IGNORED

Yu Hirakawa - OFFICIALLY SIGNED

• Admin
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

….and thanks for the link.  Opta don’t display a league strength only each team in a league.  That’s dead useful.

I’ve been using that link but I find your Opta comparisons useful too to see how their opponents rank against what they’ll likely face here. Obviously allowing for stylistic differences of course.

I’ve always preferred and been more excited by the lower league/foreign signings over the Scott Hogans of this world. 

Something to prove, tend to be hungry for success……see Mark Sykes as a good example. 

Appreciate there are many examples of each, but always been my preference.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Here's an interesting thread about our new boy. 
Click to go to the thread.

Hopefully something that will be accessible for those of us not on X at some point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Hopefully something that will be accessible for those of us not on X at some point.

Ahh , I thought you could see even if you weren't signed up. Maybe the Space Karen changed it. 
I could copy the text but can't work out out to share the videos separately .

Basically going on about his intelligence , pressing and hard work. Seems Tom is a bit of a fan.

Japanese starlet set to take #EFL by storm  But who is Yu Hirakawa? And what can Bristol City fans expect?
 In this thread I aim to show #BristolCity fans why they should be excited by their latest signing

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Ahh , I thought you could see even if you weren't signed up. Maybe the Space Karen changed it. 
I could copy the text but can't work out out to share the videos separately .

Basically going on about his intelligence , pressing and hard work. Seems Tom is a bit of a fan.

Japanese starlet set to take #EFL by storm  But who is Yu Hirakawa? And what can Bristol City fans expect?
 In this thread I aim to show #BristolCity fans why they should be excited by their latest signing

Tom’s a good account to follow on there - really knows his stuff on the lower leagues. Slightly obsessed with “geography works” but is typically excellent.

For those not familiar with his work he’s a Notts County fan about 20ish. Think of him as a younger, more attractive, Fevs.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Tom’s a good account to follow on there - really knows his stuff on the lower leagues. Slightly obsessed with “geography works” but is typically excellent.

For those not familiar with his work he’s a Notts County fan about 20ish. Think of him as a younger, more attractive, Fevs.

Was that you swooning over him in his vest last week?

Just now, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

If you want to be competing you need to up your moisturiser game.  

I’m not sure moisturiser is gonna help with 30+ year age gap, no coming back from that!

Probably done before and won't be sung anyway, but here's a song for this lad. 

Turning Japanese

I think I'm turning Japanese

I really think so

We love Yu Hirakawa

Turning Japanese

I think I'm turning Japanese

I really think so

We love Yu Hirakawa

Etc

No doubt the young 'uns in S32 will never have heard the song before, and murder the tune just as they did for the Weimann version of Starman. 

• Facepalm 3

I've been watching all the training videos from Portugal and the bits we see he looks very handy. Very two footed, good control, mugged off Dickie in the video just published.

Yeah he's clearly got good ball control and an eye for a pass, and will obviously work his socks off for the team. I feel like I need to see him play a game to know how he'll cope with the physicality of the Championship, but in terms of technical ability he looks good.

Good to see that Mayulu looks totally settled and embedded in the group too.

2 minutes ago, Ashton Yate said:

Details of Japan's fixtures at the Olympics, for those who wish to see him in action for the first time. Assume all games will be available on tv/streaming somehow.

Screenshot_20240712_132503_Chrome.jpg

They'll be available on Discovery+ and potentially Eurosport's popup channels for the Olympics.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grifty said:

I've been watching all the training videos from Portugal and the bits we see he looks very handy. Very two footed, good control, mugged off Dickie in the video just published.

I posted something similar in the "preseason training" thread, I think we should add the caveat that he is half way through his season though, so you would imagine a little more sharpness in his game compared to our lads. 

