IGNORED

Fally Mayulu - OFFICIALLY SIGNED

33 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

You don't need a 20 goal striker to finish in the top 6. 

Having a 20 goal striker does not guarantee a top 6 finish.

You just need (roughly) +15 GD and the results that typically come with that.

I give you Blackburn Rovers :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Never quite sure whether that means:

1. transfer fee is £2.5m and add-ons on top (if met), or
  2. Transfer fee and add-ons total £2.5m (i.e £1.5m transfer fee and £1m of add-ons)

l’equippe the source of this tend to quote example 2

If it says upto I assume that's the total value that the transfer may reach if all clauses are met? 

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

If it says upto I assume that's the total value that the transfer may reach if all clauses are met? 

That’s logical, but you see all sorts of ambiguity.

James “god-like” Piercy saying option 2 scenario.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

True. The defence of last season plus the midfield plus a 20 goal man instead of one of the two 10(ish) goal strikers would net us roughly an extra 10.

Which would give us +12 and yeh probably we'd have been up in 7th/6th with that.

Laat season was an insanely strong top 4 too so maybe higher in that scenario this time.

Leeds, Leicester, Southampton- has there been a stronger and bigger set of clubs for the level relegated at the same time in the era of FFP and Parachute Payments? I doubt it.

Ipswich a one in 20 season pulled out.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

You don't need a 20 goal striker to finish in the top 6. 

Having a 20 goal striker does not guarantee a top 6 finish.

You just need (roughly) +15 GD and the results that typically come with that.

31 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I give you Blackburn Rovers :) 

And for the first one - Bristol City - ‘07/08 we didn’t even need a 10 goal striker! 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

This guy isn’t going to be the 20 goal striker we need surely. 

Prime OTIB right there! 🤣

48 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Conway maybe odd so we could need another striker but yes that is true.

I know Cornick isn't terribly appreciated on here but could be provide some donkey work if we are going 3-5-2 for periods of the season. The support striker or something.

If we're going 3-5-2 then I'd be really pissed off that we wasted the last year alternating between Nakhi and Tommy rather than with them playing together. Would quite possibly have seen TC sign that contract as well, so potentially cost the club millions.

I would also hope that one of the 500 attackers we bring in would be able to function better in a 2 than HC. 

Would never question his efforts on the pitch but his ability is so far off the pace it's unreal. Because of his work ethic though, when he does go it'll be worth my best wishes rather than a good riddance.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

This guy isn’t going to be the 20 goal striker we need surely. 

Do you know something we don’t?

I made my feelings clear on why I didn’t renew my season ticket. But I must say, this is the sort of exciting signing that would get me interested again.

Has some Kodjia feels about it. 

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DHsnBaGRTZic&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjessuWg_-GAxUyWUEAHV59D8EQz40FegQIDBAJ&usg=AOvVaw1ZdVN1MBTgXv80HbYaR-0H

Left & right foot, it doesn’t matter as he certainly likes smashing them in. Also very good in the air 

Looks a good all round finisher with a good physique and runs well with the ball at his feet 

If we got him for around £2.5m then he looks good value 

Reminds me very much of Ollie Watkins and he hasn’t done too bad 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Prime OTIB right there! 🤣

If we're going 3-5-2 then I'd be really pissed off that we wasted the last year alternating between Nakhi and Tommy rather than with them playing together. Would quite possibly have seen TC sign that contract as well, so potentially cost the club millions.

I would also hope that one of the 500 attackers we bring in would be able to function better in a 2 than HC. 

Would never question his efforts on the pitch but his ability is so far off the pace it's unreal. Because of his work ethic though, when he does go it'll be worth my best wishes rather than a good riddance.

I agree for the most part albeit he hit double figures at Luton in a Championship season in and around that particular shape, so I wonder.

One of those who can perform in a side greater than sum of parts albeit like you feel we can upgrade and best wishes if we do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I definitely remember a Hartley-Maynard one v Middlesbrough.

He made the one v Newcastle himself possibly, a long ball out of defence could be classed as an assist maybe.

03:55.

I can have that as one of my claim to fames. I used to go home and away with Ashton’s dad and known Ashton (who made this video) since he was born. 

• Like 1

• Admin

Very pleased that the club appear to have pivoted from bidding £2.5m for players clubs value at £4m-5m before walking away.
I much prefer this new M.O. of signing a player for £2.5m whose club value him at £4m-5m and not needing to walk away. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Because he's an idiot.

How can this have been a "done deal", signed, sealed and delivered by yesterday at the very latest when he didn't even have his medical until today?

The bloke is a moron and every time he opens his mouth he proves it.

Plankton levels of stupidity.

