IGNORED

Flag Day 2024

phantom

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Too many Florence Nightingales, not enough Robin Hoods.

Too many halos, not enough heroes coming up with the goods.

What a tune “Try shaking a box in front of the queen ‘cus her purse is fat and bulging at the seams”

• Like 3

• Admin
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One thing.

If Bristol City v Coventry moved, we don't know yet due to the nature of the new TV deal. Maybe an earlier kick-off, or a different day altogether?

Address that, if and when it becomes an issue

This date and game was already chosen following discussions with local police, as it makes obvious sense not to do it on the first home game

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BCFC1512 said:

How come bottled the millwall game? Thought tradition was first home of the season :(  

I’d imagine some of the lads will be busy before the Millwall game! 

15 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

First flag days were on the last home games of the season. 

Indeed and the better for it IMHO!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

First flag days were on the last home games of the season. 

Bit embarrassing though if there's a very low attendance that day. 

• Admin
3 hours ago, BCFC1512 said:

How come bottled the millwall game? Thought tradition was first home of the season :(  

Hardly "bottled", clearly the event takes policing and resources would not need to be stretched when hosting Millwall

Additionally having large numbers of City supporters in one place probably not the wisest

I'd suggest next time you are in the Lions you speak to Sean about this if you really can't see the logic

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

• Admin
18 minutes ago, 22A said:

Embarrassing for who?

The original Flag days were a few hundred at most and were certainly never classed as embarrassing

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, 22A said:

The attendances when flag days started (07/08?) attendances at Ashton Gate were far lower than attendances now. Flag also started as an East End/Eastend  event, and were attended by originally by a 100+. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BCFC1512 said:

18 hours ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

Why does it make sense?

I'm struggling to comprehend how anyone is struggling to comprehend why this wouldn't be held when Millwall are in town!  🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Hardly "bottled", clearly the event takes policing and resources would not need to be stretched when hosting Millwall

Additionally having large numbers of City supporters in one place probably not the wisest

I'd suggest next time you are in the Lions you speak to Sean about this if you really can't see the logic

The last thing Sean wants to do is aggravate the Police. It’s his business and livelihood that’s more important than the event itself.

The council wouldn’t think twice about stepping in and giving him grief.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Betty Swallocks said:

The best flag days were when the numbers were far lower than they are these days. 

Definitely better when no bottles, cans, flares were thrown over the crowd……especially now that more families  attend.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I'm struggling to comprehend how anyone is struggling to comprehend why this wouldn't be held when Millwall are in town!  🤷‍♂️

Perhaps because originally the nature of flag day and those (not the pub)  who started it had a devil may care attitude to officialdom.  

Imagine proposing such an event to the Police from scratch. The event did not start in that manner. Some top lads with a can do mentality just went ahead and did it.

43 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The attendances when flag days started (07/08?) attendances at Ashton Gate were far lower than attendances now. Flag also started as an East End/Eastend  event, and were attended by originally by a 100+. 

Flag day started around a decade before 07/08 and it definitely wasn’t an Eastend event when it originally started.

Edited by Betty Swallocks

6 hours ago, BCFC1512 said:

You would ‘bottle’ it too if it jeopardised your business. If the Police request the event not to take place on that day, Sean’s hands are as good as tied…….unless he wants grief from the council and Police.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Flag day started around a decade before 07/08 and it definitely wasn’t an Eastend event when it originally started.

The first flag day was on the last home game of the season of the season possibly the 2007/08 season. This was organised by CH/NS/Flaxy/Scooter RIP and was to support the reopening of the Eastend, and was also used to raise money for flags for the stand, this then continued and featured flags from the stand each season, raising money for Eastend flags, South Bristol kids football clubs, and ahem legal expenses for fan court cases. 

Prior to this there was a picture taken outside the pub with the Pride of the Bristol flag organised by Scooter RIP, 

1 hour ago, Topper 123 said:

This was not the first flag day 

1 hour ago, RedLionLad said:

I don't remember saying it was.

@Cowshed informed us that the annual Flag Day was held at the end of the season. I was supplying evidence.

In actual fact, the first Flag Day that I could find listed was 1996 albeit that was Bristol Live.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

So is that 1996 date incorrect then? It must be

It could be right, and I am then very wrong, but I didn't think SD (top bloke) was Landlord in 96, and it was Sean who changed the pubs name when he bought it. So, if SD was Landlord in 96? 

