IGNORED

Yu Hirakawa - OFFICIALLY SIGNED

• Admin
16 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Cheers for doing the leg work. I agree the assumption seems to be that when a loan ends it is either a) extended, b) made permanent or c) ended and the player returns to the home club.

There is no indication of a d) player becomes free agent.

I agree with @Silvio Dante in his subsequent post. 

I think this is likely a formal deal until end of Yu's Machida contract, with a bunch of understandings and gentleman's agreements in place to cover the second half of the season. Those might be written down, they might not.

Whatever it is, it's far from a "normal" UK/Europe based arrangement. 

Can he not sign a pre-contract with us in the final 6 months of his Machida Zelvia contract? That might be the obligation part?

Left wing, right wing, we sing, we're winning 

This game, we'll win, with you, no wonder your great

Every run you make is like a perfect motion 

Everybody knows we're going to get promotion 

Everyone

That's why we're turning Japanese, I think we're turning Japanese

I really think so

Turning Japanese, I think we're turning Japanese

I really think so

I really think so

I really think so

• Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Can he not sign a pre-contract with us in the final 6 months of his Machida Zelvia contract? That might be the obligation part?

Have the club used that word? In the announcement they say "with a view". I thought "obligation" had just come from Tinnion's bitch on twitter?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

That probably plays to my logic.

It can’t be a loan with an option/obligation to buy as the contract is up at the end of the loan period - there is nothing to sell at that point.

However, as in the above example the loan expiry is at the end of the contract expiry - meaning that Yus prior club have as a minimum likely to hold an option on extending his “parent” contract for six months to keep our loan valid.

What that also says - as it’s a loan contract with by logic no option - that I would surmise that we have no “hold” over Yu at the end of his loan, other than a “gentleman’s agreement”

So, my reading is:

- Loan deal with fee paid to prior club

- Prior club either hold option or have extended deal to end of our season

- As Yu has no formal “contract” with his club at the end of the loan, no obligation/ ability to enforce purchase

And then that plays to Piercys indication that we’ll look to make permanent after five months, as at that point there is another club to interact with (at least on paper) as opposed to Yu being a free agent.

Therefore, I think this gets made permanent in January or there is a fair chance of it not happening at all. Because either he’ll have done well and be a free agent with other suitors, or he’ll have done poorly/not settled and want to go home as a free agent.(Or obviously done average!)

The key words earlier were “with a view to a permanent”, ie nothing agreed formally at the end of the loan.  That was the missing bit, despite it’s ambiguous nature, from the original breaking news of “loan with option to buy”, however long the loan is.

FIFA docs are a ballache, but they are getting better.

@ExiledAjax

image.thumb.png.81369104505f782b480eb3bb4718b8bf.png

4 minutes ago, Ian M said:

He could, but that opens on 1st Aug…and is not an obligation per se, as inferred by “the blue tick”!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The key words earlier were “with a view to a permanent”, ie nothing agreed formally at the end of the loan.  That was the missing bit, despite it’s ambiguous nature, from the original breaking news of “loan with option to buy”, however long the loan is.

FIFA docs are a ballache, but they are getting better.

@ExiledAjax

image.thumb.png.81369104505f782b480eb3bb4718b8bf.png

He could, but that opens on 1st Aug…and is not an obligation per se, as inferred by “the blue tick”!

Interesting. The wording that runs from the first "no" suggests that it is possible for a loan to persist after the point where the "primary" contract ends.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, redkev said:

Sorry to many posts to go through , but how tall or short is he , looks like a Steve galliers size 

5'8", he's certainly bigger than a steve galliers held at arms length.

45 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

But that would mean he would be playing from February ‘24 to May ‘25! He will need a break at some point surely???

He’ll do his hamstring 15 minutes into his debut, so he can rest then 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Left wing, right wing, we sing, we're winning 

This game, we'll win, with you, no wonder your great

Every run you make is like a perfect motion 

Everybody knows we're going to get promotion 

Everyone

That's why we're turning Japanese, I think we're turning Japanese

I really think so

I really think so

I really think so

I really think so

After a couple of natch's, most of ours struggle to remember 'come on u reds' let alone that lot MR.

Cracking choon tho!

• Thanks 1

Seems to have great character already. Must be so daunting to travel to a new club, sign then straight out to Portugal for training without being fluent in the language. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MythikRobins said:

He has so much energy after 2 flights (one absolutely brutal one) and going most likely right into training. Love him already.

It’s flying from the West that is the killer. 
Also, I doubt he flew economy class from Japan . 

• Like 5

i havent had anything decent to say about tinnion for a while but i am genuinely excited about this signing. well done brian,and ian gay (ouch that hurt)

hopefully it was brians work and not someone else missing out on the credit for finding this guy. looks like he could turn manning ball on its head with his  and the japanese culture to excel in everything they do.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

i havent had anything decent to say about tinnion for a while but i am genuinely excited about this signing. well done brian,and ian gay (ouch that hurt)

hopefully it was brians work and not someone else missing out on the credit for finding this guy. looks like he could turn manning ball on its head with his  and the japanese culture to excel in everything they do.

