IGNORED

Yu Hirakawa - OFFICIALLY SIGNED

Just to remind people that the group games for the football start before the Olympic ceremony takes place. Japan's (and probably Yu's) first game versus Paraguay is on Wednesday at 6pm UK time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

21 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Just to remind people that the group games for the football start before the Olympic ceremony takes place. Japan's (and probably Yu's) first game versus Paraguay is on Wednesday at 6pm UK time.

Any idea if it`s on anywhere mate? Eurosport perhaps?

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Heard from someone on here (with a Japanese football contact) that Hirakawa’s contract was extended by Machida til Jan 2026 before he signed on loan with us.

I presume that the fee we have agreed was agreed after this contract extension so they could push for a bit more money. 

15 minutes ago, Tony Tootle said:

I presume that the fee we have agreed was agreed after this contract extension so they could push for a bit more money. 

I imagine it was all done at the same point with knowledge it wouldn’t be a free transfer, ie Yu not OOC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I use this page to check for live games ....

https://www.live-footballontv.com

Says Eurosport 5 or Discovery + 

I don't have Discovery , but it is showing on Eurosport

I take it we haven't entered a team because of the argument that the other devolved nations could lose their separate status. a real shame it would have been nice to actually see how it would work. 

16 hours ago, bristolissred said:

Does anyone know when he will be available for us 

Depends how deep Japan go in the Olympic football tournament & no one knows the answer to that.

Final is the day before the opening league game, almost certain he won’t be in the squad for that.

18 minutes ago, pillred said:

I take it we haven't entered a team because of the argument that the other devolved nations could lose their separate status. a real shame it would have been nice to actually see how it would work. 

The women do have a team which would have qualified if the Lionesses had done better in the Nations League. That's the reason Team GB haven't got a football team this time. For the men, they only managed to agree it for London 2012.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pillred said:

I'm guessing that's the thinking, though we have entered before. I think it was the London games.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Is Eurosport 5 on Sky?

Not sure , we have Virgin and it's on there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Correct. In London 2012, mainly as we were hosts, special dispensation was given.

1 hour ago, astrondrew said:

The women do have a team which would have qualified if the Lionesses had done better in the Nations League. That's the reason Team GB haven't got a football team this time. For the men, they only managed to agree it for London 2012.

Correct again. For the women’s game, the home nations “nominated” a country to act for them in qualifying, which in view of their European Champions status was England.

Its unlikely, as the Olympics are U23 (so an age not commonly played in international football) and that they coincide with the European championships, that the UK would ever seek to push the envelope on this one in future for the men.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm guessing that's the thinking, though we have entered before. I think it was the London games.

Not sure , we have Virgin and it's on there.

Before we had the nations league to give international firendlies a little more meaning, I thought we could have thought we could have brought back a version of the home championship with the winners representing BG at the Olympics. 

Fascinating footage at half time of the 1924 Olympic final between Uruguay and Switzerland. It was colourised and st normal speed (ie not fast and jerky like reruns of silent films). 

It was remarkably like modern football, with Uruguay looking skilful. Horrible bobbly pitch though!

4 hours ago, astrondrew said:

Does not appear to be any football coverage on the BBC today

Watching the BBC coverage that states Rugby & Football upcoming.............all i have witnessed so far is a bunch of egg chasers........no football so far......what a load of ***

30 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

******* typical. Couldn't bloody make this up

Talk about a late tackle?  That one arrived around Xmas........dirty South American MOFO.......did he get a red?

3 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

If he has an injury that would keep him out the next games, assume he will return here to start treatment 

treatment in japan is brilliant,it would possibly be quicker if he went home for a few weeks, plus we all know our 3 or 4 weeks normally equates to about 15 months

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Talk about a late tackle?  That one arrived around Xmas........dirty South American MOFO.......did he get a red?

Yes

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Clearly this is just the sort of thing Jon meant when he said players might get deconditioned during international breaks if we didn't have them training with us

Thank God we have a medical expert on board- Dr. Jon at your service??

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thank God we have a medical expert on board- Dr. Jon at your service??

It could have been worse.....

Stretcher bearing for Dummies!

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

It could have been worse.....

Stretcher bearing for Dummies!

and for good measure, bonus stretcher bearing!

Well. Ian Gay has had his say. And as normal it’s insightful. “He’ll be on his way  back that’s for sure”. Thanks Captain obvious, I thought after getting an injury he’d decide not to come back.

Absolute weapon.

IMG_3469.jpeg

• Haha 11
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fingers crossed.

About time we got a bit of luck.

Says something about us when our ‘bit of luck’ is just hoping our bad luck isn’t too bad. I bloody hate being City sometimes 😅

• Like 6
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Well. Ian Gay has had his say. And as normal it’s insightful. “He’ll be on his way  back that’s for sure”. Thanks Captain obvious, I thought after getting an injury he’d decide not to come back.

Absolute weapon.

IMG_3469.jpeg

So, Yu says he’s hoping to recover for the next game, but Gay says he’s coming back? 
Which is it? Should we believe Yu or Gay? 

• Haha 5