• Admin
On 13/07/2024 at 16:00, Ashton Yate said:

Do I get a Japan shirt with 'Hirakawa 7' from dhgate? 😂

Screenshot_20240713_155837_DHgate.jpg

Nice flag for next season using the Japanese flag in the design to be on display 

On 10/07/2024 at 05:54, SydneyCity said:

Very excited by this signing. Can’t wait to see him in action.

At least while he’s on loan, I’m going to suggest we Rickroll the whole football world with our own rendition of “Never going to give Yu up”.

Never gonna give Yu up 
Never gonna let Yu down 
Always gonna sing our songs and support Yu
Never gonna make Yu cry 
Never gonna say goodbye
We’re City till we die and we love Yu

That works really well! His name does seem to fit really well with lots of options. I’m sure S82 are on overtime! I was also thinking of Cigarettes & Thatchers Gold: 

Is it my imagination
Or have I finally found something worth living for?
I was looking for promotion
But all I found was cigarettes and Thatchers Gold

You could wait for a lifetime
To spend your days in the top flight 
You might as well do the white line
Cos when it comes on top...

Yu gotta Hirakawa! Yu gotta Hirakawa!
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

• Admin
4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Does this mean his name on the back will include his number? Or just “Yu”?

We've asked for Yu instead of his surname to be used as that is what he's had before 

Obviously he'll still have a number on his shirt too 

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

We've asked for Yu instead of his surname to be used as that is what he's had before 

Sorry I was clearly being dumb, I thought the name bit was “Yu7”.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was struggling with his first name!

I checked that after, just in case 😀.

There was one video pronouncing it like 'oowe' (a long 'O' sound), but all the others were standard. I guess there are a few Asian languages where 'yu' is a name.

4 hours ago, phantom said:

dont they read their christian/surnames back to front? ding junhui is ding on the telly in the snooker. when nagy was here, he said his surname was adam, sort of.

46 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

dont they read their christian/surnames back to front? ding junhui is ding on the telly in the snooker. when nagy was here, he said his surname was adam sort of.

Must be traditional Hungarian , but expect a surname like that is hyphenated, i.e Adam-Sort-Of. 

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

dont they read their christian/surnames back to front? ding junhui is ding on the telly in the snooker. when nagy was here, he said his surname was adam, sort of.

Certainly the family name comes first in China - but I thought different in Japan. Obviously confused further when people adapt and reverse the order for their western audience.

would still be confident that Hirakawa is the family name

58 minutes ago, fairweather said:

Certainly the family name comes first in China - but I thought different in Japan. Obviously confused further when people adapt and reverse the order for their western audience.

would still be confident that Hirakawa is the family name

Japan (and South Korea) both do the family name first, so it’s technically Son Heung-Min, Hirakawa Yu. That’s how they’d pronounce it anyway, he clearly prefers using his first name like “Memphis”, “Dele”, sure there’s a few others. 

Imagine Scotty is happy with the decision 🤣

• Thanks 1

Yes, his name is Hirakawa Yu in Japanese. Or Yu Hirakawa as we would understand it. Pronounced hi-ra-ka-wa.

In that poster, above his surname, it says "youkoso" in red letters, which means "welcome".

14 hours ago, Northern Red said:

What if we've pre paid and pre ordered the shirt expecting Hirakawa on the back not Yu.. surely you should get what you payed for?

8 hours ago, Byrd9999 said:

"Kawa" means "river".

I have no idea about "hira", but I found these possibilities:

比和 Name of a town in Hiroshima
秘話 secret story
悲話 sad story
ヒワ 鶸 name of a bird

bird on the wing sounds about right, ( right winger too )

• Admin
1 hour ago, Farmerinecow said:

What if we've pre paid and pre ordered the shirt expecting Hirakawa on the back not Yu.. surely you should get what you payed for?

Then contact the club shop and advise them you would like a different name on the shirt to what the player will be wearing

6 hours ago, Farmerinecow said:

What Yu see is what Yu get.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Then contact the club shop and advise them you would like a different name on the shirt to what the player will be wearing

My bloody DH Gate order too 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Byrd9999 said:

Yes, his name is Hirakawa Yu in Japanese. Or Yu Hirakawa as we would understand it. Pronounced hi-ra-ka-wa.

