IGNORED

Yu Hirakawa - OFFICIALLY SIGNED

38 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Club none the wiser on the injury or its severity says LM.

certainly doesn’t scream just a bruise and he’s okay, as has been fed…

Yep. Who would have thought that Japanese Football (600 followers) information gleaned from BristolcityJPN (300 followers) information gleaned from Ian Gay (moron) information gleaned from Brian Tinnion (renowned bullshitter) would be incorrect?

Its a shocker to me I tell you.

Anyway, “As I said….”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

But BTW can we not use translation as an issue here FFS. The Japanese Olympic team/doctor, if not totally fluent in English themselves, will have translators available, apps available etc etc.

This isn’t 1960. A doctor who speaks one language has multiple ways to communicate effectively with the club, so let’s not say “translation is an issue” as that is just another “Dire had work permit issues due to Brexit” and totally false.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

But BTW can we not use translation as an issue here FFS. The Japanese Olympic team/doctor, if not totally fluent in English themselves, will have translators available, apps available etc etc.

This isn’t 1960. A doctor who speaks one language has multiple ways to communicate effectively with the club, so let’s not say “translation is an issue” as that is just another “Dire had work permit issues due to Brexit” and totally false.

Aye, reminds me of when LJ blamed jet lag as to why we got spanked by Palace in pre season

Silvio said 'Yep. Who would have thought that Japanese Football (600 followers) information gleaned from BristolcityJPN (300 followers) information gleaned from Ian Gay (moron) information gleaned from Brian Tinnion (renowned bullshitter)'

gosh i love your bluntness and so so accurate  :clap::clap:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I had nothing to do with it :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yep. Who would have thought that Japanese Football (600 followers) information gleaned from BristolcityJPN (300 followers) information gleaned from Ian Gay (moron) information gleaned from Brian Tinnion (renowned bullshitter) would be incorrect?

Its a shocker to me I tell you.

Anyway, “As I said….”

Are we just a club full of "fibbers" I could use another word and the Japanese can speak better english than most of us  😂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, petehinton said:

Club none the wiser on the injury or its severity says LM.

certainly doesn’t scream just a bruise and he’s okay, as has been fed…

Guy I trust on X who follows Japanese football said he’s been ruled out of their two group games but not the tournament (yet). Quotes an article in Japanese that doesn’t have a translate function.

That version seems both possible & credible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

21 hours ago, Harry said:

So Gay has gone from “he’ll be on his way back that’s for sure” to it being “not very serious” and “a decision to be taken soon as to whether he flys back”. 

You couldn’t make it up. Well, actually you could. And he did. 
🤣

Never met him but he really does come across as an odd individual.   he communicates as if he's some sage.  As you say it's mostly utter bollocks or so obvious there was no point saying it.

Zero insight.

13 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Good point. Although doctors will probably be educated at a high enough level to speak English competently - English being the universal language of the medical profession nowadays - Japanese generally are famously poor at learning foreign languages.

They are the "Brits" of Asia in that respect. 

22 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

There’s this thing called google translate - it’s not difficult to translate any language 🤔

• Hmmm 1

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Guy I trust on X who follows Japanese football said he’s been ruled out of their two group games but not the tournament (yet). Quotes an article in Japanese that doesn’t have a translate function.

If it’s bruising then it’s on average 7-10 days 

As long as the scan doesn’t show any ligament damage then he should be fine 

2 minutes ago, INCRED said:

There’s this thing called google translate - it’s not difficult to translate any language 🤔

Exactly my point.

I have no doubt there is a language barrier (or potential one) on the training pitch. For example, enough English players struggle with instructions like “let it burn” or “miss one” and so on.

But medically - “ankle ligaments, three weeks rest” is pretty easy to translate and not ambiguous- and this is a medical communication.

It lets the club down tbh, as it’s so easy to deconstruct 

17 minutes ago, INCRED said:

If it’s bruising then it’s on average 7-10 days 

As long as the scan doesn’t show any ligament damage then he should be fine 

Google translate is great for telling you how to make everyday conversation, I don't know how good it is at technical medical terms and descriptions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

So he could be injured or he couldn’t is basically what you are saying 

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

54 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Exactly my point.

