IGNORED

Fally Mayulu - OFFICIALLY SIGNED

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If, and it is only if, we are going for four attacking players, it must be certain that Conway will definitely not be here at end of August.

I think this is one thing that Tinns has definitely been overruled on, he suggested in that Podcast that we might run TCs contract down and just take compo, but whoever is calling the shots financially is looking to maximise what we get for him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Click bait media then, I wouldn’t take any notice of anything which is posted on that website. 

Yep. "according to a report by BristolLive" - it's literally rehashing what Piercy said yesterday.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He’s going to be using the float created by Nige initially. He does need a bit of time to create his own. Tommy might be the first example. 

Will he interesting to see how the strategy diverges, if it diverges.

Tommy will be example 1, savings from the departures of King, James, Weimann will feed in a bit too but mainly Scott and anything left over form Semenyo.

Plus the steady trimming in 2021-22 and 2022-23.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

28 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If, and it is only if, we are going for four attacking players, it must be certain that Conway will definitely not be here at end of August.

Only BT and JL could be confident to be certain of an uncertain event taking place.

I'm just going to try to ignore all the transfer rumours and wait until @Robbored confirms that the OS has announced something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On as football note, possibly hard to do but given his first year of success was with Linz, how would we weight the Austrian 2nd tier vs the Championship? Austrian top tier will have some decent sides certainly.

Probably isn't so simple but if one 2nd League ranked at x, one ranked at y etc.

Austrian Bundesliga is very top heavy, generally the standard is below the Championship. But a 21 year old scoring goals for Rapid shows a decent pedigree. 

Austrian 2. Bundesliga is more like league 1 / league 2 equivalent.

Edited by Pugofwar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Pugofwar said:

Austrian Bundesliga is very top heavy, generally the standard is below the Championship. But a 21 year old scoring goals for Rapid shows a decent pedigree. 

Austrian 2. Bundesliga is more like league 1 / league 2 equivalent.

FWIW I thought I’d throw a few clubs into Opta’s Power Rankings:

image.thumb.png.c8571c4210dcdf773c3d3e77470f3b7d.png

Auxerre - Sinayoko

Burnley - Twine

Rapid Vienna - Mayulu

Machida Zelvia (Jap) - Hirakawa

Pau (Fra) - Sylla

Birningham - Twine interest

Blau Weiß Linz - Mayulu’s previous club

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

With a good season there's every chance we could break into the world's top 300! Regaining our rightful place at that level!

Edited by The Masked Man
Omission
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Auxerre - Sinayoko

Burnley - Twine

Rapid Vienna - Mayulu

Machida Zelvia (Jap) - Hirakawa

Pau (Fra) - Sylla

Birningham - Twine interest

Blau Weiß Linz - Mayulu’s previous club

Where was the Hirakawa rumour posted?

• Like 1

Screenshot_20240628-114638_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2a00169c9948585842520a54b8b61ceb.jpg

On the plus side, I like a lot of what I read. Sounds like a bit in some ways like a pre injury, pre attitude, srill growing Maynard.

"Benefited in that two-up top". Hmm.

Kodjia another? Mentions pace, skill among other things.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Screenshot_20240628-114638_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2a00169c9948585842520a54b8b61ceb.jpg

On the plus side, I like a lot of what I read. Sounds like a bit in some ways like a pre injury, pre attitude, srill growing Maynard.

not sure I've seen a player in a City shirt with such an aptitude of shifting the ball out of his feet and quickly taking a shot from 20-25 yards as Nicky. 

2 minutes ago, devoncider said:

not sure I've seen a player in a City shirt with such an aptitude of shifting the ball out of his feet and quickly taking a shot from 20-25 yards as Nicky. 

Real shame about his injury and then subsequent attitude. Think he made some hasty career moves after us as well.

Joy to watch for 12 to 18 months..could kind of make his own chances too.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Real shame about his injury and then subsequent attitude. Think he made some hasty career moves after us as well.

Joy to watch for 12 to 18 months..could kind of make his own chances too.

Yes, and that qpr goal is the best ive seen in 40 years too

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Final paragraph reminds me of City. Most of our best players are essentially (attacking) midfielders - even more so if Conway leaves. I'm thinking there of Knight, Sykes, and I'm going to go for it and say Stokes as well.

15 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Final paragraph reminds me of City. Most of our best players are essentially (attacking) midfielders - even more so if Conway leaves. I'm thinking there of Knight, Sykes, and I'm going to go for it and say Stokes as well.

Yes that is a plus.

The two up front confuses me a bit though given that we haven't really used it as a starting setup since the first Swansea at Home in the Cup early January 2023!

16 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes, and that qpr goal is the best ive seen in 40 years too

The Newcastle one albeit a different type of brilliant looked effortless too.

I watched a 5 minute video of his best of from his time here and I loved was it when the ball was loose outside the box, defender and GK mixed up- he just casually and instinctively dinked it in.

I'm hoping with our recruitment of this lad we have enough in the squad to not be dependent on him too early. I don't see him as an immediate starter.

Clearly he will be very raw and expectations from the management and fans need to be kept in check.