I seriously can’t believe there are idiots that believe what that idiot says

7 hours ago, TammyAB said:

Mayulu woah oh

He signed from Vienna

Now lives in Bedminster

He is a Congolese 

Now he lives in Henleaze 

Same country of descent as Han-Noah, from a neighbouring suburb of Paris so I understand and a year younger.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

And for the first one - Bristol City - ‘07/08 we didn’t even need a 10 goal striker! 

And even a miserly +1 goal difference proved sufficient for fourth place - and, Yes, I appreciate that this was something of an anomaly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

And even a miserly +1 goal difference proved sufficient for fourth place - and, Yes, I appreciate that this was something of an anomaly.

The 6-0 defeat at Ipswich certainly dented this & I’d argue that Dele Adebola who scored 10 league goals that season (4 for Coventry, 6 for us) did so..

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

He is a Congolese 

Now he lives in Henleaze 

Same country of descent as Han-Noah, from a neighbouring suburb of Paris so I understand and a year younger.

I know you were based further south when you were in France (Carcassonne, if I recall correctly), but if you have ever visited the Parisian banlieues (suburbs) and witnessed the sheer number of (mainly black) kids playing football in those steel cages, sometimes as late as midnight, you would not be at all surprised at the number of top class footballers from the impoverished areas who turn in to professional players.

Le Blanc Mesnil, incidentally, has produced quite a few.

Oh, and not particularly relevant to football or our potential new signing, but I am sure many on here have seen shots of Americans, again mainly black, playing basketball in similar cages.

We have one near to where we live currently, and I sometimes stop to watch them - they are mainly young teenagers, but phenomenal.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Perfect, thanks Dynamite. Sounds like you have a sound understanding. I'm actually really excited about this one. That said, I was excited about Lorenzo Pinamonte. 

At my age I try not to get excited :yahoo::thumbsup:

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Scotty? Is that you?

Just to clarify, was at Ashton Gate for entirely different work thing and saw this lad and representatives walking out of the tunnel and then up and about in the Lansdown.

Have no ITK,  just really looked like him and his group and maybe I just projected it and really wanted it to be him. Who knows. 

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I know you were based further south when you were in France (Carcassonne, if I recall correctly), but if you have ever visited the Parisian banlieues (suburbs) and witnessed the sheer number of (mainly black) kids playing football in those steel cages, sometimes as late as midnight, you would not be at all surprised at the number of top class footballers from the impoverished areas who turn in to professional players.

Le Blanc Mesnil, incidentally, has produced quite a few.

Oh, and not particularly relevant to football or our potential new signing, but I am sure many on here have seen shots of Americans, again mainly black, playing basketball in similar cages.

We have one near to where we live currently, and I sometimes stop to watch them - they are mainly young teenagers, but phenomenal.

Incredible, no nothing like that in Carcassonne. We did have areas where north Africans lived and they'd be all night beeping their horns if say Algeria qualified for the WC finals but you'd rarely see anyone playing.

Good luck to Fally. I hope he settles well and quickly and continues his development. He has an interesting skill set, though far from the finished player, but from all that has been written, he has some potential to progress and is different to any player in the squad. It will be great to see him play in person and to understand what position and role he is going to play up front. He will be an aerial threat of course, but his game looks to be more than that. Allez Fally . 

Splashing the cash this summer it seems. Austerity is out the window. 

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Incredible, no nothing like that in Carcassonne. We did have areas where north Africans lived and they'd be all night beeping their horns if say Algeria qualified for the WC finals but you'd rarely see anyone playing.

It’s the same here (cars blowing their horns every Friday to celebrate weddings).

We often hear talk of English footballers years ago playing in the streets until late at night, or Brazilian kids practicing their skills on the beach, but these kids playing in the cages are something else.

I often have to visit these areas for professional reasons, and stand out like a sore thumb dressed in a suit and carrying a briefcase, but apart from sometimes being mistaken for a scout, once these kids realise I am simply admiring their skills and tenacity, they are as good as gold.

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that Jadon Sancho used to play in a cage when he was a young boy, hence his close space skills.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, pj76 said:

Just to clarify, was at Ashton Gate for entirely different work thing and saw this lad and representatives walking out of the tunnel and then up and about in the Lansdown.

Have no ITK,  just really looked like him and his group and maybe I just projected it and really wanted it to be him. Who knows. 

On robins uncut videos of previous signings they do medicals and announcement media shots on the same day so there’s a good chance it was him. 

(Edit: Well they did for some players)

Edited by George Rs

Looks like he could be a talent. The problem with these signings is the player is usually judged on the opposition, and numbers. 

It’s the type of signing that enables us to get more out of the players we already have. 

You can get so much out of YouTube clips if you watch the player and not just the goals. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Do you know something we don’t?