I have no doubt there is a language barrier (or potential one) on the training pitch. For example, enough English players struggle with instructions like “let it burn” or “miss one” and so on.

But medically - “ankle ligaments, three weeks rest” is pretty easy to translate and not ambiguous- and this is a medical communication.

40 minutes ago, Portishead Puffin said:

Google translate is great for telling you how to make everyday conversation, I don't know how good it is at technical medical terms and descriptions.

image.png.3a40f6f6b234e100c5b07083a08a9e66.png
or

image.png.460f65bea5c49f1c6302b5c2c2690743.png

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Exactly my point.

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

or

Not so sure. I have heard his English is decent. And as a young un, with lessons he should pick it up quickly.

Random thought, Japan's equivalent of Gary Lineker is a bloke from Taunton (supports Taunton T) called Ben Mabley. We should hit him up for translation/advice, if we haven't already. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

or

As you know mate, both of those are not from the Japanese doctor. My point is that a medical diagnosis is pretty easy to communicate across languages.

There is absolutely no reason for a language barrier in respect of an injury

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

My point is that a medical diagnosis is pretty easy to communicate across languages.

Interesting given diagnosis' of injuries can't even be agreed by doctors in Bristol for some of our players injuries over the years.

Japan is an insular country so not necessarily easy to translate. As I said earlier - tap up Ben Mabley! 

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

As you know mate, both of those are not from the Japanese doctor. My point is that a medical diagnosis is pretty easy to communicate across languages.

Japanese to English translation on Google Translate is much improved but can still be unreliable and produce odd results. I'd be wary of relying on it for something as important as this.

Edited by Colemanballs

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Interesting given diagnosis' of injuries can't even be agreed by doctors in Bristol for some of our players injuries over the years.

Japan is an insular country so not necessarily easy to translate. As I said earlier - tap up Ben Mabley! 

Agreed - but tbf that’s difference of opinion as opposed to difficulty of communication.

If we trust the Japanese Olympic medical team then it is simply a case of asking what the injury and prognosis is - whether that’s BM telling us the translation or someone else. Ultimately we’ve just negotiated a transfer deal with the language barrier in place, so asking a doctor what’s up with the player seems far simpler…

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

image.png.7d7bf11c3f61546c44498d25e636166b.png

Although I can speak some Cantonese I have never got to grips with Kanji ( the ideograms that are common to both languages). I think that's the top section which is read top to bottom and right to left. The other two parts are hiragana and katakana. Presumably the most useful part of this translation is the katakana which is the written language using western style language at the bottom, which was developed to explain what foreign words mean in Japanese. 

From what I understand though you need a combination of all three to get the full meaning, and for all I know it might be saying "can you confirm his foot is still in the right place?" One way to test it would be to put all those characters into another translator and see what comes back in English.

But I am sure it's fine because OTIB has an abiding trust in AI translation and knows that all this stuff is dead easy and the club are lying to us for reasons I haven't quite got to the bottom of yet. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Portishead Puffin said:

But I am sure it's fine because OTIB has an abiding trust in AI translation and knows that all this stuff is dead easy and the club are lying to us for reasons I haven't quite got to the bottom of yet. :)

Agreed, there is no reason for the club to lie. If Liam (who comes across as one of the more trustworthy people we have at the club) says the translation is causing a problem then I'm inclined to believe him. Unfortunately, inaccuracies/lies/complete and utter bollocks stated by others on stuff like expectations, deconditioning, work permits and the like affects the way people see club communications.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Portishead Puffin said:

Although I can speak some Cantonese I have never got to grips with Kanji ( the ideograms that are common to both languages). I think that's the top section which is read top to bottom and right to left. The other two parts are hiragana and katakana. Presumably the most useful part of this translation is the katakana which is the written language using western style language at the bottom, which was developed to explain what foreign words mean in Japanese. 

From what I understand though you need a combination of all three to get the full meaning, and for all I know it might be saying "can you confirm his foot is still in the right place?" One way to test it would be to put all those characters into another translator and see what comes back in English.

Because that is what the club do.

14 minutes ago, Henry said:

Surely as he is on loan to us, his parent club are the ones who need to decide how his treatment is handled?

