IGNORED

Yu Hirakawa - OFFICIALLY SIGNED

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Have they gone early with the announcement time to farm engagements from Tokyo at a prime time?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Seems a very unusual time to announce a signing otherwise.

We've also bothered to rewrite all the captions on his announcement posts in Japanese. 

Edited by Supersonic Robin

32 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

What’s Japanese for ‘the camera is over here mate. ‘ ? 

To be fair he is trying to adjust to his new surroundings so is trying to avoid looking at things from his homeland. 

25 minutes ago, samo II said:

5’8” Japanese forward with no international experience at any level and who has never played outside the J league (and only has 11 goals in his career) - an interesting move.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-sign-hirakawa/

I’d go back to bed for a bit and start the day again if I were you Samo ! Totally unknown quantity , yes, but let’s have a bit of optimism . 

14 minutes ago, One Team said:

I thought similar mate! 

“Yu Hirakawa’s on the wing,

The greatest thing that we have seen,

Oh baby! Oh baby!”

Slight adjustment so it slips off the tongue a bit better…….

Hir-a-kawas on the wing

the greatest thing we’ve ever seen

oh baby, oh baby

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Much as I think that away shirt is miles better, we don’t half chat some bollocks…

IMG_3388.jpeg

Sounds like a soundbite from "Mr. Logic" from Viz - talking bollocks is where he's at 

• The title was changed to Yu Hirakawa - OFFICIALLY SIGNED
45 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Tweets getting loads more engagement than usual. Hope the club cash in on a lot of new ‘fans’ from Asia 

@petehinton that’s the guy I suggested that you contact.

27 minutes ago, One Team said:

I thought similar mate! 

Oh baby! Oh baby!”

That’s the second verse.  Nice!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

In something of a first, nobody has updated his Wikipedia page yet.

Aye. Done dirty there was I.

15 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

If you’re going to be a pessimist, at least be one who gets their facts right!

I mean, fair play, and hope he’s successful. But this isn’t like Celtic signing Maeda so I’m still skeptical of how much this moves the needle.

45 minutes ago, One Team said:

I thought similar mate! 

Oh baby! Oh baby!”

Nah, all about the blended raccoons, innit.

Admittedly, I have no idea if the singer is Japanese or not, but it is impossible to listen to this just once.

Adn

42 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Why didn't you just start the thread with F ** k  Yu

I’m not that smart.

34 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I’d go back to bed for a bit and start the day again if I were you Samo ! Totally unknown quantity , yes, but let’s have a bit of optimism . 

I genuinely hope he is the Japanese Messi and this thread comes back to haunt me like the ghost from the Ring.

But if you’d said end of the season “what do you think we need to improve the squad” this isn’t the type of signing I’d have suggested.

However, I’m not paid to scout football players, so delighted to be super wrong.

• Like 1

It's a brilliant coincidence that the away shirt that our Japanese signing is modelling happens to be a Japanese flag. Should sell a few in  Japan.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Admittedly, I have no idea if the singer is Japanese or not, but it is impossible to listen to this just once.

Adn

He’s signed up to play in the fans village first game of season…..

• Haha 1

I , like most of us , know nothing really , but.

Looking around social media and Press there seems to have been a fair few teams scouting him, or looking at least. Seems highly thought of and though far from concrete proof , we may have a little gem on our hands. At least I will think that until I see otherwise. 
Almost certainly will take time to settle , new Country , new team and completely new culture . We do seem to have the players to allow him time to bed in before throwing him in. Makes the friendly games more interesting anyway.

Few stats I found, make of them what you will.

Screenshot2024-07-09at09_49_51.png.abf9d04b3d96d437f81aefe977627b33.png

Screenshot2024-07-09at09_50_55.png.7b0f64d7ea7412a4b6e07da8f901862c.png

Screenshot2024-07-09at09_51_15.png.c5c07531ded702092032e08bba96d395.png

Screenshot2024-07-09at09_51_37.png.3bd86c7e31272cd041edf80f41c6cc1f.png

Screenshot2024-07-09at09_52_21.png.2d539fa33779416304b0cd7b2e8ed3a6.png

Screenshot2024-07-09at09_52_54.png.7cb21517781874181e7d2a517474facc.png

5 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

how much do we have to pay if he becomes permanent anyone know 

Do we knowing if it's definitely Loan with an option ?
Saw a report yesterday saying it was in fact a permanent deal. 

16 minutes ago, samo II said:

I’m not that smart.

I genuinely hope he is the Japanese Messi and this thread comes back to haunt me like the ghost from the Ring.

But if you’d said end of the season “what do you think we need to improve the squad” this isn’t the type of signing I’d have suggested.

However, I’m not paid to scout football players, so delighted to be super wrong.

Why is Messi the benchmark? Why is it a problem that he doesn't have much international experience? Bristol City don't typically sign experienced internationals. How about we enjoy signing a player we don't know much about, and hope that he's an improvement on what we already have.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Do we knowing if it's definitely Loan with an option ?
Saw a report yesterday saying it was in fact a permanent deal. 

Club announced as LOAN.

The interesting thing is the use of wording WITH A VIEW TO A PERMANENT - which to me says that they haven’t agreed an OPTION TO BUY, or else they’d have said so, like they did with TGH.

I’m not criticising, but this feels weird with his contract ending on 31st Jan 2025.  Hopefully we will get some further info over time.