I made my feelings clear on why I didn’t renew my season ticket. But I must say, this is the sort of exciting signing that would get me interested again.

Has some Kodjia feels about it. 

The review in the evening post by Tom Middler is hardly inspiring. Hopefully not another Dire dud. A fair bit of a fee too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

11 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

We've never seen him in a 2 here though, he's mostly been asked to play wide, hasn't he, which obviously isn't his game. 

• Like 2

On 26/06/2024 at 17:22, slartibartfast said:

We're not all cunning linguists ! WTF does it say ?

Love this.....

On 26/06/2024 at 17:23, Kid in the Riot said:

hmmm

I believe that that is her line....😂

11 hours ago, Ian M said:

Very pleased that the club appear to have pivoted from bidding £2.5m for players clubs value at £4m-5m before walking away.
I much prefer this new M.O. of signing a player for £2.5m whose club value him at £4m-5m and not needing to walk away. 

Perhaps the negotiating skills of the recruitment team are greater than some have suggested? 

• Hmmm 1

17 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Perhaps the negotiating skills of the recruitment team are greater than some have suggested? 

I was once told you don’t have to be a brilliant salesman to earn a living , just a hardworking one. If you say ‘ I don’t suppose you want to buy my wares ? ‘ to enough people , someone will say ‘ as a matter of fact, yeah ‘ . 

20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I was once told you don’t have to be a brilliant salesman to earn a living , just a hardworking one. If you say ‘ I don’t suppose you want to buy my wares ? ‘ to enough people , someone will say ‘ as a matter of fact, yeah ‘ . 

Always

Be

Closing

"Sell the sizzle, not the sausage"

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Were you talking to Nigel Farage? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

The review in the evening post by Tom Middler is hardly inspiring. Hopefully not another Dire dud. A fair bit of a fee too. 

In fairness from the stuff I’ve watched of Mayulu in the past 24 hours versus the stuff I watched of Mebude (at Westerlo not the Man City stuff), there is no comparison.  This is a player with some ability.  I do think he’ll have to develop his back-to-goal play, you can’t always lay it off first time, sometimes you’re gonna have to hold onto it against a hairy-arsed championship CB whilst you wait for runners / movement.  As well as his physicality, but he’s 22 next month, and being 6’4”, he will still be growing that side of his game / physique.  I was watching another striker a couple of days ago who I thought might be a target (before Mayulu’s name came up) and he had that ability to back into his CB or come short, and was very precise / clean with his link-up.

I think the fee looks reasonable.  Total £2.5m is better that the initial €3.5m where I expected add-one on top.  Someone I know said he’s not a £3m striker…yet, so if we’ve got him for something like £1.5m + add-ons, that’s sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Also Austrian Bundesliga is slightly different to Championship.  Unsurprisingly, the helterskelter of heavy pressing has influenced that the game is played quicker, less possession phases.  An average Bundesliga side would be considered fast and direct in the Champ.  An average Bundesliga side would be the top-3 pressing teams in the Champ.

So he ought to be able to handle the speed, but the physicality is a different beast and that might need time.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In fairness from the stuff I’ve watched of Mayulu in the past 24 hours versus the stuff I watched of Mebude (at Westerlo not the Man City stuff), there is no comparison.  This is a player with some ability.  I do think he’ll have to develop his back-to-goal play, you can’t always lay it off first time, sometimes you’re gonna have to hold onto it against a hairy-arsed championship CB whilst you wait for runners / movement.  As well as his physicality, but he’s 22 next month, and being 6’4”, he will still be growing that side of his game / physique.  I was watching another striker a couple of days ago who I thought might be a target (before Mayulu’s name came up) and he had that ability to back into his CB or come short, and was very precise / clean with his link-up.

I think the fee looks reasonable.  Total £2.5m is better that the initial €3.5m where I expected add-one on top.  Someone I know said he’s not a £3m striker…yet, so if we’ve got him for something like £1.5m + add-ons, that’s sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Also Austrian Bundesliga is slightly different to Championship.  Unsurprisingly, the helterskelter of heavy pressing has influenced that the game is played quicker, less possession phases.  An average Bundesliga side would be considered fast and direct in the Champ.  An average Bundesliga side would be the top-3 pressing teams in the Champ.

So he ought to be able to handle the speed, but the physicality is a different beast and that might need time.

Looking at the stuff you posted as well as the YouTube videos, he looks "solid" as well as tall which gives me hope that he can hold his own.

But he looks "lithe" with it, I wouldn't mind betting he's played a bit of street basketball, he looks like he has good control and coordination like the tall men in that game.