You'd think that would be the case - no different from when any domestic loan gets seriously injured & returns to their parent club.

If it's just bruising, I'd expect him to stay with us - if it's more serious & needs rehabilitation, I'd expect him to go back to Japan for that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You'd think that would be the case - no different from when any domestic loan gets seriously injured & returns to their parent club.

If it's just bruising, I'd expect him to stay with us - if it's more serious & needs rehabilitation, I'd expect him to go back to Japan for that.

If it is more serious, I would think it would be better if he went back to Japan as he will have a better support network there..

1 minute ago, extonsred said:

If he was badly injured he'd be back by now surely!!

I wouldn't have thought the swelling from snow impact like that will have gone yet, which I believe makes scans difficult to read accurately - so I'd think there's every chance nobody actually knows the extent of things yet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Portishead Puffin said:

It’s all Greek to me! 🤣

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If Yu is successful and we want to continue working in that market, you're right, we would look a far better prospect for other Japanese players if we can show we have structure in place to help them acclimatise. Even little things like food choices, (look at the Portugal videos where he is scanning the buffet for something familiar :) ) accommodation and so on can seem so alien. 

If we want to be taken seriously over there we need to take the whole process seriously.

@Silvio Dante , I was only being partly facetious about the translation thing, but I don't quite understand why you think the club would need to hide behind that as an issue.

I could understand it more if your point was, as I alluded to above, look how badly we are prepared as a club to communicate with a player that we have presumably paid a lot of money for, and his representatives. That is something that definitely needs to discussed.

• Flames 1

• Admin
On 28/07/2024 at 13:28, downendcity said:

image.png.2b8057e4f60adf1da1c1e87a21c9fb64.png

Ancient Samurai saying.

" When new signing is injured hope for the best, but fear the worst".

Sadly sounds like a new update is not the news we wanted to hear

• Confused 1

It would be the most typical Bristol City thing ever for our new signing to be injured before even kicking a ball in anger for the first team.....

13 minutes ago, Taz said:

It would be the most typical Bristol City thing ever for our new signing to be injured before even kicking a ball in anger for the first team.....

We know he's injured, it's just how badly.

Still waiting for @phantom to expand on his comment above.

On 28/07/2024 at 08:18, Numero Uno said:

Agreed, there is no reason for the club to lie. If Liam (who comes across as one of the more trustworthy people we have at the club) says the translation is causing a problem then I'm inclined to believe him. Unfortunately, inaccuracies/lies/complete and utter bollocks stated by others on stuff like expectations, deconditioning, work permits and the like affects the way people see club communications.

Wasn’t it Liam who said Mabude had visa issues that were proven false?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

I raise you Andrius Velička, minutes after kicking a ball for the first time.

45 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Or George Elokobi . 

Or Danni Rodrigues . 

34 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Or Sam Vokes.

It's lucky that we haven't got a history of this happening .:shocking:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Can you just tell us how long? If you know more than we do.

11 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

That would be useful wouldn’t it. Rather than the ‘I know but I’m not telling you’ approach. 

While I tend to agree, unless you're Ian with Tinnion- compromising sources by revealing more than is permitted could see the source dry up, the source get in trouble internally or both.

Basic journalism principles applied here. @phantom appears to be able to reveal up to a certain point but not beyond potentially.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

While I tend to agree, unless you're Ian with Tinnion- compromising sources by revealing more than is permitted could see the source dry up, the source get in trouble internally or both.

Basic journalism principles applied here. @phantom appears to be able to reveal up to a certain point but not beyond potentially.

I do accept that may be the case. It’s no less frustrating all the same. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

I do accept that may be the case. It’s no less frustrating all the same. 

Agreed.

The lack of comms by the club or the erratic by the club doesn't help at all. Ian as a conduit for assorted info is unprofessional and dysfunctional in the extreme.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed.

The lack of comms by the club or the erratic by the club doesn't help at all. Ian as a conduit for assorted info is unprofessional and dysfunctional in the extreme.

I find it incredibly difficult to understand why there’s been nothing definitive announced yet. You’d expect for him to have been properly assessed by now. 

• Like 1