• Thanks 1

I have absolutely no idea what he is like as a player , but wish him every success . It will be a notable cultural change so I hope he settles well and look forward to discovering more about him after his olympics tournament. 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Club announced as LOAN.

The interesting thing is the use of wording WITH A VIEW TO A PERMANENT - which to me says that they haven’t agreed an OPTION TO BUY, or else they’d have said so, like they did with TGH.

I’m not criticising, but this feels weird with his contract ending on 31st Jan 2025.  Hopefully we will get some further info over time.

Loan with an obligation to buy if a certain someone's word is accurate... 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Club announced as LOAN.

They also said it's for the duration of the season, which again is odd if he is ooc in Jan.

I assume he just signs a perm contract with us in Jan? Either way it seems he's here for the season at least.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Club announced as LOAN.

Could this be due to his contract expiration?  I guess we would be signing him rather than buying him in that sense....

47 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Adn

Isn't he the one singing in the back of Peter Kay's car on car share ?

5 minutes ago, Gazred said:

They also said it's for the duration of the season, which again is odd if he is ooc in Jan.

I assume he just signs a perm contract with us in Jan? Either way it seems he's here for the season at least.

This is the part I'm confused by. How can he be on loan for a year from a club who have him contracted for 6 months?!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Isn't it possible that the loan agreement covers the fact that if he re-signs a full co tract with Machida (or signs for any other club*), our loan persists until June 2025.

Or more likely this initial loan technically ends but then a new one automatically begins on the same terms.

I'm not 100% sure of what FIFAs view on that would be, but contractually it should be ok.

*Although there would be questions around privity of contract and third party rights.

Edited by ExiledAjax

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Club announced as LOAN.

With so little time left on his current deal ( and probably reading too much into it ) , could the view to Permanent mean paid loan ,then we could just pay compensation as he's 23 ? 

7 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Loan with an obligation to buy if a certain someone's word is accurate... 

May as well have done the deal now surely , unless we are waiting until he's OOC.

57 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Adn

Pretty sure he’s Mexican.

1 hour ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Makes sense, I was just thinking the at the 7 shirts was “his” number and they might have tried to save it for him. Maybe a little of over thinking on my part. In fact, I know it is. Ignore me. I just really want this to happen has IMO he is the key to all of this. 

The number 7 is considered a speicial number in Japan, its a symbol of luck and good fortune.

22 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

His most difficult task won’t be on the pitch, it’ll be learning English and then attempting to understand what Naismith and Murray are saying.

The year is 2030 and Yu Hirakawa is now fluent in English. Despite this, he still hasn't got a ******* clue what Naismith or Murray are saying! 

• Haha 8

Good luck to the lad...looks an exciting signing.

Big and brave move for a young kid to leave behind his friends and family in Japan and move across the world.

Hope this works out for him and that everyone makes him really welcome.

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Good luck to the lad...looks an exciting signing.

Big and brave move for a young kid to leave behind his friends and family in Japan and move across the world.

Hope this works out for him and that everyone makes him really welcome.

Well, for those amongst us who enjoy a little bit of cultural appropriation, we could always just bow when he scores?

On a serious note, I do think he'll do well here - going by the highlights. He also comes across as a very ambitious and determined lad.

1 minute ago, Wade Wilson said:

i knew it matthew perry GIF

knowing JL's creative limitations, i am expecting every japanese trope under the (rising) sun - we've already had the slashing samurai swords on the twitter.

They've tried a half hearted anime graphic on there too.

Maybe a game of creative cliche bingo is in order?

(but i do like Blue Lock)

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Antman said:

knowing JL's creative limitations, i am expecting every japanese trope under the (rising) sun - we've already had the slashing samurai swords on the twitter.

They've tried a half hearted anime graphic on there too.

Maybe a game of creative cliche bingo is in order?

(but i do like Blue Lock)

I'm pretty sure this is how JL greeted him... 

bernd lucke thank you GIF by Heute-Show

Edited by PortInTheMorning
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JackMarch said:

Yu to me are everything, my Hirakawa on the wing, oh baby!! 

👍 That works. Get s82 on the bat phone so they can dial it in for the start of the season

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PortInTheMorning said:

On a serious note, I do think he'll do well here - going by the highlights. He also comes across as a very ambitious and determined lad.

I’m sure he is.

However he’s changing continents, coming to a country where he doesn’t speak a word of the language & will miss a couple of weeks of valuable pre season time because of the Olympics.

I think he’s going to need a significant amount of time to settle in & despite the mentally challenged calling him a “superstar” already, this lad isn’t a full international yet.

To me he looks from the clips to be a very similar player to Mark Sykes, which is fine by me, but he’s a hard working team player, not some individual game changer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Yeah probably just the 5 cans of Natch after training 

They drink Strong Zero in Japan. Pretty sure that knocks Natch into a cocked hat. He wouldn't even realise he was drinking alcohol!

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’m sure he is.

However he’s changing continents, coming to a country where he doesn’t speak a word of the language & will miss a couple of weeks of valuable pre season time because of the Olympics.

I think he’s going to need a significant amount of time to settle in & despite the mentally challenged calling him a “superstar” already, this lad isn’t a full international yet.

To me he looks from the clips to be a very similar player to Mark Sykes, which is fine by me, but he’s a hard working team player, not some individual game changer.

Where did you get this from? not seen it mentioned although may be correct, his interview was in Japanese but maybe the English he has learnt he did not feel is good enough to want to speak in a interview