The first flag day was against Rotherham 2007 and what occurs now leads directly back to those mentioned earlier and the Yellow Submarine/Ziderheads/WTMS sites.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cowshed said:

It could be right, and I am then very wrong, but I didn't think SD (top bloke) was Landlord in 96, and it was Sean who changed the pubs name when he bought it. So, if SD was Landlord in 96? 

The first flag day was against Rotherham 2007 and what occurs now leads directly back to those mentioned earlier and the Yellow Submarine/Ziderheads/WTMS sites.  

Sean went in there back in 1996, and the first Flag Day was held probably 2000.

Confirmed by SD himself

Edited by RedLionLad

41 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Sean went in there back in 1996, and the first Flag Day was held probably 2000.

Confirmed by SD himself

11 of Bristol's biggest celebrities before they were famous - Bristol Live

Few faces there no longer with us RIP. 2001 but it wasnt the flag day they didnt start till years later. 

Edited by Three Lions
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Three Lions said:

11 of Bristol's biggest celebrities before they were famous - Bristol Live

Few faces there no longer with us RIP. 2001 but it wasnt the flag day they didnt start till years later. 

Famous TV Star in this picture

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

It won't go ahead.

11:30 and everyone would be heading to the ground.

twas already buggered moving it from the first home which would have changed things but theres a cheeky alternative the Dutch chaps at home!!  

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

On 30/06/2024 at 13:09, Big C said:

Famous TV Star in this picture

On 30/06/2024 at 13:41, phantom said:

Doubt she'll come back now 

I an intrigued.

The only female I can see in the picture is the young girl sitting down right in the front of the photo.

If she is the person to whom you are both referring, who is she and why wouldn’t she come back now?

7 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I an intrigued.

The only female I can see in the picture is the young girl sitting down right in the front of the photo.

If she is the person to whom you are both referring, who is she and why wouldn’t she come back now?

The young girl sat at the front is Maisie Williams, most famous for being on of the major characters in Game Of Thrones.

Whilst her dad did indeed take her to AG I think she has said in interviews she isn't a football fan and didn't massively enjoy going.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Couldn't make it today 

good day?

Considering the weather (drizzle/rain for the most part) and the early start it was pretty well attended I thought. 

I hadn’t been for a few years but did think it was a bit ‘Flag day by the numbers’. For me it was far better when it was the last home game of the season, it felt then like a celebration, or indeed commiseration! 

The police were good TBF, just a few who stayed well back, although Sean and the Three Lions lads did a lot of self policing of it anyway, tidying up etc., so there wasn’t (at least when I was there) any need for intervention. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Wanderingred said:

Interesting reactions here to the flag day on Facebook. Who knew that you had to be a far right meathead in order to support the city….

IMG_2619.png

Its been going on for years. lefties thinking people with st george and ensign flags and a pub being patriotic have to be the fascists. 

brilliant pub brilliant people and flag day is often that as well. hopefully next season is back at 3pm.  

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 28/06/2024 at 13:01, Cowshed said:

The first flag day was on the last home game of the season of the season possibly the 2007/08 season. This was organised by CH/NS/Flaxy/Scooter RIP and was to support the reopening of the Eastend, and was also used to raise money for flags for the stand, this then continued and featured flags from the stand each season, raising money for Eastend flags, South Bristol kids football clubs, and ahem legal expenses for fan court cases. 

Prior to this there was a picture taken outside the pub with the Pride of the Bristol flag organised by Scooter RIP, 

It started in the early noughties. If you go in the lions and look at the pictures on the wall of the old flag days you will see. Might of even been before that. Little Sean is older than me and he is defo about 10/11 in some photos

On 26/08/2024 at 11:08, CyderHead92 said:

It started in the early noughties. If you go in the lions and look at the pictures on the wall of the old flag days you will see. Might of even been before that. Little Sean is older than me and he is defo about 10/11 in some photos

First flag day was on end of season promotion day v Rotherham 2007. Group behind open the east end and yellow sub crew and lions regulars decorated the front of the pub on the last home game the season with flags in sort of organised manner inviting mates. 100 ?? turned up maybe for the first and it was done again by the same group who turned it into a sort of organised annual event which then became known as flag day. what goes on now goes  back to the Rotherham game 2007 with one of the original still involved.  

Edited by Mendip Broadwalk
  • Like 1