Edited by Dynamite Red
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes that is a plus.

The two up front confuses me a bit though given that we haven't really used it as a starting setup since the first Swansea at Home in the Cup early January 2023!

I guess you just have to assume that either a) we might play with more than one up front this season or b) they think he can adapt.

4 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

I'm hoping with our recruitment of this lad we have enough in the squad to not be dependent on him too early. I don't see him as an immediate starter.

Clearly he will be very raw and expectations from the management and fans need to be kept in check.

Last time I heard something like that was when Dire Mebude arrived….😖

(only joking!)

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

It did mention that in the article too, the guy interviewed may not be in instantly scoring- said he took a bit time to adjust at Rapid Vienna too.

Almost feel like when the strong foreign press post transfer news out of nowhere they are possibly a step ahead than Bristol Live etc as perhaps we tell the journalists this end it’s still in limbo to make sure it doesn’t fall through. Austrian press have been very set on this for a couple of days. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, redkev said:

Currently on hols , can’t be arsed to read all through the thread , have we actually signed him or is he still imminent as Tins put it 🙈

Yes and no.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/fally-mayulu-bristol-city-robins-9374527

Piercy article. 

One bit that jumps out to me is that he apparently played in a strike pair?? 

Yet another new plan.. 4-2-3-1/4-3-3,3-4-3 with two 10s, have I missed any.

Ties in with a few comments I made watching general play clips.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ties in with a few comments I made watching general play clips.

Thanks.

I think he will be an interesting addition, an exciting one- I keep coming back to it but do we have a consistent plan?

It isn't so much the individual players but the chopping and the changing potentially..flexibikty and versatility is good, the risk of a muddle and or chaos isn't.

My gut feel is that you don’t bid on a player and stop relatively near to reaching an agreed fee, especially when you’ve seen one or two targets go elsewhere.  You have to bite the bullet for an extra half-million (or whatever).  Some players you steal (Knight, Dickie), some you have to pay a bit more, a bit of rough with the smooth.

With the kinda names we are seeing come out over past few days, another gut feel is we’ve cooled on Twine, and we’ll put him on the back-burner and go for others first.  Bit like we did January.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

That was a splendid goal. Assist for Hartley? 

I definitely remember a Hartley-Maynard one v Middlesbrough.

He made the one v Newcastle himself possibly, a long ball out of defence could be classed as an assist maybe.

03:55.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BritAbroad said:

L'Equipe are saying we've agreed a fee of 3m Euros including bonuses.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/actu-en-direct/mercato-d-ete-2024-live/11197   -  just scroll down to find it.

For accuracy - and before it becomes a thing that we paid 3 million euros for this kiddie: 

That article states "proche de 3 million euros" which means "close to 3 million euros"

There was also a tweet earlier today from a L'Equipe journalist stating "un peu moins 3 million euros" which means "close to", "a little less than".

So we aren't paying 3 million euros, ie 2.5 million quid, for him.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Mayulu woah oh

He signed from Vienna

Now lives in Bedminster

I was thinking more the Oasis line.

Oh Fally can play, that's what we say as he's flying so high

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dynamite Red said:

Appreciate we're likely to be spending a bit more this window, but I'm not sure we'd be spending approx £2.5m on a player who we don't intend to be starting games fairly quickly. Especially given that Conway looks to be leaving.

7 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Appreciate we're likely to be spending a bit more this window, but I'm not sure we'd be spending approx £2.5m on a player who we don't intend to be starting games fairly quickly. Especially given that Conway looks to be leaving.

There were several matches last season when, around 60-75 minutes I was thinking, "If we had a big forward to bring on here then it could well go our way". The thought was, sometimes, "I wish we still had Famara".
Maybe Fally could fill that role effectively.

The other numer 9 could well be the starter.

Edited by astrondrew

1 minute ago, astrondrew said:

There were several matches last season when, around 60-75 minutes I was thinking, "If we had a big forward to bring on here then it could well go our way". The thought was, sometimes, "I wish we still had Famara".
Maybe Fally could fill that role effectively.

The other numer 9 could well be the starter.

Honestly can’t see us spending big money for us on a bench warmer , even if takes a couple of months to get going properly 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Hmmm, hope we don’t have another Mebude here. That article Piercy published has curbed the excitement! Wonder if he will be a squad player and the other 9 apparently done according to IG is the main target. 

Piercy appears to have god like status on here 🙄

We won’t be spending this sort of money on a “ squad player “. 

While young and room to develop I’d imagine he’d be expected to hit the ground running. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I think he only started 14 league games last season of which he completed 90 minutes 4 times.

That is a big step up to starting in the Championship.

Hopefully he can make an impact quickly. Clearly he has huge potential but all the reports say he is very raw, at 21 adapting to the required standard in a new country may take some time and expectations should be set accordingly.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I definitely remember a Hartley-Maynard one v Middlesbrough.

He made the one v Newcastle himself possibly, a long ball out of defence could be classed as an assist maybe.

03:55.

The one v Newcastle is burned in the memory. Top class. Up there with JB's v Man U and Jimmy Mann's v Forest for me. YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1