I don’t think Ian gay had anything to do with the transfer so no need to thank him. However he’s obviously enjoying being BT’s bitch 

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

Work rate will be excellent - if he has that bit of quality to go with it we could be in business 🤞

• Like 1

Would be interesting to know what extra lengths (if any) the club are taking to ensure he settles well at the club and the city. There will be a huge culture shock and it will be the small things that will make a big difference to the lad. The number 7 shirt is a good start but Tinnion et al don't fill me with confidence.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

The identification will’ve come from with Sean Gilhespy’s team, maybe Sean himself.  Brian won’t have been trawling the data and video.  And we can be pretty sure that it was Sean’s trip to Japan (April / May???) that did the live match scouting.  Brian will have been involved in getting the deal done though

7 minutes ago, Crimson Crayola said:

Would be interesting to know what extra lengths (if any) the club are taking to ensure he settles well at the club and the city. There will be a huge culture shock and it will be the small things that will make a big difference to the lad. The number 7 shirt is a good start but Tinnion et al don't fill me with confidence.

Over to you Matt Parsons.

His name is really gonna lend itself towards chants...

If its good enough for Yu it's good enough for me

That winger from Japan who plays for City 

If it's good enough for Yu it's good enough for me 

Down at Ashton Gate that's where I wanna be

35 minutes ago, cheddarwedlocker said:

Yu Hirakawa

Yu Hirakawa 

He drinks Asahi he loves Karate

The kids fkn magic

He drinks the sake drink

He drinks the cider drink

15 hours ago, !james said:

He must be well jetlagged! 

The players all seem to be making an extra effort to make him feel welcome which is nice to see, and he seems to be fitting right in. Also answers my question as to whether he was just tanned or dark skinned for a Japanese. Proper workman's tan that 

15 hours ago, !james said:

He must be well jetlagged! 

Heart warming vid. Fair play to him for making the jump to European football, without speaking English. 

Of all the signings we've made over the years, I really hope this one works out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

Very excited by this signing. Can’t wait to see him in action.

At least while he’s on loan, I’m going to suggest we Rickroll the whole football world with our own rendition of “Never going to give Yu up”.

Never gonna give Yu up 
Never gonna let Yu down 
Always gonna sing our songs and support Yu
Never gonna make Yu cry 
Never gonna say goodbye
We’re City till we die and we love Yu

You just can't use Rick Astley lyrics like that.

Come on .... You know the rules and so do I

Edited by Slack Bladder
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The identification will’ve come from with Sean Gilhespy’s team, maybe Sean himself.  Brian won’t have been trawling the data and video.  And we can be pretty sure that it was Sean’s trip to Japan (April / May???) that did the live match scouting.  Brian will have been involved in getting the deal done though

Over to you Matt Parsons.

you've made my day Dave,thankyou.  normal service will be resumed as soon as possible👍👍😉😂:laugh:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

His last interview in Japan, hopefully with reasonably translated English subtitles but you have to play with the settings to get them

I really didn't appreciate what a big deal this transfer means to him, his old club, and the region. He is very much liked there.

Hope he can push on here and take the step up in his stride, it may well take a while to get used to the Championship..

6 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

Genuine question folks, as I haven't trawled through all the pages associated with this signing, but what makes so many people excited about the signing of someone who has been involved in 16 matches (?) at a level way lower than the Championship ?

Hope he absolutely smashes it, i'm just curious so be gentle please.

40 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Genuine question folks, as I haven't trawled through all the pages associated with this signing, but what makes so many people excited about the signing of someone who has been involved in 16 matches (?) at a level way lower than the Championship ?

61 matches.

It’s the unknown isn’t it? First ever Japanese signing in a time where recent Japanese signings have come in and looked good (Brighton, Coventry, Birmingham, Celtic).

A bit of optimism on from what YouTube and scouting suggests is a technical player with a hard working attitude and likes to dribble I.e an exciting player.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grifty said:

61 matches.

It’s the unknown isn’t it? First ever Japanese signing in a time where recent Japanese signings have come in and looked good (Brighton, Coventry, Birmingham, Celtic).

A bit of optimism on from what YouTube and scouting suggests is a technical player with a hard working attitude and likes to dribble I.e an exciting player.

You forgot Luton 😂 

4 hours ago, Pip King said:

His name is really gonna lend itself towards chants...

If its good enough for Yu it's good enough for me

That winger from Japan who plays for City 

If it's good enough for Yu it's good enough for me 

Down at Ashton Gate that's where I wanna be

A bit dodgy to sing that 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, grifty said:

61 matches.

Thought 50 plus of those were in J2 as his club got promoted to the top flight for this season ?

I suspect the other signings you allude to were established internationals from J1.