In that poster, above his surname, it says "youkoso" in red letters, which means "welcome".

I think the H is pronounced with more of "Ch" sound. 

I posted this earlier in the thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think the H is pronounced with more of "Ch" sound. 

I posted this earlier in the thread.

It's not pronounced with a "ch" sound, but let's split the difference because pronunciation can vary between dialects.

I found this online:

"

Think of ひ as partway between “hi” or English “hee” and “shi”. Keep your lips and teeth separated, Don’t widen your mouth as you would for “hee” and don’t curl your tongue or bring your bottom teeth out as you might for “shee”. Bring the blade of your tongue up against your palate, then blow air through to force a gap open.

Otherwise, just say “hee”. You’ll be understood in most cases.

"

27 minutes ago, Byrd9999 said:

It's not pronounced with a "ch" sound, but let's split the difference because pronunciation can vary between dialects.

I found this online:

"

Think of ひ as partway between “hi” or English “hee” and “shi”. Keep your lips and teeth separated, Don’t widen your mouth as you would for “hee” and don’t curl your tongue or bring your bottom teeth out as you might for “shee”. Bring the blade of your tongue up against your palate, then blow air through to force a gap open.

Otherwise, just say “hee”. You’ll be understood in most cases.

"

Yes, I was trying to find a pair of letters that would explain it easily, I speak some basic Cantonese and the pronunciation is equally important and difficult to differentiate there. Sometimes it's not just the way you say a word, but the meaning of word is different purely from it's position in a sentence, I don't know if that is the same with Japanese though.

Lots of pressing energy, very aware of his positioning without the ball, and it was his press and nibble at the France player that forced them go back and get caught in possession and go 1 behind. 
Japan 1-0 up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

Lots of pressing energy, very aware of his positioning without the ball, and it was his press and nibble at the France player that forced them go back and get caught in possession and go 1 behind. 
Japan 1-0 up.

Yes, his positional sense and pressing nous looks really good. I really like the look the of the Japanese left sided CD too.

• Like 1

Amazing bit of defensive work by Yu in his own box with them in on goal, French commentators kept saying his name after. 

• Like 2

Half time. Managed to watch the majority of it. 

Yu didn't have too much of the ball but on it, he is certainly quick! Good burst of speed and will take it wide or cut inside, so isn't very one-dimensional. Good with both his left and right foot.

Few good crosses. Tends to prefer a low/ground cross, which he may need to change if our suspected game plan is having big tall strikers to head it in 😉

He put a shift in defensively too, tracking back and positioned well. 

Looks good! Hopefully he will have a successful and injury free Olympics!

Side note, Japan's captain and goal scorer 'Joel Fujita'(CM) and their LCB (Kimura) are decent players. French team pretty average.

Edited by HOZDA

On 16/07/2024 at 14:15, alexukhc said:

My bloody DH Gate order too 😂😂😂

I've got a Japan shirt currently en route from China with Hirakawa on it too! 😂😂 Oh well, I think that looks better personally anyway. Yu will just look a bit lost on the shirt I reckon, not enough letters.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ashton Yate said:

I've got a Japan shirt currently en route from China with Hirakawa on it too! 😂😂 Oh well, I think that looks better personally anyway. Yu will just look a bit lost on the shirt I reckon, not enough letters.

Legend, see you at the gate soon 😂

• Like 2

I was just having a look at the official you tube channel, his videos have a few thousand views more than videos without him in. Some really nice comments from Japan regarding Yu. There is definitely some excitement that he is playing for Bristol City. 
I reckon we could have some Japanese supporters visit Ashton Gate. Who live in and around the area.
Really looking forward to seeing him play for us. 

Edited by Red Army 75
  • Like 2
  • Robin 1