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

sometimes you’re gonna have to hold onto it against a hairy-arsed championship CB

Surely Dave, everybody knows that most modern young men in sport are heavily into 'male grooming', so there probably won't be many of the individuals you describe currently involved in sporting activity. You only have to witness the amount of adverts claiming 'the best a man can get'.

Other than that, I think you make some excellent points.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

being 6’4”, he will still be growing that side of his game / physique.

All this slightly reminds me of when 23 year old 6'3" Bas Savage arrived from Reading/Bury, full of hope and promise... let's see.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Mallorcan Red said:

All this slightly reminds me of when 23 year old 6'3" Bas Savage arrived from Reading/Bury, full of hope and promise... let's see.

At risk of a complete whoosh moment…….. this has got to be one of the most mental posts I have seen on here 😂😂 ridiculous. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mallorcan Red said:

That Yeovil game will live long in the memory. Never have I heard a whole stadium laugh like that.

• Haha 6

I know absolutely nothing about the standard of the Austrian Bundesliga but just looked at the past 10 years or so of transfers in the division and million plus deals are generally always either between the largest clubs in the league or overseas into the top flight in France, Germany or Italy. The most recent comparable deal was Nicolas Kuhn in January from Rapid Vienna to Celtic for £3m.

Transfers from the Austrian Bundesliga to England in the last 10 years seem to be massively feast or famine, hit or miss:

• Max Wober - Premier League - Leeds - international, played last season on loan in German top flight
  • Brenden Aaronson - Premier League - Leeds - international, played last season on loan in German top flight
  • Patson Daka - Premier League - Leicester - international, 7 goals in the Championship last season
  • Dominik Frieser - Championship - Barnsley - high energy 42 games as Barnsley finished 5th in the play offs
  • Christoph Knasmüllner - Championship - Barnsley - played just 3 games and released after 5 months (#1/2)
  • Olarenwaju Kayode - Premier League- Man City - never played, loaned out multiple times, largely unsuccessful
  • Sadio Mane - Premier League - Southampton - enough said
  • Guido Burgstaller - Championship - Cardiff - played just 3 games and released after 5 months (#2/2)
  • Atdhe Nuhiu - Championship - Sheff Wed - seven years, 250 games, 50 goals and became international
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Jose said:

That Yeovil game will live long in the memory. Never have I heard a whole stadium laugh like that.

I never seen my late grandad laugh so much. And the last game we went together was against Rovers. What two great goals they were.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Olé said:

• Guido Burgstaller - Championship - Cardiff - played just 3 games and released after 5 months (#2/2)

I presume this must be the same player who was considered the main man at Rapid according to the article on Bristol Live?

Someone who was ditched by Cardiff keeping him out of the side? That doesn't fill me with confidence.

5 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I presume this must be the same player who was considered the main man at Rapid according to the article on Bristol Live?

Someone who was ditched by Cardiff keeping him out of the side? That doesn't fill me with confidence.

Mayulu was about 12 at the time so I wouldn't worry too much

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Burgstaller had a decent spell in Germany with Schalke, Nurnburg and St Pauli. 

Averaging 1 in 3 goal record.

I wouldn’t let a 3 game spell for Cardiff define your judgement. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Main man - probably in terms of profile, ex-Austrian international, 35 years of age, been round the block a bit, etc.  

11 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Yep because Cardiff are a brilliant benchmark, aren’t they?

Bought Andreas Cornelius for £8m, sold him for £500k five months later.

Went in to play in Serie A for Atalanta & Parma, plus Bordeaux & Trabzonspor.

The season Nige released 12 players their retained list contained players released that cost them over £40m.

People obsess when we get a single signing wrong but they are a basket case of a club.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep because Cardiff are a brilliant benchmark, aren’t they?

Bought Andreas Cornelius for £8m, sold him for £500k five months later.

Went in to play in Serie A for Atalanta & Parma, plus Bordeaux & Trabzonspor.

The season Nige released 12 players their retained list contained players released that cost them over £40m.

People obsess when we get a single signing wrong but they are a basket case of a club.

A club who have been to the Premier League twice, what does that make us? 

• Like 2

Anyway, back on topic, this lad sounds like he's raw, has pace and can carry the ball, but needs work on hold up. But he's got some height, which we don't have at the moment. Fair summary?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

Anyway, back on topic, this lad sounds like he's raw, has pace and can carry the ball, but needs work on hold up. But he's got some height, which we don't have at the moment. Fair summary?

I seem to remember that a certain Jonathan Kodjia was a little raw when he arrived at Ashton gate. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

A club who have been to the Premier League twice, what does that make us? 

Poorly run.

Doesn’t make Cardiff a Brentford though, does it?

• Hmmm 1

15 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

We have a superb player in the club to coach him with that. Nahki Wells.

Edited by WECANDO
  • Like 6