) Tuesday night
  • Both Sheffield trips midweek
  • Only 1 midweek trip Midlands or closer
  • Opening day 12.30 start at Hull
  • Millwall A and Cardiff A next year
  • Only new ground next year

Sheffield trips midweek is so so shit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Club and Country said:

So when are the sky games getting announced? Must be any day now?

has to be within a week of release for the games up to November I think? So if nothing heard by this time tomorrow - Aug/Sep/Oct should stay as is.

4 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Yeah it would be great to know this as well as need to start using up remaining holiday at work- I thought it would be within a week of fixture announcement 

I am in exactly the same boat... an away day double header of Boro and Stoke has caught the eye...