No problem with the club looking abroad, and if Yu does the business i'll be delighted but i'm just a bit puzzled at the excitement that's all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

Me too, puzzled by all the excitement surrounding a player that no one on here has ever seen play. Weird.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Thought 50 plus of those were in J2 as his club got promoted to the top flight for this season ?

I suspect the other signings you allude to were established internationals from J1.

No problem with the club looking abroad, and if Yu does the business i'll be delighted but i'm just a bit puzzled at the excitement that's all.

They were at J2 but you said 16 matches at a level lower than Championship, so all his appearances would count as that, unless the J2 is a higher standard.

The others had played more games in J1 but were also 2-3 years older when moving to Europe. In 2-3 years time he would have played a similar amount and potentially be more expensive and then the complaint would be why aren’t we finding these players earlier.

The club can’t really win - buy expensive first team players on high wages = wasting money or try to find gems = unexciting cheap options.

I listed the reason why it looks people are excited so not sure how you can still be puzzled?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Natchfever said:

A comparison of Championship and J1-League clubs.  Of course you can take it with a pinch of salt, but the top half of the J-League is pretty comparable with Champ.

IMG_1072.thumb.jpeg.9842a3e0fb75b47a75d9675ef3b9baae.jpeg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A comparison of Championship and J1-League clubs.  Of course you can take it with a pinch of salt, but the top half of the J-League is pretty comparable with Champ.

IMG_1072.thumb.jpeg.9842a3e0fb75b47a75d9675ef3b9baae.jpeg

When you break it down into which are the strongest leagues world wide, this indicates (rightly or wrongly) that the Championship are 24th and the J1 League is 60th (League 1 is 64th).

https://www.teamform.com/en/league-ranking/world

Not a lot bewteen them, just a lot of leagues of similar stature.

Edited by bcfc01
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

"As stated in the release, I will be moving to Bristol City FC on a temporary basis." - Hirakawa

Even his old club mentioned it was a loan, nothing about option to buy. I really want this guy to breakout for us, but I have a feeling that he won't and go back to Japan. (Even though I would love to be proved wrong come mid season!)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Isn’t it partly because we haven’t seen him play? And because it’s a new signing. And it’s a month til the season starts. And because it’s part of looking forward to what the new season brings? 

And because getting excited about all that is more fun that just being bloody miserable and negative about everything? 

No excitement allowed or you are weird apparently!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MythikRobins said:

He has so much energy after 2 flights (one absolutely brutal one) and going most likely right into training. Love him already.

Absolutely brutal? Hahaha, you ever flew business/first class?

It's certainly nowhere near brutal in fact it's quite a relaxing feel good way to travel

He probs flew ANA who are a superb airline

He wasn't on easyJet/ryanair!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Me too, puzzled by all the excitement surrounding a player that no one on here has ever seen play. Weird.

I'm puzzled as well, because the more normal reaction to a new signing is to decide the player, that no one on here has seen play, is rubbish! 

• Haha 5

55 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

That sounds like a you (not Yu) problem. Nothing weird about being excited what any new signing can do. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, grifty said:

They were at J2 but you said 16 matches at a level lower than Championship, so all his appearances would count as that, unless the J2 is a higher standard.

The others had played more games in J1 but were also 2-3 years older when moving to Europe. In 2-3 years time he would have played a similar amount and potentially be more expensive and then the complaint would be why aren’t we finding these players earlier.

The club can’t really win - buy expensive first team players on high wages = wasting money or try to find gems = unexciting cheap options.

I listed the reason why it looks people are excited so not sure how you can still be puzzled?

I meant that J1 is at a level way lower than the Championship, I wouldn't even count J2 games tbh, which i'm guessing is League 2 standard.

You are not comparing apples with apples in term of Japanese players if you refer to older, more experienced (and proven) internationals. Coming from the same country means nothing.

The club is clearly going down the cheap option and no problem with that provided the scouting is excellent, the jury being out on that one so far as i'm concerned.

Your "list" didn't convince me, but fair play for being excited and I hope that he won't prove to be another Mebude, who you'll recall came with glowing references from the club

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

City fans always get excited about everything in the close season and just before kick off. 

Probably because they suspect it's the only time they will.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

When you break it down into which are the strongest leagues world wide, this indicates (rightly or wrongly) that the Championship are 24th and the J1 League is 60th (League 1 is 64th).

https://www.teamform.com/en/league-ranking/world

Not a lot bewteen them, just a lot of leagues of similar stature.

….and thanks for the link.  Opta don’t display a league strength only each team in a league.  That’s dead useful.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Superjack said:

City fans always get excited about everything in the close season and just before kick off. 

After many years of watching City, I find if you don't go early you may never go at all. 

• Like 4

• Admin
52 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Makes a change from a new signing being written off before putting on the shirt 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Absolutely brutal? Hahaha, you ever flew business/first class?

It's certainly nowhere near brutal in fact it's quite a relaxing feel good way to travel

He probs flew ANA who are a superb airline

He wasn't on easyJet/ryanair!

Completely agree, whenever I’ve flown business class I’ve never wanted to get off! 😂

• Like 1